• Published 27th Dec 2013
  • 3,246 Views, 301 Comments

A Ray of Dusk - AlphatheGriffin17



The changelings are gone, Canterlot is safe and the fighting is finished. Little do Dusk and his friends know that the battle is far from over and the war is just beginning.

  • ...
11
 301
 3,246

Prelude to an End

It was rare that Celestia experienced pure enjoyment these days. The coronation and the party the day before had been one such occasion. Twilight and her friends were usually the source of it, before delving back into the world of managing Equestria.

But she knew the subject of today would be especially challenging. Sombra had sent an urgent request for a meeting. Given the nature of his work, she answered it at once. Luna would be in attendance too.

They walked in silence, until they arrived at his quarters. It was a modest affair provided for guests with all of the requirements. A well-stocked library had been provided, along with a work desk that was littered with scrap parchment and notes. The former king stood waiting for them. The room, like many others in the palace, enchanted to prevent noise escaping it. Necessary given the nature of their discussion.

“I’ll get straight to the point,” he said brusquely. “How long have you been aware of them?”

Celestia raised an eyebrow. “You may want to be more specific, Sombra. I’m afraid I don’t fully understand.”

“I will.” He gestured to the tablet that had taken up much of his time. “I have checked many times to be certain. It isn’t a mistranslation, nor have I misread it. The inscriptions make reference to multiple Beasts. Yet I am only aware of Wrath. Did you know of others?”

Celestia could have lied or at least redirected the question. But not in this matter. She had a feeling this would come to light, with what Sombra was doing. Even then, with what she suspected about Soul, it was only a matter of time.

“I did,” she said.

“Of course.” He shook his head. “A thousand years after my banishment and you still keep secrets.”

“A necessary part of leadership at times,” she returned.

“And you, Luna?” He looked almost hurt to ask. “Did you know?”

Luna shifted on the spot. When her younger sister had confronted Wrath inside Ray’s mind, Celestia felt it best to tell her the full truth, if only to stop herself being exposed unnecessarily to discover it. She had sworn Luna to secrecy on the matter, not even to tell Dusk unless he, or any of the others, happened to ask. They had their own hooves full with Ray without having to worry about concerns outside their purview.

Sombra sensed her hesitation and made his own conclusion.

“So even by my stars and moon, I’m still not fully trusted,” he muttered.

“Trust is not the issue, aside from my sister’s confidence in me.” Shame turned to defiance on Luna’s face. “I have been without you for a long time, my king. Almost every hour you spend here is consumed by translating the tablet. It is your penance and it is important, I realise this. But what little time we have… that is ours. I… I didn’t want it to be tarnished, any more than it already has. But… I am still sorry I didn’t tell you.”

“It doesn’t surprise me you’d be asked to keep it to yourself.” He briefly glared at Celestia, then softened his gaze to Luna. “I understand, Luna. Our time together means a great deal to me as well. I know I have a great deal of work to do for my past mistakes, but I am on your side and I’m capable of shouldering your burdens. I swear it.”

“And I won’t forget it,” she said at once. “I’m sorry, Sombra.”

“It’s already forgotten. I know now, that’s what matters.” They nuzzled each other and Sombra looked at them both. “Can I assume that our current guest is a Host herself?”

Celestia nodded. “She houses the Beast known as Lust, though her care was left largely to her mother so I can’t speak for how she conducted it.”

“How many others are there?”

“Seven in total. Three are housed in ponies, one for each of the sects and are monitored. The other four are non-ponies and whilst I am appraised of them, they are left largely to the respective rulers of their people.”

“Then that brings us to our next point,” said Sombra. “It’s clear Fallen knows of them. I don’t know what his intentions are, but they must be secured at once.”

Celestia frowned. “That may prove difficult. While we can locate and move the pony hosts, though I’m confident that Ray is secure as can be hoped for, the others are of peoples who are not wholly receptive to ponies. The changelings as an example.”

“Then at least dispatch envoys,” said Luna. “They should be made aware of the urgency of the situation. Hopefully, they will work with us.”

“It is to be hoped.”

“What of Twilight and her friends?” asked Sombra. “They have proved themselves capable many times over and Twilight is of royalty now.”

“But they have already been through so much hardship,” said Luna. “Not to mention young Twilight has only recently ascended and has much on her mind, including a wedding to begin planning.”

“I agree on both fronts, Luna. However, the reality may not prove amenable to niceties.” Celestia considered a moment. “Give them a few days grace. They deserve to enjoy their recent victory. Then I shall call Twilight here and we will tell her.”

“For their sake,” said Sombra, “I hope it isn’t too late.”

“As do I, Sombra,” said Celestia quietly. “As do I…”


Ligne Grace liked to think he was pretty unshakable. Given his current lease on life, most feeling was muted for him anyway. It had also taken them a little longer to make sure they weren’t followed back to their base and he felt confident about facing Fallen when they returned.

But even he was somewhat unnerved, with Fallen holding him in place whilst suspending him over a very pointy formation of Crystal. One that was moving steadily closer towards a vital part of himself.

“Once again, Samore escaped,” Fallen hissed. “I entrusted thee with the task of retrieving her and thou hast failed. This is most… vexing.”

“Understandably so.” Grace did his best to keep his voice even. “I did say I was sorry and I wasn’t alone, in case you forgot.”

Osteo, who was watching the display, narrowed his eyes. Grace shrugged back at him, then tensed as the Crystal got a little bit closer.

“When it comes to choosing who was most responsible for this shortcoming, I am more inclined towards thee.” Fallen walked up the crystal, to look him in the eye. “Not only that, but mine enemies now possess her and will be likely to determine our intentions. This is a costly mistake, Grace.”

“I certainly realise that. H-However,” he said quickly, the point pressing against his chest, “I would like to note that I am still needed for the main event of your plan! I’m the only one who can control my creations in the way that I can.”

Those sightless helmet holes regarded him. He tried to squint and see a hint of the pony inside, but only the void looked back.

The aura suspending him cut off and he dropped unceremoniously to the ground. Fallen lowered the crystal cluster to follow suit, walking back to his chair.

“Thou art correct. However, recent events have shown that thy creations are in need of improvement. Doctor?” He glanced at Tube over his shoulder. “See to it.”

“But Fallen you can’t!” Grace scrambled back to his hooves. “They’re just as they were when I made them! Years of work and care to get them just so! Y-You can’t him graft his ugly work onto my beautiful-!”

Something zipped past Grace’s face. One of his puppets. The young foal. The one he’d given new life when everypony else left him for dead. A cry built in his throat, which he managed to keep inside even when Fallen’s magic pressure reduced it to splinters.

He could have sworn he heard it scream.

“Do not presume to tell me what I can and cannot do. Consider thyself fortunate, Grace. Can thou manage it, Tube?” he asked.

“The retrofitting of my magic-tech should be relatively simple, given their crude make,” he said. Grace could see him smirking and felt an echo of anger. “I should be able to vastly improve their performance and durability in the field. Give me a few days and it will be done.”

“Work quickly. We are fortunate, in some respect, that her warding was awoken during the altercation. But it will not be long before it lowers. A week, at most, from today.”

“Then I shall also fortify our defences, master,” said Tube. “As a precaution. Everything else, aside from the retrofitting, is almost ready.”

“Excellent. How fares they other enhancements?” he asked.

“See for yourself,” a sultry voice said.

Selena strode towards them. While she didn’t seem that much different, Grace had an eye for these things. Her eyes burned a little brighter and her muscle had been enhanced a little. Even her wings looked stronger.

In the span of about a second, she had crossed the room and right into Fallen’s face. With a fanged grin, she flipped and landed deftly on her hooves.

“A significant improvement,” he remarked. “Thou art every bit the Hunter befitting a thestral.”

“Aren’t I just?” She cackled as small claws sprang out of her hooves. “This is marvellous, Doctor! I’ve never felt so invigorated. My sense of smell, my hearing, it’s all so much more keen! It took some getting used to, but I’ve got it!”

“No thanks are necessary. My formula merely enhanced your natural traits, along with reawakening some latent genes that are carried in all thestrals. You are my first test with the formula,” he said.

“I’d say this test has been pretty successful,” she chuckled. “But it’ll be even better when I’ve tried it out properly.”

“Thy chance will come soon. Osteo,” he continued, “I trust thy lust for battle has not been stemmed by thy recent happenstance.”

“No. The blade untempered by battle is little more than an ornament. I am ready.”

Snick and Slash, masked and silent, emerged from the shadow, like they had melted into the room. The pair inclined their heads, the blades on their legs clattering.

“Yes, I can see thou art eager,” said Soul. “The time is close now. And what of Edge?”

“I have been over his mechanical components for some minor efficiency upgrades,” said Tube. “This will be his first time in the field, but the results should be very promising, master.”

“I expect nothing less. What of Sting?”

“In position already, master,” said Tube. “He is keeping us appraised of all current developments regarding Canterlot and the princess’s allies. Most notably is the coronation of a new princess, one Twilight Sparkle.”

“That name rings familiar…” Fallen went quiet for a moment. “Yes, that young mare. Her protégé… and she has ascended to join her mentor.”

“So it would seem.” Tube looked nervous. “M-Master, are we not concerned about this? I mean, another p-princess seems rather… concerning.”

“She is naïve, inexperienced. She will be dealt with, as will her fellow princesses. We are almost ready.” He turned to a map of Equestria. A number of locations had been marked on it, including Griffinstone, the buffalo lands near Appleloosa, the Burning Badlands and some small settlement near Canterlot. “The places are set. The players are ready. Soon, the curtain will rise and the performance shall begin. All of thee have thy parts. I expect exemplary performance. A month is all we will need for final preparations and then, we will begin.”

Another echo of an emotion sparked in Grace. Excitement, as best he could tell. Despite himself, he smiled. Not long now…

Author's Note:

And after 7 years, Ray of Dusk has come to an end!

Does this mean it's the end of the series? Not yet, it isn't. There will be one final instalment: Colours of Dusk. Currently it's being written and is close to completion. Following proper proofreading and editing, it should be ready either towards the end of November/beginning of December. Expect daily updates when it's ready to post. I'll be posting a blog update later today.

Thank you all again for coming out and supporting this. I'm so sorry I was away from it for so long, but I'm back and we will see it through to the end.

Be strong, be swift, be just.

Alpha.

Comments ( 6 )

And at last it’s over. It’s a strange feeling, seeing that Complete tag after so much time passed. Pleasant, though.

A simple epilogue, but one that does a good job of setting the stage and the stakes. Some may have suspected what was going on (it was certainly foreshadowed enough), but now the truth of the situation with the Beast(s) is fully revealed and Fallen’s objective is brought to light. Perhaps not his actual end goal, but that’ll just have to be seen.

It’s been a long road, with some major detours along the way, but I’m absolutely looking forward to seeing where things go in the final installment. Cheers, Alpha.

It’s over. Ray of Dusk is over.

Time to get the Royal Guard, Allies of the crown, Element Bearers and whoever else ready! Because Fallen Soul and his Motley Crew of Baddies are coming and it’s going take everything they have to take them down.

Glad to see this book end proper and now for the final installment to end the series proper.

Dusklight Forever!

And with that, after seven years, it ends! But not for long.

honestly, I must say, I'm quite impressed with what you've managed to do here. Bringing this fic back to life, and managing to complete it after so long. Though I am a bit curious how much of this was in the original plan for the story from way back when, and how much you either changed or retrofitted into the story to fit with the changes once it returned!

Here's to next story, and the final end. ;)

I get the deadly s’s not saying them. G I think is with the dragons. E is probably with Griffins or maybe p? No idea where g is

I hope I have been cryptic enough

11414137
Shining Armor is a thing and last I recall he never grew wings

Just one more story to go.

Login or register to comment