• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,305 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,305

PreviousChapters Next
Wanna Be Where the Sirens Are

The undertrolley shook and rattled a few times before hitting the water. After the initial jolt, the rest of the ride became smooth, with the cabin gently swaying every half-minute or so. Rainbow Dash looked out the porthole in time to see splashing waves of water rippling over the hull. Then all was bubbles and liquid obscurity.

“The trolley spans nearly three miles' worth of cables,” Theanim Mane explained. Electric lights dimmed and flickered overhead as the vessel hummed along. “Initially descending at a gentle forty-five degrees, then sharpening into a twenty degree plummet as we reach the—”

“Reckon we get the picture, Doc,” Bard said. “Besides, things ain't getting' turbulent until we get into Shoggoth proper.”

“Remember, Mr. Bard, that fighting is a last resort,” Theanim said with a glare. “Our goal is to win the approval of the Syndicate for entrance.”

Bard smirked. “I thought our goal was to lay the smackdown on the Auction House place.”

“Well... yes,” Theanim said, squirming slightly. “That is part of the end goal, indeed, but up until our hoof is dealt we need to lay low. 'Play it cool, as t'were.'”

Rarity giggled while Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes.

“Well, shouldn't be too dayum hard,” Bard said, smirking. “So long as we've got friends in invisible places.” He looked over at Rainbow. “Right, Missy?”

Rainbow sighed. “...let it rest.”

“Now, no reason to be rude-like to yer fine companions.”

With a frown, Rainbow said, “I still don't get why Theanim even told you about... about...”

The Doctor cleared his throat. “Once more, I felt that—given our current circumstances—it'd be helpful if the entire team knew what we were facing as well as what we had at our disposal.”

“Also, yer scientist buddy was a tad bit hysterical at the sight of you bein' all seizure-like,” Bard said with a wink and a smirk.

“Awwwwwww...” Twilight cooed. Rainbow looked at her and the unicorn shrugged. “Sorry. I just think it's sweet.”

“Trust me, Miss Dash,” Theanim spoke. “I had no intention of sullying your reputation with crazy proclamations.”

“Though they are pretty crazy,” Echo muttered from the floor.

“Hey!” Bard swatted the sarosian with his hoof. “Dun be cruel!” Clearing his throat, he looked across the way at Rainbow, smiling. “So, what are the names of yer crazy hallucinations?”

Wildcard nodded with a curious glint of his goggles.

Frowning, Rainbow said, “They're not hallucinations.” With a shudder, she hugged herself and gazed out the dark blue porthole. “And I don't see why I should tell you what their names are.”

“Rainbow, honestly.” Rarity smiled. “Haven't they helped us enough as it is?”

“And haven't we helped them?” Twilight added.

Rainbow muttered in a quiet voice: “If I tell everypony that I have literal invisible friends helping me around, then I'm gonna get lynched before I even cross Rohbredden.”

“Well, good timing, darling!” Rarity suppressed a giggle. “Down here, your body would float off the noose!”

“Unnngh...” Twilight face-hoofed. “Rarity...”

Before Rainbow could say anything, Bard spoke: “Reckon I understand why you'd wanna be closed off.” He leaned back, stretching his legs. “Mmmf... lots of crazy magical shiet happens in this world, and at least half of them are pretty embarrassing-like. It's hard enough keepin' track of one friend, much less multiple invisible buddies that I can't shake loose worth a dayum.” He stifled a yawn. “Hell, some of the Desperadoes' bounties in the past have been no-good varmints who done stole accursed treasures from locations that had to be brought back in order to stop an evil spell from houndin' villages. Half the time, we can't make sense of it, but it means a lot to the ponies involved. So we're happy to be of service.”

Wildcard rubbed two talons together.

“Oh, and get paid, of course.”

Wildcard nodded.

“So... uhm...” Rainbow squirmed where she sat. “If... if I t-told you that I've been haunted by the spirits of dead friends because I'm a living flux between Harmony and Chaos... you'd believe me?”

“... … ...probably not,” Bard said.

Wildcard let loose a breathy snicker and continued whittling away at the wood.

Rainbow rolled her eyes and slumped down, resting a grumpy chin on her forelimbs.

“Heh...” Bard tipped his hat back. “But, let's face it. Stranger thangs have happened in this world. And—hell—you havin' ghost buddies would explain how you was able to help us do the heist so expert-like. I mean... considerin' you never done heist'd before.”

“Let's just stop talking, please,” Rainbow grumbled.

“Rainbow...” Twilight sighed.

“Have it yer way.” Bard shrugged. “Invisible friends are one thang. But flesh and blood buddies? Them ain't easy to make. And trust me, lil' Missy, you've done made good pals with the Desperadoes.”

Wildcard nodded.

“Now there's a bucket kicked,” Echo slurred.

“I'm serious!” Bard smiled. “You'd make a great Desperado. You're tenacious, quick, lucrative. Basically, yer a big fuzzy blue bottle of luck.” He motioned with his head. “You even got us to take in new sights.”

“Hmmm?” Rainbow turned to look out the porthole. A bright eye darted around, affixed to a curious grin.

“Aaaaaiiiie!” Rarity jumped, clinging to Twilight.

“Guh! Rarity...!” Twilight seethed, her and the other spectre toppling over.

Rainbow blinked, muzzle agape. Outside the porthole, a pony swam backwards—only it wasn't a pony. An equine shape with blurring fins and a looping tail spun circles, grinning wildly. Two glistening bodies shot past her, trailing bubbles and liquid streams. They looked at one another, spun in twirling motions, and descended with whip-like thrashes of their long tails.

They weren't along. Soon, full herds... no... schools of the creatures descended from the higher ocean. A huge, elaborate formation dragged nets and cages behind them, trapping all manner of fish and crustaceans.

“Ah... a most glorious sight,” Theanim said, shuffling closer towards the porthole with a smile. “We're witnesses to a regular hunt.” He pointed. “No doubt they're taking advantage of the rich bounty that the latest stream has brought this way. Shoggoth is in a strategic location, after all.”

“They...” Rainbow's muzzle quivered. “...they have fins.” She gulped. “And... and...?”

“Gills? Yes.” Theanim nodded. “Quite different from you and me, and yet so very similar.” Rainbow jumped as a few more drifted close by. They looked at one another, their faces changing expressions though their muzzles didn't move. “Telepathic communication. It's quite necessary, you see, at least between individuals of the sea pony populace.”

“Seaponies?” Rainbow remarked. “You mean these aren't—?”

Theanim shook his head. “Sirens are rare specimens among the Underwater Tribe. They hold positions of power and authority—such as Camellia.” He pointed out the porthole. “Seaponies, for lack of a better term, make up the feudal peasantry.”

“They seem happy enough...” Rainbow muttered.

“Yes. A most glorious trait.” Theanim waved.

One seapony caught his motion through the corner of her eyes. She twirled around and waved a pink fin before smiling and bolting off with a trail of bubbles. She and her companions joined the rest of the hunt as they gathered in the nets and cages. The group headed collectively towards a promontory of coral, and that's how Rainbow Dash realized they were approaching the ocean floor.

“Ah... here we are...” Theanim remarked. “Shoggoth shouldn't be that far away.”

“We're getting' to the lower reaches?” Bard sat up straight, straightening his mane. “Whew doggy! Lemme know when we get to see some sizzlin' scrumptious mermares!”

“Ungh...” Echo smacked his skull against the trolley's bulkheads. “Somepony kill me now...”

PreviousChapters Next