• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,298 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,298

PreviousChapters Next
Don't Dash, Don't Tell? Good Luck...

“Well...” Theanim was the first to step into the hotel suite. Dim orange light from the metal ceiling reflected off his mane and goggles as he trotted into the middle of the room, followed by the rest of the group. “...all things considered, it isn't too terribly cramped.”

Two bedrooms,” Echo wheezed. “Praise the Mother of Nightmares...” After Wildcard momentarily pulled loose his bindings, the dazed sarosian limped off into the next room and threw himself onto the first mattress he could find. “Mmmmmfnnghh... probably my last decent bed in ages.

“Just what are you anymore?” Bard asked, scratching his head. “At first, I had ya figured for nocturnal, but now I just plum dunno anymore.”

“I'm dead, that's what,” Echo snarled, curling up into a fuzzy ball. “Close the door. And if I start to smell, just throw me to the sharks...”

Bard cracked the door to the room shut, smiling at the rest of the assembled group. “I gotta say, we'll have no problem makin' him look like a convincin' bounty before the Southern Hoof. He's got the wretch-on-the-run thang down pat!”

“Yes, well, hopefully all of this absurdity will convince him to turn from his conniving ways,” Theanim remarked.

“You really intend to look after the feller? Even after all the hogwash that's gone down?”

“But of course!” Theanim set his things down, examining his camera bag. “He and I go way back. And, truth be told...” He fidgeted a bit in place. “...I feel somewhat... erm... responsible for his current state of being.”

“Ya didn't exactly go back in time and write 'flankhole' into his DNA, Doc.”

“Even still, Mister Bard, a commitment's a commitment. I'm certain you'd be just as honorable with the likes of Wildcard.”

“Mmmm. Reckon so. But he dun smell nearly as bad.”

Wildcard shuffled past, motioning something with his talons.

“Hah!” Bard smirked. “Well, good thang ya gave up eatin' carrion years ago, mofo!”

During this entire exchange, Rainbow Dash had trotted slowly towards the looming balcony on the far edge of the suite. Her nervous eyes darted left and right.

A wide black swath opened to rippling sea water. Rainbow could only spot a craggy chunk of rock and several strands of waving kelp. A school of fish swam by, followed by a stingray or two. With a pensive shudder, the mare leaned forward, raised her hoof... ... ... and made contact with a curved sheet of glass.

“Whew...” She exhaled, ears folding back as she smiled. She delighted at the sight of her breath fogging against the transparent glossy material. Just a few inches beyond the barrier, she could detect the tell-tale quiver of a layer of magically displaced water. “Echo's not the only pony who can sleep easy.”

“Miss Dash, how's your head?”

“Huh?” Rainbow turned around, then blushed slightly. “Oh... I-I'm in okay shape at the moment.”

“Are you certain?”

“Totally, Doc.”

“Hrmmmff...” Theanim Mane tapped his chin. “Good to know. Still, it wouldn't hurt you and Echo to rest. You've been through a lot.”

“Darn tootin',” Bard said, sitting down on a couch and unloading his things with a tired groan. “Reckon these Desperadoes have just 'bout Despy'd themselves out, too.”

“No crime in admitting that,” Theanim said. “In the meantime, I'd very much like to scope out the local district.” He turned towards the griffon. “Would you care to lend me your eagle eyes, Mr. Wildcard?”

Wildcard nodded.

Theanim smirked slightly. “I trust they are eagle eyes under those goggles.”

The griffon's feathers ruffled a bit, and he pointed an angry talon out the door.

“Right, then.” Theanim tucked his camera away and shuffled off with the bounty hunter in tow. “Rest up. We shouldn't be long.”

Rainbow nodded, then turned to gaze out the balcony again. A lavender shape phased in and out of the water, eventually drifting towards the pegasus with a cooing voice.

“It's... it's just so much to take in,” Twilight said, smiling tiredly. “The magic. The architecture. The sheer scale of peaceful coexistence.

“It's certainly a sight prettier than Rust, that's for sure,” Rainbow said with a nod. “Let's just not forget that the Syndicate is still alive and kicking here.”

“This must have been what you felt like in Val Roa,” Twilight said, stifling a yawn before bearing a sleepy grin. “Surrounded by so much beauty... and yet wary of a creeping evil.”

“I dunno who's greedier,” Rainbow said with a gulp. “Chrysalis or the Southern Hoof. Either way, I'm willing to bet that the Syndicate here just won't give up when push comes to shove.”

“One thing at a time, darling,” Rarity said. She leaned against Twilight, nuzzling her shoulder. “Mmmmmm... such a magical place...”

Twilight giggled. “You're tired, Rarity.”

“Hmmmf...” The mare yawned... and yawned some more. “So are you, Twilight.”

“I'm guessing all of the reserve harmony has run thin,” Twilight said with a delirious chuckle. “Seems ready to recharge.”

“But... I do not wish to...” Rarity nevertheless dangled off Twilight's side, her eyes shut above a dumb grin. “Pinkie Pie... our beloved Pinkie Pie is somewhere deep inside this dazzling city... and we've got to find her.” She yawned, her voice mutating to fit her widening jaws. “Also, siren princesses. Mmmmm... I love princesses.”

“Yeah, who doesn't, right?” Rainbow winked, then pointed at her pendant. “Hop in, girls.”

“But... but there's still the Syndicate to contend with,” Rarity protested. “And you can't navigate this confusing domain with some extra senses...”

“All the more reason for us to take Rainbow up on her advice,” Twilight said, shuffling Rarity's figure. The two drifted closer to Rainbow and her Element. “If we're going to help her, we have to be in complete control of our faculties.”

“Mmmm... faculties...” Rarity exhaled, eyelids fluttering shut. “With... pretty pink bows... and lace...”

Twilight rolled her eyes, then winked at Rainbow. “One track mind, am I right?”

“Take care, Twilight,” Rainbow said. “I'll give the pendant a little shake if there's an emergency.”

“Hopefully it won't come to that,” Twilight said. “Emergencies are always so stressful. I shudder to imagine an emergency at the bottom of the ocean.”

“Don't stress,” Rainbow said, giving the pendant a slight stroke. “Dream of books n'stuff.”

“Way ahead of you.” And—like ribbons of white and lavender light—the two mares disappeared in a flash. Rainbow gasped slightly, then patted the edges of the ruby lightning bolt with a smile, basking in the warmth of the harmonic resonance.

“Givin' yer friends a kiss goodnight?”

“Huh?” Rainbow jolted, turning towards the sound of plucked guitar strings.

Bard sat lazily on the couch. He had his instrument out, and was woefully playing a bluesy tone at a glacial tempo. He looked up from the guitar strings with a neutral expression. “I've long pondered just what that there pendant means to you. Obviously it's a weak spot...”

Rainbow frowned. “Yeah... cuz you tested it once.”

“Heh... do we have to bring up the awkard past?” He winked. “I didn't say it was all weak. It's obviously what makes you strong as well.” He glanced back at his guitar, diverging the tune into something livelier, happier. “So is that where yer friends live or what?”

Rainbow squinted at him. “...does this mean you actually believe what Theanim said about it?”

“Well, reckon there's gotta be a reason for all the glowin', hmmm?” Bard plucked his hat off, revealing his full head of silken brown mane hair. He placed the article onto the couch cushion beside him and took a deep breath. “To tell the truth, I'm more amused than anythang by the idea.” He smiled gently, plucking strings. “Havin' one's best friends hoverin' all around yerself? That's gotta be the best and worst thang ever. Like... how do you even go to the bathroom?”

“The opposite of you,” Rainbow droned. “I use my butt.”

“Heh heh heh heh heh...” Bard smirked, twanging away. He reclined fully on the couch with a masculine sigh. “Ahhhh that's a good one there, Rainbow. Heheh...”

Rainbow cocked her head aside. “You didn't call me 'Missy.'”

“Eeyup.” He arched an eyebrow in her direction. “What about it?”

“I dunno, it's just... just...”

“Do you already miss me flirtin' with ya, darlin'?”

“What? Heck, no!” Rainbow wretched. “I was only... a bit surprised you finally got it out of your system.”

“Well, figured I'd might as well drop it,” Bard muttered. “On account that there's point.”

“Right.” Rainbow shook her head. “I'm just... not in a place where I could humor such a silly thing.”

“Naw, I meant ya ain't into stallions.”

Rainbow Dash did a double-take, jaw agape. “Huh?! What... that...?!” She gritted her teeth. “Dude! How could you even—”

“Oh please, Rainbow...” Bard smirked, glancing at her knowingly. “Anypony with workin' peepers could see ya practically droolin' over those showmares we brushed by a few hops back.”

Rainbow recoiled hard, her cheeks instantly blazing. A nervous hoof clamped over her lightning bolt, as if trying to drown the sound of Bard's voice out.

“And—goddess have mercy—I sure as Hell can't blame ya!” He winked. “For lookin', that is. But them flanks are nothin' but trouble and deep bit bag debt in the makin'. As a matter of fact, I'm rather proud ya didn't go crawlin' after them—what with yer wings raised to the blazin' heavens. Heh... ya coulda broken the ocean's surface with yer wingtips by the way you was gawkin'. Hahahah...”

“Okay... just... just stop rubbing it in—”

“No wonder you've been such a feisty fire cracker since the day I met ya!” Bard chuckled. “Days, weeks—and from what the good Doc says—months of just flyin', gallopin', skimmin' yer poor lonesome way east? Whew! By my book, that's a hardcore recipe for runnin' low on the filly-foolin' fuselage!”

“Yeah. I know. Will you just—”

“Hell, Wildcard's had weeks where he's been run so dry, he starts eyein' up fat seagulls! But even still that dun beat the way you was whimperin' after those mares—”

“Just shut up, okay!” Rainbow snarled. “Stop drawling—talking... whatever! Just let it go!”

Bard blinked at her, pausing in his guitar tuning. “... ... ...a thousand pardons. I didn't mean to rub no sore spot.”

“Just... please...” Rainbow adjusted the pendant around her neck, trotted closer to him, and spoke in a quiet tone. “Promise me something.”

He shrugged. “Sure thang, Rainbow.”

She glared, brow furrowed. “Don't talk about this ever again. Not another peep.”

Bard curiously squinted at her.

Rainbow stomped a hoof. “Promise!

“Alright! Alright!” He raised both hooves. “I promise! Heh...” He resumed twanging at the guitar. “But, honestly, girl... ain't no thang to be ashamed of!”

“I'm not ashamed of who I am,” Rainbow grumbled.

“Heheh... ya sure about that?”

“Look, maybe you've made a life reading into other ponies so you could scam or rob them...”

“Ouchhhh—hoo hoo hoo...” He chuckled breathily with a crooked smile. “That's dayum cold.”

“...but from now on, if you make any new observations about me... just keep them to yourself.”

“Reckon we gotsta know each other if we're gonna work with one another.”

“We're not going to be working with each other for long, Bard.”

“No?” Bard struck a note off-key. He winced, then sat up, clearing his throat. “Ya mean ya dun have any services for Dubya-Cee and I after this here shindig with Echo and the Southern Hoof?”

“I know you want our cut of the heist, Bard,” Rainbow droned. “But give it a rest.” She paced across the suite. “After I pay back Theanim for the Midnight Dreary, I'm taking as many bits with me on the flight east.” She gulped. “I'm... pr-probably going to have to buy my way through Rohbredden.”

“It could be a mite bit easier if ya had a pair of guides.”

Rainbow looked at him.

Bard smirked, wagging his eyebrows. “Especially from a pair of varmints who hail from that neck of the woods.”

“Didn't you hear me the first time?” Rainbow sighed. “If you want more bits, you're gonna have to take your services elsewh—”

“Do ya really think that all Dubya-Cee and I do is go chasin' after bits?

“Dude. You're friggin' mercenaries.”

“Who murder, maim, and kill for the cheapest shiny coin, amirite?”

“Well...” Rainbow squirmed. “...n-not that I've seen.” She gulped. “Not yet, anyway.”

“Eheheh... there ya go, betrayin' yer true colors, Rainbow Dash.”

“And what would you know about my true colors?”

“I've seen enough to figure you for a mare who does her best when she doesn't try.” Bard set his guitar aside and stood up with a slight groan, joints cracking. “You simply are the best... and the best dun make compromises and the best dun take sass from nopony. Sure, Dubya-Cee and I are always lookin' to score some bits, but we like to do it the right way... and the honorable way.”

“No wonder you guys were so desperate at Rust,” Rainbow droned.

“Heheheh... yeah, well...” Bard slicked his bangs back, staring out the watery balcony. “Lemme put it this way. Life ain't worth livin' unless the next day is a great deal more righteous than the one previous. My partner and I? We seek to be better than we was the sunset before the last, and you?” He turned towards her with a solemn expression. “Yer on your way to righteousness. A fella like me can smell it on ya.”

Rainbow simply stared at him.

He smirked, shrugging. “That, and a pinch of vanilla. Must be all them colors squeezin' off of ya.”

“Ungh...” Rainbow grumbled, trotting off towards a nearby door. “I'm gonna get some shuteye.”

“The midnighter's in there.”

Rainbow about-faced and trudged towards another door. “You play that guitar loud, and I'm gonna turn it into a necklace.”

“You can try yer damnedest, ya scamp.”

“Meh.” And Rainbow shut the door behind her.

Bard smirked. He backtrotted, slumped back onto the couch, and plopped his hat over his muzzle and eyes. “Mmmmfnnngh...” He rested his wings. “'Turn it into a necklace,'” he muttered tiredly. “Maybe I'm wrong about her, cuz that's exactly what my lil' ol' ex did with the last one...”

PreviousChapters Next