• Published 5th Dec 2014
  • 3,191 Views, 198 Comments

The Last Vacation - Noble Thought



Friends. What does it mean to be friends? Twilight Sparkle wonders just what it was that drew these five girls together, what keeps them together, and where she fits in... if she fits in at all.

  • ...
5
 198
 3,191

Epilogue: Plucking at Threads

“She really is quite the elegant creature, is she not?” Rarity held up her fashion sketchpad, opened to the sketch she’d done of Fluttershy’s pony self for her friend’s inspection. “Not so graceful as you, dear, but elegant all the same. I wish I had brought more than just my sketch pencils. Why, I think I can see how to fit those adorable pony ears into an outfit, even!” She flipped a couple pages over to a half-sketched chapeu. “See, the ears would appear here, right beside these two embroidered butterflies.”

“That would be nice.” Fluttershy’s smile flittered across her lips, and faded.

“Are you all right?”

Fluttershy wavered a hand in the air, but didn’t offer anything further.

Rarity sighed as she flipped slowly through the more recently filled pages, her eyes half on the sketches, and half on Fluttershy, staring out the window.

She stopped briefly at the one she’d drawn of Applejack, the mare looking in the drawing, and in her lingering vision, much as she imagined a pony Applejack would—even down to the Stetson seemingly inseparable from her head. Odd, that, for a pony to wear a cowboy hat.

If only the drawing or the vision could talk, she might get something from one or the other aside from the nervous glances and never-started conversations she’d felt brewing, only to have them peter out before the first word. Ever since Applejack had come down from driving Twilight up the bluff, she had seemed to walk on tenterhooks around her. And that, after she had braided Applejack’s hair the night before.

She could show some sign of appreciation for it. Instead, all she had gotten in return was a nervous silence always teetering on the edge of becoming the question she saw lurking in Applejack’s eyes.

It was starting to irritate her.

At least she’s left it braided, she thought, as Applejack tugged on its end. That was a lot of work, with her thick hair.

She closed the sketchbook firmly, and turned her attention deliberately back to Fluttershy. “You’re thinking about that… tree, aren’t you?”

“Yes.” Fluttershy turned to look at her, mouth hanging open for a second longer before closing, and she turned away. “I’m worried.”

“So am I,” Rarity admitted, tapping the edge of the sketchbook against her knee. “But nothing except for the tree seems to be amiss.” A thought came to her, and found quick escape through her lips. “Do you think it has something to do with what happened last night?”

Applejack, beside her in the driver’s seat, snorted indelicately. “Sure you have to ask that, Rares? ’Course it does. There ain’t any question in my mind at all.”

“Well, in your mind, perhaps, there are none. But not in mine. Coincidence, perhaps. Or events unbeknownst to us coming to fruition.” She sniffed, glancing at her phone. “I do wish my parents would call back.”

“They’re fine, Rares. They said they needed to discuss some things, didn’t they?” Applejack’s hand rested on her knee briefly, squeezed, and jerked back to the wheel.

She considered her friend for a moment before answering, and glanced down at her bare knee, the ruffle ending halfway up her thigh when seated. Just ask, Applejack. Please. She sighed, keeping the thought locked away. When she had explored it herself, asking herself what question she wanted Applejack to ask, she found only a mire of conflicting worries.

She examined the thought for a moment longer, and discarded it with a huff. Best not to waste thought on an answer to a question she hadn’t been asked yet. She pressed her lips together as she felt the thought attempt to come out.

“Rares?” Applejack glanced at her and jerked her eyes forward. “Sorry. Ya got kinda quiet all of a sudden.” The knuckles on her right hand turned white, then their normal light orange. “Yer parents are fine.”

“I know,” Rarity said. She gritted her teeth over the irritated words trying to come out. Just ask! I don’t care what it is, just ask and get it out, Applejack.

The impulse passed, and she glanced at her phone again, then back at Pinkie. “Any word yet from your friends on MyStable about the tree?”

“Nope. Just more questions. Something about Luna making a press release, but kinda scanty on details.” Pinkie tapped her phone against her thigh, eyes on Rarity’s sketchbook. “Say, did any of you get a feeling, like your pony self was looking at you? Because I really, really felt like mine was. I even got this pinchy feeling in my shoulder, like I do when someone’s staring at me.”

“For the third time, Pinkie, no. I didn’t. I saw ‘er, and she looked up. That was it. She didn’t look like no pony I’d ever seen, though. Y’know, same likeness to a pony, but… not. I knew she was a person, though.” Applejack shrugged, glancing aside again at Rarity. “You’re better at puttin’ this kinda stuff to word. What’d you think?”

I think you need to stop dancing around and ask me… something! She pursed her lips tighter over the words that wanted to come out.

Thankfully, her phone rang, and she didn’t have to risk having that embarrassing outburst.

“Hello? Mother?”

“And your father. We wanted to talk to you about the beach house.” Her mother’s voice held a touch of eager delight in it she didn’t like.

The last time her mother had used that tone, she had shortly been on a plane to Fillydelphia to walk a historic boardwalk and try to ignore the baubles her mother purchased. Her father, of course, had smiled and nodded at everything.

“It’s great you kids had a great time there this week, and got the propane tank filled again. Sorry about that, but thanks for taking care of it,” her father continued.

Rarity took a deep breath. “Yes. Mr. Truck was quite prompt this morning, and it was nice to finally have a hot shower.” She took another breath, calmer. “About the house—”

“Yes, we’re going to keep the house. We decided after we talked to your sister. Sweetie Belle agrees with you.”

Finally, something we agree on. She kept the thought sealed away. “I’m glad. And just how are we going to keep it?”

“It’s also going to work for us, too. Three times a year, we’re going to rent the place out to one of the prospective buyers who approached us. Solid contract, too, none of this ‘we trust you to keep the place clean’ stuff. Aside from that, we’re willing to let it be used exclusively for you and your friends. And your sister, too, of course. You’ll have to share.”

“That won’t be a problem.” Since she can’t drive.

“There’s a catch,” her mother said quickly.

Of course there is. She’s going to turn me into a chaperon, most likely.

“Maintenance for it is only going to get more expensive as the house ages,” her father said in his stolid voice. “It already costs a good deal to keep it up, and the roof needs re-shingling soon. If you and your friends help out, or chip in to help us pay for it, we’ll consider it a payment on rent to the place.”

“Rent?” Rarity tasted the word, almost gagged on it. “You’re going to make us pay rent?”

“Rarity Belle, don’t take that tone with your father.” Her mother’s voice steamrolled over hers. “We’re asking you to help us pay for a small part of it. It’s not so much to ask, is it?”

Her father continued as though neither had said anything, “You have a choice to help us through labor or monetary investment. It’s a valuable lesson that you’ll need to learn if you want to start up that fashion company you’re always talking about. Running a business is much like maintaining a rental property—there’s more to it than just having fun.” Her father trailed off. She almost saw him shrug. “We are willing to take care of other expenses on our own, as partners, if you will, in business.”

“Just a moment, daddy,” she said sweetly, and muted the call. “They’re going to keep it, but they want to help us do maintenance for rent.”

“And that’s dandy,” Applejack said. “We discussed that possibility, and we knew it would be something we might haveta do. It’s not so bad. Little work here and there. Make a vacation of it. Have a little fun, work some, it’d be like…” Applejack stared hard out the windshield, and shook her head after a moment.

“Like what?” Ask!

Applejack gave her a brief, pleading look, as though she had heard the unvoiced command, and turned her eyes back to the road.

Rarity sighed.

“I’m willin’ to put up my share of work,” Applejack said.

“Me too.” Fluttershy reached out to touch Rarity’s shoulder. “I had fun. It was nice to get away from the city for a while. But, I do hope we can take Angel next time.” The stuffed bunny plush on her lap squeaked when she squeezed it. “It’s just not the same.”

“Aww, you’ll be back soon enough, Fluttershy. Maybe he and Gummy can have an ‘End of Vacation Bash’ together!”

Rarity smiled to herself and unmuted the phone. “You understand, of course, that it’s not just me you’re asking to pay rent, of course? My friends…”

“Of course. You’re all going into ‘business’ together. It’s only right they do some of the work, too,” her father’s all-too-reasonable tone reminded her poignantly of Applejack. “You can be far too giving, Rarity. I know charity is something I’ve preached to you, but be careful not to take it too far.”

“I won’t. It’s just, well, this has been a very special vacation for all of us. And for one of us, especially. I’m worried what she’ll think about being asked to work for it so soon after—” She barely held the words back, and only because Applejack smacked her shoulder.

“Oh, that new girl, right? I remember you saying something of the sort.” Her father snapped his fingers rapidly. “Twilight Sparkle! I remember meeting her once, don’t I? You brought her over briefly, I think, to fit her for some outfit or another.”

“Yes, yes. And she’s quite fine.” I think.

“Ah, that’s great, then. Great. So… yes, then, on working for your rent?”

She raised an eyebrow at Applejack, who nodded. “Yes.”

“Great! We’ll see you soon, darling. Tell Applejack to drive safe.”

“She always does, mother. I love you both, and I’ll be home in…” She reached over and tapped Applejack on the shoulder.

“Well, it’s about another three hours to Canterlot’s city limits, but we’re gonna stop by the farm first. Er… Sunset’s farm.”

“I’ll be home sometime tonight.”

“Alright, sweetie. Take care.”

She hung up and folded the phone in her lap, closing her eyes. The road droned by, with only the sound of Pinkie’s frequent commentary breaking into her blessedly thought-free respite. Sleep eluded her, still, and the ache behind her eyes reminded her she’d had a scant five hours rest the night before.

“So… uh… Rares?” Applejack cleared her throat. “Rarity?”

“Yes?” She didn’t open her eyes.

Applejack didn’t say anything.

She waited for a slow count of six breaths and opened her eyes. “Ask, Applejack. I’m getting quite tired of waiting for you to ask whatever it is you and Twilight concocted between you.” She sighed, moderating her tone, and continued, “It’s quite unlike you.”

“I know… I’m not sure how ta ask.” Applejack swallowed, fingers tight on the steering wheel. “But I can’t get my mind off it.”

“It’s not difficult. Like this, ‘Applejack, what is it you’ve been meaning to ask me for the past day and a half?’” She sighed, waving a hand. “I apologize. That came out snippy, but honestly, it is getting quite frustrating.”

“How’d you know?”

“Know what? That you’ve had a burning question you’ve been meaning to ask? What is it?” A dress for the Spring Fling? Dating advice? Makeup advice? Please let it be makeup advice.

Still no question.

She sighed, scrubbing at her forehead. Sleep after last night’s event had been next to impossible, and napping during the trip woke her motion-sickness as soon as she started to drift off. “Applejack, I’m not blind. I’m tired. Of course I’ve known you wanted to ask something. Out with it, please?”

“Uh… You sure?” She reached out and tapped the clock, sighed, and then glanced back at Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy.

“And keep your eyes on the road, please.”

“Sorry. It’s kinda, uh, personal. Y’know?”

Dating advice, then. “Out with it.” She tried to keep the edge out of her voice. She added, more softly, “We’re all friends, here.”

“Rarity? Are you… do you…” Applejack’s hands squeezed the wheel, fingers massaging it. “Tarnation, there ain’t no delicate way ta say it. Rarity, I’ve got a crush on you. And, uh… that’s pretty much it.” Her cheeks flared bright pink, her eyes fixated on the road ahead.

For a long moment, it felt like the words of Applejack’s declaration sat outside of her conscious mind. She knew them, and saw them as if they were physical things she could pluck out of the air and examine at her leisure. But when she reached up, they scattered, and their meaning spilled into her as though she were an already full bucket.

Dating advice. I was right. A mad giggle threatened to overwhelm her. She forced it back into the bucket.

“Well.” Rarity scrubbed at her temple. “Well. I can honestly say that was not what I thought you wanted to ask me. Not that it’s a question. I mean, a question starts with a… a question. That was a statement. And I’m sorry, but I need a question to answer. I can’t statement that.” She pulled her hand away, staring at it as though sense could be made of her thoughts in the firmness of her fingers, in the small callouses from working with needle and thread on the tiny details of embroidery.

I need to replace my emery board when I get home, It appears the one I brought has lost its grit. She rubbed at the rough edge of the callous on her thumb, aware, faintly, of the dribbling away of her thoughts as her mind turned sideways. She let them go.

“Rarity?”

“Yes, Applejack?”

“I need ta know… do you feel the same?”

“The same what?” Definitely a new emory board. Maybe some new nail gloss, too. She rubbed at the callous again, catching the edge with a fingernail. She plucked at it again and again.

“Come on, you know what I’m talking about.” Applejack looked aside at her, back to the road, then back at Fluttershy and Pinkie. “Don’t do this to me. Please, tell me. Yes, or no.”

Rarity risked a look back to see Fluttershy with a flush up to her hairline, staring out the window, and Pinkie with eyes wide as dinner plates, and a broad grin illustrating exactly how she felt about it.

Rarity ducked back into her seat, wishing she could sink all the way into it. “I can’t.” She shook her head with the whisper, the motion and her words feeling jerky. One thought came back to her right after. What do I do?

Nothing else came back but a mad giggle, echoing up from the bottom of her mind.

Applejack drove on, the silent tension building in the droning hum of the wheels on asphalt.


When they stopped at a rest area almost an hour later, Pinkie yanked open the sliding door before the van had even stopped, and pulled Fluttershy out with her when it did.

Rarity sat still, staring at her hands in her lap, at her thumb, the skin around the rough edges an angry red. She remembered, vaguely, picking at it while staring out the window, but couldn’t recall what she had been thinking about.

Applejack sat still, her thumbs thumping against the steering wheel.

“I shouldn’t have asked,” Applejack said softly.

“Asked.” She swallowed. “Applejack… I don’t… I can’t—”

“I know. Sorry. Look, can you forget what I told you?”

“Told me.” Told me you have a crush on me. “I don’t see how. Do you know how many crushes I’ve had? How many men of consequence and stature I’ve flung my heart at?”

“A few.” Applejack frowned, and she could almost see the gears turning, trying to see where she was going.

“A few.” Rarity laughed, already feeling the hurt from each welling up inside her. “A few, yes. And do you remember how crushed I was when all of the affections I threw at them got me, at best, a pat on the head?”

She leveled her stare at Applejack, saw the dawning comprehension in her friend’s eyes. “Yes, Applejack. How could you do this to me? I can’t hurt you like that. How dare you put me in their position!”

Applejack stared at her for the length of a long, indrawn breath, the hurt plainly written in the crinkle of her brow and the shimmer of tears in her eyes. “Sorry.” Her fist cracked against the door handle. “I didn’t choose to put you there. I didn’t choose to fall for you like I did. I ain’t even sure I’d choose different, if I’d had a choice. But, right now, you’re makin’ it really hard to see what I saw there in the first place.”

Rarity felt her smile harden as she drew about her the same, familiar armor that had always protected her from hurt. She felt the words bubble up in her chest, the savage strike that would sever herself from feeling. “Maybe there’s nothing to see! Ever think of that!”

Her own words struck her like the hammerblow of an angry god. Her smile shattered.

Thought and words fled. She tried to follow, but her body felt numb, and all she could manage was to turn away and thump her head against the window.

“No. I never thought that.” Applejack laid a hand on her shoulder, slid it along behind her neck to her other shoulder. “Rarity, you ain’t alone, and there’s more to you than your surface. I’ve always known. But I really saw you let it out for the last several days.”

“And there’s a reason I keep it in.” The words felt numb.

“Why?” Applejack’s hand on her shoulder pulled her closer. “That don’t make sense. It’s a beautiful part of you.”

“Because if I don’t let it out, I can’t get hurt.” The words came without her thinking about them, but they felt true. The first sting of unshed tears plucked at her eyes as she loosened her control. “If I don’t let them see what’s inside, it doesn’t hurt as much when I get patted on the head and told ‘That’s nice. Now run along.’” A sob choked her, and the ache behind her eyes became a wash down her cheeks.

“And if you never let it out, no one can see it.” Applejack leaned in closer, or she was pulled closer, she couldn’t tell. “That’d be a right shame.”

She let herself be tugged closer, let Applejack join another arm with the first, and buried her face in Applejack’s shoulder. She smelled like a hard worker: an undertone of sweat and dirt. But, there was femininity there, too, soft and almost buried, a scent of strawberries and apples, strongest in the thick braid brushing her cheek. Applejack had used her shampoo and conditioner.

“What changed, Applejack? Why did I let myself be vulnerable?” She clutched at Applejack’s plaid shirt, catching the braid up in her grip. “And why did you…” The words stuck in her throat even as they played out in her mind, ‘fall in love with me?’

Applejack seemed to hear them. “Because I saw you.”

“But you see me every day. Why now?”

“It was seein’ you reliving your memories of the beach and house.” Applejacks voice and breath murmured through her hair like a warm summer’s breeze caressing her. A strong hand settled on her back, stroking hesitantly at first, then more surely when she offered no resistance. “That’s powerful, Rares. There’s places out on the farm like that, for me. Couple places…”

Applejack’s trailed off as her hand came up to brush at Rarity’s cheek. “That’s why you can’t let go of someplace like that. There’s too much of you bound up in it.”

“Too much of me. I couldn’t hold myself in. It just… just…”

“Shh. I know, Rares. Trust me, I know.” Applejack’s arm around her tightened.

What would it be like, she wondered as she let her head sink against Applejack’s shoulder. Her cheek settled into the hand as the thought trailed into a dream. If I let her love me, could I love her back?

Nothing about Applejack’s farm girl physique or her usual state of dress did anything for her, and even when she could feel the solid tension of muscle quivering under her cheek, there was nothing physical there to quicken her pulse.

Her heart thudded a little harder at the feel of Applejack’s hand on her cheek, tangling in her hair. It was a temptation, and she could give in and see where it went.

“I can’t,” she said. She pulled back from the embrace a moment later. “I can’t let you hope for what I can’t give you, Applejack. I won’t be my own crushes to you.”

“You ain’t exactly pattin’ me on the head, and I didn’t exactly throw myself at you.” Applejack’s chuckle stung, but her laugh warmed it away. “I’m askin’ you to tell me honest. Do you feel something for me? Like I do for you.”

Rarity froze again, all except her fingers plucking at her thumb. She glared down at it and forced her hands to stay still in her lap.

Applejack squeezed her shoulder shoulder. “Just say it. Two letters. I promise I won’t get mad. Or hurt. I’m still your friend, Rarity, and I love you no matter.”

“No.” She shook her head. “I can’t say it.” Why?

Applejack sighed and thumped her head back against the head cushion. “Why not?”

Why not? Such a simple question, but no answer to it came to mind. I don’t want to hurt you. She tried to say it. “I-I don’t…” But why? Because you’ve been searching for romance and throwing your heart hither and thither and yon. Why not?

“I wish I’d had your courage to ask bluntly, and sit there waiting for an hour. How much time would I have saved?” She laughed softly even as the hours spent weeping in bed clawed with tiny nails at her heart. Every one of them she had loved, and every one of them had turned her affections aside. “I wish I had the courage to tell you no.”

“Well, if that’s your answer, then I’ll abide by it.” Applejack nodded, as if that settled the matter. “I won’t force you to answer.” There was still a hopeful gleam she could see in Applejack’s eyes.

“That’s not my answer,” she said in a soft whisper.

“Then what is? Can you love me?”

Do you, is what you mean, she thought, but kept it carefully locked away. “I don’t know. I’ve never asked myself. I never had a need or want to know. My heart is a simple thing, Applejack, and I’ve never thought it might go someplace…” Her train of thought petered out as her words did. “Because I do love you, Applejack. I love all of you.”

“But not… that way.” Applejack nodded, frowning. “I never thought to ask myself, either, ‘till Twi and RD shoved it in my face.”

“Are you a lesbian?” The words shocked her even as she heard them in her own voice. “Oh, stars! That was rude.”

“Little bit. Hah!” Applejack shook her head, smiling. “I don’t think so. I mean, I’ve liked to gander at the fellers helpin’ at the farm, those CU Ag guys really got it.” She grinned, flexing her arm to show off the tight bicep under the edge of her tee. “Never really thought I’d gander at the girls, too. I mean, we hire a few every year, mostly Ag students, too, but none of em really held my interest.” She shrugged, leaning back, lips pursed. “Which is funny. You’d think I’d have triggered on one of them.”

Rarity shook her head. “No. Not you.” A quiet certainty rose up in her as she said the words, and followed where they led, uncertain where they would go. There was a certain thrill to it, she thought, speaking from the heart. “Because there wasn’t anything there, with them, and you didn’t know them like you do me. You’ve seen me at my worst, Applejack.”

Applejack didn’t answer immediately, but she was nodding, brow furrowed as if in deep thought. “And your best,” she said finally. “This past week has been… I saw it again, when we were talkin’ to Dash about Twi. Funny, that, huh?” She chuckled. “Between worryin’ about the house, and them two, and then Sunset? Rares, that’s some Grade A stress, right there.”

“It was, wasn’t it?”

“And you came through it all, shinin’ like the sun.”

Applejack’s arm around her squeezed once again, then let go, sliding back over Rarity’s neck, past her shoulder and under the trailing curl of her hair, her hand becoming an offering as it settled in the empty air between them.

“I remember holding your hand on the drive down the cliff. When we first got here.”

“I do, too,” Rarity admitted. The hand drifted down, and with it, she saw a chance at real love passing by.

She took it before it fell away, holding it tight in her hands, surprised to find how warm and dry Applejack’s hand was. She had been expecting it to feel the way her hands felt when she approached a crush: clammy, damp, and shaking. Applejack’s was as rough as sandpaper in places, and she found several spots where dirt had embedded into Applejack’s skin and not come out again, trapped in the rough skin covering her palms.

It wasn’t a beautiful hand. It was a strong, real hand, steady in hers as it squeezed back. She stroked the callous on her thumb along the roughened palm, hers delicate by comparison, but no less well-earned.

It was the same hand that had held hers steady while childhood memories had danced through her emotions with careless disregard for what hurt they awoke. It was Applejack.

What would it be like to hold that hand longer? To kiss her? Applejack’s lips looked soft and feminine where the rest of her was as rough as her work. She leaned over the empty space between seats before she knew what she was doing.

Applejack met her halfway.


Fluttershy puffed a light breath at the butterfly perched on her finger, urging it to flight with a gentle flick of her finger.

“Did you remember the bracelets?” Pinkie asked, raising an eyebrow as her thumbs danced over her phone’s screen, not paying much attention to anything else. Or, she was, in her own way, Fluttershy thought. Paying attention to the thousand and one things she always did and somehow keeping them all straight.

It was the third time Pinkie had asked since leaving. There were another six more to go. As Pinkie had explained it to her, she thought with a smile, ‘If the third time’s the charm, then the third time’s the charm times the third time’s the charm is doubly charmed! No, wait… triply! Or is it charmed squared? Twilight, I need help with a math problem!’

“Yes.” She pointed at the van after the butterfly had taken off. “They’re all in my backpack.”

Good.” Pinkie drew the word out like a strand of taffy. “So,” she sat up abruptly, twitching the phone to face down. “Think they’re gonna kiss?”

“Maybe?” She shrugged. “I thought Twilight and Rainbow Dash were going to kiss a few times.” Her hands folded themselves in her lap, a prim and proper fold, with the fingers tucked into curls, the tips invisible under each other. “They didn’t,” she added.

“Huh.” Pinkie’s phone seemed to flip back over of its own accord. “Sunset wants to know if we’re coming back soon. She says it’s about the tree”

“As soon as we’re done going to the bathroom.” Fluttershy nudged her chin towards the small building sitting silent in the afternoon sun. “I kind of do have to go.”

“Aww, but then you’ll miss it!” Pinkie waved at the van. “See? They’re hugging. Next up is kissing!”

“I thought we were out here to give them privacy. It doesn’t seem nice to watch them.”

Pinkie shot her a look, lifted a finger, lowered it, and folded her arms over her chest. “I hate it when you make a good point.”

Fluttershy smiled.

“Come on. Let’s go to the bathroom.”

Author's Note:

Apologies to all of my readers. I seem to have left a good deal of threads untied. There are some, still, that will carry over to be plot items in the next story, but some will not be a focus. Best to tie those up here.

Once again, apologies for leaving so much unfinished.

Comments ( 16 )

88,888 words total

Oh, such hate for the numbers that replicate and repitate to the point that the gate to a story so great can now only rate as bait for the numerically inclined and thus sate their wait for something to share with their mate.

6334428 Never before have I felt such love for a fellow user on this site.

Don't tell Bad_Seed, pls. >.>

6334603

Glad to hear it! There's one more chapter that I included here, tying up a few loose ends I'd carelessly left laying about :facehoof: Hope you enjoy!

Can't wait for a sequel.

In the end, I only have two things I think I should say:

First, giving credit where credit was due, I never had any troubles reading your scenes on their own (i.e: any things I mentioned were about how scenes linked with others from earlier).

Second, it's more of a commentary about a pet peeve of mine: I really hope you don't go through the route of creating a new Element of Harmony. Of coure having the Elements themselves my not be necessary to channel Harmony, like the Rainbooms did in in Rainbow Rocks (both the movie and your fic's version)

It was a fun ride.

6361715

No, no new elements. There's still just the six.

Nine if you count, er, other headcanons of mine including Celestia as Hope, Luna as Mystery, and Cadance as Love, with the four alicorns together forming a sort of alchemical compass of the elements of Life with the five other elements being representative, of sorts, of the classic five element model with aether being Pinkie Pie, Applejack: earth, Rainbow: air, Fluttershy: water, and Rarity as Fire, and Twilight as the central pivot that ties them all together.

i.imgur.com/EFMKqvP.jpg

Similar to this. But that's another story universe entirely that's not been fully explored, and that particular image is for a much older story, going back to the primordial pony roots and deeply rooted in a herd based society not unlike the clans of early human days (they're also called clanherds, tying in the herd-like qualities, while also acknowledging an often strong familial bond between the members of the herd.)

Anywho... back on topic...

No, for this story and the sequel, there's still just the six. I'm not going to try and cram that in atop the romance and slice of life plots. More, well... I suppose you'll see if you choose to continue in the next story. If you're not, but would still like to know my thoughts, shoot me a PM and we can talk.

Aaand all caught up, in one sitting from chapter nine onwards! My apologies once again for the delay. Part of those'll be apologies to myself for missing out.

This was an excellent story, with all due deft personal and emotional interplay I've come to expect from your writing, along with description that achieves prettiness without gaudiness, and a good, immersive atmosphere. The build-up and exploration of the various feelings and mutual affections was very well handled, and I'm looking forward to where they're taken in the sequel. Turmoil in abundance, certainly ... but with enough light humour in the interactions to wash it all down smoothly and prevent it from getting bogged down.

Cracking stuff. I look forward to the next. :twilightsmile:

All caught up. And done, too. :p Anyway, Rarity and Applejack felt right. Also, best outcome for the vacation house! Great story, Noble!

i would love to see more i find it really interesting heck i think it be cool if applejack admitted she was bi or something along lines i think that be an interesting concept
now with sunny i think both her and dash should agree on whole thing on twilight and heck be even more interesting if all three of them ended up falling with each other *giving a small laugh*

6559482

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I wanted to make a hint of it before further events fell in.

6620314

I'm glad you're enjoying the story so far! The story, up to this point is a lot of fluff... but it turns around somewhat.

6701082

Glad you're still enjoying it! I hope you enjoy the next few chapters, too.

Pinkie shot her a look, lifted a finger, lowered it, and folded her arms over her chest.

Sounds like half of the conversation in the Skype chatroom.

9299134
Oh my gosh! You just missed me coming back. So let me take a moment to reply:

Wow. Just wow. Thank you. That's the highest compliment I think I've ever been paid. I like the description of Hayseed myself. I work in such a small town, and I used it as a base for the idea. I've also driven through Kansas and Oklahoma quite a lot, and I borrowed from some of that imagery as well. I love small towns like this. They're little historical nuggets that don't change very often, and the people in them are... used to things being the way they are. But they're also, if you take a chance to get to know them, some of the most standup, kind people I've known.

And in a single sitting! Wow. Glad you enjoyed it, and hope you stay around the site. There's a ton of awesome stories on here.

Um. Toodles.

This was a beautiful and warm and complex story from start to finish and I really enjoyed every bit of reading through it.:twilightsmile:
That hook at the end with the tree is an interesting development. I'm looking forward to what comes next in the sequel.

Login or register to comment