• Published 27th Dec 2013
  • 3,246 Views, 301 Comments

A Ray of Dusk - AlphatheGriffin17



The changelings are gone, Canterlot is safe and the fighting is finished. Little do Dusk and his friends know that the battle is far from over and the war is just beginning.

  • ...
11
 301
 3,246

A Dusk in the Life

“You guys found him yet?” asked Apple Bloom.

“Nope, nothing over here!” called Scootaloo from up a tree. “Sweetie Belle, any sign?”

She peered out behind a tree trunk. “Nope. I checked behind all these trees and he’s not here. How can one stallion be so difficult to find?”

“But he can only be somewhere in Sweet Apple Acres! He has to be!” Apple Bloom thought for a moment. “We’re just gonna have ta expand our search. I’ll keep lookin’ around the orchard. Scootaloo, you take the area around the clubhouse. Sweetie Belle, you check out the barn.”

“On it!” the two fillies said and sped off.

As she ran, Sweetie Belle just couldn’t understand it. There were three of them and one of him. They knew where he was, roughly speaking. How had they still not managed to find him? It felt like it had been hours! Still, they were up to the challenge. They were the Cutie Mark Crusaders! There was nothing they couldn’t do.

It didn’t take long for her to spot the barn and Sweetie Belle ran a little faster to get there. Pausing to catch her breath, Sweetie nudged the door open with her nose and set hoof inside. She lit her horn to get a better look.

At first glance, nothing seemed out of place. Bales of hay, pitchforks and other things. Everything that should be in a barn. But she had a feeling. She shut the door behind her, so she’d know if he tried to use it.

Squinting into the dim, she scanned the area closely. He had be hiding in the darker parts. That’s what he was quite good at. Her own little light felt like it didn’t do much to get rid of the shadows, but that wouldn’t stop her. She knew he was somewhere here, she just knew it.

She paused. Had something moved, further back there? Or was that her own shadow? No, because hers was being cast from a window further up the barn. Pretending like she hadn’t noticed anything, she tried to seem casual while she wandered closer to the back of the barn. Was it her imagination or was that patch of shadow a little darker than the rest?

She waited until she was just close enough and turned her back. She just had to wait, just a little longer.

She glanced over her shoulder, sensing movement. She channelled more magic into her horn and ran towards the patch of shadow.

“Ah-ha!” she cried. She jumped and tackled into something solid. “Found you!”

“Yes,” a light voice chuckled. “Yes you have, my honorary little sister.”

Sweetie backed up to let a stallion with duke blue fur and a messy, chestnut mane stand up. He picked up his hat, which had fallen from his head and put it back on. He brushed himself off and smiled.

“Any change?” asked Dusk Noir.

“Lemme see!” Sweetie checked her flank. Nothing. “Aww. No finding ponies cutie mark. What would that even look like?”

“A magnifying glass, perhaps?” he suggested. “Regardless, I’m sorry, Sweetie.”

“It’s alright. We figured that, since you can literally hide in darkness, finding you would do something. But it was still fun anyway!” she chirped.

“Yes, I quite agree. I’ve not played hide and seek for years. Being able to manipulate shadow just provides more hiding options and Luna will be happy to know I’ve been practicing.” He ruffled her mane and beckoned to the door. “Come on, we’d best find the other two.”

“Thanks again for agreeing to this, Dusk. It feels like I haven’t seen you in ages!”

“I suppose it has been a while, hasn’t it?” he agreed. “I find my schedule is often quite full these days, but I’m happy I was able to find the time to spend with you, my little pony.”

“Me too. Ooh, I’ve been practicing my magic more like you showed me!” She made her horn glow again. “Could you tell?”

He nodded. “I could indeed. Be careful not to overdo it though or you’ll give yourself a headache.”

“Tell me about it. I was practicing with the rock you gave me a few days ago. I managed to make it shoot all the way up! But wow did it hurt after.” She rubbed her head. “Rarity was going on for hours about how unicorns shouldn’t place themselves in such embarrassing positions like pushing their magic too much.”

“Well, if your sister is going to talk about embarrassing behaviour, just drop the name Tom the Diamond to her. And you didn’t hear it from me,” he whispered.

She giggled. “Okay, I’ll try it. Hey girls! Look, I found him!”

“Lucky! Did you get…?” Scootaloo’s question trailed off when Sweetie showed her flank. “Darn it! Oh well, worth a shot I guess.”

“You’re so lucky, Dusk!” said Apple Bloom. “You got two different cutie marks and we can’t even get one!”

“Just keep at it, girls. Nopony ever said it would be easy getting a cutie mark, but I don’t know another group of more resourceful and persistent fillies. You’ll get them someday, just don’t lose that spirit and keep the faith.”

“Figured you’d say something like that,” said Scootaloo. “But thanks Dusk. Hey, maybe my cutie mark will be like a dream warrior! Like when you helped me with my nightmares and then I did the same for yours!”

Dusk chuckled. “Well, you’ll have to speak with Princess Luna about that. Dreamscaping is tough, even for her.”

“Yeah I’m not surprised. Imagine having to help everypony in Equestria fight their nightmares!” She shuddered. “Yeah on second thought, I’ll leave that to you two.”

“Maybe you could ask Ray? Since he’s an honorary crusader, I’m sure he could give you some insight,” suggested Dusk.

“We were gonna, but last time we saw him, he didn’t exactly look great,” said Apple Bloom. “He told us he was fine but we could tell he wasn’t. Is he okay?”

Dusk took a long while before answering. He looked rather sad before he did too.

“He’s mostly okay, girls. There’s some… well, let’s call it really complex grown-up pony stuff that he’s trying his best to work through. Don’t worry though, Bloom. Your sister and our friends are helping him with it,” he said.

“Well that’s good,” she replied. “Hey maybe we could do somethin’ nice fer him. Cheer him up with one of our cutie mark outings or make him somethin’!”

“Yeah that’s a great idea!” agreed Scootaloo. “We won’t leave a fellow Crusader in the dumps, even if he already has a cutie mark!”

“Maybe we could ask Fluttershy, since she’s his marefriend and then she could help too!” Sweetie Belle sighed. “Oh, they’re just so romantic together.”

“I’m sure he’d very much appreciate it,” said Dusk. “I have a lot of hope for Equestria if more fillies like you three are out in the world.”

“Thanks, Dusk,” said Sweetie Belle. They gave him a collective hug. “We think you’re pretty great too.”

“I am much indebted to you.” His eyes suddenly widened. “Blast, I’ve just remembered what time it is! Sorry girls, must dash! See you later!”

“Bye Dusk!” they chorused. Sweetie watched him go, then said, “Alright, shall we get to planning?”

Apple Bloom beamed. “Hay yeah! CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS: PONY CHEER UP TIME!”

With that, they scrambled into the clubhouse to go over ideas.


“I’m telling you,” Vinyl was saying, “a cello with inbuilt synth speakers is the way forward in music!”

“We are not having this conversation again, Vinyl,” Octavia sighed.

“Come on! We already play together and even you said it sounds good. This way, you’d be able to bring the beauty of the wubs even when I’m not around!”

“If I say I’ll think about it, will you stop bringing it up?”

“Sure! I’ve already got the blueprints drawn up.”

Octavia blinked. “You’re… you’re not serious?”

“Tavi, please. When it comes to the wubs, I’m always serious,” she said with a grin. “Now where in the hay is this guy?”

“Yes, from what I’ve been told, he’s usually quite punctual,” Octavia agreed. “Well, I’m sure he won’t be too much-“

“Oh hey, speak of the devil. Hey dude, over here!”

Octavia looked up to see the unicorn stallion in question galloping towards them. The trilby hat he wore almost fell off his head in his hurry to reach them, as did the glasses balanced on his nose.

“Sorry… sorry I’m late…” panted Dusk when he reached their table. “Completely… slipped my mind… until a few minutes ago.”

“Hey no sweat, man.” Vinyl grinned. “Wouldn’t be the first time I was late for something. Right Tavi?”

“That’s not a fact to be proud of, Vinyl,” she replied.

Dusk laughed as he sat down. Octavia smirked a little at the display. Her contact with the Element of Unity was rather sporadic. One moment, they were performing together in a Hearth’s Warming pageant. The next, he was throwing her out of his house in a sudden fit of anger and then just like that, they were fighting together against a hostile invasion. The latter was, in a roundabout way, the subject of this little get-together.

“I was surprised when you got in touch,” said Dusk. “I thought you lived in Canterlot.”

“We do, but we also got a little place here. Figured it was best, since this is where all the action seems to happen. Plus, Pinkie usually has me out for parties,” added Vinyl. “But then I also remembered that I was meant to get you a drink after we beat the bugs and you never took me up on it. Gotta say, Dusk, I’m hurt. Wounded even!”

“My sincerest apologies, Turntable Temptress,” he said. “It feels like I hardly have a moment to myself these days.”

She waved a hoof. “Nah it’s cool. Then I figured, hey what’s better than a drink? Lunch! Even managed to get Tavi along. No Quency though, he’s working for his next gig but he sends his best.”

“That’s appreciated and thank you, Vinyl. Well, it’s nice to see you both outside of armed conflict or um… less than stellar house parties,” he said with a blush.

“Yes, that was quite a display as I recall,” said Octavia. “What in Equestria brought that on, if you don’t mind my asking?”

He shifted uncomfortably. “I won’t get into it much. Lots of little things, relationship issues, um… family trouble. Needless to say, it wasn’t one of my best days. My sincerest apologies again.”

“Considering that we fought side by side against an army of changelings, I’d say that you’ve more than made up for it,” said Octavia. “Consider the matter forgotten.”

He thanked them and they ordered food. It didn’t take long for it arrive and they spent a few moments quietly eating before carrying on the conversation.

“Man, it’s still wild to think about, isn’t it?” said Vinyl. “A few months ago, this place was crawling with those guys and they were all over Canterlot too. Now they’re just gone and here we are, chowing down like it’s nothing.”

“It’s funny how that works out,” said Octavia. “Still, it’s not Ponyville’s first brush with danger. The Summer Sun Celebration last year, that dreadful Discord making a comeback and then that one other pony who took over the town. Wasn’t he back again recently? Large fellow with dark fur and a white mane.”

“Yeah, had some really edgy sounding name too, like something a moody teen thinks sounds dark and cool. Hey, what’s with ponies saying he’s your brother or something?” asked Vinyl.

“Where did you hear that?” asked Dusk.

“We musicians often blend into the background when playing,” said Octavia. “You’d be surprised what we hear when ponies think we aren’t listening. So, is it true?”

“Believe me, he’s no brother of mine as far as I’m concerned,” replied Dusk. “He’s… well, let’s say he’s a remnant of Discord that’s proven as stubborn and difficult to shift as a cockroach.”

“Sounds like you have quite a history,” said Octavia. “I trust we aren’t likely to see him again?”

“I hope not,” he murmured.

“Remnant of Discord huh? That’s pretty twisted,” said Vinyl. “Man, am I glad I never had to deal with that guy. The bugs were bad enough.”

Dusk nodded. “No argument from me.”

“Hey, didn’t part of the Everfree Forest get messed up during that whole thing too? Like a whole load of trees and land, just blown away! I heard from some ponies they saw something from a distance. Looked like a great big red wolf or something, glowing like neon. You end up dealing with that too, Dusk?”

“Well… yes…” He shifted in his seat again. “It wasn’t… well, it wasn’t pleasant. We defeated it, but even so… sorry, I’d rather not talk about it, if that’s alright?”

“Hey I get it. It’s like Tavi and the time I found her making out with that photo of-“

“Ahem!”

“Oh. Right yeah, sorry,” she said quickly. “But yeah, I guess something like that must have been pretty rough.”

“In more ways than one,” replied Dusk.

“I suppose we should be thankful we all made it through. That other stallion, Ray I think, he certainly played his part in that whole affair,” remarked Octavia.

“Yeah what’s his deal anyway? He an Element too? Hey, do you think we’ll turn out to be Elements of Harmony if we hang out with them long enough?” she snickered. “Oh, I could be the Element of Dubstep!”

Octavia rolled her eyes. “I fail to see how synthetic music is one of the cornerstones of harmony and friendship, Vinyl.”

“Then what does our friendship even mean, Tavi? What?!”

“That would be quite a sight,” laughed Dusk. “But no, Ray isn’t an Element. He’s like Spike, he just hangs around and helps out with us.”

“Oh yeah, that little guy just shot up too! I swear, last time I saw him, he barely came up past my leg.”

“That’s just how dragons mature,” said Dusk. “It was quite an ordeal to pull it off, too.”

“I can imagine. You seem to get into a lot of tribulations with your friends,” noted Octavia.

“If you think so, you should hear the time I faced off against living statues with a time travelling alien pony who lives in a box that’s bigger on the inside than the outside.”

Octavia quirked an eyebrow. “You’re pulling our legs, aren’t you?”

Dusk only smiled mysteriously and winked. The rest of lunch passed with various stories being swapped, especially from Dusk. Everything from battling hydras to running with buffalo and all sorts of other adventures he’d had with his unique group of friends.

Yet despite how much his face lit up, Octavia couldn’t quite forget how clouded with pain and troubled feeling he had from their earlier topics. They clearly had left their mark on him, even if he wouldn’t talk about it. She wouldn’t pry if he didn’t want to discuss it of course, but she understood that being in the limelight wasn’t without its setbacks. She only hoped those closer to him could do more.

“Well that was lovely, thank you to both of you,” said Dusk. “We’ll have to do it again.”

“You got it. But next time, you’re paying for yourself, Mr Big Shot,” said Vinyl with a wink. “I’m not made of bits you know.”

“She says, despite being one of the most prolific performers in Equestria,” quipped Octavia.

“I’m torn between my loyalty to my wallet and my ego. Curse you, Tavi!”

“Don’t worry, Vinyl. I may not be a famous DJ but I do have my own income,” said Dusk. “Speaking of which, I must get going. Good day to you both.”

“See you, dude!”

“Ta-ta, Mr Noir.”

They waited until he was gone before looking at each other.

“You ever get a feeling there’s more to that guy than what he’s letting on?” asked Vinyl.

“In a rare occurrence, I believe you and I are on the same page,” said Octavia. “Then again, he and those other mares get into all sorts of shenanigans we’re not privy to. The burden of being the Elements of Harmony, I suppose.”

“Yeah, I guess.” Vinyl turned to her with a widening grin. “So, about those prints I mentioned…?”

Octavia sighed and wondered what she’d gotten herself into.


It had been a good day for Dusk Noir. He had fun with the Crusaders. He’d had a nice lunch with two ponies he’d be happy to see more of. Now, he was off to see one of the most special ponies in his life. Nothing could put a damper on his mood.

Until his hoof suddenly wasn’t treading on solid ground and he was falling in what looked like a swirling, purple void. Random things floated past. Pigs with wings. Clocks that ran backwards. Trees with their roots growing from the top and their leaves out the bottom. Even before he hit the ground and heard a familiar, oozing voice, Dusk knew what he’d stumbled into and who his host was.

“Dusky, old boy! It’s only been a few days but it feels like years.”

A pair of mismatched, yellow eyes studied him with glee. His snaggletoothed mouth was curved into a mischievous smirk and his long, snakelike body coiled around from his upside down pose to peer down at Dusk.

“Discord,” he muttered. “I take it that you have a reason for this?”

“Why, isn’t it customary for friends to have each other over for a little catch-up?”

Looking around, Dusk saw that he was indeed in a home. A home for a Lord of Chaos, certainly. The walls, ceiling and floor were all of clashing colours and textures. In fact, Dusk was certain the floor was on the ceiling. There was a staircase that didn’t lead anywhere, a purple vortex whirling around on the floor, a tree branch growing out of a wall mount and that was just what he could see. He also didn’t feel as tied down to the earth as he should be. If this even was earth.

“Well, usually,” he said while trying to right himself, “you ask somepony first before you bring them to your home.”

“Do you?” Discord shrugged. “Well, that’s certainly something I’ll be remembering for next time. After all, friendship is still so new to me. I would hate to get it wrong, wouldn’t you agree?”

“Well, quite. So,” he said, gesturing around, “this is your home?”

Discord nodded. “Yes, quite lovely, isn’t it? Although, I am thinking of expanding the kitchen area a bit, maybe knock a few walls down to really open the place up. Oh, but what a terrible host I’m being, going on like this. Can I offer you some refreshment? A cup of tea, glass of orange juice perhaps? Or maybe some of this?”

A glass appeared in front of Dusk. He squinted at the liquid inside and sniffed it.

“Um, Discord… what is it?” he asked.

“Well, it’s…” Discord trailed off and frowned. He took the glass and tapped. “It’s…” He took a sip from it and nodded. “It’s green!”

Dusk regarded it uncertainly. “I… see. Thank you, but I’ll believe I’ll pass.”

“Hmm, suit yourself.” He vanished it and took a seat which suddenly materialised behind him. “Well, well, isn’t this nice? Just two good friends, sat together and having a nice chat. You know, I could really get used to this. Oh, maybe we should invite everypony for a housewarming party! We can play Pin the Pony on the Tail!”

“Don’t you mean-?” Dusk was cut off when a chair barged into him from behind, forcing him to sit. “Don’t you mean Pin the Tail on the Pony?”

“I know what I said.”

Dusk sighed. “Discord, I don’t mean to be rude, but I was in the middle of something before this… get-together. If you have a point, could you please get to it?”

“Hmph, well you’re no fun,” he huffed. “You know, I’ve just been informed by Celestia that another old friend of mine is apparently back on the scene. He’s already made quite an impression or so I’m told.”

“Fallen Soul,” murmured Dusk. “You must be proud of your handiwork.”

“I’m sure I don’t know what you mean.”

“I know the story, Discord. I know what you did to him, in his darkest moment and how you turned him.”

“Yes, because it’s always the fault of somepony else like big bad Discord.” A sneer formed on his face. “Nopony could ever do something so terrible of their own accord, now could they?”

“I’m not in the mood for games. I want to know more about Soul. Where is he hiding? What’s he planning? What can you tell me?”

Discord shrugged. “Oh, absolutely nothing.”

“Discord…!”

He held up his claws. “I’m serious, I don’t know the answer to any of those questions! I’m not sure how he managed it, but he’s fallen off the radar entirely. I almost feel proud of him.”

It took all Dusk had to keep his composure.

“If you don’t know anything, then why did you bring me here?”

Discord wagged a finger. “Now, now, Dusk. Just because I don’t know anything, doesn’t mean I don’t know anything.”

“That doesn’t make any sense!” Dusk groaned as Discord raised an eyebrow. “Yes, I realise what just said.”

“Glad you do. Sometimes, the beauty of not making sense is seeing how it can. Take the recent bid for power by Queen Chrysalis.” He took off his horns and laid them over his heart. “Poor thing, she will be missed.”

“I didn’t realise you knew her.”

“Not during my time, but when I was stone, I always kept an ear low to the ground for potential portents of chaos. She had promise, but oh well. After all, her death couldn’t have been that tragic if she was one of the bad guys, could it?” he said with a chuckle.

“Discord…” Dusk sighed again. “I ask once more, what’s your point?”

“You should know by now, Dusk. Have you forgotten why it is the dear queen is no longer with us?” he asked.

“Believe me, I never have nor ever will. But what does Wrath have to do with it?”

“What indeed?” He started stroking his beard. “I mean, Fallen sets the whole thing in motion and all he gets out of it is a suit of armour and his weapon? Seems rather much for such things, if you ask me. Unless, of course, that isn’t all he got out of the arrangement.”

“What do you-?”

“As I understand it, the changeling Swarm is in quite a state currently. No definitive line of succession without a queen.” His smirk grew. “Or a princess.”

Dusk opened his mouth to speak, then realised what Discord was getting at. When he’d met Gilda in Canterlot, she’d told him about the Princess of the Swarm going missing.

“You think Soul took her?”

“Do I? Hmm, I suppose I do. Now, why would Fallen take such an interest in a member of changeling royalty, I wonder? I’m afraid I couldn’t possibly guess. Then again,” he added, “isn’t it remarkable how battle against Canterlot triggered the release of one of the most destructive forces in Equestria too. I imagine that would be quite an interest to some ponies…”

The implication chilled Dusk to the bone. He had seen first hoof the destructive power of the Demon Beast and the monster wasn’t even fully released. If Fallen’s plan tied into somehow acquiring it… the consequences could be disastrous.

“Anyway,” said Discord, “as you’ve said, you have other things going on today and I’ve taken up far too much of your time. Terribly sorry, Dusk, I’ll send you back right away.”

“What? No, Discord, this is important. You have to tell me-“

“Don’t you worry.” His malicious grin made itself known. “I’m sure we’ll be seeing each other, very soon.”

“Discord, wait-!” There was a blinding flash of light and when it cleared, Dusk was back in Ponyville. “Discord? Discord! Ugh, Luna blast that draconequus!”

He stamped his hoof, ignoring the stares he earned from the townsfolk. At least before his reformation, Dusk knew where he stood with the Lord of Chaos. Now, he couldn’t be certain if he was helping or poking and prodding for his own amusement.

Even if he was, the speculations he’d presented Dusk got him thinking. He knew that Fallen had to be motivated by revenge, yet so far he’d been behind three potential incidents that he could have taken advantage of and yet had done nothing. If he had a bigger plan, they hadn’t the faintest inkling of what it was. But this… this was worrying.

But what was he supposed to do with this information? For one thing, it was purely speculative and didn’t come from the most reliable of sources. Should he inform his friends or perhaps the princesses? If he did, what would that lead to? They still had no idea where Fallen or any of his associates were hiding. That wouldn’t get them anywhere. Maybe if they…

Dusk pressed a hoof to his head. For all he knew, this was exactly what Discord wanted. Nudge Dusk toward the deep end and watch how much he flailed about in the water. And he’d been having such a nice day…

“Hey Dusk!” Ray Strike had teleported next to him in a flash of yellow. “I just finished my daily exam with Twilight and she sent me to find you. Everypony else is gathered at the library. Hey you okay?”

Dusk realised he was staring at his friend. For a moment, he considered telling Ray what Discord had been talking about. But there was so much he didn’t know for certain, he didn’t want to cause him or anypony else unnecessary concern. He needed more time to really figure things out and for now, this distraction was welcome.

“Fine, mostly. Discord just decided to grace me with his presence,” he said.

“Oof, I know how that is. He say anything in particular?”

“I’ll tell you later. Let’s go and see what Twilight wants.”

“Sounds good. Hey Dusk?” Ray offered a smile. “It’s good to see you.”

Dusk blinked. “What brought this on?”

He smiled sheepishly. “I dunno, guess you and the girls are rubbing off on me. Felt weirdly sentimental for a moment and you looked like you could use it, especially after a moment with Discord. I promise, it won’t be a regular thing. Need to keep up that rough, manly persona, you know?”

“But of course. For the record, my friend, it’s good to see you too,” Dusk returned.

“Thanks, man. Also,” he said, planting a hoof on Dusk’s shoulder. “Teleport.”

A moment of physical disassembly and reassembly later, they were at the library. After taking a moment to adjust, Dusk saw all of his other friends were already there.

“There ya are, Dusk! Nice-a ya ta drop by,” greeted Applejack.

“To see you, AJ? Anytime,” he replied, offering a hoof bump. “I mean, I do work here so my presence is usually a given.”

“Okay, but be honest: how much of your time here is actually spent working?” asked Rainbow Dash with a teasing smile.

He pressed a hoof to his lips. “That’s between me and Twilight. Besides, I’m certainly more productive than you, Dash.”

“Ooh, shots fired, Dashie!” cried Pinkie Pie. “Gonna need some cream for that burn!”

“And who better to provide than the party pony herself?” He returned Pinkie’s hug when she gave it. “Just don’t go baking burn cream into pies.”

“Oh yeah, don’t want to make that mixup. Not again anyway,” Pinkie giggled.

“Besides, I think Dusk works hard a lot of the time,” said Fluttershy. “I’m sure taking a little time to relax wouldn’t hurt at all.”

Dusk smiled fondly at her. “I can always count on you to stick up for me, can’t I, little sister?”

“Always, big brother.” She hugged him too and looked to Ray. “Thanks for bringing him along, Ray. That was lovely of you.”

“Yeah, well always happy to help,” he said, his cheeks tinted red.

“Yes. Yes you are.” She fluttered over and kissed his cheek. “And we always appreciate it.”

Ray lost the ability to form comprehensible speech and settled for flustered stammering.

“Yes, I suppose that ruffian is good for some things,” remarked Rarity.

“I heard that, snob!”

“Yes, you were meant to.” She offered her hoof to Dusk. “A delight to see you as always, darling.”

“Likewise, madam.” Dusk took it and bowed his head. “Radiant as ever, I see.”

“As you are debonair, Dusk,” she returned. “Though you’d best save the charm for Twilight.”

“Oh, he’d better.” A pair of hooves hugged him from behind and a kiss was bestowed on his cheek. “Hello, dearest Dusk.”

He couldn’t keep the grin off his face. “Miss Sparkle, I find myself once again captured by your iridescent grace and limitless marvel. What ever shall I do?”

“Hmm, I can think of a few things.” She turned him around and briefly kissed his lips. “But that’ll have to wait. Spike, where are you?”

“Waiting for whatever that was to finish,” remarked the now adolescent dragon. His increased height placed him a little taller than Dusk but still within hoof bumping distance. “Hey bro! Good to see you.”

“Right back at you, bro,” said Dusk. “I have to admit, I’m still getting used to you being at eye level.”

“You’re not the only one,” he chuckled. “But some things haven’t changed. Look what just got delivered!”

He held up an opened scroll, the seal set next to it. Dusk recognised it.

“A message from Cadence?” he asked.

“Yep! It’s the reason I gathered you all here,” said Twilight to everypony else. “The Crystal Empire is being considered to host the Equestria Games!”

A chorus of excited chatter erupted from everypony, with Rainbow letting out a cry of “you’re kidding!” Dusk simply raised his eyebrows in mild interest.

“Indeed? I confess, even though I’m not really one for sporting events, I take it that hosting the Games would be a great boon to the Empire?”

“Are you kidding?” cried Rainbow. “The Games are more than just a sporting event! There isn’t a city in Equestria that wouldn’t want a chance to host it! After being gone for a thousand years, this is just what the Empire needs to really put it on the map!”

“But Dashie, it is on the map!” Pinkie whipped one out and pointed. “Right there, see?”

“You know what I mean,” said Rainbow, rolling her eyes. “Twilight, this is great! Oh oh, are we gonna get involved with it too?”

Twilight nodded. “That’s exactly what we’re going to be doing. You see, to have a chance at hosting the Games, they have to pass an evaluation by a specially selected inspector. Cadence has given us the job of preparing a welcoming committee for them, so we can show them the best of what the Empire has to offer.”

“Oh yeah! We are gonna blow them away!” Rainbow cheered. “What’s the plan?”

“That’s what we’re all here to discuss. We’ve got about a week to prepare and I’ve already planned an itinerary of what we need to have ready by the time we go to the Empire.” She gestured to Spike, holding a lengthy roll of parchment. “Let’s get started everypony!”

They all chorused an agreement and gathered around to begin. Though Discord’s words still echoed unpleasantly in Dusk’s mind, he found it easy to ignore them for the moment. Right here, right now, there was nothing more important than the ponies he called his friends.

Whatever would come, they would face it as they would now: together.

Author's Note:

And with that, we are officially back in business! Check out my latest blog post for what to expect from this series going forward :pinkiehappy: