• Published 5th Jun 2014
  • 1,778 Views, 129 Comments

I Shall Make You Great and Powerful - kudzuhaiku



Trixie finally encounters her first real fan, and now she cannot get her to go away. What is a hard working showmare to do?

  • ...
20
 129
 1,778

Chapter 4

“Is it gone?” Discord asked, sticking his head into the library door and peering around. “Princess Celestia wanted me to talk to you,” the draconequus muttered.

“They’re both gone. Now tell me, what is going on and why are you acting so weird?” Twilight Sparkle demanded. She stood and glared at the draconequus, one hoof tapping on the floor in annoyance.

“That thing isn’t a foal,” Discord hissed.

“What?” Twilight cried in disbelief.

“That was a… a… a thing that comes around every few centuries. It latches on to a being most deserving. And then it delivers the means to destroy themselves,” Discord explained. “Trixie must have been a very naughty pony for a spirit of disharmony to latch on to her and punish her for her misdeeds.”

Twilight’s backside fell to the floor and she let out a cry when her dock slammed into the floorboards.

“They destroy everything around them… they are the embodiment of bad luck and misfortune. Everything that can go wrong will go wrong. As Trixie continues to be boastful, as she continues to be Trixie, that thing will only get stronger and stronger until one day, it destroys Trixie and everything around her,” Discord explained.

“Can it be stopped?” Twilight queried.

“Well, in theory. It would mean a total reformation of Trixie. Nothing for that thing to feed off of. And then I don’t know what might happen. Maybe it goes and latches on to the next being most deserving,” Discord replied. “One thing I do know, you can’t tell Trixie about this. If she finds out, the gig is up and that thing claims her.”

“So she can’t be warned,” Twilight said.

“No, she can’t” Discord responded. “And that thing will try to manipulate her and bring out the worst in her,” he warned.

“So how do we save her?” Twilight asked, looking very thoughtful and determined, a look that Discord knew well.

“The magic of friendship?” Discord replied, his tone quizzical and his words a question.

“What happens if we save Trixie? What of Hijinx?” Twilight asked.

“I don’t know for certain,” Discord said. “It is a spirit of disharmony. It might simply vanish. It may go off to find the next victim so its purpose can be fulfilled. I don’t know what will happen. But right now, it is in its weakest stage. Later on, if it feeds, its powers will rival my own until the being it latches on to is finally destroyed in some horrible act of misfortune. Whole cities have been destroyed because of these things. Whole empires.

“So, to save Trixie and possibly Equestria, I need to be Trixie’s friend, bring out the best in her while Hijinx manipulates her into doing bad things, encourage Trixie to be a better pony, and maybe even try to show some friendship to Hijinx as well, because I can’t see that hurting my chances,” Twilight summarised.

“Trixie is a little misguided, but I cannot believe the whole cosmos has conspired against her in such a way, selecting her for this kind of punishment,” Discord quipped.

“Can you stop this?” Twilight asked, peering up at Discord.

“Chaos versus chaos?” Discord questioned. “What happens when a mudslide and a raging flood collide with one another?” he asked.

“Point taken,” Twilight conceded.

Discord conjured up a glass of chocolate milk and offered it to Twilight, who accepted it gratefully. Discord summoned up his own and the pair sat in silence, sipping chocolate milk, occasionally looking at one another.

“Are we friends?” Discord asked suddenly, breaking the silence.

“Well, yeah,” Twilight responded.

“So you would try to save me from a horrible fate?” Discord asked.

“Haven’t I already?” Twilight returned.

“Indeed. You have,” Discord acknowledged.

The pair fell silent again, the chocolate milk in their glasses mysteriously not emptying no matter how much they drank. He squirmed and fidgeted, turning and twisting about, until he literally tied himself into a knot.

“Do you love Trixie?” Discord blurted, breaking the silence.

“What? Me? No! Maybe. It it just a crush… its complicated,” Twilight answered, her face turning a slightly darker shade of purple.

“How is it complicated?” Discord asked gently.

“I am a princess, and ponies expect all of these things from me, and I have to live up to a certain public image… and if I became too involved with Trixie, things could and would be blown out of proportion. Trixie would get hurt, I would get hurt, and all kinds of awful things would happen,” Twilight replied.

“Why?” Discord asked.

“Because, princesses are just not supposed to get involved in hot steamy relationships with showmares… especially showmares like Trixie,” responded Twilight as she squirmed uncomfortably.

“Explain,” Discord requested. “If you please.”

“She has certain behaviours that the press would seize upon and it hurt the public image of the crown,” Twilight explained.

“So the problem is, Trixie behaves like Trixie,” Discord summarised.

“Well, no. Yes. Perhaps. I don’t know?” Twilight answered.

“You know, Fluttershy was concerned about being seen with me… so she went to work on me, gently guiding me along, until I was the sort of draconequus that she felt comfortable being seen with. She likes me a great deal, but she was concerned about some of the attention I draw. So now, I keep it low key when I am around her,” Discord stated. “Fluttershy really likes me for whom I am though, so in private, I am free to be myself. I had to take some time to learn what was appropriate and when.”

“So you changed for Fluttershy?” Twilight asked.

“Well, to be fair, Fluttershy has changed a great deal for me,” Discord confided as he raised an eyebrow.

“But Fluttershy hasn’t changed at all,” Twilight retorted.

“Sure she has,” Discord insisted.

“How so?” Twilight asked.

“Do you really want to know?” Discord queried.

“I think I do,” said Twilight, her face full of doubt.

“Well, since you insist, she longer demands that the lights be turned off when we bump uglies,” Discord answered.

“EEEEW!”

“You asked!”

“MY BRAIN!”

“Well, love is all about give and take. Just give Trixie a nudge to make her behave a little. I mean, you need to do that anyway because of Hijinx, so here is your chance. What harm could it do?” Discord asked.

“I suppose you are right,” Twilight asked. “Really… seriously, you and Fluttershy?”

Discord nodded.

“Well, I really feel like a dork. Even Fluttershy-”

“You mean you’ve never-”

“NO!”

The silence returned, chock full of awkwardness.

“I won’t tell a soul,” Discord promised.

“Thank you,” Twilight said in a high pitched voice full of tension.

“Where is Spike?” Discord asked.

“Off helping Rarity burn the midnight oil,” Twilight replied.

Discord grinned.

“I envy Spike sometimes,” Twilight admitted.

“How so?” Discord asked.

“He is young, innocent, and free from complications. He gets to enjoy his crush on Rarity and live in the moment. He’s free to enjoy it for what it is, and doesn’t have to worry about what it might be, or how it might affect everypony around him. He gets to live and laugh and-”

“Spike is not a princess,” Discord interrupted.

“Yeah,” Twilight agreed. She stared down into her glass of chocolate milk as though the answers of life might be hiding down in the brown depths and heaved a sigh of contemplation.

“I envy Rarity in this situation,” Discord announced.

“Rarity?” Twilight asked. “How so?”

“Free labour,” Discord replied with seeming utter seriousness.

Twilight chortled and nearly shot chocolate milk out of her nose.

“Really, Rarity bats her eyelashes, gives a pouty look, and she gets free labour! If I indulge in level of manipulation I get lectured by Celestia for being a cad,” Discord lamented. “I mean, when Rarity bats her eyelashes, she can summon an army of stallions, colts, and one little dragon to do her bidding. I wish I had her power.”

Discord turned suddenly on Twilight, his face done up in entirely too much makeup, batting his absurdly long eyelashes, showing off his garish green mascara, and he caused Twilight to shriek in startled surprise.

“Think I could get Spike to help me?” Discord asked in deadpan.

Twilight sniggered and then fell apart completely, collapsing upon the floor and guffawing, which caused the draconequus to sniff in a mock-disturbed manner.

“You are jealous of my great beauty,” Discord huffed, not one trace of a laugh in his voice.

Twilight continued to roll on the floor, clutching her sides, and kicking her hind legs as she laughed riotously. She snorted in between her brays of laughter, and finally, Discord raised an eyebrow at her.

“It is nice to finally see you let go and be a pony,” Discord observed, his makeup now gone. “I suppose certain things are a lot funnier when you can trust somepony.”

Twilight wiped her eyes and nodded.

“I suppose I need to write that down in my own friendship diary,” Discord quipped. “Today, I learned that sometimes, if you want to get a friend to laugh, they have to trust you first so they can be open and honest in their reactions.”

“That is actually really profound Discord. I think I’ll write that down as well,” Twilight replied.

“Celestia will be so proud,” Discord gushed.

Author's Note:

A friendship lesson!

More is coming. This is a short (er) story,

Now, Twilight has to find a way to save Trixie from herself. She has to make Trixie Great and Powerful.

Comments ( 20 )

When Discord mentioned him and Fluttershy mating I almost lost my shit, it was that funny. The whole conversation between him and Twilight was both informative and hilarious.

TwilightXTrixie begins!
Oops, I mean Twixie, or as I like to call it:
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f9/Twix-Wrapper-Small.jpg
Plus the -ie at the end. :twilightsmile:

Judging from that dislike, I guess someone hates Twixie

“Well, since you insist, she longer demands that the lights be turned off when we bump uglies,” Discord answered.

Oh Discord, thank you being so blunt.

Hah ha! This story still makes me laugh. Good job.

Hmm, Twilight and Discord is another pairing that works well and produces good dialogue. Maybe because she's smart enough to comprehend the metaphysics of his existence, or something.

And once again we find that the answer to the big problem is 'seduce Trixie'. When you think about it, that would probably have solved their problems the previous times they met, too. Just sayin'.

Well, that certainly explains the broken mirror. A shame Discord can't just eat Jinx, but that would make things far too simple. In any case, I'm eagerly looking forward to the battle for Trixie's fate.

Well, we're fucked. Imma go find a fallout shelter.

The number of pluses equals my love for this fic.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
*gasp*
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Oh screw this,
+ X 10 ^ 99999999.
(That plus times 10 to the power if you didn't catch that ;) )

I won't lie....

That's very good, you have a great Discord, a good characterization as well as an interesting plot and mostly a good Discord


Did I mention Discord?

Fun story, I hope you continue.:trixieshiftright::twilightsmile:

4568823 You know I'm not sure if you mentioned discord yet. You should mention discord again just to be sure

Funny and touching story. :pinkiesmile:

I hope to see more. But with the success of you other stories, namely Chase, it may take a while, so I shall wait patiently. :pinkiehappy:

I like this. It's really fun to read and I loved Discords reaction to Jinx So I hope to see some more of this.

I'll see you at the next chapter.

Nothing ever quite goes as planned, especially around Hijinx, who might just be an even worse magician than Trixie

That's a weird thing to say. I've never seen any evidence Trixie is a bad magician, just considerably less powerful and talented than Twilight Sparkle...which is a trait shared by 100% of other living unicorns.

Given that her traveling show is successful enough to live off of in a world with unicorns in every town and she was both able to beat Rainbow Dash with weather magic and knew exactly what kind of spells to use to impress Twilight the most when she got the amulet, something an unstudied unicorn like Rarity didn't, Trixie is probably at least above average at magic, maybe even good. Just "good" is far, far short when comparing oneself to Princess Celestia's student, the element of Magic, defeater of evil gods, Twilight Sparkle. And similarly less than what she likes to portray herself as.

Great chemistry between Twilight and Discord!

Really sorry to see this one lying fallow - this is a Discord I want more of!

Login or register to comment