• Published 27th Dec 2013
  • 3,246 Views, 301 Comments

A Ray of Dusk - AlphatheGriffin17



The changelings are gone, Canterlot is safe and the fighting is finished. Little do Dusk and his friends know that the battle is far from over and the war is just beginning.

  • ...
11
 301
 3,246

The Princess Cometh

“Does somepony wanna explain what in the hay just happened?!” Rainbow yelled.

“I don’t know!” Spike looked warily at the necklaces. “Did you not turn the safeties off or something?”

“Spike, this is no time for wisecracks!” Rarity snapped. “We need to find Twilight!”

“Um… hate to be that guy but uh…?” Ray gestured to the spot on the floor.

Fluttershy rounded on him. “Ray Strike, Rarity already said this is not funny!”

“Hey, hey, your magic necklaces suddenly decided to fire the lasers and this is all that’s left!” he argued. “I’m only saying what I can see!”

“But it don’t make any sense,” said Applejack. “We didn’t try ta use the Elements and they’ve never done somethin’ like this. They’re not meant ta just roast ponies to a crisp!”

Even Pinkie looked worried. “Oh uh, maybe it was more like a teleport spell! Like a really, really big one that made it all smoky!”

“You might be right,” said Dusk, if only to try and reassure himself. “Like Applejack said, the Elements don’t destroy. They incapacitate in some way and they’ve never behaved of their own accord before. Something about Twilight finishing the spell must have triggered something.”

“But what in Equestria could have warranted… this?!” cried Rarity.

“Worry not, my friends. All is well,” said a new voice.

They looked to see a gathering of shimmering starlight manifesting in the library. From it emerged Princess Luna, a comforting smile on her face.

“Peace, mine little ponies,” she said. “Twilight Sparkle is in no danger. The completion of this spell has marked the beginning of a new stage in her life, one which my sister is currently attending to.”

“Forgive me, Luna, but that raises somewhat more questions than it answers,” said Dusk. “What new stage? What’s going on?”

Before any kind of answer could be given, something shone with brilliant light outside. But the day was ended and the night had just begun. The stars and moon weren’t that bright.

The Princess of the Night nodded towards it. “I believe that if you step outside, you will soon see for yourselves.”

They hurried to the square outside. The line was coming from a star, of sorts. But it looked like Twilight’s cutie mark. It lowered gently to the ground, forcing them to shield their eyes as it flared and faded. Left in its place was the shape of a pony, bent over and head bowed.

“Twilight?” Applejack squinted at her. “Is that you?”

With some effort, Twilight stood up. All of them stared in awe as, at the same time she straightened to her full height, a pair of feathered, lilac wings spread from her back. There were no words for this sight. Dusk chanced a glance at Luna, who only smiled.

“Wha... I-I've never seen anything like it!” Applejack exclaimed.

“Ha! Twilight's got wings!” Rainbow cheered. “Awesome! A new flying buddy!”

Rarity stared at the wings. “Why, you've become an Alicorn. I didn't even know that was possible.”

“Alicorn party!” Pinkie screamed while blowing a kazoo.

“How do they feel?” asked Dusk.

“I… I don’t know,” she admitted. She flapped them experimentally. “They feel like… like they’ve always been here, but… also not.”

“Funny, I felt the same way when I discovered I was an Element,” said Dusk. “If it’s any consolation, I’m sure you’ll get used to it.”

“Sure, when you have a necklace you can just take off,” remarked Ray. “Growing new limbs is a little bit different.”

“Wow... You look just like a princess!” Fluttershy gasped.

“That's because she is a princess.”

Celestia landed nearby, striding towards them with grace and poise. At this, Pinkie drank a glass of water just to perform a spit-take.

“A... A princess?” Twilight sounded like she could hardly believe it.

Celestia nodded, looking around at all of them. “Since you've come to Ponyville, you've displayed the charity, compassion, devotion, integrity, optimism, charisma and of course, the leadership of a true princess.”

“Hold on, hold on, why did you look at Dusk when you said ‘charisma?’” asked Ray.

Dusk quirked an eyebrow. “Are you saying I’m not charismatic?”

“Well, I don’t know about that. I guess there’s a certain charm to you and I suppose ponies did follow you into battle and…” Ray shrugged. “Sure, charismatic. Why not?”

“Your confidence in me is truly heartening, Ray.”

“But...” Twilight looked apprehensive. “Does this mean I won't be your student anymore?”

“Not in the same way as before. I'll still be here to help and guide you, but we're all your students now, too.” She sank into a bow. “You are an inspiration to us all, Twilight.”

Everypony else followed suit, though Ray had to be nudged before he realised what they were doing. Even then, he didn’t stay down long and approached Celestia.

“Hold on a minute, let me get this straight. Demon host,” he said, gesturing to himself. He gestured to Twilight. “Alicorn princess. Demon host. Alicorn princess. You see what I mean?”

Celestia frowned. “I’m… afraid I don’t, Ray.”

Dusk suddenly felt apprehensive. Knowing Ray and his history with Celestia, he expected this to be going in an unpleasant direction. Celestia seemed to as well, tensing a little. But when Ray spoke, it was in his usual manner of overblown, exaggerated annoyance and not genuine resentment.

“Oh come on! We were both picked by you and I’ve been through plenty of rough times too, plus I can even teleport. How come I didn’t get any wings?” He flapped his forelegs. “Princess Ray Strike, anypony? Tell me that doesn’t sound good!”

“Oh, I see.” A smile came to Celestia’s face and she tittered. “I’m afraid it doesn’t quite work like that.”

“Well, bully for Twilight then,” he huffed.

“Aww, don’t be sad, Ray.” Pinkie came over and ruffled his mane. “If it makes you feel any better, we could all call you a princess too!”

“Yeah, we can make you some nice cardboard wings and paint them up,” teased Rainbow. “I’ll bet Rarity’ll make you a nice dress, too.”

“Yes, I can see it already.” Rarity scanned him with a discerning eye. “I’m thinking something in a bright gold, with a large bustle and some matching shoes. Maybe a delightful little hat too.”

Ray tossed his mane back. “Okay, I know you’re making fun of me but you know I would look drop dead gorgeous.”

“Yes, you would,” Fluttershy cooed. “You’d make a lovely princess, Ray.”

“… I don’t know if that’s emasculating or not.” He shrugged again. “Oh well, who cares? So yay! Twilight’s a princess. And all it took was her friends going through a forced identity crisis to do it.”

“Ray…”

“No, Dusk, I’m saying it if nopony else will.” He gestured to them all. “Just today, they’ve nearly lost homes and businesses, been attacked by angry animals, jeered at by disgruntled townsfolk and been trapped in a weird dream realm while all I could do was hold his hoof and tell him it would be all okay. So tell me, princess, how is any of that okay?”

A tense silence fell over them. Celestia’s expression was unreadable. Luna looked shamefaced and everypony else looked anxiously from one pony to the other.

“He is right, sister.” Luna stepped up. “They deserve to know of the circumstances at the least. This test was Twilight’s, not theirs and not to the extent they’ve been put through.”

The Sun Princess closed her eyes, nodding slowly. In the end, Celestia sighed and lowered her head to look him in the eye.

“You have every right to be angry, Ray. You all do,” she said. “Please understand. The spell was incomplete and when either myself or Luna attempted it, it did nothing. We didn’t know what its effects would be. I had hoped it would act as a suitable test for Twilight, to finally understand the true connections between her and her friends as I knew that was the missing element of the spell. I didn’t expect it to have such an impact, like you have described.”

“Still pretty irresponsible, letting her have something when you didn’t know what it would do,” he pointed out. “I mean, come on. You know what Twilight is like with old books and ancient spells, especially of the Starswirl variety.”

“You might be right. Again, we certainly didn’t expect the spell to work, given what I thought I knew,” she said. “But that doesn’t diminish the hurt you’ve all been put through. I can only apologise, young ones. You should all be commended for the resilience and fortitude with which you’ve acted. Never have I seen a group of finer friends and more admirable ponies.”

She bowed again, this time to all of them. Luna did too, looking especially ashamed. Her eyes briefly flickered to Dusk before casting them down again. It the end, Pinkie broke the silence.

“I guess everypony makes mistakes, even a thousand-year-old princesses. We’re all okay now and that’s what matters.”

“Yeah, ma family’s farm is back up and runnin’,” said Applejack. “Thanks again fer yer help there, everypony.”

“As is the Carousel Boutique. Though Applejack was about to close when we arrived, I believe that was more due to throwing in the towel after a valiant effort. Which I don’t blame you for, darling,” she added. “Frankly, with the dresses you were turning out, I’m surprised you lasted as long as you did.”

“Thanks!” Applejack frowned. “Ah think?”

“And all of my animals already apologised to Rainbow Dash, along with everypony else I tried to entertain,” said Fluttershy. “I mean, I was rather awful at being a stand-in for Pinkie.”

“Aww, don’t feel too bad.” Pinkie nudged her side. “I’d say you did a pretty great job trying, Fluttershy.”

“Yeah, I appreciate the apology from the animals and all, but uh, I think I’m gonna hang back from the cottage for a bit,” said Rainbow. “It was cutting it pretty close.”

“It’s alright, Princess,” said Twilight. “None of us blame you for what happened. It was all just a big, complicated magical accident. Right?”

“Well, while my own experience certainly wasn’t pleasant, it was… eye opening,” said Dusk. “So no, I don’t either.”

Celestia rose up, inclining her head to the group. Dusk caught Luna’s eye when she looked up. She still looked a little guilty, but Dusk knew he’d see her tonight. They could discuss it then.

“Alright, if that’s how you all feel. Sooooo…” He looked at Celestia. “Does this mean I can get my wings now? Or maybe at least a fancy title? Royal Challenger, something like that?”

“I’m afraid not,” she smirked.

“Eh, had to try.”

“But... what do I do now? Is there a book about being a princess I should read?” asked Twilight.

Celestia giggled. “There will be time for all of that later. Right now, I’m sure you’ve all had a trying day and would benefit from some rest. Twilight, we’ll be in touch to discuss the details of your coronation.”

“Oh my, a coronation and for one of my best friends!” Rarity squealed. “Princess, I must insist you let me design the dresses for everypony!”

“You were the top of my considerations, Rarity,” she said. “But we can sort it out another time. Luna and I must return to Canterlot. Have a good night, everypony.”

They took off into the sky, back to the mountains. Despite the advice of Celestia, the girls were all still fussing over Twilight. Dusk realised just how tired he was. Twilight gave him a look of understanding. This was a lot to process and they could talk about it tomorrow. He bade them all goodnight and set off for home.

“Mind if I walk with you?” asked Ray. “I think I’ve stolen Twilight’s spotlight enough.”

“I’d be glad of the company,” he said. “So… that was certainly something.”

Ray laughed. “You’re telling me. Bud, you’re dating a princess now! Does that make you a prince?”

“I think we need to be married before that can happen.”

“Oh, well you’d better hurry then. Start enjoying those royalty perks.”

Dusk rolled his eyes. “Ray, please. I don’t need you being as bad as Cadence.”

“Hmm, that’s an idea. Maybe I can usurp an existing princess if I can’t become one.” He threw his head back. “Ray Strike, Princess of Love and Ruler of the Crystal Empire! All ponies will bow to me! I mean, she’s only got Shining protecting her, right? I can take him.”

“It’s not Shining you need to be concerned about.” Dusk smirked at his friend. “Let’s just say it’s a good thing we’re herbivores because Cadence would have you for breakfast.”

“Ouch. That cut deep.”

“I can tell. And since when did you care about being any kind of royalty? You dislike virtually everything about those considered upper class.”

“Oh I do, I’m just messing around because I’m a comedic genius.” He chuckled again and nudged Dusk’s side. “To be fair though, is marrying Twilight such a bad thing?”

“I’m not sure. What about you and Fluttershy?”

Ray’s cheeks flushed red. “Yeah, I walked right into that one. But anyway, good for Twilight. Hope she’s a better ruler than her teacher is.”

“Ray, I…” Dusk considered his words carefully. “I know you and Celestia aren’t exactly… well, friendly and with good reason. But I thought you had a kind of understanding.”

“Just because I understand her decision doesn’t mean I have to like it,” he replied. “I get it. Wrath was a bad boy and he needed to be stopped. But… why’d it have to be me who got stuck with him?”

“I’m sorry, my friend.” Dusk patted his shoulder. “You didn’t deserve that. Nopony does.”

“Amen to that. I guess if there was another way, she would have found it but still…” He sighed. “Sorry, making this whole thing about me and my problems. I am seriously happy for Twilight, really. If anypony deserves to be a princess, she does.”

“I agree. Though I can’t help but wonder…” He turned his eyes to the stars. “What will it mean? For me and her, her friendships with the others? I… I don’t want to lose her, Ray.”

“Dusk, really? This is the mare who would do anything for the ponies she cares about, you included. She’s not going to let something like being a princess stop that. According to Sunbutt, it’s the reason why she became a princess in the first place! She won’t let you go or any of us, I know it.”

Dusk kept in a snort of laughter. “I-I’m sorry, that was good of you to say so but… what did you just call Celestia?”

“What? Tell me I’m wrong, go ahead! She literally has the sun on her butt! Although, if we apply that to Luna… gives the phrase ‘full moon’ new meaning.” He frowned. “Okay, I’m stopping this train of thought before it crashes and burns.”

“Good call.” He gave Ray a hug with his foreleg. “Thank you. For what you said and the laughs. I think I needed that, after everything. And… thank you for staying with me while I was, well, out of it.”

“Hey, no problem. What are best friends for, right?” he said with a wink. “Well, I have escorted you safely to your house. My work here is done.”

“Indeed. Goodnight, Ray.” Dusk paused, then added, “You’re a good friend.”

“You too, bud. See you around.”

In a flash of yellow, he was gone. Dusk looked at the spot where he vanished for a bit, then entered his home. Suddenly bereft of what little energy he had left, he went to his bed and collapsed onto it, falling asleep within moments.


When he awoke, he knew at once he wasn’t actually awake. He was glad that he’d mastered lucid dreaming with Luna. He wasn’t interested in his mind replaying his strange episode of the day. And he wasn’t alone.

There was his teacher, standing like she’d been waiting for him. For a few seconds, she managed to maintain an expression of royal neutrality and composure. Then it fell away in seconds when she burst into tears.

“Dusk… m-my student, my friend, I am so, so sorry for what you went through.” She hanged her head, shaking it furiously. “I-I swore to my sister I wouldn’t interfere w-with Twilight’s test and was taking my rest in the day, b-but had I known about your plight, I swear that I would have-“

“Luna.” He was with her in a flash, hugging her. “It’s alright. Like I said before, I don’t blame you or your sister or Twilight. Things just… happened.”

She returned his hug, the tension leaving her. “You… you mean that?”

“Of course. Honestly, I don’t think anypony could have predicted what would happen today.” He looked up at her and smiled. “It’s okay, Luna.”

For a moment, he was afraid she would ask about what had happened. But she didn’t. Instead, she broke out in a smile of sheer relief and joy.

“I thank all of my good fortune, to have been graced by such a friend as you.” She hugged him again. “It means more to me than I can say.”

“As yours does to me,” replied Dusk. They broke apart and he shook his head. “What a day it’s been. I’ll be honest, I’m still trying to process it all.”

“Indeed,” she said, wiping her eyes and managing a smile of her own. “The ascendance of a new alicorn. I never imagined I’d see such a thing again, after Cadence and I’m very pleased that Twilight has been bestowed that honour.”

“But when you arrived, you spoke as if you knew what was happening.”

“Only because my sister had just informed me. When we see you all, in your little flight past Canterlot, my sister took me aside after you left and shared the extent of what she felt would happen.” Luna rolled her eyes. “She was right, of course and she gets so frustratingly smug when it happens.”

Dusk quirked an eyebrow. “So you just wanted to seem like you knew all along?”

“I’m sure I don’t know what you mean.”

“Naturally,” Dusk giggled. “You mentioned that Starswirl developed a particular fixation on alicorns towards the end of his days. Do you think that spell had something to do with it?”

She nodded. “In part, I believe. You said yourself, Dusk, the possibility of friendship becoming manifest in an alicorn, much as my sister and I have speculated. Starswirl’s last spell was an expression of very powerful magic, yet it alone was not enough and even then, it was incomplete. Based on what happened to you and the others, it required the Elements of Harmony to truly work, albeit incorrectly.”

“It did have a particular effect on them. So… give me a moment…” Dusk considered what he’d been told. “If Cadence became the Princess of Love, based on the power of her heart, then Twilight has become the Princess of Friendship in the same way?”

“Indeed, though Friendship is a much more complex and even more powerful magic than Love. Love draws strength from the self, along with others but Friendship is an even stronger expression of that. It required all of the Elements of Harmony, working in concert with wielders united in true friendship and Starswirl’s spell, to truly manifest such power. Thus, we have our newest princess.”

“I think I understand,” said Dusk. “So does that make her another relative now? A new niece for you and Celestia?”

“Dusk, being alicorns does not make us automatically related. Though it does have a certain appeal,” she admitted. “And how do you feel about this affair, Dusk? As you say, it is quite staggering to process.”

“No argument there,” he said. “I think I’m getting there, but… it would help if I could talk to Twilight. Looks like I’ll have to wait until tomorrow for that.”

“Why wait?” Luna gave a knowing smile. “I’m sure she would appreciate some company right now, especially given what her dreams are like at the moment. Consider it a small training exercise.”

Expressing his gratitude in another hug, it didn’t take long for Dusk to find the part of the dream realm that connected to Twilight’s dreams. Just at a glimpse, he could see it didn’t look good. He travelled along to it, touching down inside.

It was the throne room in Canterlot. It was packed full of ponies, all of them yelling in a conflicting cacophony of petitions and demands. Stacks of parchment towered all the way to the ceiling, in multiple piles along both sides of the throne. And stuck in the middle of it all was Twilight, not knowing which way to turn or which concern to address first, getting more stressed by the second.

This, Dusk thought, simply wouldn’t do.

“Attention everypony!” he called out. “The Princess will consider all of your proposals in due course, but for now, she must deliberate.” He conjured up guiding colour arrows. “Please make your way to the waiting area and we will bring you in, one at a time.”

Grumbling, but doing what they were told, the ponies all filed out and cleared Dusk’s way to the throne. He trotted up to a much more relieved Twilight.

“Oh Dusk, thank goodness you’re here!” She levitated about a dozen different forms to him. “We need to go over all of these requisitions and propositions before we have to meet with the delegates in five minutes, but not before we-!”

“Twilight,” he said, gently taking her hoof. “You can calm down. This is all just a dream. It isn’t happening.”

“Oh. Right. O-Of course.” She looked at the piles, which vanished in a puff of smoke. “Sorry. I… just got so caught up.”

“Understandably so. Now, how about we retire to much more comfortable settings?” The throne room faded away and they were in the library, sat at the kitchen table. “Cup of tea, darling?”

“Thank you, dear,” she giggled, taking the offered cup. Her smile faded as she looked at it. “We probably won’t be able to do this for much longer.”

“What, having some tea? I should think we’ll always-“

“I mean, having tea in here. Or studying or reading or doing anything here, ever.” She gazed around the room with nostalgia. “Celestia will probably want me to move back to Canterlot, start learning how to be a proper princess there. There’ll be so much to do and… and I’ll have to say goodbye to all of our friends. S-So much is going to change, I can’t… I don’t want things to change.”

“Twilight, I…” Dusk sighed. “I’ll confess, I’m worried about what changes this will bring too. This is big.”

“It’s huge!” she cried. “I mean, look at me! I’m a princess! An actual, alicorn princess! You know how busy Celestia and Luna get, the responsibilities of being a ruler. We’ve only ever looked from the outside in, but now we’re going to be right in the thick of it! There’s going to be so much to do, so much to learn! How will we even-?!”

“Miss Sparkle, you’re spiralling again,” he said. “Take a moment. Centre yourself and breathe.”

“Okay. Okay…” She performed a breathing exercise very similar to Cadence, relaxing her posture a little. “Okay. I needed that. Thank you.”

“My pleasure. I couldn’t help but notice,” he went on, “the use of the word ‘we’ there though you mentioned possibly saying goodbye to our friends. Am I going to be a member of your court?”

“Well, of course. I’d never leave you behind.” She smiled again. “What would I do without my number one pony assistant?”

He bowed his head to her. “You honour me, your highness.”

“Eugh, that sounds so weird,” she grimaced. “I guess I’ll have to get used to hearing it from everypony though. Oh, I just realised as well: do you think ponies will invoke my name in things?”

“What, saying things like ‘oh for Twilight’s sake?’” Dusk chuckled at the thought. “Now, that would be something to hear.”

“It’s so weird to think about! I’m going to have a throne a-and a crown. I mean, I already have one, it’s my Element of Harmony but I can’t exactly…” She frowned in thought. “Do you think that’s why it appears the way it does? Was this… was this always going to happen?”

“Who can say? I thought we understood everything about the Elements, until they decided to friendship disintegration beams,” he remarked. “That was a bit of a shock.”

“How do you think it was for me? I ended up in this weird… well, it was sort of like being in a dream. Then Celestia was there and she talked about how I’ve come such a long way, that it was time to fulfil my destiny…” She shook her head. “And to think, today just started out as a normal day in Ponyville.”

Dusk cocked his head. “We have normal days in Ponyville?”

“Shush, I mean relatively normal.” That smile became a little easier. “You know, talking about it with you, it suddenly doesn’t seem so bad. Thank you, Dusk.”

“My pleasure, it’s what I try to do.” He noticed her look uncertain again. “Something the matter?”

“You mean apart from the life altering change that just happened?” she said with a forced laugh. “Just… what I said before, about you coming with me. If I do have to go back, you will come with me… right?”

“You don’t even need to ask. And on the subject of your court of friendship, it seems a bit thin currently. We’ll need a scribe for taking notes, so Spike will be essential and a princess can’t do without a tailor so that means Rarity will have to come along.” He weaved colour images of all of them as he spoke. “Applejack will need to keep us appraised of food supply logisitics. Rainbow will be an envoy for the weather schedule and Pinkie can plan social functions. Fluttershy will need to attend some of the royal animals and I’m sure Ray will be happy to come along as court jester.”

“Oh, I’m sure he’d love that,” she laughed, her smile back again. “But we can’t expect them all to move for me.”

“You never know though, do you? Just as we don’t know what will ultimately happen when you become princess properly. But there’s one thing I can tell you that is true: you won’t be on your own. Celestia and Luna won’t be going anywhere, I’m sure they’ll lend a hoof. Cadence will no doubt have some advice for you too. You’ll be near your parents again and I can assure you, none of us will be letting you do this alone.” He reached across for her hoof. “We’ve got your back, Twilight.”

She took his in return, her smile growing. Then she grasped him with her magic and pulled him across the table for a kiss. He returned it eagerly.

“Has anypony told you, that you’re absolutely amazing?” she asked.

“That’s my line to you.” He nuzzled her cheek. “You know, I noticed something else… you’re a little taller, too.”

“I am? Come here, let me see.” She took him around to stand in front of him. “Hey, you’re right! Guess that’s another perk of being a princess.”

“Do you think you’ll be as tall as Celestia?” pondered Dusk. “Maybe get a flowing mane like hers too?”

“One step at time, I think.” She kissed him again and they shared a hug after. “Thank you, Dusk. I don’t know what’s going to happen, but if I have all of you with me, I think I’ll be okay.”

“I think so too. Right, I’d best get back to Luna. Pleasant dreams, Miss Sparkle.”

She giggled. “I don’t think that’ll be a problem, thanks to you. I love you.”

“And I you.”

He waved farewell and travelled back to the dreamworld nexus, where Luna waited for him. She beamed at him with pride.

“How far you have come, my friend and how much further you have yet to go.” She embraced him with her wings. “Twilight may have become a princess today, but I am very proud of you as well. You and your friends overcame a great trial today, in the recesses of your mind. Fighting the enemies within is just as challenging as those without.”

“It helps to have had such a brilliant teacher and an even dearer friend. Thank you, Luna.”

“You are always welcome. Now, let us turn to help others in need within their dreams,” she said. “It is gratifying that I no longer do this alone.”

Together, the two ponies set off to battle nightmares and fears wherever they surfaced, until the sun brought them back into waking…


The next few day were spent in intense preparation for the coronation of Twilight. Celestia had already done a lot of the groundwork, but the final touches needed to come together. Rarity had to do serious crunch time for the clothes of Twilight and all their friends. The other princesses already had their dresses being made, but it was still a lot of work.

Twilight had been partly right, in that she was recalled to Canterlot. But only briefly, Celestia assured, while the coronation was being prepared. She and her sister still handled the major running of things and Twilight still had a lot to learn before she was truly ready. They wouldn’t ask her to be uprooted from Ponyville, much to their collective relief.

As such, running of the library fell to Dusk and Spike while Twilight was away. Since the two already worked so well together, this wasn’t a major adjustment. Dusk had to be a little earlier for work, but that just meant enjoying a Spike-made breakfast.

“Hey, just think,” he said one morning. “Pretty soon, we’ll be royal assistants!”

“So, assistants with a fancier title?” asked Dusk.

“Eh, I’ll take what I can get,” he shrugged. “Wonder if I should start wearing something fancy…”

The rest of their friends make regular trips to and from Canterlot when they could, mainly for moral support. The rest of their time was spent excitedly talking about what Twilight’s new duties as a princess would mean for all of them. Though there was some shared apprehension for the future, they were all of the same mind: they’d face it together.

At long last, the day came. Dressed in a new sky-blue suit of Rarity design, complete with a ruffled collar, bow-tie and a bowler hat (mainly because the others had hats for their outfits), Dusk stood with them all at the head of the hall. A royal purple carpet led up to where the Princesses stood in matching purple and gold gowns. Cadence had her mane done up the same as when she’d received the Equestria Games representative. Flowers lined the aisle, candles glowed gently from hanging candelabras and the day was bright and blue.

Dusk kept glancing down at his chest while Celestia gave her speech. Ray nudged him with a smirk, dressed in a yellow suit and tailcoat that matched his eyes, along with a matching tri-corner hat.

“Don’t worry, your bow-tie is there and still cool.” He frowned. “Didn’t somepony once say bow-ties are cool?”

“It’s not that,” he whispered back. “It’s my half of the necklace I gave Twilight. I couldn’t find it this morning and I wanted to wear it specially.”

“Maybe you left it somewhere?”

“Only when I go to bed at night. Other than that, it doesn’t leave my sight. But when Spike came by today to rush me out, I forgot about until I was almost at the door and it wasn’t there when I went to get it.”

“I’m sure it’ll turn up somewhere. Hopefully not in Spike’s stomach.”

“You two, shush!” Rarity hissed. “Whatever it is, it can wait!”

Ray nodded and mimed zipping his mouth shut. Dusk resolved that he’d just have to try and find it later. He hoped he hadn’t lost it or that Twilight wouldn’t hold it against him not having it.

Trying to focus his attention on something else, he tuned into Celestia’s speech.

“… proving without a doubt that she is ready to be crowned Equestria's newest princess.” The joy in Celestia’s voice was evident to all who heard it. “Fillies and gentlecolts, may I present for the very first time, Princess Twilight Sparkle!”

The doors opened and with standards of her cutie mark, carried by a procession of guards and escorts, she came. She was swathed in a dress of vibrant pink, with cream-coloured train and trim. Her wings were unfolded and her mane had been curled at the ends, bobbing slightly as she walked.

As the escorts proclaimed her coming, Spike presented her crown on a velvet cushion. It wasn’t the actual Element of Magic, but it had been modelled after it. Celestia lowered it onto her head and she turned to face the crowd. The jewel glinted in the light and Dusk could see her parents in the front row, weeping with joy.

She was then led to the balcony, to a crowd of cheering ponies. Dusk saw Celestia lean in to whisper something and she stepped up to give a speech to them. She told them about how she’d been sent to learn about friendship, that she’d never cared much about it until she met all of her friends. She even gestured to them to join her and Dusk had never felt more proud in his life. There wasn’t a dry eye present.

They weren’t the only ones proud of her. Shining was even weeping what he called ‘liquid pride’. Her parents came and embraced their daughter. Her father was a blubbering mess, while her even her mother was having trouble keeping it together. Much to Dusk’s surprise, his own parents approached to offer their congratulations too.

“You were wonderful, Twilight,” said Chord. “I know we don’t know each other very well, but we’re truly honoured to be here today.”

“Th-Thank you, ma’am,” said Twilight.

“Oh goodness, a princess called me ma’am. Did you hear that, Abby? Me, a ma’am to a princess!”

“I heard, dear. Quite a remarkable young filly,” said Abacus, with more warmth than Dusk gave him credit for. “You should feel very proud of yourself. As I am of… of my son.”

Dusk gasped as his father turned to look at him. The two approached each other, standing awkwardly. Then Dusk threw decorum to the wind and hugged him. Abacus froze for a moment, but returned it, his mother joining in too, unable to contain herself.

Sombra approached as well, sinking into a low bow.

“My most sincere congratulations, Twilight. Equestria will be that much safer, with you upon the throne,” he said.

“I believe some credit is owed.” They saw Trixie approaching, dressed in a glittering purple suit and cape. “After all, I think we all know you wouldn’t have made it without overcoming the challenges presented by the Great and Powerful Trixie!”

“If that’s what you want to believe,” giggled Twilight. “Thanks for coming, Trixie. How are things in the Empire?”

“They are adequate to Trixie’s standards,” she said. Then she dropped her haughtiness. “In all seriousness, your brother and sister-in-law are amazing. I’m living in a palace, Twilight. A palace! It won’t be long before Trixie has a crown and wings of her own.”

“Don’t get your hopes up.” Doom slinked out from behind a pillar, forced into a basic tuxedo and tie. “Boasting doesn’t make you royalty.”

“And brooding doesn’t make you cool,” returned Trixie. She noticed everypony had tensed up, seeing Dusk’s former dark side. “Not to worry, everypony. Doomie’s promised to be on his best behaviour.”

He snarled. “I told you not to call me that.”

“And I will continue to ignore you,” she said. “Now, let’s go and see where the refreshments are being hidden. Congrats again, Twilight! Ooh, ooh, I’ve actually managed to pick up a few new spells from Cadence and those books Sombra gave to her! I’ll have to give you a demonstration later.”

“Oh that sounds great, Trixie!” Twilight’s smiled perked up. “I can’t wait to see what you’ve learned.”

“Of course you can’t. After all, it is me.”

She sauntered away, Doom rolling his eyes and following behind. Everypony all silently agreed that it was quite odd to have witnessed that and decided not to talk about it.

After the coronation, a parade followed that saw Twilight riding on a chariot and being thrown flowers. She even demonstrated the first proper use of her wings, much to the joy of those watching. They all briefly retired at its conclusion to rest and dress down for the party taking place in the gardens later that evening.

Though they still wore nice outfits, this was a much more relaxed affair that saw more of their friends than random well-wishers. This included those from Ponyville and beyond.

“My friends, it’s so good to see you again!” Little Strongheart hurried up. “And on such a wonderful day. Thank you for having me, it’s been too long.”

“You mean apart from flying by just a few days ago?” asked Rainbow. “That didn’t leave an impression.”

“I do recall something like that, but it must have been a passing fancy,” she joked. “Chief Thunderhooves has extended an invitation to join us in Appleloosa for a traditional stampede and a hoedown, as Braeburn calls it.”

“We’ll definitely see about comin’ along. Always happy ta see family and friends,” said Applejack.

“Indeed, what a joyous day it is, to witness a sight brilliant as this.” Zecora approached, wearing a robe of many dazzling colours. “I have a gift to present, to the princess most resplendent. A charm to bring luck considered good, carved from the Everfree’s wood.”

“It’s beautiful,” said Twilight. “Thank you, Zecora. Are you having a good time?”

“So far, yes. I’m sure this evening will be one of the best,” she replied. “Now, if you will excuse me, I’m going to get down and party!”

“Woo, you go, zebra!” cheered Pinkie. She whisked her away to the dance floor.

Quite a few were already there, bopping to the beats pumped out by Vinyl. Cadence and Shining twirled around, while Sombra and Luna gently swayed. Even Discord was cutting up a chaotic rug with Celestia, laughing with unrestrained joy at his antics. Ray bobbed about while Fluttershy giggled at his ridiculous displays and the Crusaders were all dancing together, Pinkie in their midst while doing the chicken dance.

Dusk moved about the rest of the party between different conversations. He caught up with one-time Canterlot friends. Jock and Muscles offered hoof bumps for ‘bagging a princess’ while Prim and Mirror rolled their eyes and laughed respectively. He sat at a table with Gentle, Nightfall and Frequency for a little catchup. Singer had joined the table too, looking quite perplexed he was even here.

“Yeah, I came as Gilda’s plus one.” He pointed to her on the dance floor, bobbing her head like a pigeon with Rainbow. “We ended up keeping in touch after the con and uh… yeah, still not sure what I’m doing here.”

“You’ll get used to it,” giggled Gentle. “Just go with the flow. It’s what we do.”

“Indeed,” said Nightfall. “Really, my own observatory became something of a royal half-way house. Now it seems we have one more.”

“Speak for yourselves,” remarked Frequency. “I’m used to this sort of thing.”

“As am I. Good to see you, Dusk.” The muscled Phoenix Wing sidled up to Dusk. “I mean, more in terms of getting their funding for my research, but same difference.”

Singer smiled sheepishly. “I suddenly feel very self-conscious.”

“Don’t worry about it. What kind of research is that?” asked Gentle.

Phoenix shrugged. “Dragons.”

“You’re kidding!” Nightfall cried. “You have to tell us more about that.”

Dusk listened quietly for a bit before excusing himself and leaving them to it. He spotted Twilight, deep in close conversation with Cadence. Feeling a sense of déjà vu, he started to head over but Twilight went up to the stage at the ending of the last song, taking the microphone offered by Vinyl.

“Excuse me, everypony? Could I have your attention please?” Everypony stopped what they were doing to look. “Thank you. I’d like you all to please follow me. There’s a little spot in the gardens I want to show you.”

If anypony thought this seemed strange, they didn’t question it. It wasn’t far from the main party and Dusk recognised it at once. He watched as Twilight turned again to face them.

“I spoke earlier about how learning about friendship has brought me to where I am today. But that isn’t the only thing that has. This spot has been a very special one, to a very special somepony here. It’s where my mentor, Celestia, first saw his potential and sent him to meet me. Where we took an important first step together into something new and wonderful. Where we reaffirmed that step, after a devastating conflict. I’d like to ask that pony to come and join me here.”

Her eyes found his and Dusk felt every other eye turn to see him. His face feeling warm and his heart beating a little faster, he went to stand with her.

“Over a year ago, on this spot, Dusk Noir agreed to be my special somepony. Anypony who knew how I felt about friendship can probably guess how I felt about romance. I thought it sounded silly and pointless, making that much fuss over just one pony. But the lessons I learned about friendship also began to extend to romance and I began to realise just how special it is.” She took his hoof, turning to face him. “It isn’t all about grand gestures and hoof holding and kissing. It’s about finding a pony who compliments your shortcomings and raises you up, despite them. Who challenges you in all the best ways, while also supporting you when you feel like the world is against you. Who stays with you through the best and worst of times. This pony has done all of that and more.”

She gave it a moment to let her words settle, then continued and looked fully into his eyes.

“Dusk, I know we’ve not always been perfect. We’ve made our mistakes. Hurt each other when we didn’t mean to. Acted like idiots on more than one occasion and no, not just him.” That got a little laugh. “But against everything, we’ve stuck through it all and life is just a little bit better with just having you in it. A few days ago, when the weight of this new phase in my life seemed so overwhelming, you pulled me back. Like you have so many times before. The perspective it gave made this decision so much easier to make. Whatever challenges my life as a princess might bring, I don’t want to face them without you. And so, I just want to ask you one, simple question.”

She knelt down in front of him. A steady murmur passed through those watching as she took out something, levitating it with her magic. It was the Lover’s Diamond necklace he’d gotten her as a birthday present. He thought he’d misplaced his half that morning. How had she…?

Dusk happened to glance at Spike, who grinned and gave thumbs up. Of course. He must have grabbed it in the confusion that morning. He looked back at the necklace as she separated the two halves, then at Twilight. Tears welled in both their eyes and he just couldn’t keep the grin that threatened to take over his whole face.

“Dusk Noir, will you do me the honour of becoming my prince? Will you…?” She choked on this, but managed to push through. “Will you marry me?”

“Yes,” he said without a moment’s hesitation. “Yes, yes, a thousand times, YES!”

The half of his necklace wasn’t on for a second when he swept her up in a passionate kiss, everypony watching bursting into tumultuous applause with a few whistles thrown in for good measure. No sooner had they broken apart, then Cadence swept them up in a hug.

“You did it, you did it!” she cried. “Oh, I’m so happy for both of you!”

Dusk laughed. “You knew?”

“Don’t act so surprised. See?” she said with a smirk. “Told you that it wasn’t anything to worry about.”

“Yes, you did.” Dusk hugged her again. “Thank you, SILBFF.”

“Hmm?”

“Sister-In-Law Best Friend Forever.”

“Ohh. Oh, you…!” She giggled and wrapped her wings around him again. “Anytime, BILBFF.”

“And don’t worry,” said Shining, hugging his sister and shaking Dusk’s hoof. “We’ll make sure no changelings show up at your wedding. Unless they’re on the guest list.”

“Much appreciated,” giggled Twilight. “Now, shall we return to the party, my prince?”

Dusk bowed. “By your leave, my princess.”

As they walked back, Dusk felt like his leg might drop off from how many ponies and other creatures shook his hoof or slapped him on the back. But there was one group he was most eager to hear from.

“Hey, hey, hey!” Pinkie cheered. “Looking good, your majesties!”

“Oh… oh this is… this is simply…” Rarity could hardly speak from crying. “There a-are no words!”

“Ah got one: congratulations.” Applejack hugged them at the same time. “Yer gonna make the best prince and princess Equestria has ever seen.”

“Yeah, just don’t expect us to start bowing to you.” Rainbow punched his leg. “You’re not that special.”

“Great, another friend becoming royalty,” remarked Ray. “Hey, you could make me a knight or something? Knight me with the royal pipe!”

“Don’t get ahead of yourself, they’re not married yet,” giggled Fluttershy. “But when they are, I’m sure it’ll be just magical.”

“And sappy as all hay, probably,” said Spike. “But I guess I can get used to it. Just don’t leave me with babysitting when you two have kids.”

“One step at a time, Spike.” Twilight looked at Dusk. “So, how does it feel to be on your way to becoming a prince?”

“Nothing compared to how it feels being on my way to becoming your husband,” he replied. “If you think you can put up with me for the rest of your life?”

“I think I can manage. Also,” she added, swatting him on the nose with a flower. “Not as bad as a pipe, but still no more self-put-downs from you.”

“Yeah, she knows what’s up!” crowed Ray. “Although, I’m not sure if it’s touching or cheap that you just used the necklace he already got you. I mean, you’re a princess now, you couldn’t shell out some bits for a new engagement ring or necklace?”

“Excuse me, but I was going for touching.” Twilight looked down at her own half. “Our relationship is more than just this necklace, but it’s also a pretty good representation of it and I honestly didn’t feel like I could top it. Thanks for getting it for me, Spike.”

Spike beamed. “No problem. It was a little tricky, but once he was distracted, swiping it was easy.”

“I do hope this doesn’t mark the beginning of Spike’s career as a pilferer of fine jewellery,” joked Rarity.

“Well, I think it was a lovely gesture,” said Dusk. “I could have done without it going missing, but I appreciate why. Now, it has even more meaning.”

“Yep! Because…!” Twilight’s grinned flared. “We’re getting married!”

“I know!” he cried. “I have to say, if you were worried about it, you hid it well.”

“It wasn’t easy, but then after becoming a princess, this felt much easier to deal with. Not that I don’t expect it to be challenging,” she added, “but I know it’ll be worth it.”

“As do I.”

“Excuse me, everypony! If I could have your attention please.” Cadence was beaming at the microphone stand. “I know Twilight just did this, but don’t worry this won’t take long. In commemoration of the wonderful event we’ve just witnessed, I would like to dedicate this song to the engagement of Princess Twilight and her soon-to-be Prince, Dusk Noir!”

The hooves of everypony present thundered in applause, earning blushes and shy smiles from the pair. At the same time, Cadence nodded to Vinyl, who spun a new record.

The music that played was upbeat and catchy, one that Dusk couldn’t resist dancing to. Neither could Twilight and within seconds, they were out on the dance floor, with no mind to coordination or looking good. Just enjoying the presence of each other and the music.

Cadence’s singing accompanied the best and only got Dusk’s blood pumping even more.

Hero too, I am a hero too!
My heart is set
And I won’t back down!

Hero too, strength doesn’t make a hero
True heroes stand up for what they believe,
So wait and see!

When the chorus kicked in, he twirled Twilight around him, smiling wider than he’d ever done in his life. In response, she laughed and used her wings to carry him into the sky. As she spun him gently around, their lips meeting again, only one thing went through Dusk’s head.

That everything was most certainly fine.

Author's Note:

The song referenced is Hero Too from My Hero Acadamia.

One more chapter to go! A brief epilogue, being published this Sunday. See you then!