• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,304 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,304

PreviousChapters Next
If They Won't Listen To Prophets...

“How undignified,” the figure slurred, its voice coming out in ethereal blue mists. “A spark with no wick. To be strung up between two horizons, and suddenly neither of them are very appealing...

“You orchestrated this.” Rainbow clenched her teeth, hovering over the waters of the Quade as she approached the robed being. “You set all of this up, didn't you?”

“So many questions...” The robe flounced, and Rainbow detected the hint of a cold cackle from beneath those blue eyeslits. “...perhaps you should have communed longer with your anchor, child.”

“Don't be coy!” Rainbow gripped the edge of the figure's cloak—instantly regretting it. She winced, floating backwards as she tried to shake the cold sting of deathly frost off her bandages. “Guhhhh... goddess!

“Speaking.”

“Nnnngh... that chaos metal...” Rainbow gnashed her teeth. She rubbed her hooves while glaring at the figure. “The dizzying dust that I found in the Reed. You put it there purposefully as a final barricade.”

“And just why would you go so far as to desecrate something holy, child?”

“Look. I get it. You're trying to make things tough. Big whoop.” Rainbow's eyes narrowed. “But what's the friggin' point, ya crazy chaos chameleon?! You're so big on the Sundering undoing itself just to happen again... so why make it that much harder for Austraeoh to make it happen?!

“It is not a matter of guidance, Austraeoh,” the figure said. It pivoted to face Rainbow, its hooves forming frozen blue circles across the surface of the Quade. “But—rather—of transformation. After all, the Spark won't make any machine move if it is reduced to mere ashes by the time it reaches the Dark Side. No...” The figure shook its hooded head. “No the flame must grow... become brighter.” Misty vapors wafted out of the cloak in short, chortling bursts. “And I have prepared a mighty... mighty feast.”

“Well, nice friggin' job with that, ya psycho!” Rainbow frowned, folding her forelimbs. “I took the tough route! I stooped to the monks' level. I did...” She bit her lips. “... v-very unkind things to myself. And guess what I got in the end?! Excommunication! They're sending me away from where the beacon is!”

The air grew colder from the breathy laughter echoing between them.

Rainbow's brow furrowed. “What...?!”

“My little pony...” The figure shook its hooded head. “You only wished you were that naïve. Funny how—so many continents and massacres away from home—and it is only now that you truly start running away from something. And yet... there is nowhere to go. Not even the edge of the world will appeal to you in this pathetic stagnance.”

“We...” Rainbow Dash grimaced, glancing towards the woven platforms overhead. “...we have a common interest, Verlax...”

“I love you too.”

“I want to bring my friends back. You want to reboot Urohringr. So... let's just make it happen already.” She waved her forelimbs. “The way you are now... and the voice you possess... bring it to the Luminards,” she said... she pleaded. “Let them commune with their Goddess... I mean really commune with them!” She smiled nervously, sweat rolling down her forehead despite the sheer cold. “Get them to accept that there's more to this world than the Reed! Give me a path to Fluttershy... and then help me resurrect Applejack! The flame will burn brighter! Pure and harmonic!”

“You are really terrible at listening to immortals, aren't you?

Rainbow Dash frowned. “I am not... and will never humor you and your stupid friggin' trials.”

“Spoken like a true Equestrian. Behold...” The figure casually raised a sleeved limb. The waters of the Quade splashed towards the stars between them, only to freeze in mid-air. The icicles formed the effigies of two alicorn sisters, one younger and one older. “...the purveyors of Harmony. Beautiful... inspiring... and yet fallible as anypony else. But... give it enough eons and enough idiots, and they become like gods to the eyes of the masses. Thus, the one element they've fortuitously used to carve their empire becomes worshiped like immaculate ambrosia. But I've said it before, and I'll say it again... a world built on Harmony... that only knows Harmony... is a prison without chaos. Without knowing there's an other... how will such a deluded populace even know when they've suffered or died? You can't live if you've never been foaled to begin with... if you've never been offered the chance to indulge in pain and panic as much as peace and prosperity.”

She flung her limb again, and the effigy shattered, raining back down on the waters in lazy snow.

The twin eyeslits narrowed on Rainbow. “A culture that binds itself simply begs to be freed. These Luminards are calling out to the Spark, Austraeoh. You must free them...”

“No...” Rainbow shook her head.

“Just as you must free the rest of this plane,” the figure hissed. “It is a derelict that's been bound in darkness since it left Urohringr... and its insectoid denizens flounder between harmony and chaos... much like how you are stumbling right now. You must show them—show everyone—that it takes both to fuel the fire of rebirth. But first... you must learn yourself... you must burn...”

“It doesn't have to be that hard...” Rainbow Dash snarled, floating closer, limbs shaking. “Listen to the last piece of your head that's still sane, Verlax! It doesn't have to be that hard!”

“Shhhhh... patience...” The figure sneered, its cloak billowing from an unexpected wind. “...kindness...” The eyeslits dimmed as the cloak fell towards the Quade. “...only the path in life that's worth it is hard...”

“Don't leave—dang it!” Rainbow lunged forward. “Just tell me what you want me to...” The mare gasped, clutching a loose blanket in her grasp. She watched—with a cold shudder—as billowing flakes of white snow fluttered off into the air, making a brief trail, before melting into the cold, distant twinkle of reflected stars.

She was alone.

Rainbow panted... panted...

She gnashed her teeth, pulling and tugging on the empty robe until it nearly tore to shreds—

“Mrmmmff... Rainbow?”

Rainbow spun around in a cold sweat.

Twilight Sparkle rubbed her eyes, blinking blearily at the mare. “Did... mmmfmf...” She fought a yawn, blinking thickly. “Did you summon us?”

Rainbow gaped.

“I... I-I thought... I could have sworn I heard—”

“Did...” Rainbow stammered. “Did you see it?!”

“Huh?” Twilight squinted tiredly. “See... see what?”

Rainbow bit her lip. She looked down at the robe in her grasp.

“Say... what are you doing in the air?” Twlight muttered. “That's against the rules in the Quade. Don't want to make things worse than they already are.”

“It... it's nothing...” Rainbow wheezed. She swallowed a lump down her throat, then hugged the cloak to her chest. “Just... h-had to use the filly's room.” She waved without looking up. “Go back, Twilight. Get your rest.”

“Mmmm—you sure?”

Rainbow nodded.

“Very well...” With a delirious smile, Twilight drifted forward, her ghostly figure dissipating in a lavender sigh. “...ni ni...”

And the mare was alone once again.

Rainbow stared at the blanket... she blinked... then flung a hoof up to her head. She felt her mane blowing in the cold, moist wind. A fresh breath rose warmly through her lungs, and she gritted her teeth in sudden determination. Frowning, the mare spun about and soared towards the upper platforms.


“It's always been dying!”

“Zzzzzz—Snkkkkt—Graaaukkt!” Bard shot up, snorting into his hat. He flung his hooves about, ultimately grasping his guitar by the neck and blindly wielding it like a katana. “Hrmmmff! Who's yourself? Show there! I-I mean... Hells bells...” He struggled where he sat on his sleeping mat. Trembling, he raised his hat so that he could squint across the platform.

Wildcard had also jolted awake. Before both Desperadoes, a frenzied pegasus knelt, grasping several yellow strands in her hooves.

“In fact, it's dying every single day!” she stammered, grinning like an idiot. “All this time, the Luminards have been worshipping death, but they just don't know it! They're blind... because all they know is peace!”

“What...” Bard grimaced. He glanced aside at Wildcard, then set his guitar down. “...are ya even goin' on about, darlin'?”

“The Weave!” Rainbow pointed once more at the strings in her grasp. They were none other than the threads that had previously bound her mane in braid—snipped loose by Wildcard hours ago. “The stuff they use to make all of these stupid platforms! Where do you think it comes from?!”

“Erm...” Bard rubbed his head beneath his hat. He looked at Wildcard.

Wildcard was already gesturing emphatically.

“Oh. Right.” Bard smiled crookedly at Rainbow. “The Reed! Of course! But... uhmm...” He squinted. “Was that lil' revelation really worth wakin' us up with such a fright?”

“Guh!” Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes, then paced towards them both on thudding hooves. “Look closely, Einstallion, and think!” She thrust the twine in Bard's muzzle. “It came from the Reed... but it's not alive. So...” She gawked at him, eyes blinking brightly. “...how is is that something that's supposedly so fragile still sheds stuff that dies, only to be used to build this place?”

Bard's muzzle scrunched. “Are... are you trying to say—”

“Dude... the Reed is just as natural as anything else! It dies! It sheds pieces of itself!” She smirked. “Wanna bet that—just like anything else—it can naturally grow back living parts of itself?”

Wildcard gestured.

Bard nodded at him, then looked at Rainbow. “That makes a whole lotta sense. But ya gotta remember, Rainbow. The ponies who run this place? They dun exactly... go by common sense.”

“I know.” Rainbow Dash smirked. “They've built themselves a prison of ignorance. Perhaps it was for the best intentions, but... but if they were to see the light...” She waved the string around. “If they could be made to grasp the reality of the situation...”

“Reckon... r-reckon they'd not be so dayum sensitive about the preservation of the Reed.”

“Exactly!”

“But Rainbow—”

“I've stooped to their level, Bard! I've gone through hardcore monk-making and pulled myself back to the surface!” She paced in a circle, staving off hyperventilating breaths. “Sure, I may have bucked things up, but—all things considered—I'm the closest darn thing these ponies have to an ambassador of reason! Maybe... m-maybe I can bring them to the surface!” She spun about, shivering slightly. “Maybe I can be the spark that inspires them to not keep the Reed so... constrained to one place!”

“Yeah, but...”

“If I can just talk to them again! Once more!” She gulped and held her bandaged hooves together. “Oh, won't you two help me? Please?”

Wildcard flexed his beak, shrugging.

Bard sighed. He closed his eyes for a prolonged time... then reopened them while smiling calmly at Rainbow. “Aw Hell...” He adjusted his hat. “Just what would it hurt to try...?”


“...because, I'm telling you...” Antsan grumbled in Rainbow Dash's direction. “...you are not welcome here. And what's more, I can guarantee that Kyron won't be bothered with making an appearance.”

“Yeesh...” Menthe smirked, leaning against his spear in the corner of the room. “He's a chatty one, isn't he?”

“I think his name is 'Antsan,'” Galloran said, leaning over in the candlelight. “He's... he's new.” He bit his lip. “Even younger than me.”

“Ah.” Menthe nodded. “Well that explains it.”

“Yeah, it—h-hey!” Galloran frowned.

“Heheheh...”

“Mmmmff...” Antsan sighed, leaning against a wooden table in the middle of the dimly-lit shack. “I do not like this apostate haven that these platforms have become as of late.”

“Child, temper your attitude,” Sonikah insisted. “I brought you here so that you may learn something about proper etiquette. After all, Rainbow and the Desperadoes are far from the last visitors we will ever have in the Quade, by Verlaxion's grace.”

“That's right, kiddo,” Rainbow said with a smirk. “Listen to your anchor.”

Sonikah's muscles tensed... then gradually relaxed. She avoided looking directly at Rainbow the entire time.

Rainbow bit her lip.

Pinkie leaned in, whispering: “Maybe, Dashie, you should save the sassafras for when we're speaking again to Kindly McElderSnuggles.”

“Yeah...” Rainbow muttered aside. “Maybe.”

“I, for one, am glad that we can go about this civil-like,” Bard said, standing in the back next to Wildcard. “I mean... this ain't so hard, is it?”

“That remains to be seen,” Menthe said, shifting his weight against his weapon. “I can't rightly remember the last time Kyron asked me to be present at one of these meetings.”

“Look... buddy...” Bard waved a hoof. “We just wanna talk. Really... why you gotta be so high-strung? T'ain't no need for weapons in this here hut.”

“Tell that to your tastefully 'honest' friend of yours, 'buddy,'” Menthe said, gesturing to Rainbow's neck.

Wildcard winced.

Rainbow sighed out her nostrils, adjusting the lightning bolt pendant.

“Well, who knows?” Rarity smiled brightly. “Maybe things will go swimmingly!”

Twilight and Pinkie gazed at her in silence.

“Or... perhaps like a lead buoy,” the unicorn squeaked, ears folding.

“Yeesh, thanks for the confidence,” Rainbow muttered.

“Did you say something, outsider?” Antsan asked.

“Mrmmff...” Rainbow glanced aside. “I wasn't talking to you.”

“Well, quite frankly, you're not talking to anyone.” The pilgrim with red braids grinned smugly. “The elder made it clear the last time you were here. Kyron is done doing any business whatsoever with you.” At the sound of hoofsteps, he glanced aside—then immediately gasped: “Elder Kyron!”

Kyron bowed as he entered the room, flanked by three other elders. “Child... foals of Verlaxion...” His eyes met with Rainbow's, which summoned a brief frown. He glanced at Menthe, then back at the three guests with a sigh. “It was with a heavy heart that I made the necessary declarations yesterday. Please, do understand, it is merely in hope for peace and understanding that I've agreed to your request here and now.” He took his position at the far end of the table. Looking across the wooden surface, he gazed at the three foreigners, then folded his hooves together. “However, I have many... many devotionals to tebd to today. As you must know by now, I am in charge of a very delicate and blossoming congregation. So my time—as blessed as it is by Verlaxion—is short. I must humbly request that you make swiftly with the words you wish to convey, Rainbow Dash.”

“Right...” Rainbow nodded. “I wouldn't have it any other way, dear elder.”

“Thatta girl, Rainbow Dash,” Twilight said, waving her on. “Be swift and to the point.”

“We're right behind you, darling,” Rarity added.

Rainbow Dash stepped forward. Fiddling with her bandaged hooves, she produced a length of yellow twine, then placed it on the table. “Elder Kyron... would kindly tell me what that is.”

Antsan took a deep breath. “It's a strip of twine that we used for weaving the—”

With all due respect...” Rainbow's voice took on a growling pitch. Her eyes remained locked forward. “I asked the Kyron of this congregation, not the raddish sprout.”

Antsan gasped. He opened his mouth to say something else, but Sonikah frowned at him. With a dull sigh, the stallion hung his head.

Rainbow's eyes implored the old pony from across the long wooden table. “Please, elder, if you would be so kind...”

Kyron slowly nodded. “As our newly-anointed was attempting to convey... it is what we use to fashion together the platforms of our sanctuary. We also use it to bind our manes and tail. You yourself experienced the utilization of this material when... you performed and failed the Sacrament.”

Pinkie and the other two mares winced.

Rainbow Dash shook it off and asked, “Yes, but where does the twine come from, dear elder?”

“It grows off of the Holy Reed itself.”

Rainbow tilted her head aside. “It grows off the Reed?”

“That is correct.”

“But... that's a curious thing, isn't it?” Rainbow Dash said, waving a hoof. “I mean... if it was once a part of the Reed...” She points at the table in front of her. “...but now it's lying on this table in tatters...” She squinted. “That means it's dead, right?”

“It is inert, yes, but its holy purpose is not lost to us,” Kyron said. “To honor the blessing of Verlaxion, we use the string for many sacramental things—”

“Yeah, but hold the sound stone for a second.” Rainbow waved. “This stuff came off the Reed. Like... what? Did it just jump off it? Did it grow legs and walk away from it?”

Kyron took a deep breath, his ears twitching. “No, child. If you must know, we remove it.”

“You remove it.”

“That is correct. If you had afforded yourself more time inside the Holiest of Holies, then perhaps you would have witnessed the process.”

“Well, as we all know... uh... I didn't. So... ahem...” Rainbow scratched her neck. “Would you kindly mind telling me how you guys rip this stuff off your Holy Reed?”

“It is not ripped child,” Kyron said firmly. “Nor is it removed forcefully through any malevolent or destructive means.” Kyron exhaled. “It grows to a certain length... then withers away. Once it drops of its own holy volition, then and only then do our most highly anointed pilgrims acquire the fibers and distribute them among the rest of the congregation.”

“So... let me get this straight...” Rainbow Dash paced around her end of the table. “This Holy Reed... that you guys have been worshipping since the dawn of recorded history...” She gestured with her hooves. “This sacred and undying blessing from Verlaxion... is constantly shedding dead parts of itself? Like a pony loses gray hairs? Or a cat sheds its coat? Or—”

“That would appear to be the natural process, yes.”

“Natural process!” Rainbow scuffled to a stop, turning to grin at him. “So, Verlaxion's blessing follows the way of nature!”

Kyron stood in silence.

Sonikah and Antsan squinted inquisitively.

“So... if it's natural for the Reed to shed parts of itself... dead parts of itself...” Rainbow Dash approached the table, waving a hoof. “Couldn't it do other natural things? Such as dying...” Her brow furrowed. “Or being reborn?”

There was only more silence.

Bard and Wildcard exchanged glances. Menthe and Galloran watched with quiet curiosity.

At last, after a lethargic breath, Kyron said: “I see what it is you are trying to do, child.” His eyes narrowed. “You are so desperate to regain access to the Reed that you are willing to challenge the very nature of the blessing itself.”

“Who's challenging?!” Rainbow shrugged. “What's there to challenge?!” She pointed. “You yourself said that the Reed sheds this twine cuz of a natural process!”

“Yes—”

“And I'm asking you to approach the Reed with an openness of mind!” Rainbow smiled, taking a shuddering breath. “What proof is there that the Reed can never grow back?”

“The first Kyron gives his tragic account of the original shoots' destruction quite vividly—”

“Yeah, but that was—like—a gazillion years ago! You know what happens when ponies try to preserve any form of communication over any length of space or time? Errors! That's what!”

Sonikah and Antsan gasped. Even Menthe cringed.

Kyron's brow furrowed. “Are you trying to say that our Scripture is at fault?”

“Rather—I'm trying to suggest that maybe... just maybe Verlaxion's blessing isn't limited to a one-time deal! Sure, this Reed is awesome!” She waved a hoof. “Sure, this is your one ticket towards communing with your Goddess' spirit! But maybe it doesn't have to just be one Reed! Maybe the one thing that the Luminards need to get more members is to branch out! Literally!”

“Child...” Sonikah finally spoke to Rainbow Dash. Her lips pursed as her breath took on a shuddering tone. “What... are you even trying to suggest? We hew the Reed apart like sugar cane?”

“No... I mean... not exactly...” Rainbow Dash clenched her jaw. She leaned back, took a deep breath, then finally blurted: “I'm suggesting you grow it elsewhere.”

“Preposterous!” Antsan belched.

“My Goddess...” Sonikah nearly retched.

Kyron hung his head, sighing.

“I-I mean just grow more of it!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed. She glanced at her wincing marefriends, but still summoned the strength to continue: “You don't have to get rid of all the stuff that's right here! But... like... take off parts of it and graft it to other parts and learn to spread the blessing Verlaxion's given you! That way you could spread your whole... church... commune... sacred slumber party thing! For real!”

“Rainbow...” Bard sighed, leaning in. “Forget it. I think you done lost 'em, darlin'—”

“Hold onto your hat, ya melon fudge,” Rainbow grunted back. “This isn't over yet.”

“Rainbow, he's right,” Twilight began. “They're not going to—”

Antsan's angry voice filled Rainbow's ears. “You dare come into our sanctuary suggesting such a thing?!”

“If I had known you thought so carelessly about the Reed, child...” Sonikah shook her head, bearing a long, sad expression. “...I would have never offered my talents as an anchor.”

“Will you just listen to me?!” Rainbow cackled. “For crying out loud, I'm not trying to weaken your congregation! I'm trying to help it—”

Help it?!

Rainbow Dash felt her entire body throttled by that last outburst. It took a few seconds for the shivering mare to understand why—until she realized it was coming from Kyron. She looked across the table to see a set of angry teeth glinting back.

“You—a soul precocious enough to agree to being anointed by Verlaxion and yet dash all of that aside—invite yourself back into our domain... by our good graces...” He paced closer, weighted by an iron frown. “You suggest sacriligious things... beguiling the essence of the sacred Reed... going so far as to suggest—no—insist that we go about dismantling it—the Reed, our very core of honor and worship and salvation—and you dare to imply that this is some means of helping us?”

“It's just... just...” Rainbow gulped. “If you knew the whole picture—”

“But you are never willing to share the whole picture, are you, my child?!” Kyron seethed. “Like a selfish infant, you wander these platforms, trudging past sacred boundaries to take piecemeal from our good intentions, and yet you never give.”

“I... I went through your stupid ritual, didn't I?!” Rainbow's voice cracked. “You call that selfish?”

“Rainbow—” Twilight hissed.

“But you did not give your all!” Kyron exclaimed. “You gave your body and your mind...” He held a hoof over his chest. “But not your heart! Deep inside... in a dark core with much turmoil, you keep hiding the truth... and that, my child, is why you failed then... and that is why you are failing now!

Rainbow gawked at him.

Sonikah shivered while Antsan enjoyed a brief smirk.

Rainbow, Pinkie, and Twilight were wincing so hard that they scarcely squinted at the scene.

Towards the tail end of the interminable silence, Kyron blinked. Hard. “Well?! What have you truly come here to give us, child?!”

Rainbow stood in place, shivering.

Bard leaned against the edge of the room with a sigh. Wildcard looked on, wordlessly.

At last, Kyron sighed. His head bowed. “I see...” He adjusted the collar of his sackcloth tunic, then turned to face the hallway on the far end. “...and so it remains... as it always was...” As he and his fellow elders made for the exit on cold hooves, he waved a hoof high in the air.

Clearing his throat, Menthe shuffled over. “Alright, kiddo...” He reached for Rainbow's shoulder. “Show's over. You've upset the nest enough as it is.”

“Let's go, Dashie,” Pinkie said in a wilted voice. “I'm starting to like Bard's idea.”

“Yes...” Rarity nodded, sniffling. “Me too.”

Rainbow fumed. Then—at the last second—she snarled, throwing off Menthe's hoof. “Alright... alright!” She barked across the table. “You want the truth, elder?!”

Kyron scuffled to a stop. Slowly, with a calm expression, he turned around. Sonikah and Antsan likewise gazed at the mirror.

“Alright then...” Rainbow breathed and breathed, nostrils flaring. “Here it comes...”

The mare leaned against the table, her bandaged hooves clutching the edge hard.

“In the beginning... there was no beginning... but a continuation... just a piece of a crazy big circle that didn't know what to do with itself. This world... this collection of horizons that we all call 'home'... is really just a mostly flat... slightly curved piece of a much bigger whole... an unbelievably big structure called 'Urohringr'... built by ponies... built by non-ponies... but destroyed by something else in between...”

Kyron blinked. He arched an eyebrow, slowly walking towards the table with a pensive gate.

“Why Urohringr lost a piece of itself, I don't know. What I do know is that—over time... over a very long period of time, life blossomed on this derelict plane. Maybe some of it came from Urohringr. Maybe it came from the chaos cloud that the sliver of landscape had floated through. Whatever the case, everything was all messy and crazy until two different races of immortals chanced upon it. One was the Alicorns—who discovered it floating in space. The other... was the Divines... a group of super-powerful dragon matriarchs. Both groups used their different sets of powerful magic to try and instill order on this plane. Sometimes they worked together. But, for the most part, they worked apart. The Divines lost contact with one another, many of their kind gradually succumbing to chaos and madness. The Alicorns, in the meantime, sacrificed the majority of themselves to make sure that Harmony—their most powerful magic—kept the civilizations of this world living in prosperity.”

Antsan and Sonikah watched with gaping muzzles, their ears twitching. The other elders were similarly speechless.

Rainbow continued: “One such civilization—the last bastion for alicorn magic—is Equestria. It's run by Princess Celestia and Princess Luna... ponies so powerful in magic that they control the very Sun and Moon that light this plane. However... because of the limitations of their magic, they can only light one side of the plane. The other side—drenched in eternal night and chaos—houses something called the Midnight Armory. There, under lock and key, rests the final everlasting piece of Alicorn essence, the Harmonic Prism. Celestia's and Luna's ancestors placed it there, hoping to provide counterbalance for the Harmony that they had established on the light side of the plane. But little did they know that their actions—harmonically intended—were part of an even greater mechanism than either them or the Divines.

“This world has always been a part of Urohringr, and because of that, it's still powered by what makes Urohringr tick. As a consequence, every rule of magic—heck—every rule of nature is somehow bound by the wheels and spoke of an unseen machine. That machine exists underneath all of us—hidden beneath the surface of the world—with only a few entrances available to expose it. There are entrances on almost every continent. I've been to several entrances myself, even some in the seas of Rohbredden. And there's also an entrance here... in the Quade.

“The reason I know this is because the mechanics of this world... the worldess magic that imbues and energizes everything—even Harmony and chaos—has empowered me. There are ponies who have attempted to go the distance that I have gone before, but they have failed. Ancient beings of Urohringr who understood what this empowerment is had a word for it: 'Austraeoh.' They're all lost to the desolation of time, but some of their words—just enough to guide a chosen pony's path—came to me. I don't know why it's happened this way, or for what reason the power chose me. But I know that I've become it. I know it because... because it took the utter dismantling of the Elements of Harmmony to make me the Austraeoh. Harmony—the most sacred and powerful force in Equestria—became a tool... a spoke in the machine of Urohringr. And this machine needs a spark... a flame that drives me forward—from my homeland to the dark side of the world and back again—to scour every entrance and ignite every beacon. It beckons me to reclaim the Harmonic Prism. For what reason? I'm not entirely certain... but I know what the end game is—and that's to restore what's lost to Urohringr. I did not always know this, but I've gradually learned. And part of the source of my learning... has been the Divines themselves.”

Rainbow turned towards Antsan and Sonikah.

“The Divines are dying. They are not as powerful as they used to be. Some of them have reacted to the reality of Urohringr with madness... child-like tantrums on an epic scale. Others... have seen the part that I have to play in this. They know—as I now know—that to save this world... to restore what is lost before every living thing on both sides of the plane perish for good... I must access all entrances and make contact with all burning beacons. That way, I will restore the Elements of Harmony...which will in turn help me lay claim to the Harmonic Prism inside the Midnight Armory... which will ultimately help me reboot all of Urohringer. And it is directly because of this necessary Spark... and the Divines' knowledge of it... that I've been allowed to continue as far as I have.”

She then turned to look at Kyron across the table. Her expression turned soft as she conveyed the next part:

“But there is one Divine... a very sick and twisted one... a Goddess of frost and mystery... who seeks to block my path. It is in her demented opinion that she is—in fact—testing me... providing me with trials by which she can s-somehow... improve me... tranform me... by making me doing things that are not right.” Rainbow Dash shook her head. “I refuse to play by her rules. But—even still—her will is a difficult one to defy. Because she's been molding this landscape... altering this world... and constructing these traps for a very... very long time. And she's set up bulwarks—not in the shape of walls or spikes—but in the fabric of culture... and paranoia... and religion.”

Kyron blinked.

Rainbow took a deep breath. “This Goddess... this Divine is none other than the Dragon Matriarch of Frost.”

“Rainbow...” Twilight whispered. “Maybe that's as far as—”

Rainbow frowned, continuing with a bold voice: “The alicorns called her 'Verlax.' But... to the Rohbreddenites, she is 'Verlaxion,' the Queen who unified the Six Tribes.”

The far half of the room filled with sharp gasps and murmurs.

Rainbow took a heavy step forward. “She has been lying to each and every one of you all your lives! All of your ancestors' lives!” She gulped, eyes darting about at the breathless figures. “And their ancestors and their ancestors before them! She's cold... calculated... but mad! And she's using you... she's using all of you and what you believe in to manipulate both the flight of Austraeoh and the fate of Urohringr...”

“Goddess...” Sonikah whimpered, trotting backwards.

“And she's even using the Reed! And the Quade! And the sanctuary right here!” Rainbow pointed. “To keep me from entering the Tower!”

“Verlaxion, bless me...” Antsan hoof-gestured, murmuring prayers. Nevertheless, he managed to sneer: “Guard us from these wicked, poisoned words...”

Rainbow struggled to speak above the amounting bedlam: “You have to understand! I... I-I didn't come here to attack you! What you've created here—this religion—it's a nifty, kind thing! A way of life without murder and suffering... but there will come a time when you can't ignore reality any longer!” She swung a hoof. “You can keep your Reed! You can continue meditating and worshipping and all that song'n'dance! But I need... all of Urohringr needs me to finish my flight! I have to get inside this Tower! I have to retrieve the next Element or everything is lost!” She couldn't even hear herself from the commotion, and so she snarled. “Darn it! Didn't you hear me?! I'm not attacking your faith—”

“An attack on the Reed is an attack on our faith!” Antsan said, frowning. Several elders grumbled and barked angrily behind him as he continued: “Do you even hear yourself, child?! You speak of... of... gigantic machines! Structures in the heavens! Alicorns and Divines... Beacons and Sparks!” He blanched. “You... you even attack the very structure of your own Equestrian traditions by maligning Harmony! And you expect us to think you're keeping the Goddess' divination in consideration?!”

“But it's the truth!” Rainbow's voice yelped, only to disintegrate like sea foam against a cliff. “You asked for the truth, and I gave it to you—”

“A truth that convoluted would be a very nightmarish reality indeed!” Antsan squinted. “Have you ever considered, child, that perhaps you are so haunted by your own sins... so clouded by your own mistakes that you have elected to suffer a very terrible dementia?”

“What?!”

“Hrmmf...” Antsan folded his forelimbs. “No wonder you are always mumbling to the shadows whenever I see you! Tell me... do some of these Alicorns and Divines speak in tongues that only you can hear?”

“Calm down, anointed one,” Kyron murmured across the domain.

“And you!” Antsan frowned at the Desperadoes. “You... you encourage her sickness?”

“Now see here...” Bard shuffled forward. “Deep in Shoggoth, down in the ancient tombs of the Sirens, Dubya-Cee and I done saw with our own eyes the exact sort of 'machinery' that Rainbow's talkin' about—”

Sonikah yelped. “You... you mean you desecrated the Sirens' tombs before coming here?!”

Bard blinked. “Uhm...”

“Oh dear,” Twilight gulped.

Rarity face-hoofed.

“Only the royal guards of the Siren Princess are allowed in those places!” Sonikah shivered. “I... I once lived in Shoggoth before being called to the Quade, and those sepulchers are absolutely sacred!” She backed up, eyes glossing over. “Oh, blessed Verlaxion, what h-have we invited into your domain...?”

“Now...” Bard raised a hoof. “Lemme explain—”

“Pfft! What's to explain?!” Antsan frowned. “Now it all makes sense! Once bounty hunters and thieves, always bounty hunters and thieves! Is this all an elaborate ruse to get us to lower our defenses?!”

“Not in the least ya raggedy-hair'd yahoo!” Bard barked. “Will ya just stop flippin' yer shit and give a little ear for once?!”

“I have given ear... we all have... and yet we still continue to... to...” Antsan pointed. “...to h-humor this pathetic little demon!”

“Anointed one—” Kyron breathed.

“Menthe, do your role, and remove these vagabonds from Verlaxion's sanctuary,” Antsan said with a huff. “In fact, perhaps it would do all of Rohbredden good if you removed their skulls from their necks—”

A hoof viciously grabbed Antsan by the shoulder and spun him around. The young stallion found himself deflating in the shadow of Kyron's yelling muzzle:

No!” Kyron snarled. “We will not threaten the lives of Verlaxion's children! Is that understood?!”

Antsan paled, his pupils shrinking. “My... my elder—”

“Rainbow Dash may no longer have Verlaxion's blessing, but at least she carries the Goddess' good temperament!” Kyron huffed and puffed. “Maybe I was wrong in removing her anointed status! Maybe I should have removed yours!”

Antsan shivered. He leaned away from the old stallion, his eyes welling up with fearful tears.

Kyron seethed and seethed. Suddenly, he blanched. The elder removed his hoof from Antsan's body, teetering backwards as if struck by a club. Swallowing a lump down his throat, he shivered in place. Then—with quiet motions—he turned ninety degrees and marched straight towards a wooden cabinet along the side of the room. He placed his hooves on the edge, then lifted a panel, revealing a solid row of tiny spurs, carved in metal. The stallion took several deep breaths... then thrust his fetlocks against the sharp teeth.

Rainbow Dash and Bard winced. Rarity and Pinkie blocked their eyes.

Galloran's lips pursed. He stepped forward to stop the elder, but Menthe held him place with a firm hoof.

Kyron's facial muscles flexed, writhed, then relaxed. He took several deep breaths as the pain coursed through his body. At last—as tiny droplets of blood dribbled down to the floor—he tilted his head back with a sigh. Eyes closed, he eventually found the hoarse voice to speak with:

“Rainbow Dash...” He said. “... I... do not appreciate the air of hostility that you have brought to this sanctuary.” He spoke calmly, with evenly placed words. “Perhaps, in your heart of hearts, you mean well. I have no doubt that you possess full conviction of your actions. But, as it stands, all you've done and all you continue to do is only deleterious to the sanctity of spiritual pursuits that we have long established here.”

“But...” Rainbow pointed at Antsan. “But I wasn't...” She gritted her teeth. “You asked for the truth!”

“Indeed. And you gave me what you thought it was, however sadly mistaken. It is with a heavy heart that I must confess... that I have failed to bring the actual truth to you.” He gnashed his teeth... then yanked his hooves off the spurs. Two elders rushed in from another room with sackcloth bandages. He raised his limbs, allowing them to tend to his bloodied fetlocks. “I have failed again... but I intend to learn from my mistakes... to better aid in Verlaxion's glory.” His eyes opened, resting calmly on Rainbow Dash. “I have focused too hard on Scripture... on Sacrament... on the logistics of our faith. I neglected to inspire you with the love... with the kindness of heart and contentment that our congregation embodies. And here... you have been forced to witness us at our... ugliest.” Once the bandages were firmly attached, he leaned forward. The pressure put on his forelimbs forced a brief grimace, but he maintained his firm gaze on the pegasus. “I must not let that happen again.”

The elder strolled forward, pausing to place a gentle, reassuring hoof on both Sonikah's and Antsan's shoulders.

“Never before have I requested that a foal of Verlaxion leave these platforms. But, for now, I believe that such is the only measure that will allow for optimal peace and contentment for everypony. Perhaps, in time, you... the three of you will discover the true will of Verlaxion, and you will be drawn back to the Quade with open hooves... bearing the sins and passions that you finally wish to bury here in the shadow of Luminar's Plight. But... if you stay here any further... I fear that such a Plight might happen again. And, as Kyron, that is something I cannot afford.”

“Please... I-I'm sorry that I had to unload on you like that...” Rainbow stammered. “But... b-but maybe now you can see why I didn't share the truth before. It's... it's just so damn stupid! If you could just—”

“I have given you the full extent of the mercy Verlaxion has granted me,” Kyron said in a stoic tone. “Now... you must leave. I trust you to do so expediently... as you are swift at everything else you do.”

“Please...” Rainbow choked on a sob. “Please... will you h-help me...?” She pointed through the floor. “It's there! The beacon's right there!”

“Come on, ponies...” Menthe muttered, gripping Bard's shoulder with very little grace. “You heard the elder. You had your chance.”

“He's right, Rainbow,” Bard sighed, tugging the mare along. Wildcard was already shuffling out, and the stallion followed. “Let's mosey.”

“I-I can't just leave it...!” Rainbow yelped, whimpered. “Please! You gotta understand! I-I just can't leave Fluttershy!”

Her words fell on nopony's ears. The procession shuffled out in a cold slump with Galloran taking up the rear.

PreviousChapters Next