• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,307 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,307

PreviousChapters Next
It Is Always Nighttime Down Here

High above Shoggoth... the sea ponies... and the ocean water...

A bright sun rose over the eastern horizon. It cast glinting rays across the jutting rock bluffs and metal platforms of upper Shoggoth. Several stallions rushed back and forth between their stations while the door to the Mark Two closed shut.

“That's the last of the supplies,” muttered one stallion to another. He pivoted about, faced a control tower, and swung his hoof out over the edge of the platform. “All clear!” he shouted.

“All clear!” His exclamation was echoed again and again across the platforms. Stallions gave the docks a wide berth. Meanwhile, the mana engines of the Mark Two grew brighter and brighter with heated intensity.

“Good work, fellas,” spoke the foreman, trotting down the line of stallions. “Keep this up, and the Southern Hoof will increase all our pay.”

“About friggin' time,” muttered one stallion, out of line.

The foreman swiveled to glare at him. “What was that?”

The pony bit his lip. “N-nothing, sir.”

“That's what I thought.” He turned to give a signal to the Mark Two... when he froze, his features slack. He craned his neck, lips pursing.

Several of the other workers turned to look.

A metal image was glinting along the northern horizon, occupying the exact path that the Mark Two would otherwise be using to disembark.

“...the Hell?!” The foreman slurred while a loud commotion rang around him. He signaled the control tower. “Abort! Abort! There's another Arrowfish in the way!”

Several ponies exchanged confused glances.

“Huh?!”

“The Mark One?!

“What's it do back so soon?!

“Maybe it has engine trouble...?”

Around this time, the signal had reached the still-docked Mark Two. The blue engines cut off. Several disgruntled sailors and unicorns emerged from the ship's hatches, clamoring for an explanation.

Meanwhile, a speedboat roared out from the bluffs of Upper Shoggoth and met up with the incoming Arrowfish. The Mark One had already slowed down, and it pivoted broadside to meet the tiny craft. The starboard hatch swung open midway down the ship's hull.

“What's the meaning of this?!” One of the workers in the speedboat shouted, frowning. “You should be in Rust right now—” Suddenly, his pupils shrank. “Verlaxion's Sleet! ...Revan?” He gulped. “Boss Revan?!”

The stallion in question leaned out the door, snarling: “Get me down into Shoggoth, now!

“What's wrong?! Why are you here?!”

Revan spat: “I'm here to win back the Northern Hoof's fortune!” His eyes narrowed. “...and collect the heads of the flankholes who stole it from me!”


FLASH!

Rainbow's eyes pulsed with a bright green light. She shot up in bed, gasping. Sweat ran down her brow as she looked back and forth across the hotel bedroom.

Rarity and Twilight stopped in mid-conversation to turn and smile at her.

“Oh! Rainbow, darling!”

“Good morning!” Twilight giggled. “At least we think it's morning. Looks like you had a good long sleep...” She paused, then blinked. “Whoah... is something the matter?”

“You look troubled, dear,” Rarity added.

Rainbow gnashed her teeth. Without saying a word to them, she leapt off the back, galloped towards the door, and burst into the main room of the suite.

There, Theanim Mane was already going over a series of photographs with Bard and Wildcard.

“...so if we take the subterranean bridge, we'll attract less attention, allowing you to approach the headquarters unimpeded...”

Wildcard stood up straight, his goggles reflecting the mare's panicked face. He tapped Bard's shoulder.

“Whoah whoah whoah... hold up, Doc.” Bard stood while Theanim turned around. “Howdy, Rainbow Dash. I see ya sweatin'. Should we be sweatin' too?”

“It's Revan!” Rainbow wheezed, trotting forward with urgency. “He's here!”

Dead silence.

“What...?” Bard blinked. “Ya mean in this room?” A metal talon slapped him upside the head. “Ow!”

“He's just arrived! Above us in Upper Shoggoth!” Rainbow's voice cracked. “Somehow... h-he commandeered the Mark One and made it return to the docks!”

Wildcard cocked his head to the side with a confused look.

“Revan's been stripped of all his power and authority!” Bard said, chuckling. “How could he possibly chase us this far?!”

Wildcard gestured.

“Right.” Bard nodded, then looked at Rainbow again. “And how in tarnation would you even know any of this?”

Rainbow bit her lip. While Rarity and Twilight floated next to her, she turned to look at Theanim.

The scientist blinked, staring back at her. His ears twitched. “Princess Camellia...”

Rainbow nodded.

With flaring nostrils, Theanim stood up tall. “I'll go wake Echo.” He turned towards the Desperadoes. “Gentlecolts, there's no more time for lounging about. Whatever we're going to do, we have to do it now.

PreviousChapters Next