• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,308 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,308

PreviousChapters Next
Paging Rainbow Dash, Table For Seven

“Alright, I know we've been over most everythang,” Bard said as the group trotted swiftly—if not a bit hastily—through a metal corridor lined with aquakinetic arches. “But clear one thang up for me.”

“By all means,” Theanim Mane said, glancing about at the random ponies in the crowd. There was a nervous shudder to his steps; he wasn't alone.

Bard shifted the weight of Echo on his backside and glanced aside at the Doctor. “If the whole point is to make it so that we can reel yer bud here back in from the Southern Hoof with time to spare, than shouldn't Dubya-Cee and I get a head start? I mean, that way you and Rainbow Dash can be hittin' up the Makin' Apples House—”

Marine Auction House.”

“Right. Y'all can be crashin' that place in just the right time for Dubya-Cee and I to grab our bits and haul keister right out of the Southern Hoof's HQ with Echo in tow. Cuz, the way I see it, only with the Syndicate feelin' the heat can we hope to slip anythang past their senses here in Shoggoth.”

Wildcard gestured something in mid-stride.

Bard nodded. “Right. And us Desperadoes have still got to make an exit. Should we wait for a signal from y'all or are either of ya gonna be joining us?”

“All very good points to bring up,” Theanim said as the group entered a narrower corridor that dipped through the sea rock before heading towards another domed structure. The scientist's goggles glinted in passing amber torches. “You're a very good stallion at devouring an individual's time, Mr. Bard. I suggest you play on the Southern Hoof's good side, much like you did at Rust.”

“Uh huh...”

“Our business at the Marine Auction House will likely take a while. But once we've presented our evidence and given a reasonable cause for the Syndicate to be dissected by the Muddredger Merchant Council for their alliance with the Corruptible Northern Hoof, then I suspect that the very headquarters of the Southern Hoof here will be forced to relinquish its otherwise impermeable barriers.”

“Uhhhhhhh...” Bard blinked heavily.

“You gotta speak in drawl-ese, Theams,” Echo grumbled.

Theanim sighed. “The moment Rainbow Dash and I expose the Syndicate for who they are, then the ones holding office here will crumble.” He glanced back at Bard. “Once you sense a veritable mob forming outside the Southern Hoof's headquarters, then you will know it's time to make a hasty exit! With my good friend too, Verlaxion-willing.”

“Y'all really think it's gonna work out that simply?” Bard remarked.

“I do believe the evidence we've gathered is more than damning,” Theanim replied.

Wildcard gestured again, his metal hoof rattling.

“I know it's all gettin' down to the wire, buddy,” Bard said in an exasperated tone. “But Rainbow done told us that we haven't much of a choice!”

“And just how does she know that, exactly?” Echo grumbled.

“Reckon that's a fine question.” Bard squinted the pegasus' way. “How do we know you got an honest-to-goddess message from the sea princess?”

Rainbow Dash stared left and right as the group navigated the tight, rocky corridor. Metal bulkheads protruded from the earthen material and obscured the lanternlight, giving the place an even greater sense of claustrophobia.

“Yoohoo. Underwater Magic Rodeo pagin' Rainbow Dash,” Bard cooed.

Rainbow looked over. “Huh?”

“Ya sure yer wakin' nightmare weren't just... y'know... a wakin' nightmare?”

“Dude, I saw Revan's face. I smelled his nasty breath n'stuff.”

“That's fascinating,” Echo muttered. “Considering she didn't meet Revan in person during our whole heist in Rust.”

Wildcard's goggles rattled at that.

“Hrmmm...” Bard's jaw tensed and untensed. “Not sure if that's a good 'fascinatin'' or a bad 'fascinatin'.'”

“Look, I'm sorry I can't explain it any better!” Rainbow Dash frowned. “But I've been getting messages this whole trip and I swear that it felt the same as all the ones before—” She froze in place, ears twitching.

Theanim scuffled to a stop. He, Wildcard, and Bard looked at the mare. “Miss Dash? Why did you stop?”

“Something's... wrong.” She gulped. “Or at least... different.” She looked up, muzzle quivering. “I feel as though we're not alone down here.”

Bard looked at all of the citizens casually trotting back and forth past them. “Well, that there's an understatement and a half, darlin'.”

“No, I feel it too,” Echo said, his leafy ears twitching. He lifted his head from Bard's backside, then narrowed his slitted eyes. “I hear thunder. Coming towards us from all sides.”

“Huh?!” Theanim remarked, blinking.

To Rainbow's side, Rarity and Twilight phased through the rock.

“Rainbow!” Rarity exclaimed, voice squeaking. “There are over two dozen metal figures headed our way!”

“Metal... figures...?” Rainbow's muzzle twisted.

“Suits of armor, Rainbow!” Twilight's voice cracked. “She means suits of armor! Guards!”

Rainbow gnashed her teeth and spun about. “Guys, look out! We're about to be—”

Schiiiing! The first of several double-bladed polearms stretched towards the group.

Bard and Wildcard jolted, spinning flank-to-flank as a solid circle of armored stallions surrounded the group.

“Hold it right there!” The lead guard hollered. He wore a turquoise helm that hung off his muzzle tightly, covering his eyes in ominous shadow. His armor—like everypony else's—was etched from head to tail in what could best be described as shark and barracuda motifs. The ends of these designs flared off to form jutting spikes or “fins” at each moving joint of the armor. “Do not move another step! Any of you!”

Theanim exhaled. “The Muddredge Royal Guard...”

“Rainbow,” Twilight hissed, looking over Rarity's twitching figure. “Their spears. They're empowered by aquakinetic enchantment.”

Rainbow eyed the polearms in question, noticing a blue glow about each barbed weapon.

“What does that mean, Twilight?” Rarity exclaimed. “They can summon underwater geysers at command?”

“Or, perhaps, boil a pony's circulatory system by just pointing their lances,” Twilight said.

“Oh! Goodness...” Rarity quivered.

“I have been officially charged by the Muddredger Royal Council to escort you from these premises!” the lead guard loudly proclaimed.

“Aaaaaaaaaaand everypony present anuses,” Echo slurred.

Theanim stood up tall. “For what reason?”

“None of it good, I reckon,” Bard said. He turned to look over his shoulder.

Wildcard nodded back. He slipped a metal hoof towards his leather satchel, grasping a nightstick.

Bard reached beneath his guitar case for a metal rod.

“You will be properly briefed when and only when the Muddredger Council chooses,” the guard said. “Now, no more delay. Move!”

“Rainbow Dash—!” Rarity pointed at the Desperadoes.

Rainbow glanced at her two allies reaching for their weapons. She turned to look at the guards and their spears. With clenching teeth, she jerked forward, preparing to shout something—

“Rainbow Dash.

The pegasus faltered, wincing slightly. “Unnngh...”

“Sorry for intruding so forcefully, but you must rein in your friends. These guards will not harm you or them, I promise.”

“Mnnfghh...” Rainbow rubbed her head, gazing weakly at the Desperadoes. “Dudes, hold up...”

Wildcard gripped Bard's shoulder, and the stallion blinked in curiosity. “Huh...?”

“Rainbow, what's happening now—?” Twilight asked.

“I can only communicate with one surface dweller at a time. These guards are under the pretense that your group is a security threat, but it is the only way I could get them to bring you to me.”

“Guys, it's... it's okay,” Rainbow wheezed. She looked up, her strength returning through her eyes. “These dudes... I... I-I think they're gonna bring us to Princess Camellia.”

Theanim's ears twitched. “...you're sure of this?”

“Is that even a good thang?!” Bard wheezed, shifting where he stood. “I dun rightly like them tunin' forks they're sportin'!”

“We will not tell you again...” The head guard aimed his spear. “Move! This way!”

“Just trust me!” Rainbow hissed. “We gotta follow them!” She leaned in, whispering. “Not like we'd make it out of a scrap this deep down anyways!”

“I'm with her on the 'staying alive longer' plan,” Echo stammered.

“To Hell with that!” Bard frowned, pulling half of his staff out. “I ain't aimin' to become mollusk food—”

Wildcard sheathed his nightsticks and stood right in front of Bard, shaking his feathery head.

Bard blinked, then frowned. “And since when did you become all pacifist?”

Wildcard frowned, pointing at Rainbow Dash.

“Euuughhh...” Bard rolled his eyes and stood down. “Fine then, Captain Trustin', but this had better not end with us on the gallows.”

“Actually, Shoggothian executions involve fish tanks and the liberal use of starving sharks—”

“Not helpin'!” Bard grunted as he and Wildcard were shoved along by the armored stallions. “We're a'movin'! We're a'movin'! Dayum.”

Theanim and Rainbow trotted along, keeping close to the circle of guards tightly escorting them. Groups of ponies looked on, gawking in curiosity.

Theanim gulped. “I do hope you're right about this whole situation, Miss Dash,” the scientist said. “Because the timing couldn't possibly be more awkward.”

Rainbow watched as the guards led them down a series of jagged steps, descending even further into the torchlit rocky corridors beneath Shoggoth proper.

“I hope I'm right about this too,” she murmured.

PreviousChapters Next