• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,304 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,304

PreviousChapters Next
If Verlax Was One of Us

“It faces the docks, so it may be a bit noisy,” droned an innkeeper as he twisted a rusty lock with his key. He opened the door, exposing a pair of rectangular chambers overlooking a third story balcony. The iron-framed abode was sparsely furnished—with only a table, two chairs, and a large bed situated across a floor with a paper-thin rug. “But it's our only two-pony room in the economy section.”

“Erm... that's all well and good,” Theanim Mane said, fidgeting. Rainbow Dash hovered past him, gazing about the room. “But... I-I was hoping you might have a place with two separate beds.”

“Sorry.” The innkeeper shook his head. “Not today. The only available two bed rooms are a tier higher.”

“Uhhhm... well then...” Theanim chewed on his bottom lip. “Oh dear.”

We'll take it.” Rainbow suddenly said, frozen and wide-eyed.

“Miss Dash, I appreciate the sentiment... b-but I'm not entirely comfortable with—”

“It's perfect.” Rainbow zipped towards the balcony, landing on a hammock that swung in the salty breeze. She squatted like a happy blue cat; even her ears perked up as her body swung to a stop. “We'll take it!”

Theanim blinked, then smiled at the inn keeper. “You heard the mare.”

The pony cleared his throat, holding a hoof out.

“Ah. But of course.” Theanim rummaged through his pack and hoofed over a few bits. “It'll only be for a night.”

“If you need any services, we're just a bell away,” the innkeeper said with a smile.

“Wow...” Theanim leaned his head aside. “The rooms in the economy section has a paging system?”

“Erm...” The innkeeper brushed his own bangs back, looking aside. “One per floor, actually.” He hoofed the key to Theanim. “Every tenant on the same level with you rings it. You... might want to wash your hooves afterwards.” And he trotted away.

With a loud squeak, Theanim shut the hotel room door. “Ahhhh... Rust.” He locked the door shut and turned around. “How I missed thee.”

Hammock hammock hammock hammock...” Rainbow drooled, cuddling the netted material.

“I empathize with your desire for comfort and slumber, Miss Dash,” Theanim said, plopping his items onto the interior's bed. “But we cannot tarry here for long.”

“Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm...” Rainbow's cheeks went red. She sat up, pouting. “Can't we afford at least an hour of nap time?”

“I wish I could say yes, but Rust is a city that never sleeps. Or sinks!” He chuckled. “Both of those go hoof in fetlock, you see.”

“How about we let it sink for three hours, and I nap for two of them and then salvage the city with my bare hooves in the third hour?”

“Honestly, Miss Dash!” Theanim furrowed his brow. “How come you weren't such a sleepyhead back at the Atoll?”

“Because I had the spearing of a giant sea serpent to contend with!” Rainbow Dash grumbled. “Here, it's the adventure of 'looking for Echo.'”

“Look at it this way. After a thorough search, we'll have properly earned our rest.”

“Just where does your old friend hang out anyways?” Rainbow reluctantly hopped off the hammock, gazing over the balcony at the bustling inner port below. Seagulls and pegasi flitted overhead, gliding from building to building. “If you give me a basic idea, I could comb the place over and see what—or who—I can spot.”

Theanim fiddled with his belongings. “Do you have experience in surveying urban locations?”

“Pfftchyaa...” She nodded back at him. “I can't even count the numbers of hours I spent memorizing the rooftops to Val Roa's capital.”

“Well, from what you described to me, I doubt this city is any larger,” Theanim said. “But it is rather inricate, and there are several layers of it that don't see sunlight.”

“Lemme guess,” Rainbow muttered. “Echo's going to be hanging out in one of those dark places.”

“Quite likely. For one thing, he's... not terribly fond of sunlight.”

“And for another?”

“Let's... just say that he conducts better business in those areas.”

“Okay, Doc...” Rainbow turned around and reclined lazily against the balcony. “Level with me.” She raised an eyebrow. “Just how did you get entangled with someone like Echo in the first place?”

“Oh, please, Miss Dash.” Theanim rolled his blue eyes. “You make it sound vile and clandestine.”

“But am I off the mark...?” Rainbow smirked.

Theanim bit his lip. “Erm...”

“Anything you'd be ashamed to write home to mother?” Rainbow remarked. “And by 'mother,' I mean Queen Verlaxion?”

“Don't you start,” Theanim said, pointing a hoof. “And even if you do apply the virtues of Verlaxion to my friendship with Echo, then you'll find that she promotes nothing but camraderie and trust—across all species.”

“Heheheh...” Rainbow strolled into the hotel room. “Sounds like the Queen gives you guys a lot of leeway.” She shrugged out the balcony window. “I'm guessing that's how a place like Rust exists.”

“She leaves us to our own devices, if that's what you mean,” Theanim said. “But she intervenes when there are signs of contention.”

“And what about inequality and exploitation?” Rainbow leaned her head to the side. “How's the Queen feel about that?”

Theanim smiled. “Do your Princesses march into every Equestrian City, acting as authoritative intermediaries for whenever there's a land dispute or a financial argument over baking goods?”

“Well... uh...” Rainbow glanced down at her hooves. “...no.”

“Well, neither does our Queen make attempts to interrupt in our livelihoods,” Theanim explained. “She only maintains that we enjoy the very existence of said livelihoods.” He gestured. “Decades ago, terrible beasts migrated from the south—ravenous reptiles that make the likes of Ultimo look like a gentle giant. They wrecked ships and devoured merchants. Hundreds if not thousands of innocent Rohbreddeners lost their lives to these cretins and their voracious jaws.”

“Yeesh.” Rainbow winced. “Sounds metal. Erm...” She chuckled breathily, knocking a hoof against a nearby support column. “You know what I mean.”

“Well, it turned out to be far too dire of a situation for our defense ministry to handle. Thankfully, though, our Righteous Queen intervened. Within a two day period, she had single-hoofedly driven the monsters back into the depths. They haven't bothered us since.”

“So... she keeps the order... when it gets super kaizo, huh?”

“Indeed. From what you've told me, your Princesses have done the same with these...” He glanced at her neck pendant. “...Elements of Harmony, yes?”

“I've got one question, though,” Rainbow said. “Ultimo—wasn't that a big enough reason for Verlax... er... Verlaxion to intervene? I mean, he was making life hard for a bunch of merchants and villagers and stuff.”

“Well, in the end, she didn't have to... did she?”

“What makes you say that?”

Theanim returned to his pack. “What else?”

Rainbow blinked at that. She gazed off in thought.

“So long as the Six Tribes remain an alliance—and not enemies—then our Queen is happy to let us live as we see fit. That's why I'm always baffled that the Colonialists would think so ill of her... and it's also why I'm so alarmed when you tell me that she's some... some...” He grimaced, shrugging. “... reptilian death mother.”

“And it gets more and more metal,” Rainbow muttered.

“I beg your pardon?”

Rainbow paced closer. “But can your Queen honestly expect every pony in her kingdom to obey the system that she's established? I mean... I seriously can't imagine that every city on your continent is just as... erm... hardcore as this one.”

“Indeed. Rust has its own color that's scarcely matched in the rest of the island kingdom.”

“So, doesn't the existence of the Syndicate concern her? I mean, sure, it's not tearing your Tribes apart... but living in bondage is a real thing that can happen in a lot of real ways. And it's not always better than living in war.”

“That's where we come in, Miss Dash,” Theanim said. “Harmony is a grand ideal—but hardly a reality. Here in Rohbredden, we don't have... magic elements that can zap a monster and reboot tranquility incarnate. Instead, we have the Order.” He chuckled lightly. “Don't pretend that Sinrar and his companion haven't influenced you in some degree. Surely you've considered it odd—as they do—that such spiritually devout citizens would consider themselves 'scientists.'”

“The... uh... the thought has crossed my mind.”

“The Queen has her role, and we have ours. While what we seek and what we record is all part of manifesting the same harmony, we cannot simply sit in place and leave everything to the Great Unifier.” He gestured out the window. “There's a world out there that needs order... the Order. And aside from maintaining a record of all Creation, we make it our goal to improve the lives of everyone and everything around us. And we do that one companion at a time.”

Rainbow slowly nodded. “...with friends like Echo.”

“With friends like Echo,” he said, nodding back. “Believe me, Miss Dash. Every part of the world has a dark place, Rust included. But I have many a reason to believe that my connections with Echo... my influence with him has swayed the members of the Syndicate into exercising a great deal more mercy than they would otherwise.”

“And in exchange?”

“They help me make the world the better place on my end,” Theanim said. “And if that includes granting me passage into Shoggoth so that an exceptional new friend of mine might spread harmony in her own way... well...” He zipped his pack close, bundling up the bare essentials. “...then it's fine time that my companions pay their dues. And, believe me, Echo owes me quite a bit.”

“Heh...” Rainbow nodded. “Read you loud and clear.”

“So, then...” Theanim pointed to the door. “...shall we begin our search?”

“Totally. I'll get a head start!” FWOOOSH! Rainbow bulleted out the window. “C'mon, girls!”

“Miss Dash?! Miss Dash!” Theanim hollered after her, but it was too late. His nostrils flared, and he fumbled for his keys while stumbling towards the door. “Echo won't be the only one owing me at this rate...”

PreviousChapters Next