• Published 11th Jun 2014
  • 4,445 Views, 291 Comments

How I Learned to Stop Being Harmonious and Learned to Love Chaos - kudzuhaiku



Discord takes on an earth pony as his protege. Equestria changes. Gradually.

  • ...
22
 291
 4,445

Chapter 4

Discord found himself in the odd position of laying beside Charis in the grass and staring up at the clouds. It was something he usually only did with Fluttershy. It left him feeling oddly vulnerable and exposed. It was also relaxing. He didn’t have to hide what he was. He was free to be himself.

“Incoming,” Discord said as he felt a chaotic itch.

“What?” Charis asked.

“You will see,” Discord said with a grin as he sat up.

A moment later there was a loud pop and the fizzling crackle of energy. And then there was another draconequus standing in the meadow with them. It looked remarkably like Discord, but different.

It was also female.

“I felt such an odd disturbance… oh hello,” the female draconequus greeted.

“Charis, this is Eris. Eris, this is Charis. Eris, Charis is my student,” Discord said as he introduced the two to one another. He looked excited as he rose to his feet and then hovered mid air ignoring gravity.

“You took a student?” Eris asked. She peered at the earth pony. “This one is weird,” she observed.

“Tell me about it,” Discord replied. “How are things in your reality? How is dearest Butterscotch?”

“Oh, he is still trying to reform me. And we have so much fun,” Eris replied.

“Butterscotch?” Charis inquired. “Reform?” she questioned.

“Butterscotch is Fluttershy, only male. He is quite shy. And sweet,” Discord said, his words punctuated with a snigger.

“And he is reforming me through loving bondage. I am such a naughty draconequus. I have to act as though my power has been nullified and let him try to reform me. Butterscotch is a soft spoken and very shy pony in public… but in the bedroom he is all about putting me in my place like the naughty little vixen I am. I am getting better I am pleased to report. Prince Solarus believes that in time I will be a productive member of society once I finally learn my place,” Eris explained.

“He hurts you?” Charis asked in disbelief.

“Only as much as I allow him to. We have a safe word. And he apologises the entire time he is doing it, which is adorable. Prince Solarus believed that Butterscotch had the best chance of reforming me because Butterscotch fell madly in love with me after I thawed out from the block of ice I had been captured in for a few hundred years,” Eris responded.

“I… I don’t even know how to feel about that,” Charis replied.

“You will never know how to feel about anything if you don’t experience something different once in a while,” Eris stated. She giggled and exchanged a glance with Discord. “You go through life as you are, trapped inside of your own perspectives. Even if you keep an open mind, you are still forced to be what you are and that seldom ever changes for most sapient beings,” Eris explained.

“I don’t understand,” Charis replied.

“Do you want to?” Eris asked solemnly.

There was a twinge of fear that coursed through Charis’ nerves. She nodded slowly. “Yes, I do want to understand,” she said in small timid voice.

Eris snapped her fingers and Charis suddenly felt very different. She wasn’t sure what was different, but something about her felt different. “I still don’t understand,” Charis said in confusion. “I thought I was supposed to understand,” Charis continued.

Eris hovered over and ran her paw down Charis’ back, causing Charis to shudder and tremble with sudden sensation. Charis gasped as Eris grasped her tail, gave it a tug, and then pulled it aside. Charis gave a startled cry as Eris gave a tug on something else.

Only Charis didn’t have anything else back there to tug on.

There was something back there to tug on.

Charis took a deep breath, tried to speak, but couldn’t. Discord and Eris began to chortle and smile at one another. There was something dangling between her legs back there. Charis lowered her head between her front legs and peered towards her own back end. Her eyes confirmed her suspicions.

“Those are testicles,” Charis announced.

“Yes they are,” Eris agreed.

“I have testicles,” Charis stated matter of factly.

“Yes you do,” Eris commented.

“And now my student, you finally get to experience being something other than what you are. You have spent your whole life being female. You have nothing but a feminine perspective, which isn’t your fault really. But now, now you get a chance to gain a different perspective in the only way that truly matters,” Discord said with a wry smile.

“Am I stuck like this?” Charis asked.

“No, it will wear off in time,” Eris replied.

“So… if I become aroused I guess other parts of me will become visible,” Charis said as she continued to stare back at her own testicles.

“Very visible,” Eris replied.

“Fascinating,” Charis said. “I have never been with a colt but here I am with colt bits,” Charis stated. “What do I do with them?” Charis asked.

“Whatever you want, they are yours,” Eris replied. “Gain an understanding of how they work. What they feel like. What it means to have them.”

“Okay,” Charis said in an embarrassed tone of voice. She wiggled her backside and her new scrotum rocked back and forth like a bell. She reached back there with a forehoof and gently prodded them. “This only leaves me with more questions,” she said as she touched herself again.

“What sort of questions?” Discord asked. He seemed totally unconcerned about his student playing with her new anatomy.

“Well, I was born female and now I have male parts. Should I be attracted to males or females? What if I am attracted to colts even though I have colt bits? Does that make me gay? What if I tried to do something with a filly, and discovered I liked fillies, and then go back to my filly form… will I still like fillies? What does gender mean anyway? If I have changed certain bits of flesh on my body, does it change who and what I really am on the inside?” mused Charis in a long winded fashion.

Discord stroked his chin but seemed to lack a reply.

“I have changed on the outside, how am I supposed to feel on the inside? That hasn’t changed. Colts just confuse me and I don’t know how I feel about fillies. I am not sure I want anything to do with either. So… now that I have this, what do I do with it? All it it does is cause questions. Why would anypony change their gender… I know that some do… I just don’t understand why,” Charis said as she lifted her head and looked at Eris and Discord.

“When a sapient being changes their gender it is usually so their outside matches how they feel on the inside,” Eris answered patiently.

“Gender confusion is one of the many forms of chaos,” Discord said in an alluring low voice as he looked at Eris.

“I am still not sure I understand any of this,” Charis said in a mystified voice.

“Maybe it would be better to simply enjoy it for what it is, and then when you are older, look back upon it and reflect upon it with the wisdom that comes from age,” Eris suggested.

“I’d like to go for a walk around Ponyville to see how ponies might react to me but Ponyville is kind of burning right now,” Charis said regretfully. “So in your reality, the genders are all reversed. What is Solaris like? Is he like Celestia?” Charis inquired.

“Prince Solarus is a chauvinistic pig. Mares are property under his rule. He is sorta benevolent all things considered, there are far worse monarchs to be female under, but mares do not have much in the way of rights. I was frozen in a block of ice when I led a revolt. I commanded a group of angry mares that wanted equal rights and I was subdued by the Elements of Traditional Values,” Eris explained.

“That’s awful,” Charis muttered.

“Indeed,” Discord said. “The Elements of Traditional Values are really horrible things.”

“Prince Dusk Shine mastered the hidden element of Masculinity and things have been a little worse lately,” Eris said.

“This is horrible!” Charis snapped.

“I don’t know. Butterscotch isn’t so bad. He is so kind and sweet. He isn’t quite like the others. He works to redeem me, and I work to corrupt him. He wants so badly to please me. It isn’t his fault that he was born into a society that expects him to play very different role,” Eris said.

“It all seems so overwhelming,” Charis said.

“What does?” Discord asked.

“You get born into the world. You end up either male or female and everything that goes with that. And then society expects you to be a certain way so that your behaviour matches some bit of flesh that is part of your body. And if the way that you behave doesn’t match with the bits of flesh you were born with, all manner of problems arise. And I don’t understand any of it,” Charis replied. “I feel sorry for Butterscotch,” she stated.

“Butterscotch was born into a society that subjugates females. I’ve actually helped him to do what his society expects him to do. I have in my own way let him know that is okay for him to dominate me. And he feels more like a stallion for having done so. He loves me a great deal. And now, he has value and worth for fitting in with some great societal ideal that he feels the need to conform to. But I have also perverted his society’s ideals. We use a safe word. Our encounters are done more in play. They feel real enough to Butterscotch and together we perpetuate the illusion of my redemption. He loves me. He holds onto an ideal of love that is almost completely alien to the culture that he lives in,” Eris elucidated.

Charis heaved a sigh. “I don’t understand,” she said. “I want to though,” she added. “I don’t see how being born with one type of fleshy bit or another somehow gives you an inherent right to have authority over another different fleshy bit. I don’t see how being born with two balls somehow makes you any better or any worse than being born with no balls,” Charis stated.

Discord grinned lewdly. “It is all about having those balls slap up against the right bits. Having needs. Finding a means to relieve those itches takes effort. But if you can subjugate another and keep them willing to serve you and relieve those itches, it becomes so much easier,” he quipped.

“Otherwise it means having to work to build a relationship. With love and trust. That takes effort. For many, it is far easier to dominate and force another to simply serve your needs,” Eris continued, picking up where Discord left off. “Females do it too. We need it just as bad as males do. In different parts of the world or different parts of reality, you will find that the balance of power shifts from side to side.”

“So by changing my genitals I could move myself into power. Is that why some people alter their fleshy bits? They get tired of being on the losing side?” Charis asked.

“I suppose that some might, but there are some difficulties in the transition. Sapient beings are bound to find out that somebody is changing their gender. Biases erupt. You end up with a transitioned gender that gets no respect from either side and they become disenfranchised,” Eris replied.

“So even if you change your gender, sometimes you still can’t win. Can it really be that simple? A simple bit of chance… luck at being born with the right fleshy bits?” Charis muttered. “So I have two testicles and a penis now. What good will they do me? Ponies who know me will know I was born female. Other than my outsides, what has really been changed about me?” Charis asked.

“Honestly, not much at all, at least on the outside,” Discord replied. “But on the inside, you’ve become aware of a number of new concepts.”

“If anything I just feel more confused,” Charis admitted. “Perhaps that is the enlightenment I am seeking. I suppose something has gone right now that I am asking questions. Nothing seems simple anymore. And everything seems terribly unfair.”

“That is because it is,” Eris and Discord said together in unison.

Author's Note:

Gender chaos.

I finally got around to editing this and finishing it off. It's been sitting around for a while. I am starting to get my creative batteries charged again.

Lemme know if there are any sopyt.

Comments ( 58 )

Very, very philosophical, with mild hilarity woven into every metaphysical statement like chocolate in a pastry twist. I Love It!

The more one knows, the less one knows. That's the greatest Chaos :derpytongue2:

gee i'm sure that this chapter wasn't influenced by any news stories that happened recently...

“Prince Solarus is a chauvinistic pig. Mares are property under his rule. He is sorta benevolent all things considered, there are far worse monarchs to be female under, but mares do not have much in the way of rights. I was frozen in a block of ice when I led a revolt. I commanded a group of angry mares that wanted equal rights and I was subdued by the Elements of Traditional Values,” Eris explained.

I spent a full minute laughing hysterically, to the point of sounding a little like Discord myself. DAAAAAAAMN that's funny -- in a really dark way.

I thought gender was how you felt about your sexuality in cognitive terms and sex was your biological parts?

So it isn't so much changing gender as it is changing your sex, because even if you switch to being a female but your gender is of a male, than you will take interest in females even though you are, biologically, a female.

Complex problems, complex solutions, tons of opportunities for bias.

“Nothing seems simple anymore. And everything seems terribly unfair.”

*starts clapping very slowly*

Colour me impressed, Charis, colour me impressed.

4756165
Gender has little to nothing to do with sexuality. It's more about what you feel you should be on the inside not matching what is on the outside.
I never really understood it, and I guess it's impossible for anyone to fully understand unless they have experienced the feeling of wrongness that transgender individuals often speak of.

I'm one of the lucky ones who at least has some experience with what it's like. I currently have a transgender boyfriend (female to male). As I am male, this shows that transgender isn't purely about sexuality, at least for some. He wears male clothes with the exception of a sports bra to keep everything contained. He uses hygiene products marketed towards men, such as Axe deodorant. He doesn't shave anything on his body. He even has more underarm hair than I do.

The way it makes most sense to me is that transgender people do not feel that their personality fits the general gender roles that society imposes, but it seems that much of the sense of wrongness stems from the presence or lack of certain genitals, and not as much from the differentiation from society's gender roles. He's more manly than I am, And yet, he still feels uncomfortable just with the fact that he has lady bits.

I don't think it is something that can really be understood unless it is experienced. Personally, I don't feel that having different genitals would make me feel "wrong." To me, body parts are body parts. To me genitals are no more defining of who one is than hair color or foot size. I could have a nice rack and a vagina, dress in lady clothes, and bleed every month. I would still be the Signia we all know and are annoyed by.

But then again, I've never experienced that.

Just a few thoughts.

I have to say, this chapter was a bit... weird. Not sure what to think. I am interested to see what happens next though.

4756165 gender = male or female, not sexuality.

Interesting chapter... I don't know about better, but I do think male and females are different, at least humans.

I love how Charis attempts to puzzle through something she doesn't really understand, if nothing else she truly is a dedicated student. It might help her a bit if she thinks in terms of 'have' and 'have nots' when considering gender equality; some ponies are born with a lightning rod on their head, this changes the way society looks at them and what's expected of them, some ponies are born with feather dusters on their back, same deal. You can even think of it in terms of rich and poor, healthy and unhealthy, an accident of birth does much to determine your future place in life. You can always choose not to conform, but that opens you up to attack by those with narrow world views who can't, or won't, understand you.

If it seems like the world isn't fair that's because it isn't, if we truly wish for the world to be fair then that's something that each of us must do for ourselves.

*P.S. I'm glad to see that you're continuing this story.*

this... is a very chaotic and philosophical mess rolled up in chocolate, ham and mayonnaise, i am loving it so far :pinkiecrazy:

i shall be watching very closely

*dives into Celestia's toilet, rump getting stuck in the bowl*

“You get born into the world. You end up either male or female and everything that goes with that. And then society expects you to be a certain way so that your behaviour matches some bit of flesh that is part of your body. And if the way that you behave doesn’t match with the bits of flesh you were born with, all manner of problems arise. And I don’t understand any of it,”

This
Just... This
Exactly

Its because people are ignorant, and feel compelled to hold on to traditions, basically animal instinct which they can't see past

I admit I never really understood the importance of what gender you are. Although, as I got older I did notice that I started to appreciate certain bits more than others.

As I read this chapter and began to understand the insight, it seemed more and more autobiographical. Though I may be reading more into this than there is.

KBO.:twilightsmile:

“This one is is weird,” I think you might need to add ellipsis in between the is', but I'm no English expert so I could be totally wrong. Another good chapter!

Charis then sits on her rump to rub one out while Discord and Eris "play" with each other.

Hmm, it's like an onion. As you peal off the dead papery skin of the world we see that index are layers upon layers of stinky, pungent, flesh that only gets thicker stinker and more pungent the dealer you go.

I can understand Charis, she is close to the ultimate question what makes a person a person. What defines us.

I disagree that argument Traditionalism is wrong, anything broken down I to its base components can be shown as evil or wrong. The Key principle in a gender centric society is the protection of the weaker sex. In the case of a rule 63 equestra, females are rare. So much so that it endangers the population, to ensure the preservation of the species measures would have to be taken. Now on the surface this would seem wrong, things like guy females could be seen as a danger to society. As a result of this societal imbalance could be seen as oppressive to women, but it is the need to protect females that is the center of this society, and that fact must always be remembered.

4757249

I was wondering when somebody would point this out. A gender reversed Equestria would be a very desperate sort of place. The utter lack of females would cause all manner of societal panic.

4757262
I had a feeling you were going there =)

4757269

Oh, I never planned to say anything about the situation directly. I was just hoping that somebody would see the other side of the coin here.

4757276
Hehe I'm glad, because what good is chaos if everyone agrees on how horrible harmony is? Someone has to play devil's Advocate.

So it's the role of Eris to bring balance to the male centric equestria, the only problem is that direct opposition is hardly going to solve matters. Trading a male centric for a female centric society would only make things worse. I like the Butterscotch X Eris solution, but unless Dusk learns these principles and spreads the concept of trust and respect between sexes, true harmony can't be reached in equestria 63.

4757337

Sure it can.

As he learned in sociology class, harmony comes in different flavours. We can have consensus based harmony and we can have coercion based harmony.

You will notice they didn't have the Elements of Harmony over there, but the Elements of Traditional Values. Conservatism runs rampant. It has to. Finite breeding resources and all that. Females are given to the most deserving and those capable of the most control.

4757351
-edit-
After rethinking my position here I realize I'm being bias. Any conservative belief can become Tyrannical, just as extreme Order. As you say there are many flavors to harmony and balance can be achieved through many methods. I prefer to think Conservatism works best it everyone respects and trusts one another and without it we start to see a breakdown. But I concede that there are other paths to the Ideals

Hmm, yes but I guess what I mean is Conservatism without trust and respect for the weaker sex is close to the Tyrannical forms of Islam, where in order to protect the weaker sex you must have absolute power. The ones in power must respect their charges, and the ones under must trust those in power. The system can't work harmoniously otherwise. And while Harmony is not an ideal of this world it still a virtue.

Yay, new chapter! Thank you!

So I have two testicles and a penis now.

:pinkiesick:
Im out of here.

4758872 How is that making you nauseated? It's a simple fact resulting of what Eris did to her.

The point was to gain knowledge of a new perspective other than a female point of view.

Meh! MEH! LIKED I GUESS!

4759821 Lol. I am assuming as well that Tulips is nauseated because this Tulips is simply in this iteration of reality at least. It would be a bit boring to assume that each decision in reality must exist I would prefer to think it is more interesting to think it exists because it can; not that it must.

But there goes my personal views being challenged by a supposition; which is I suppose a good thing. I am rather confused most of the time anyway so maybe so maybe nearly everything is a supposition to me.:derpytongue2: Much less with an idea that some might think would dissolve my free will. But who really needs that? That would require planning I would think and judging from my lack of a mansion I think I am lacking in it.:rainbowlaugh:

Or to be more fair maybe that poster is just more comfortable without having their personal views challenged. A fair number of people are like that myself included. At least I think so. To be truthful I am sure I am just full of it.


4758709 How about this then ? Ahem. "CONFLICT IS FRIENDSHIP. HARMONY IS DESTRUCTION. CHAOS IS EQUILIBRIUM. LOGIC IS UNCERTAIN. Unless you're Tim Burton." (Not a huge fan but that is what popped into my head first to make it rhyme. I may be the next Kanye.):trollestia:

Oh. I almost forgot. Nice chapter Mr.Author. I was wondering if you would show up again.

Please, we must learn the other 5 Elements of Traditional Values!

Who was the guy that said something like "The only true knowledge is that you know nothing"? It was something like that.

Well this chapter sucked.........dick:pinkiecrazy:.

4762357
Or maybe I violated causality somehow? :pinkiegasp: Then the comment you sent is forever lost to the paradox of me answering first! Is that how it would work?

Or you could just be psychic:rainbowhuh:. In which case you should tell me your secrets...

Apologies in any case. I had assumed public comments were fair game to reply to. Especially since this would provide the discussion the author seemed to want.

Or I could just be a jerk.:trixieshiftright::twilightblush:

4764742 Do you even Element bro?

I don't even know how to describe why I like this so much.
Maybe is 'cause I feel the same curiosity than Charis.
Maybe 'cause it made me think.
Thanks for reminding me of why I love this fandom, and this site.
:twilightsmile:

It's funny. I made the Charis/Eris phonetic connection only a sentence or two before the latter appeared. I feel both dim and prescient.

Don't start race riots, or you'll never get to find out how the townsfolk will react to your sudden gender change. I think that's a lesson we can all embrace.

I do like how you didn't just go for the perfect mirror approach, but actually made the other worldline different in ways other than gender chromosomes. Assuming, of course, Eris can be trusted, which seems like a very silly assumption.

In all, a fantastic assessment of gender inequality from as close to an objective source as one could ask for. Thank you for it, kudzu. :twilightsmile:

(Now to go catch up on The Chase. How did thirty thousand words happen so suddenly? :derpyderp2:)

4762294 When you said that made me think of a quote I read once.

We don't know a millionth of one percent about anything.

4758872 Wow, I hope we learn more about Eris! Great story!

Genius is insanity that works, and you have it in spades. Very thoughtful and intelligently culminated. Eager to read more of this in the possible future.:moustache:

4766519

I do like how you didn't just go for the perfect mirror approach, but actually made the other worldline different in ways other than gender chromosomes. Assuming, of course, Eris can be trusted, which seems like a very silly assumption.

I really approve of what eris is doing with Butterscotch. To me that is hilarious.

I have in my own way let him know that is okay for him to dominate me. And he feels more like a stallion for having done so. He loves me a great deal. And now, he has value and worth for fitting in with some great societal ideal that he feels the need to conform to.

Well with all of the power he's given her (safe words, etc. Which also means he doesn't have that power anymore),
it'd be pretty easy to make the argument that she has more power since she has both the power to start the domination,
and end the domination on nothing more than a whim.
Not to even mention her ownership of his feeling of self-worth and value. Again, she could take that away on a whim.

Butterscotch is a terrible dom. :rainbowlaugh:

We know almost nothing and yet we have the capacity to understand everything.Quite a contradiction there.

PLEASE make more of this? I know you're doing The Chase, but this story intrigues me.

4959445

This is still happening. I have to be in a certain mindset to write this one though. :pinkiecrazy:

4959475 ... What mindset? I assume it's not as simple as doing lots of drugs, or drinking lots of alcohol? Or murdering people to see how others react?

I hope update will come soon...

Also, catch some chaos for Discord and his faithful student:

Login or register to comment