• Published 22nd Aug 2014
  • 4,753 Views, 2,143 Comments

The Life of a Wanted Changeling Season 2: Debt to a Doctor (Comment Driven Story) - Down with Chrysalis



The continued misadventures of you, Bugze the Changeling, as The Doctor calls up on your debt with him and he asks you to come to Canterlot immediately

  • ...
36
 2,143
 4,753

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 40: Dr. Quacksalver's The Name And Operating On You Is My Game!

... Look out. This guy sounds like a quack. Make sure to steer him away from any practice that involves shocking you every five seconds.

OK, crazy doctor. Previously a situation you've only encountered in your darkest nightmares, itseems that all those hospital horror video games are about to pay off.
"Quacksalver, was it?" You start.
"That's Dr. Quacksalver to you, patient. I didn't spend ten minutes in the Canterlot Royal Medical Institution just to be addressed without my title," the "doctor" huffs.
You choose to play along. After all, he's the one holding a hoofull of scapels. "OK, Dr. Quacksalver. If you'll pardon my Prench, what the buck are you doing here?"
"Oh, don't worry, I don't mind the Prench," Quacksalver answers. "And as I've said before I'm just here to borrow some medical supplies. Do you have a hearing disorder? I may be able to help you with that."
"No, I'm quite fine, thank you," you answer as quickly as possible.
"Denial," he says. "Classic symptom of Selfdenyingus Crappyhearingdearingus Plus. Let me take a closer look."
"Stay the buck away from me!" You scream. He just chuckles to himself.
"They always say that," he says. "Don't worry patient. I'm a professional. The forest faeries in my wardrobe all agree."
"Forest faeries aren't real!" You squeal desperately.
"He's denying all logical speech!" Quacksalver cries. "The disease must've reached stage 47! We need to act immediately!" He grabs the nearest syringe and tosses it to you. "Inject yourself in the neck with that. Hopefully it's something safe."
"What do you mean hopefully!"you scream."you're not going to read what it is?"
"There's no time to read!" He cries. "There's also no time to apologize, blink, or do a barrel roll. We need immediate action!"

As you continue to look at the "Doctor" in the 5am early morning with Rainbow Dash still asleep, you think,

OK... Crazy Quack: A situation I've only encountered in survival horror games and the nightmares that came from those games. Time for all those hours of playing video games to pay off! Also, I have a feeling this guy will shock me every five seconds if he gets the chance

"Quacksalver, was it?" You start.

"That's Dr. Quacksalver to you, patient. I didn't spend ten minutes in the Canterlot Royal Medical Institution just to be addressed without my title." the 'doctor' huffs.

You choose to play along. After all, he's the one with quick access to a hooful of scalpels.

"OK, Dr. Quacksalver. If you'll pardon my Prench, what the buck are you doing here?"

"Oh, don't worry, I don't mind the Prench," Quacksalver answers. "And as I've said before I'm just here to borrow some medical supplies. Do you have a hearing disorder? I may be able to help you with that."

"No, I'm quite fine, thank you," you answer as quickly as possible.

"Denial," he says. "Classic symptom of Selfdenyingus Crappyhearingdearingus. Let me take a closer look."

"Stay the buck away from me!" You scream, but he just chuckles to himself.

"They always say that," he says. "Don't worry patient. I'm a professional. The forest faeries in my wardrobe all agree."

"Forest faeries aren't real!" You squeal desperately.

"He's denying all logical speech!" Quacksalver cries, "The disease must've reached stage 47! We need to act immediately!" He grabs the nearest syringe and tosses it to you. "Inject yourself in the neck with that. Hopefully it's something safe."

"What the buck do you mean hopefully!" you scream. "You're not even gonna read what it is?"

"There's no time to read!" He cries. "There's also no time to apologize, blink, or do a barrel roll. We need immediate action!"

And with that he suddenly gets a confused look, before he facehoofs and says,

"Oh, what am I thinking? I can't make him inject himself..."

You say in relief and think,

Thank Luna. For a second there I thought this crazy doctor was gonna make me-

"But I can operate on him!"

You stare at the Doctor in horror as you think.

Oh buck!

With that thought, Dr. Quacksalver picks you up and drops you onto a nearby stretcher, takes out another full body cast stuffed with rocks and puts it on your bed, and pushes you through the hospital halls. Sadly for you, Quack doesn't run to any of the other hospital staff. So you can't help but think,

It's just my luck that the one time I'm in a hospital, a crazy quack decides to operate on me! Curse you lady luck and your step-sister Time Convenience!

You suddenly hear doors being slammed open and you see that you're now in a operating room (you swore you saw a sign on the door that read "closed for repairs" on the way in...). Dr. Quack rolls you over into the middle of the room and begins to start grabbing 'medical' tools out of his bad and onto a table. You use the term 'medical' loosely as the tools he's grabbing don't look like they belong in a hospital.

What the buck!? Is that a kitchen knife? Why does he have a kitchen knife? What else is he grabbing?... A BUCKING PIZZA CUTTER! WHAT THE BUCK IS HE GONNA CUT WITH THAT! AND IS THAT A HAMMER!!!

Q: "Pass me the Burknomic Scalpel."
B: "That looks like a hammer."
Q: (Chuckles) "Yes, it looks very much like a hammer, but it's actually much blunter."

Dr. Quack then smiles as he puts the last tool onto a table next to you and he says,

"That's the last of that. Now don't worry, this'll only sting for about half of the operation. Oh, I see you've noticed my Burknomic Scapel."

You realize Quacksalver followed your line of sight to the hammer so you say,

"Uh... That looks like a hammer."

Quacksalver chuckles before saying,

"Yes, it looks very much like a hammer, but it's actually much blunter. But it doesn't matter as we're not using it yet."

"Oh that's good- Wait, what do you mean by "ye-""

He then grabs an old sword off the table and starts to walk towards you and you can't help but stare at him in horror. Dr. Quacksalver, seemingly noticing your horrified face, gives you a smile and says,

Q: Oh don’t worry silly little pony, I am a trained medical magician
You: Don’t you mean physician?
Q: No I don’t think so, I work with a lot of unicorns.
You: Umm…
Q: Here, I’ll show you. Let’s take a look at your medical sheet
(Picks up clipboard at the end of your bed)
Q: Oh no, these readings don’t look good, not good at all
You: What? Did the other doctors and nurses miss something?
Q: Oh no, I just can’t read the sheet, I don’t have my glasses on
You try to facehoove, but the pain makes you reconsider
He puts on some reading glasses and reads the sheet again.
Q: Ah, much better. Let’s see…Oh…oh I am so sorry…
You: About what?
Q: Losing your sight
You: What?
Q: Yes, blindness can be hard to live with, but you can always look on the bright side and…oh no wait, you wouldn’t be able to look on it would you?
You: But I’m not blind, I can still see!
Q: Hmm…you do have a point there, how else would you have known about me “not” stealing medical supplies? (looks back at sheet) Ah, here we go, I mixed up the c and the p in this spanishy looking word.
You: How do you…
Q: Ah…it’s even worse than blindness. It looks like we’re going to have to amputate your legs immediately
You: WHAT?!!! YOU’RE GONNA CUT OFF MY LEGS?!!!
Q: No! Oh no no no, is that what amputate means? No, I meant the other thing…
You: Operate?
Q: No, that doesn’t sound right either…ah now I remember, Do Nothing, we are going to do nothing and hope it gets better, that's how I saved my marriage.
You: Are you really a doctor?
Q: Of course I am, I went to school for four years for my degree
You: I thought Doctor’s went to school for 7 years
Q: Oh really? Oh now they tell me…
You are now really disturbed by this strange pony

Dr. Quacksalver says he has a "Grandmasters Degree in Chiropractic Medicine from the Las Pegasus Upstairs Medical College and Discount Printer" (the certificate is filled out in crayon however...)

"Oh don’t worry you silly pony, I am a trained medical magician."

"Don’t you mean physician?" you ask worriedly,

"No, I don’t think so, but I have worked with a lot of unicorns."

"Umm…"

"Here, I’ll show you. Let’s take a look at your medical sheet."

With that, Quacksalver absentmindedly tosses the sword behind him and picks up the medical sheet which you just noticed is still with you.

"Oh no, these readings don’t look good, not good at all."

"What? Did the other doctors and nurses miss something?" you ask worriedly,

"Oh no, I just can’t read the sheet, I don’t have my glasses on."

You try to facehoof, but the pain of your broken and casted arm makes you reconsider. He puts on some reading glasses and reads the sheet again.

"Ah, much better. Let’s see… Oh… oh I am so sorry…"

"About what?"

"Losing your sight."

"What?" you blankly say.

"Yes, blindness can be hard to live with, but you can always look on the bright side- oh no wait, you wouldn't be able to look on it would you?"

"But I’m not blind you moron, I can still see!"

"Hmm… you do have a point there, how else would you have known about me borrowing medical supplies?" (looks back at sheet) "Ah, here we go, I mixed up the c and the p in this weird-looking word."

"How do you…"

"Ah… it’s even worse than blindness. It looks like we’re going to have to amputate your limbs immediately!"

"WHAT?!!! YOU’RE GONNA CUT OFF MY LIMBS?!!!"

Dr. Quacksalver gets a shocked look and says,

"No! Oh no no no, is that what amputate means? No, I meant the other thing…"

"Operate?"

"No, that doesn't sound right either… ah now I remember, Do Nothing. We are going to do nothing and hope it gets better. That's how I solved my mortgage problem. Until the bank foreclosed my house for some reason..."

You give the "Doctor" a doubtful look and ask,

"Are you really a doctor?"

"Of course I am. I went to school for three years for my degree."

"Uh... I thought Doctor’s went to school for at least 8 years or something like that. And didn't you say you went Canterlot Royal Medical Institution for ten minutes?"

"Oh really? Then how do you explain this? And that was just one of many schools I went to."

He then pulls out from his saddlebag a certificate that reads Grandmasters Degree in Chiropractic Medicine from the Las Pegasus Upstairs Medical College and Discount Printer... but it's signed in red and green crayon. You are now really disturbed by this strange pony. Just as you think the doctor is gonna let you go, he gets this surprised look on his face and says,

Q: Ah, here’s something interesting, you are signed up for medical research because of your unique healing rate.
You: Wait, I’m what? I don’t remember agreeing to that
S: You gave your consent whilst you were inebriated
You: Buck!
Q: Funny, I thought ponies had to be dead first…Oh Well, I’m not doing anything right now, are you?
You: Huh?
Q: Great! To the surgery room! Here, eat this to dull the pain
He shoves a lemon in your mouth and you pucker up so much you can’t yell for help as he wheels you to the surgery room.
Once you unpucker, you start pleading.
You: Please, you can’t do this!
Q: Don’t worry, this won’t hurt a bit…until I jam this down your throat! (holds up a sharp looking tool with many points on it)
You: AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!
Q: Oh wait, what am I thinking, you’re legs are the things broken
He then unwraps your legs and he sees your true chitonous hide and you start sweating nervously
Q: Oh…are pony legs supposed to look like that? (looks at his own) no? Huh…OH well, time to make it normal
He brings out a mallet
You: What are you gonna do with that?
Q: I am going to break this shell covering your legs, don’t worry, bones cannot be broken more when they are already broken…
You: NO WAIT! THESE ARE MY REAL LIMBS!!!
Q: Really?
He pulls down your face wrappings and recoils
Q: Oof, boy are you ugly!
You: Hey!
Q: Don’t worry, I can fix that too. (pulls out fork) I will give you a face lift and make you look beautiful!
You: I DIDN’T PAY FOR THIS!!!
Q: Oh you didn’t? Oh, well until you pay, I can’t make you less ugly…it’s too distracting
(wraps your face again)

Dr. Quacksalver is a back-alley doctor who's figured out you're a changeling, but doesn't care as he treats all species and will never rat on them... for a price of course ("Got to pay for food and supplies somehow").

"I've had several changeling patients and most of them survived."

"Ah, here’s something interesting; apparently, you've been signed up for medical research because of your unique healing rate."

"Wait, I’m what? I don’t remember agreeing to that!" You say in alarm.

You gave your consent whilst you were inebriated.

Oh... Buck.

"Funny, I thought ponies had to be dead first for that. (*scoff*) And the "Doctors" here call me a quack... Oh well, I’m not doing anything right now, are you?"

"Huh?" you say in blank confusion,

"Great! To the surgery room! Wait, we're already here. In that case, eat this to dull the pain!"

Before you can protest, he shoves a lemon in your mouth and you pucker up so much you can’t yell for help as he arranges his stuff again. Once you unpucker, you start pleading,

"Please, you can’t do this!"

"Don’t worry, this won’t hurt a bit… until I jam this down your throat!"

Quacksalver holds up a sharp-looking tool with many points on it causing you to scream in terror.

"Oh wait, what am I thinking? You’re limbs are the things broken."

With that he tosses away the sharp-looking tool, yanks your casts off, and sees your true chitonous hide as you start sweating nervously,

Buck! The transformation potion must have worn off overnight! you think in panic.

"Oh… are pony legs supposed to look like that?"

He quickly looks at his own limbs before continuing,

"Huh… Oh well, time to make it normal."

He brings out a mallet causing you to panic,

"Whoa whoa whoa, What are you gonna do with that?"

"I am going to break this shell covering your legs and body and remove those obviously infected wings. Don’t worry, bones can't be broken more when they're already broken, although this condition looks familiar-"

"NO WAIT! THIS IS MY REAL BODY!!!" you protest in panic.

"Now calm down before you give yourself skin failur- What, really?"

He pulls down your face wrappings and recoils as he says,

"Oof, boy are you ugly!"

"Hey! I'm actually consider pretty handsome in my community " you say offender,

"Don’t worry, I can fix that too."

He goes back to the table and gets the pizza cutter before saying,

"I'll give you a face lift and make you look as beautiful as money can buy!"

"I DIDN'T PAY FOR THIS!!!"

"Oh you didn't? Oh, well until you pay, I can’t make you less ugly… but it is distracting..."

With that, he recovers your face, but just as he finishes you swear you hear a *ding* sound coming from somewhere as Dr. Quack says,

"Now I remember! Those are changeling legs! You're a changeling!"

Buck! Cover blown! Abandon shi-

"Oh what's with that horrified look? I work on all species and I never rat any of them out... for a price of course. Have to pay for food, supplies, and booze you know. Besides, I've had several changeling patients and most of them survived."

You stare at the crazy-no insane doctor as you think,

Why me... I have to pay for secrecy of my identity now! Great. Just bucking great- Wait, what did he mean by MOST?

The insane doctor then begins to rummage around the table for a tool and as he does he says,

"Nopony has ever died on my operating table. Sure, maybe a some Griffins, some goats, a few ponies, and a Minotaur but they fell off the table or ran off before dying so the point still stands!"
"You're much better than that client I had in Canterlot. He was all 'Hurry up you quack, I got busco- I mean time to kill!', 'That's not supposed to go there!', and 'What the buck are you doing with that sledgehammer!'. Coincidentally, that was the same week the 'Canterlot Buscolt Murders' stopped..."

"Don't worry bug, nopony has ever died on my operating table. Sure, maybe some Griffins, some goats, and a Minotaur, but they fell off the table or ran off before dying so the point still stands! You know, you're much better than that client I had in Canterlot. He was all 'Hurry up you quack, I got busco- I mean time to kill!', 'That's not supposed to go there!' 'What the buck are you doing with that sledgehammer!'. Whine, whine, whine. Coincidentally, that was the same week the 'Canterlot Buscolt Murders' stopped..."

You look at the insane doctor in terror at what he said, but before you can say anything he shouts out,

"AHA! Found it!"

He turns around and you see that he is holding... a needle? He walks over to you and says,

"I will now perform what is known as a "standard look see" inside your body."

As he begins to walk over to you, you can't help but ask,

"Uhhh, since this is against my will, I can't help but ask should I be awake for this?"

He looks at you for a bit before saying,

"Uhhhh... no, but that is what this is for!"

He points to the needle in his mouth before he says,

He gets a syringe full of a mysterious drug which he says,
"These drugs will make the operation seem like a beautiful dream",
and then knocks you out with a punch before injecting himself with the drugs, stumbling over, grabbing a pizza cutter with his mouth, and is about to operate-
"What am I doing! I need to sterilize this first!"
With that he grabs a bottle of whisky before pouring it on the pizza cutter and taking a few gulps before continuing...

"These drugs will make the operation seem like a beautiful dream..."

This causes you to whimper nervously.

*POW*

...and the next thing you know it's lights out as Quacksalver just knocked you out with a punch. Dr. Quacksalver then injects himself with the syringe through the labcoat sleeve before stumbling around while slurring,

"Hi, everypony..."

He finally stumbles over to the table, grabs a pizza cutter with his mouth, and is about to operate when,

"What am I doing! I need to sterilize first!"
With that he grabs a bottle of whisky from his bag before pouring it on the pizza cutter and his hooves before taking a few gulps, and continuing...

POV Change! Nightshade

"Yawwwwwwn! Stupid gas ball."

Nightshade says as she get off Fluttershy's couch bed (her couch folds into a bed for guest) with strands of hair sticking out her and there (bed head). She glares hatefully at the sun and says

"Why must you always shine into my eyes every morning?"

With that she gives another adorable yawn. She see Fluttershy walk down the stairs and giving her a sweet smile. When she reaches the bottom of the stairs she says

"Good morning Nightshade. What would you like to do today?"

Nightshade puts on her 'thinking face' as she thinks

What should I do today?

DO SOMETHING AND QUICK!

Author's Note:

Nightshade chapter part 3!

Don't worry Hive Mind, Bugze WILL be fine due to his healing factor. So please don't turn this into a 'Save Bugze' arc. Besides, when this mini arc with Nightshade ends, you'll have a...nice surprise for when we get back to Bugze

Hello Everybody, DWC here.

Last chapters vs question winner is....

G3 MLP Vs. G4 MLP
I believe this video puts it best:

Was there ever any doubt? I think I'll only use the whole 'vs' format when I run out of questions. Also, thanks for the nightmares Minds Eye

Now today's question is...

What should the season oners be called?

We all know that not all of you in the Hive Mind started reading this fic back in Season 1. Some of you are new guys/girls in the Hive Mind, But, there are those like Mind's Eye, Fireheart 1945, and Erised the ink-moth for example, who have been around since season 1. Now they'll still in the Hive Mind (obviously) but it would be cool to have a nick-name for them. So...GO AND MAKE ONE HIVE MIND!

PreviousChapters Next