• Published 13th Feb 2014
  • 3,223 Views, 110 Comments

Six Standard Deviations from the Mean - ArtichokeLust



Dom was not the first human in Equestria. Some unsavory characters made it there before him roughly 2000 years ago. Now, if he wants to stay alive, he has to convince everypony that humans are not the evil creatures from their history books.

  • ...
37
 110
 3,223

Epilogue

Lyra, BonBon, Data, Rosetta, Lance, Clair and Dom arrived at the port of Avaira.

"Halt!" A pair of griffin guards barred their guns in an X formation. "Please state your business." The guards were confused when they saw the two humans on-board along with Lyra, but all they were asking for was a reason for travel.

Lyra walked up as if she had done this a thousand times before, "I bring news from Equestria. News with great importance to humans."

The guards widened their eyes and unbarred their weapons. "You may pass," they knelt.

...

Everyone except Lyra stared in wonder at the technological metropolis that was Avaira. It was like stepping out of the dark ages and into the 21st century...

No, the city had to be even more advanced than most modern cities on Earth. It was like research and technology were the highest priority here.


A black and white griffin sat down in a majestic hall made of plastic and wood. Lyra sat across from him.

"Hello old friend," the griffin smiled warmly, "I haven't seen you in forever," he leaned forward, "what brings you back to Avaira."

"Well, old friend," Lyra grinned, "Let's just say I no longer have as many reasons to be jealous of you griffins."

the griffin leaned back, "Why is that?" He walked over and pulled a pen and paper from his desk. He could feel a story coming on...

"Well..." Lyra began...


Dom and Clair walked through a massive steel chamber-lock door. On the other side, they saw humans and griffons working together on projects and experiments ranging from robotics, to chemistry, to some things they didn't even know how to classify.

"Hello," a nicely dressed old man walked up to the pair, "So you're the duo from Equestria I heard so much about..." He smiled.

"So you want to be my apprentices?" Clair and Dom nodded. The man turned around and motioned for them to follow, "Then I'll show you the door project you'll be helping with."


Luna addressed the pony another pony on tax laws...

She wished ponies would trust Celestia more. Luna didn't really feel she was suited for desk work, but after news of how Celestia's horn got broken came out, her ponies gradually lost faith in her. Naturally, the ponies turned to Luna instead.

At first she relished the attention, but... The formalities had increased in stiffness from a thousand years ago from tough food to rock. It was no wonder Celestia was so rigid all the time...

She would have to do something about that... When enough time passed that ponies forgave her sister, she would be welcomed back into a world where fun and politics could be mentioned in the same sentence without a hint of sarcasm!

And the humans... The humans were to be as trusted as ponies, no matter how hard she had to convince some of the older guards of that...

...The humans sometimes even offered to help Celestia after they heard her story...

Author's Note:

I got the idea for traveling to Avaira from
Frake's commentt.

Comments ( 33 )

4065152 oh and NEED CRUCIAL PLOT STUFF WHAT HAPPENED NEEEEEEEEEEEEEXT:raritydespair::raritydespair::raritydespair::raritydespair::raritydespair::raritydespair:

4065170

Neato!

4065177

Uh, well, Celestia lost her horn and some respect, so Luna gained a lot more power. The news of what happened spread throughout Avaira, and Dom and Clair stayed in Avaira as apprentices for a while.

How Avaira responded to the news would be a completely different story though...

4065191 THOUGH MUST GET TO WORK ON SAID STORY

Umm, all that information in your comment should have been in the epilogue. There is a lot left unresolved by this short epilogue. I liked the story but did the main characters just abandon the plan to go home?

ha, neat.:raritywink:

4065250

Hmm, I think I may add few things to the epilogue.

They'd probably be researching on how to get back now.

4065222
4065246

Well, technically there were no laws against what she did at the time, so I don't think she can be tried. On top of that, there would still be ponies that would be on her side, and giving her too much punishment would make her a martyr...

I think Luna might even have been against letting her sister rule for a while, but I don't think she would been able to do anything like banish her. And she'd be the one in charge, since she technically was already, so any charges would ultimately be left to her.

4065246

Well, Cheerilee and Rarity were hurt by Twilight's actions, and Pinkie kind of told everyone that going against Dom and Clair would be like leaving them to die...


4065265
4065321

:twilightsmile:

A rather quick ending, but a nice story all together. :pinkiesmile:

4065796

Thanks. :twilightsmile:

I could have written a longer prologue that was closer to the ending, but it wasn't really in me at the time. The main arc pretty much ended, and I'd really be starting a whole new story.

I think I want to take a break and work on other things that need my attention before I start any new stories...

so I have a question. What kind of tech are we talking about here? Are we talking futuristic as in synthetic muscle and wireless energy? cuz if so he could go full techmarine and create mechadendrite to help on projects. or if its futuristic as in wetware and non newtonian materials (and practical application) because that could mean he could theoretically fabricate subsidiary/adaptive load sharing systems to increase his natural mental prossessing speed(letting him think of everything theoretically) and non newtonian materials could assist him in fabricating an overunity generator(thus supplying him with infinite energy). Or (and this is crazy as hell) have these humans gone into symbiotic nano technology, black technology, and pataphysical construction. Because if so then Dom could create a pocket dimension inside a penny. From there though I got nothing on what he's gonna do (beside have his brain juices explode from contemplating construction of imaginary and metaphysical shapes).
also will the humans have thaumaturgical research projects or use technomagery?

4071646

derpicdn.net/img/2014/1/31/539726/medium.png

Well, I can tell you that dimensional technology is at the very least highly experimental cutting edge stuff in Equus. After all, the humans creating the technology were a select few from earth; the tech isn't really that far ahead, just better utilized.

They do have nanotechnology, since we already have nanotechnology, but it's not symbiotic yet. However, background applications like protein folding would come automatically installed in most operating systems, so they're probably further along in some aspects of science where they can just brute force an AI to do it.

And Clair and Dom know at least one idea that the humans in Avaira haven't found yet.

4071558

derpicdn.net/img/view/2012/6/26/21742__safe_princess+luna_animated_s1+luna_dancing_dance_artist-colon-warpout.gif

Loved it! I just really felt that there needs more Dom. Especially him being compassionate besides for Claire. It seemed that at first it revolved around Dom but then Claire was added and he faded into the background. Other than this, great story! :heart:

4071683
good... good...
still wanna see mechadendrite Dom though i'm having doubts on that happening. Too much fuckawsome for one reality I suppose.

4072712

derpicdn.net/img/2014/2/22/559435/large.jpg

Well, Dom's kind of an introvert, but I think I know what you mean. Perhaps I should have added more explanation for why Dom stayed out of things for a while...

And thanks. :twilightsmile:

4073193

derpicdn.net/img/2013/9/3/418176/medium.jpg

Well, if that's what you're talking about, we already have neural interface machinery. But the energy required for something like the whole suit that would be necessary to carry those massive or many appendages, or even to power smaller appendages, would suck most batteries dry too quickly.

Why, if you wanted to take that machine somewhere where there might be no charging ports for a while, or if you wanted to charge it quickly, you'd have to make a new engine that ate almost everything, like animals do...

Hmm...

4073837 a lemen russ engine can run off of blood spit and corpses. I'm pretty sure future technology can create an engine that creates usable energy from biological materials.

4074870

derpicdn.net/img/2013/6/8/342802/large.png

I'm pretty sure Lemon Russ engines only exist in that Warhammer video game that I haven't played. There are other engines--like the T-72 and T-80 tank engines--that can take many types of fuel, but they're still limited. I also remember a chemical engine that mimicked the process of digestion in animals, but that was either too large, too slow, or too costly to put in most vehicles.

However, I might be writing a patent for a relatively small engine that readjusts itself to its fuel source sometime soon. It's based off of the Otto engine equations, so it may not even be future technology depending on how you define future technology... The hard part is that it has to be self cleaning... Time to get out my chemistry textbook...

I don't know what I'll include in my stories though... I'm impartial to both including or excluding crazy tech, so I guess it just depends on how things go and what people want...

4075131 also I believe vortex technology allows for wireless transfer of power, negating the need of power cells so long as he is in range, meaning mechadendrite could be practical. Hell, tesla proved that the earth itself could be used as a conductor. If a bunch of future based tech heads can't do something with that I got no hope for the future.

4075401

derpicdn.net/img/2013/8/26/411400/large.jpeg

Tesla's version of wireless energy utilized patented improvements in his tesla coil to create standing waves in the earth. However, he assumed that the waves passed through the entire earth before coming back, and estimated that they traveled at approximately 400,000 km/s, or roughly twice the speed of light. (That was a really large assumption, but I only caught it after he mentioned the calculated speed.)

However, using the earth as a medium for a standing wave is sound in theory, and quite practical if you're united as a planet... or at least if you don't think any freeloaders can tap into the power... or that, if they do try to tap in without the secret instructions, they'll probably get blasted from the high amount of energy, or get too little energy to do anything with.

Also, thanks. I just thought up some good ways of powering ground and air swarm robotics.

4075801 no probs bro. Need any other ideas thrown at you just ask, I'm sure you'll get a million of them.
OH. big ass 3d printer. It can print up hundreds of swarm bots in a single batch.

4075812

derpicdn.net/img/2013/8/20/405404/large.jpeg

Thanks! :twilightsmile:

I used to think the high temperatures required for melting metals would stop 3D printers from ever printing machines instead of just plastics, but then I remembered induction/levitation melting. I could melt most metals, create molds of that cement stuff or graphite with the 3D printer and cut them so that the insides of the segments hold only convex empty spaces, then lower the molds into the liquid metal and press them together. (If using graphite, this can be done using magnetic saddle points, or microwaves can be used as light tweezers to hold whatever material in place, or a single arm can be used to place the pieces in one by one.)

4075893
think a little more direct good sir. metals can be printed in specific tempers, hardnesses and even colors. A good example of this is printed guns. mixing that with the rapid prototyping of 3d printing, it could be possible to print complete robots so long as it printed the correct metals and circuits.

4075967

Hmm...

derpicdn.net/img/view/2013/9/2/417101__safe_solo_applejack_animated_suited+for+success_nah.gif

Nah... I have a better idea:

I'll just print a foam or plastic version of the model and simultaneously fill the chamber with packed graphite sand until I almost cover up part of the foam or plastic, then I'll dump liquid metal on top of it and have the melted foam or plastic stuff rise above the metal to be collected. Then I should be able to melt and form things like tungsten! And do it quickly!

Also, if I need the metal to not react with the oxygen in the air, nitrogen gas isn't that expensive

4076023 whatever floats yer boat bro. Watch out though, liquid metal molds can fail if they are in a cold surrounding area, the mold itself has to be pretty high in temp, I'd say maybe 150 F. A cold mold will solidify the liquid metal before it fills out the mold thus junking the whole thing, this is especially bad if the mold itself is meant for a dozen or more parts.

4076178

Okay. Thanks for the tip! :twilightsmile:

Is it weird that I was drawn to the story at first solely because of the Statistics reference? :ajbemused:

4298500

I don't know about dubious; it was a law written by Celestia, humans would be known as worst than pests, and Twilight loves and trusts her mentor. Though if you think I should have given some more propaganda background that Twilight would have read in her history books before starting the story, then I might be able to agree, but I'd prefer it if you pointed out where the story was lacking. (Also, what about Rarity, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash attacking on sight? Did you really think I provided enough justification for them? Because that's the main problem I remember.)

Still, I didn't give any hints that Twilight would be against humans more than others in the description, so if you were pulled into a story you didn't like, perhaps you could suggest something to add to the description.

4373041

Well, that's what happens when I type fast at 3:00 AM and have no editors or pre-readers.

I don't think there should be very many errors, it was probably just bad luck to have that in the first sentence. But don't bother pointing any more errors out to me. This story doesn't really mean much to me now.

Actually, don't even bother reading this story. There are some good parts of it, but the only stories of mine I consider remotely good are the my top three. And I wouldn't buy any of those at a book store, except maybe Maud's River if it was in a collection of short stories.

6725413 At first, when I got a notification in my mail inbox, I was like "huh, the story name looks kinda promising, but I can't remember it. I wonder why."

Then I checked your comment, replying to author and I arguing about something. I still don't remember anything about this story, but now I continue not wanting to read it anymore.

I also noticed that even though I commented after reading a couple of chapters, the story doesn't have any chapters marked as read. Either it went through a rewrite, or I was so disappointed that I decided to manually un-check them. Tell me, have this story improved any?

why the hell didn't the moon put these regeneration balls in all the ponies

Login or register to comment