• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,304 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,304

PreviousChapters Next
Ponies of the Old Rust Republic

“If you ask me, Rainbow Dash, this place is already prepared to go up in smoke,” Twilight Sparkle said. She pointed a spectral hoof at the Syndicate's Stronghold just two blocks away from the rooftop where they were perched. A thick crowd of angry citizens had gathered at the bottom row of steps, shouting angry words at the gates of the ninth story. A line of guards at the front entrance held them back, glaring. “Even if they don't know the truth of the arson bombings, they're ready for any excuse to kick the Syndicate's Boss out.”

“Twilight makes a valid point,” Rarity remarked. “I get the feeling that if we were only a few days late, then there'd be nothing left to pilfer. The citizens would have broken into the stronghold and ransacked it themselves.”

“That's such a cute word,” Rainbow Dash muttered, hiding from the Syndicate's sights.

Rarity blinked. “What is?”

“'Pilfer,'” Rainbow Dash said. She turned to glance over her shoulder. “You do realize that what we're about to do is rob a whole bunch of ponies blind.”

Rarity and Twilight exchanged glances. They looked at Rainbow and nodded.

“We know, Rainbow.”

“You can count on us to assist you, darling.”

“So...” Rainbow squinted. “This doesn't bother you in any way?”

“Rainbow...” Twilight smiled calmly. “I know I must have come across as a goody-goody-two-horseshoes as of late. But you must understand, I'm still getting used to this part of the world.” She gulped. “And all its nastiness.”

“If we didn't think you were making the right kind of judgment call here, darling, we wouldn't be supporting you.” Rarity tilted her chin up. “And Twilight's fastidious moral compass is simply a silly consequence of her sheltered upbringing.”

Twilight gazed limply at Rarity. “Thanks, Rarity,” she droned. “Didn't realize we had resurrected Applejack so darn soon.”

“Oh, don't be so offended by it, darling.” Rarity smiled. “Let's just say that I'm more inherently open to this little heist here than you are.”

“Is that a fact...?”

“If robbery and extortion is the only sort of language that these ruffians know, then perhaps it is for the best that Rainbow Dash uses something similar to speak with them.”

“But we're not doing this to deliver some... message,” Twilight thought out loud.

“Indeed. But we are—in a way—doing it for the locals, who will be a great deal better off without the Syndicate.”

“And so... that legitimizes outright burglary?” Rainbow Dash remarked.

“We've already made it clear that we support you, Rainbow,” Rarity said. She squinted. “Are you having second thoughts?”

“I just...” Rainbow squirmed slightly. “I just want to make sure that you girls are okay with what I'm doing here.” She gulped. “And not just... y'know... along for the ride.” She sighed, staring off at the Syndicate building once more. “I know that I'm doing all of this to get Pinkie back and m-more... but... but there's gonna be fireworks for sure...”

Twilight giggled. “And what does Pinkie Pie love more than fireworks, Rainbow?”

“Nnngh... you know what I mean, Twilight.”

“Rainbow, look at it my way...” Rarity drifted around her, smiling. “You're out her to do more than just rescue your ghostly companions of old. You're endeavoring to save the whole world... to bless each and every culture with harmony, one flight at a time, until the entire plane has been born anew. That's a great deal of time, sweat, and blood that you're giving... and giving freely!”

Rainbow smiled tiredly. “So, am I 'generosity' now?”

“By proxy, I'm apt to agree.” Rarity pointed at the stronghold. “And sometimes the best way to give a gift is to take something away. The ponies here would be very thankful to know who it was who stripped the Syndicate of their monetary backbone.”

“Yeah, well, we're not sticking around long enough for that to happen,” Rainbow said, rolling her eyes.

“Uhh!” Rarity exhaled, tossing her mane. “Rainbow Dash, I just don't know how you do it!”

Twilight giggled.

With a smirk, Rainbow motioned towards the Stronghold. “How's it feeling?”

“Eleven structures, three of which are underwater,” Rarity said with a nod. “Just as Echo described it. And I also sense a thick compartment—the vault—along with what appears to be several large cylinders leading from the heart of the structure and into the waters beneath Rust.”

“The flood pumps,” Twilight remarked. “So Echo was telling the truth.”

“So far, so good,” Rainbow muttered. “What about a unicorn guarding the vault?”

Twilight clutched her skull, leaning forward with clenched eyes. Her horn strobed a few times, and the unicorn said, “There's a signature there. Very faint—but that's just how a unicorn feels to me.” She turned her head around. “Sorry, but... I-I've been paying attention to Wildcard's signature all this time. He's at least five levels below us.”

“Feels like he's in the Dust District, then,” Rarity said.

“So he's getting into position, great.” Rainbow Dash took a deep breath. “'Cuz things are about to hit off.” She pointed at the front entrance to the Stronghold. “Don't look now... but I think a certain Boss is showing up.”

The first half of the Elements of Harmony leaned over the edge of the building. They observed as the crowd grew even rowdier, louder. The presence of an earth pony drew many loud shouts and accusatory remarks from the citizens gathered densely at the bottom of the steps.


“Boss!” A frazzled guard spun about, gasping. He watched as the thick front doors slid shut, and an orange stallion trotted down the steep metal steps. Gulping, the guard galloped up to his side and spoke with a cracking voice, “Where've you been all this time?! This city's about to burst!”

“Rust is always about to burst,” grumbled the stallion, gazing down at the angry locals. “We're the glue holding it together. Don't forget that.”

“But Boss... Boss Revan... have you forgotten about all those stupid lucky bastards who survived the blast yesterday?!” The guard bit at his fetlocks, shivering. “If... if those ponies saw something... anything... then we're done for!”

“Look at these ingrates. All these years we've protected them from the elements... from pirates... from economic collapse... and this is what it's all come to? A lynch mob?” With a deep sigh, Revan tilted around, his sleepy eyes rolling under a two-toned mane of gray and white hair. “I swear... I spoil these ponies rotten.”

“Boss, the only thing that's rotting is our reputation!” the guard hissed. “We don't have enough paid hooves to control them if they even think of storming past the front gate—”

“Shhhhhh... oh ye of little balls...” Revan gently patted the guard's head before violently shoving him aside. He marched down the steps, one icy hoof after another. “Watch a professional in action.”

Upon seeing the leader of the Rust Syndicate descend the steps, the crowd surged forward, held back by a thin line of guards.

“I came here for one reason and one reason alone!” Revan spoke slowly, firmly. His voice was a few cool decibels below absolutely shouting, which forced the crowd to lower their riotous volume, giving him authority over the air. “And that's to say 'you're welcome.'”

“Welcome?!” A stallion in the crowd spat. “We have bounty hunters smashing our streets to bits!”

“You're welcome for the commerce that runs liberally through those streets,” Revan said.

“Our buildings are burning!” a mare hollered. “One fire after another—”

“You're welcome for the emergency teams who have been organized well enough to extinguish those fires in minutes.”

“This place is turning to a big steaming pile of—”

“You're welcome...” Boss Revan glared. “...for dry metal to stand on. For not having to drown in the depths of the ocean. For not being consumed by the ghastly beasts that populate the Queen's Unchecked Oceans.” His bagged eyes swam over the crowd like a razor blade. “For not becoming the labor and sex slaves of coral-addicted pirates on the high seas.”

The audience fell into an anxious murmur.

Revan stepped within bucking range, but not a single citizen lifted a hoof against him. “All these years, ponies like myself and the Bosses ahead of me have assured Rust's economic survival against certain subterfuge. You think you're angry?” He shook his head. “You're not angry enough... not unless you have something to die for. But that's what my stallions and my stallions alone have done for you!” He was shouting at this point, waving an angry hoof. “Each and every year! They give their blood! They give their sweat! They give their lives... so that you may enjoy yours.” His nostrils flared as he brought his volume down to an icy level. “Now... what do you really want from me? To disappear? And just who picks up the pieces of Rust after I'm gone? Hmmm? Who here is willing to send his very own sons and daughters into the gaping maw of avarice and come out with even the tiniest morsel of capital to gleam a civilized existence off of?”

One by one, the ponies clammed shut. Many of them couldn't look the leader in the eye—a very normal thing.

“It's very easy to be mad. What's hard... is being in charge. So, once again, I say... you're welcome...” Boss Revan bowed low, then stood back up with a cool glare. “And—by your good graces—I will continue to be both... so that none of you have to be. This far from Queen Verlaxion's icy bastions...” He slowly shook his head. “...we can't afford to be anything but safe.”

The air was silent, save for a few coughing breaths.

“Now... there's a place for complaints.” He pointed casually to an office situated perpendicular to the outer gates of the Stronghold. “You know just where to send them to, and you know the process by which we examine them. Be respectful... be civilized... and I promise to deal in like-mind. And as for the fires that have swept this city, I'll say again what I've said before.” Revan's eyes narrowed. “We will get to the bottom of them... so long as we remain calm and remain loyal to one another. Do you understand that?”

Several heads nodded sullenly.

“Good. And let that be the end of it. Have a lovely afternoon.” Slicking his two-toned mane back, Boss Revan swiveled away from the crowd and marched back up the steps. “...friggin' box of pussies, I swear to Verlaxion...

Then, from the distance, like a warm sunrise: “A-a-ahem... not so fast there, boss-dude. Reckon I wouldn't be gallopin' away so quick-like if I were you.”

Revan lurched to a stop, his teeth grinding together. “Rrrrgh...” He slowly turned around. “...who in the shit is that, now...?”

“Howdy! So very nice of ya to make eye contact!” A figure shuffled up to the front steps with a bound pony slung over his back. As the crowd parted ways, the pegasus looked up, tilted his Stetson back, then smirked. “I heard y'all ordered a batpony delivery...?”


“What's going on, Rainbow Dash?” Rarity asked, craning her neck. “Is that what I think it—?”

“Shhhh!” Rainbow Dash hissed. “Wait for Twi!”

On cue, the unicorn zipped back in a lavender streak. She smiled cheekishly. “It's a go!”

“Heck yeah...” Rainbow cracked the joints in her neck and started stretching her wings. “Get your eyes ready, guys. And remember: follow the cowcolt's lead...”

PreviousChapters Next