• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,303 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,303

PreviousChapters Next
Only Through Circles It Finds Itself

The golem repeated in a booming voice. “Without, it dies. Withholding, it suffers. Within, it balances. Only through circles does it find itself.”

Rarity rubbed the edge of her hoof into her ear. “Eugh... d-does it have to be so terribly loud and menacing in how it delivers the prompt?”

“Shhhh!” Twilight frowned. “Stop complaining, Rarity, and let's help Rainbow Dash figure this out!” Twilight spun to look at the pegasus. “Were any of the previous questions just as strange and cryptic as this one?”

“Yeah,” Rainbow muttered aside, nodding. “But each of them were answered with a different word from the ancients.”

“Huh? Wait, you mean like 'Eljunbyro'—?”

“Right. But also 'Yaerfaerda' and 'Odrsjot' and 'Innavedr.' Each one brought back one of you guys from being frozen or missing,” Rainbow sneered. She then gulped. “But I have no friggin' idea what this means.”

“Perhaps Mr. Roboglacier here is describin' the estrus cycle!” Bard said.

“Dude, shut up!” Rainbow growled.

The Desperado shrugged. “Dun bite my head off! After all, yer deliberatin' with yer invisible cheerleaders, ain't ya?”

“That's different! They're less straw-headed!”

“The buck does that mean?!” Bard growled.

Wildcard gestured—but the stallion batted his talons away.

“Dun laugh, ya moltin' pigeon!” He snarled.

“You are delaying for time,” the construct declared.

“I am not!” Rainbow's voice cracked. She flashed a look aside. “I could really use yer friggin' help here, egghead.”

“Why?” Rarity stammered. “Are we in a hurry?”

“I have three chances to answer right or else... uh...” Rainbow gulped. “We might be stuck here forever.”

“Eeeep!” Rarity yelped, then wrung Twilight's shoulders. “Please, Twilight! You must egghead it! You must!

“I... can't... think... when... I'm... shaking!” Twilight shook herself out of Rarity's frantic grasp. “Thank you!” The unicorn paced in a floating circle. “Let's see... 'Without,' 'Withholding,' 'Within...'” She glared directly into nothingness, eyes filled with dense thought. “'Dies,' 'suffers,' 'balances...'

“Uhhhh...” Rainbow Dash fidgeted. “Not to make you hurry or nothing, Twilight, but...” She gulped. “...you might wanna hurry.”

Twilight looked up. “You've already detected a pattern of answers using these old runes you've learned. Are there any more left that you haven't covered?”

“Uhm...” Rainbow Dash swatted her head with tiny hoofstrokes. “...there's still 'Austraeoh' and 'Urohringr,' I guess. But... y'know... I'm one of those things and the other is—”

Circles!” Twilight squeaked, grinning wide. “The riddle includes 'only through circles does it find itself'! Rainbow, haven't you told me that yours and Bellesmith's visions of Urohringr were that of a giant, circular ringworld separated into curved planes?”

“Just like the one we're on!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed. “That holds Equestria and Ledomare and everything!”

“Exactly!” Twilight grinned. “Originally, before it broke apart, it was like a circle! Maybe Verlax somehow caught wind of that! I mean, she's infiltrated the Machine World at least twice already, right? Here and at Nealend?”

“Whatever yer thinkin', darlin', you'd better spit it out quick!” Bard muttered. “I think it's getting' antsy.”

“Okay... okay.” Rainbow turned and faced the automaton. “Is the answer 'Urohringr?'”

“Incorrect.”

Rarity flinched while Twilight gasped. “What?!” Twilight blinked. “But... b-but how...?”

“It would have been too easy,” Rainbow grumbled.

Wildcard gestured. Bard looked at his talons, then over at Rainbow. “'Maybe if y'all gave it in the form of a question?'”

“Not helping...” Rainbow said.

“Well, hell...” Bard raised his staff. “What if we all just said 'buck it' and charged the dayum thing?”

“No go.” Rainbow shook her head. “I already tried it.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. With your staff too.”

“H-hey!” Bard grinned wide. “Awesome!” A metal talon swatted his skull. Whap!Ow!” He winced, rubbing his head. “Y'know, that friggin' smarts without the hat.”

“I don't understand...” Twilight murmured, sinking to the floor with a wilted expression. “If the answer's not Urohringr... then what is it? I mean... it can't be 'Austraeoh,' can it?”

Rainbow Dash tongued the inside of her mouth. Blinking, she turned her head and opened her mouth towards the golem.

“No. NO!!” Twilight barked, eyes jolting. “Don't waste it! We have to think!

“There there, Twilight...” Rarity patted the mare's shoulders. “We must be calm and elegant about this...” Her words trailed off. Blinking, Rarity turned around and squinted at the door that they had entered through—which was now shut tight and frozen solid. “...circles...”

“Huh?” Both Twilight and Rainbow Dash looked over.

“That door was full of circles. Half of them were lit. The other half weren't.” She glanced at Rainbow. “I'm curious. Is this the first time you've encountered such a unique symbol?”

“No,” Rainbow said.

“We saw it at the Nealend Atoll,” Twilight explained. “Well... I saw it. Rainbow Dash was too blinded by it at the time. She had to see it through a photograph that Mr. Mane took.”

“But I could see the door this time,” Rainbow said. “It was... less bright, somehow.”

“Also, the colors of the circles changed, apparently,” Twilight thought aloud. “Before we freed you, Rarity, only two of the circles were lit up. But then, after you were freed...”

“One glowed a bright white shine, am I correct?” Rarity batted her eyelashes, then looked Rainbow's way. “Rainbow, darling, I do believe these circles have a purpose in all this. Symbolically, at least.”

Rainbow twitched, blinking hard. “'Purpose...'”

“Huh?” Twilight craned her neck. “What is it?”

“'Within, it balances,'” Rainbow Dash droned. “Harmony and chaos. Frantic companionship... Eljunbyro bringing the wind to the spark's wings...”

“Yes, but what does it all mean?” Twilight remarked. “At least... in Verlax's eyes, how does it all fit together?”

“That's just it... Verlax has beaten me to these Seeds,” Rainbow said, ruby eyes focused on Yaerfaerda's frozen beacon. “Nopony or nothing has ever beaten me before. I mean... Sure, I-I guess there was Madame Nightshade and the flame from the beacon along the Xonan border... but despite all her wisdom, devices, and science—she couldn't figure any of the Ancient stuff out from what she scavenged deep in the Machine World. But Verlax... has somehow.” She gulped. “Through chaos or whatever, just like Nevlamas... only Verlax has got her head together.”

“I... I'm afraid you're starting to lose us, Rainbow Dash,” Twilight remarked.

“Yes. Let's not overthink things.”

“Does the Austraeoh have an answer?” the golem persisted.

Rainbow Dash took a deep breath. “Verlax's eyes have pierced the flame... but her voice hasn't.” Rainbow's jaw hung agape. “...she hasn't heard what I've heard... the voice!”

“Huh?” Twilight blinked hard.

Bard tilted his head aside. “Voice?!”

Rainbow clenched her eyes shut. She took a deep breath and trotted through an invisible curtain of ruby flames. She imagined she was floating over a curved plane with stars and chaotic nebulae hanging in the cosmic distance. The world rolled beneath her, a constant circle, full of life and death, order and disorder. Ponies helped one another. Ponies murdered one another. Joy and suffering existed hoof-and-hoof, through peace and war, the rise and fall of empires. Celestia and Luna's brilliance stretched far and wide, but even they couldn't cover everything. Nothing could cover the vastness.

Nothing... but a single set of wings, flying east and never stopping. She was alone, and yet she wasn't. Companions clung to her. Ancients prophesied her.

And a voice spoke to her, a voice Rainbow had heard more than once, on deep excursions to salvage the flame of Yaerfaerda, giving birth to yesterday, and finding her place within the grand purpose of everything... the grand journey of Austraeoh. Light side to dark side to light side. Harmony and chaos. A circle.

Rainbow Dash had heard the word before, and that word was—

“Ynanhluutr.” Rainbow Dash opened her eyes, staring squarely at the golem. “The final answer is 'Ynanhluutr.'” She glared. “Now open the way and give me back my friend.”

Rarity, Twilight... Bard and Wildcard...

Everyone watched in tense silence as the golem stared back, its blue eyes bright and soulless.

PreviousChapters Next