• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,308 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,308

PreviousChapters Next
Oh, This Is Gonna Be Good

“This is not a topic of debate,” Sinrar said. “Though, oui, we have talked about it before.” He and Rainbow Dash sat on the vertical length of a bent palm tree overlooking the Eastern shore. “I have already discussed it with our little sex hound. Mrmmmff... he plans to take his new sweetheart back to Kihutaja on board the Swan Song. I intend to join them on such a return trip.”

“Heh...” Rainbow shuffled through the maps in her hooves. “Now there's a love cruise if I've ever heard one.”

“Oui, surely the little pipsqueak is absolutely charmed to have me along.” Sinrar adjusted his beret. “If only to ditch me as soon as we touch Colonialist shore.”

“Eh... don't put it like that, Professor.” Rainbow smiled aside at the old stallion. “I'm pretty sure Nick respects you way more than you give credit.”

“Bah!” He sighed, gazing out at the bright, shiny sea. “More like more than I am willing to give credit... though that may change.” He gazed down at his dangling cane. “I suspect everything will change now.”

Rainbow Dash stared at him. She gulped. “For the better?”

“If you are searching for a reason to feel guilty, harpy, don't.” He glanced aside at her. “I may be out of many golden coins and a respectably sturdy cane, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't gain something from all of this.”

“Well, I hope it's enough,” Rainbow said. “Do you really think all of your old peers back at the K.M.C.A. are gonna listen to what you have to say the moment you come out of retirement?” She blinked. “I mean, I sound crazy enough rambling about Val Roa, Ledomare, and beyond... but at least I'm exotic enough in your culture's eyes to get away with it!”

“Oui, it will be difficult to get ponies to listen to me... perhaps at first.” Sinrar bore a tired smile. “But the fact of the matter is... I will still be trying. There was a time when I wouldn't even have bothered to try.”

“Still, Sinrar, I...” Rainbow squirmed, shuffling the maps in her grasp. “I-I can't help but feel like you're giving me so much and I'm just tossing you a super scraggly bone here—”

“Think nothing of it,” he said. “Before you, my life was nothing but a shambling circle of crackpot theories. Hrmmmf... Continentalists aren't the only ones who blind themselves. Verlaxion's reach stretches far, and I too gave into the myth that there was no way of piercing the borders that seemingly constricted us. But you, Rainbow Dash? Non... there are no borders. You live your life in a brazen, suicidal straight line. And yet... by going in one direction... you complete that circle, don't you?”

Rainbow's muzzle hung open. Her ears folded back as she hugged the maps to her chest. “Well... erm... th-that remains to be seen,” she said.

He nodded, then pointed at the parchment in her grasp. “Perhaps those manuscripts will assist you in accomplishing the impossible, no?” His wrinkled lips curved. “They'll certainly help you way more than they would help me. Bah! I would only die trying to go any further along these shitty seas.”

“But... but you put so much time and effort into them,” Rainbow said. “Years.”

“Merde! Are all Equestrians so terrible at receiving gifts?!”

Rainbow glanced over her shoulder, catching the golden tower's summit above the tree tops. “Well, now that you mention it...”

“You've given me the best gift a Colonialist could ask for,” Sinrar said. “Knowledge. So... those are my gift to you. As you will seek to extend the lives of your spectral companions, I shall endeavor to expand the minds of my peers. In our own ways, I think, we will be achieving that which Verlaxion wouldn't want us to have.”

“And what's that?”

“Freedom.” Sinrar smirked. “Something I took for granted for a very long time. You, Rainbow Dash, live the purest life of freedom out of anypony I've ever known.”

“Yeah, well...” Rainbow shuddered. “Freedom isn't always very freeing.

“Oui...” Sinrar nodded. “Such is an easy thing to say when the circle you're making goes on for so long that all you see is the same horizon.”

Rainbow looked up at him.

“So we are without guilt or remorse, yes?” Sinrar pointed at his cane. “I just bundled this travesty overnight. I'm certain one good swat to your skull would break it—and me in the process.”

“Heh...” Rainbow chuckled lightly. “We're square, Doctor Dude. Believe me.”

“Mmmm... I'm inclined to.”

“It's just that...”

“Yes?”

Rainbow sighed. “...I've been so friggin' obsessed with figuring out how to bring back the girls.” She gulped. “As soon as I reunited with Twilight, I went into Celestia-dang overdrive. I slammed my face into books, and the first moment I learned about the Six Points of Interests, I came to you. And as soon as you told me about the Six Seeds, I dragged you and Nick along on this wild trip. And now that I've gotten to the Second Seed and Rarity is safe and sound... well...” Rainbow shrugged. “It's like I've woken up from a long weekend of cider bingeing... and I feel crazy lucid.” She looked up at Sinrar with twitching eyes. “I can't help but feel as though I just dragged you and Nick along for purely selfish reasons.”

“We had every chance to refuse,” Sinrar said. “And if I recall, harpy, I was the one who made it a mandate that I tag along.”

“Right... but still...” Rainbow sighed. “All this time, I was forcing myself to see you guys as travel assistants, when I really should have been seeing you two as who you really were.” She gulped. “Good, good friends.”

Sinrar raised an eyebrow. “Is that really such a bad thing?”

“Well, no. Only...” Rainbow bit her lip, avoiding his gaze. “...after what I went through in the Grand Choke, I... I didn't expect myself to make new friends so... flippantly.”

“Hmmm...” Sinrar smirked. “If I'm to take what you've told me about Equestria seriously, it seems as though friendliness is simply in your nature.”

“Heh... yeah,” Rainbow muttered. “Sorry.”

“Why be sorry?” Sinrar shrugged. “Harmony is something our seas sorely need. And, if you ask me, I think you've given this place an ample dosage.”

Rainbow blinked at him. She turned to look up at the tower again. “Heh...” Her lips curved. “I've certainly left quite a mark, huh?”

“The best gifts are often the strangest.”

“Yeah, well... I certainly dig your gift,” Rainbow said, waving the maps in her grasp. “I'll do my best to make use of them.” She shuddered slightly. “Though I don't do the cartography thing as well as you do. Maybe I should build a cane of my own and hobble around, just to get in the zone or something.”

“Or, perhaps, I could help send you on your way,” Sinrar said. “Has the beacon changed?”

“What, you mean Yaerfaerda?”

“Oui.”

“Well, yeah...” Rainbow squirmed. “But...”

“But what?”

“It's pretty dang weird,” Rainbow grunted. She flapped her wings, hovered, and pointed southeast. “It's... like... off in a distant direction, but it's also at a low fixed point.”

“How, exactly?” Sinrar squinted. “Do you mean under the sea?”

“Yeah.” Rainbow gulped. “Seems like it.”

“Hmmm...” Sinrar winced, struggled, but eventually flapped his own wings. He hovered alongside the mare. “Give me the map with the purple, starry border.”

“Uhhhh...” Rainbow shuffled through the sheets, then produced a sheet of parchment illustrating various spread-out archipelagos. “You mean this one?”

“Oui.” He took it from her and adjusted his bifocals. “Now...” He glanced up at the morning sun, then expertly pivoted the map in order to match its compass rose with the eastern horizon. “...point exactly to where the beacon appears to be situated.”

“Exactly?”

“As well as you can manage, mon petite cheval.”

Rainbow Dash squinted down the length of her hoof. She pivoted and squirmed until—at last—she was certain her outstretched limb pointed directly at the distant, pink emblem. “There.”

“You are certain?”

“Totally.”

“And...” Sinrar tapped his chin in thought, studying the map. “Is the symbol faint or bright?”

“Pretty darn dim,” Rainbow said. “I'm guessing that means it's super far away.”

“Hmmm... indeed...” Sinrar's eyes traced across the map. At last, his lips smirked. “But of course... Shoggoth.”

“Excuse you,” Rainbow droned.

“Oh, it's a very real place,” Sinrar said. “And a very ancient place.” He glanced up at her. “An expertly-built symbol of peaceful coexistence between terrestrial and aquatic races that predates Queen Verlaxion and her supposed Unification.”

“Wait... did you say aquatic?” Rainbow blinked. “As in underwater?”

“Oui.” He nodded. “The Shoggothans live hoof-and-fin with the Siren Tibe, but the city is altogether owned by the earth and unicorn variety. For over a thousand years, it's served as the main trading hub between air breathers and water breathers. Without it, even the Rohbredden economy would not exist.”

“Are... you trying to tell me...” Rainbow Dash slurred, pointing a quivering hoof southeast. “That Yaerfaerda is pointing me towards a friggin' underwater city?!

“Oui. It would make sense!” Sinrar said. “The place has immense cultural significance. The Sirens and their seapony kin consider the ocean floor there to be hallowed rock, and the Muddredge Dynasty have established the subterranean chambers beneath Shoggoth as their family tomb—something that was specifically consecrated ages ago by Verlaxion-loyal Continentalists.”

“Verlaxion... blessed the Muddredge Dynasty's tomb?” Rainbow murmured, blinking. “So... like... that must make it—”

“The Third Seed,” Sinrar said. “Now do you see why it makes sense, harpy?” He smiled. “Ponies still make submersible pilgrimages there to this day, if only to lay eyes on underground palace belonging to the Muddredge family. As a matter of fact, if word of muzzle is to be trusted, Princess Camellia is building a brand new extension to the tomb to this day.”

“But... but...” Rainbow almost retched. “How in the frig am I to get my flank to a bigass city underwater?!

“Precisely why now is the time that I take my leave,” Sinrar said, touching down to the sand and leaning on his cane. “It would certainly kill me.”

“Grrrr... Doctor Duuuude...”

“But you, Rainbow Dash.” He pointed. “You are tenacious... and young. Surely with Twilight and your latest companion by your side, you can make it as deep as you have made it far.”

“Thanks for the confidence,” she muttered. “But... like... I-I don't even know how to get there!” She pointed at the maps. “I wouldn't have even made heads or tails out of your scribblings to even know that Shoggoth existed!” She sighed. “Face it. I still need help.”

“Oui. And I suspect you can still find it.”

“Yeah? From where?”

Whom,” the old stallion corrected. He hoofed her back the maps with a knowing squint. “And, if you ask me, it's the pony who stands to be helped by you more than he can help in your quest.”

Rainbow Dash blinked. “...no kidding?”

“Non.” Sinrar smiled calmly. “No kidding.”

Rainbow glanced at the maps, then back up at him. “But... but would he even be willing?”

“Bah! As if you should even ask!” He hobbled back towards the mainland. “But, if you must do so, then time is of the essence. I do believe he and his foolish Continentalist companions are recommissioning their boats as we speak!”

PreviousChapters Next