• Published 27th Dec 2013
  • 3,246 Views, 301 Comments

A Ray of Dusk - AlphatheGriffin17



The changelings are gone, Canterlot is safe and the fighting is finished. Little do Dusk and his friends know that the battle is far from over and the war is just beginning.

  • ...
11
 301
 3,246

Shared Speculations

Sombra bade them a good night at their hotel, glad that they were all okay. But that was perhaps a relative term. Physically, apart from some minor injuries, they were fine. Mentally, there was a lot weighing on everyone’s thoughts. They all waited until they were in Rainbow’s room to talk.

“So, that wasn’t how I expected to be starting off this trip,” said Twilight.

“Yeah, sorry about that,” said Rainbow. “We were just lucky the timings worked out. Thanks for getting there so quick.”

“I’m never going to leave you in trouble, though I would like that explanation now. I got some of it in the theatre, but I’d also like the full story.”

“Yeah, me too. I just got in a fight with a bunch of creepy puppets and I’d kind of like to know why,” added Spike.

“Alright, sit yourselves down,” said Gilda. “This’ll take a bit.”

She started by telling them how she’d come across Samore and they’d been travelling together to get her to the princesses. Rainbow jumped in with her and Dusk’s part of how they get involved, with Dusk filling in how he’d been captured by Grace and Osteo, along with whom their allegiances were with.

“So they both work for Fallen Soul?” murmured Twilight. “Sounds like he’s gotten a lot more help than when we last saw him.”

“And some help!” added Gilda. “Rainbow wasn’t kidding about how much that Osteo dude can take a hit. I know I got him deep enough at one point to do some real damage, but he just shrugged it off like it was a paper cut.”

Twilight pressed a hoof to her chin. “Earth ponies can be strong, but there’s limits. Maybe it’s tied in to his special talent. Too bad their clothes were covering them up.”

“I wouldn’t be surprised if that was intentional,” said Dusk. “If your talent lies in some kind of combat, you don’t want your opponent to get an idea of what you can do.”

“Good point. Did you notice anything about him when you were fighting? Anything that might give away what he was doing?”

“Only that his bones were creaking more than Granny Smith’s rocking chair. Heck, probably even Granny Smith,” said Rainbow.

“Yeah, I noticed that too,” said Gilda. “You don’t think he can do some weird thing with his skeleton, do you?”

“It’s possible, but I’ve never heard of anything like that before. Conventional earth pony talents lie in growing and tilling the soil, not their own bodies,” noted Twilight.

“Maybe this guy’s different,” suggested Spike. “Equestria’s a big place and magic takes on all sorts of forms. You never know. Besides, that unicorn was way worse. Did you see the look on his face when I attacked his puppets?”

“That was probably the only time something got under his skin,” said Dusk. “I hate to think what other nasty surprises he had hidden inside them.”

“The guy said he put on puppet shows, right? Hate to see the audience after one of them, if that’s the kind of thing he’s doing.” Gilda frowned. “There was something else about him too. His scent.”

Rainbow raised her eyebrows. “What, you going up to him and smelling him now?”

“I’m a griffin, Dash. We got pretty keen senses of smell and I’m telling you, something was off about Grace’s. I could smell it, yeah, but it was… I dunno, muted somehow. Like it wasn’t anywhere near as strong as everyone else’s.”

“Maybe he just had a wash?” said Rainbow with a shrug.

“Nah, even when you wash, there’s still a smell. Just soapy and scented with flowers or whatever. That guy was barely giving off anything, other than running his mouth.” She rolled her eyes. “Guy just loved the sound of his own voice.”

“Good thing he did, otherwise I wouldn’t have been able to get myself into position.” Twilight looked pointedly at Rainbow. “I’m still not happy about ‘egghead’.”

“Oh come on, Twilight. Like Gilda said, it worked.”

“Since when did you agree with anything Gilda said?” she asked. “Last time I checked, the two of you weren’t exactly on speaking terms.”

“Yeah, well…” Rainbow managed a small smile. “Guess some things have changed.”

“If that’s what you wanna think,” remarked Gilda though Dusk could see she was smiling too.

“Well, I think it’s great the two of you are friends again,” said Twilight. “If you’re willing to look past her behaviour last time, I’m willing to give her another chance too.”

Gilda rolled her eyes. “Like I need your permission.”

“Gilda…” said Rainbow with a look.

“Right, right, sorry. Working on that. But uh, thanks. Twilight, right?” she asked. “Nice save again with Dusk.”

“Not bad for an egghead?” she asked, smirking.

“Yeah, something like that. Hey,” she continued, looking at Spike, “I swear you were smaller last time I saw you.”

“Glad you noticed.” He gave his arm a flex. “I’m not the same little dragon you remember from before.”

Gilda blinked. “What was your name again?”

“Hey!”

“Kidding, I’m kidding!” she said, punching his arm. “But hey, you’re really coming into your own, Spike. Never had a tussle with a dragon before and you really stepped up.”

Spike grinned. “Yeah, well, I’m not Twilight’s number one dragon assistant for nothing. You were great too, Gilda. Nice to have some griffin muscle with us.”

“Yeah, we’re pretty good to have in a fight. Lemme know if you ever need me for round two with that guy.” She slammed a fist into her open claw. “I’m itching to show him what I can really do.”

“That may happen sooner than you think and we haven’t even gone up against their leader yet,” said Twilight. “I still can’t figure out what he wanted with that changeling princess.”

“I’ve been wondering that same thing,” said Dusk. “Gilda, didn’t you say the changelings have been struggling without a definitive ruler?”

She nodded. “Yeah, it’s not great. There’s a real split between those most loyal to Chrysalis and those who want to make reparations and such. It’s bordering on civil war at this point.”

“Which would offer Soul a prime opportunity for control with possession of Samore, yet he’s failed to exploit that,” said Dusk. “Perhaps he hoped to ferment discontent and swoop in when they were at their most volatile?”

“Well, he’s missed his chance for that now. Hopefully, the Princesses will have her returned to her people and that’ll go some way to improving changeling/pony relations,” said Twilight.

“That doesn’t help us figure out what Fallen’s stake is in this,” Rainbow scowled. “The guy keeps showing up where there’s trouble, but he hasn’t actually done anything! I just wish he’d show his face so we can send him right back to Tartarus.”

Twilight grimaced. “I wouldn’t be so keen about that…”

“Oh sorry, Twilight. I forgot you’d seen him already.”

“Wait, you have?” asked Gilda. “When? What’s he like? If we’re going up against this guy, I want some idea of what we’re in for.”

“Hey, hold up, G,” said Rainbow. “Twilight doesn’t have to talk about it if she doesn’t want to.”

“No, it’s fine. She’s right. I just… give me a moment.” She took a breath. “It was… during the occupation of Canterlot. Chrysalis had brought me up to gloat and… I saw him. He was wearing armour, I didn’t see his face but… he was tall. As tall as Celestia and… he’s an alicorn too.”

Gilda’s eyes widened. “No kidding? Aren’t those, like, really rare or something?”

“They are, but somehow he managed to achieve that. That wasn’t all.” She gulped. “The changelings, even though he was helping them, they… they were all afraid of him. Even Chrysalis. She mentioned about escorting him back to the Hive with a couple of guards for the other part of their deal.”

“I’ll bet that was Samore,” said Spike.

“I’d agree. And… he spoke to me.” She shivered at the thought. “He asked if I believed my friends would come and save me. When I told him yes, h-he said something about our love shining like the stars and he looked at Celestia and he said… ‘even stars die’.”

“Whoa,” said Gilda quietly. “Guy talks a big game. Think he can back it up?”

“If the stories are anything to believe, he would be quite formidable,” said Dusk.

Gilda shrugged. “Well, that’s the thing about stories. They get blown way out of proportion a lot. You wait, we’ll give this guy what’s coming to him and that’ll be a story worth telling.”

“You really think so, Gilda?”

“Sure! I mean, now that you’ve got me on your side, he’s got no chance,” she said, grinning.

Rainbow nudged her shoulder. “There’s that griffin pride.”

As they all laughed, Dusk found his mind wandering to when Discord had spoken to him. About Fallen taking Samore and then he’d gone on to mention the appearance of Wrath at the battle’s conclusion. At the time, he put it down to Discord being Discord. But now… Sombra’s words about the tablet mentioning more than one Beast came to mind as well…

He remembered Samore. That purple mist emerging from her eyes, starting to envelope her body. It reminded him of something else. When Ray became angry and Wrath began to manifest from him. That blood-red glow, the sheen in his eyes. If Fallen’s goal was what he thought it was, then was it possible that…?

“Dusk? Dusk, is something the matter?”

He shook his head and realised Twilight was looking at him with concern. The others were too.

“You okay there, bro?” asked Spike. “You seemed pretty out of it.”

Dusk was going to tell them his thoughts, what he suspected. But looking around at them, they were all so worn out, so tired that he didn’t want to add another thing on top of it. Besides, for now they were still just suspicions. There could be other reasons for the things he’d seen. He’d tell them another time, a better time.

That was what he told himself, anyway.

“I’m fine. Just tired, I think,” he replied.

Rainbow nodded. “Yeah, I heard that. What that Grace guy did to get you was messed up, man. Glad you’re okay.”

“Well, with you looking out for me, how could I not be?”

She snickered. “Too true.”

“There’s something else I want to bring up too,” said Twilight. “I’m not sure about the rest of you, but I’m having second thoughts about the convention tomorrow.”

“What?!” Spike looked at her in shock. “Oh come on, Twilight! We came all this way, we can’t just miss it!”

“Spike, we were just in a fight with a pair of dangerous ponies. We were supposed to be getting away from this sort of thing and yet this is what we ended up with? Please tell me you understand what I mean.”

“I…” Spike sighed reluctantly. “Yeah, I get it.”

“I’ll be honest, after all that, I’m not sure I have the drive for the convention anymore either,” said Dusk.

“I get what you mean,” said Rainbow. “I know I was the one who got us into this mess, but I didn’t really have the energy for this in the first place. Just me rushing in, as usual.”

“Doesn’t help being wrong-hoofed by this in the case of me and Spike,” said Twilight. “Maybe we’d be better off just resting in our rooms tomorrow.”

A morose feeling settled over them. Even though they’d technically won, there was so much uncertain and that had arisen that it was difficult to feel good about it. That and despite what he had said earlier, part of Dusk had been looking forward to the next day. He and Rainbow had already really enjoyed themselves, even if it was cut short. But if this was the general mood…

“Are you serious?” Gilda was looking them incredulously at them. “Wow, just when I was starting to think you guys were cool. Don’t go spoiling it by acting like a bunch of dweebs.”

“Hey, lay off Gilda,” snapped Rainbow. “We’re not in the mood.”

“Too bad, because you’re gonna listen to what I have to say. We won! What have we got to feel sad about?!” She grinned fiercely. “We got Dusk back, those two punks were sent packing and Samore’s safe with your princesses! We should be celebrating! Osteo and Grace? I’ll bet they’d like nothing more than to think of us all being sorry for ourselves and worn down. So we show them that’s a load of crap. You guys are always going on about the magic of friendship, so come on! Let’s do this!”

Just like a switch had been flipped, the atmosphere was lifted. Even Dusk couldn’t deny the surge of energy he felt at seeing Gilda’s face and hearing her speech.

“Yeah… yeah, you’re right!” Rainbow’s grin matched hers. “We saved our friend and you got your job to help done! With a little help, of course.”

“Quite so,” said Dusk. “We’re already here and we’ve already paid for the two days. It’d be a shame to waste that.”

“Plus our costumes! No way am I missing the chance to show them off,” added Spike. “I mean, we’re going to have to get something for Gilda but what’s a convention without a last minute crunch the night before? I actually brought along a costume repair kit, just in case. We can cobble something together for her, no problem!”

“I don’t know…” Twilight was frowning. “I mean, I’d like to but…”

“Then what’s the problem?” Gilda crossed over to her. “You know what the problem is? You’re smart, I’ll give you that. But you think way too much.”

“Well, I won’t deny that I- hey, cut it out!” she yelped when Gilda rapped her skull.

“There, see? Doing it again. Come on, Sparkle!” She gripped her shoulders. “It’s just one day, so why not live it up? You can chill all you want when you’re back home, but not before we take a big bite out of tomorrow! Whaddya say?”

“Okay, okay, you’ve convinced me, Gilda.” She wriggled free of her grip and smiled. “You know, when I saw how you behaved, I couldn’t understand how Rainbow had been friends with you. I’m starting to see why now. Thank you.”

“Yeah, well…” Gilda’s face flushed red. “You’re welcome, I guess. Don’t think I’m going soft on you ponies. Just didn’t want to see you all sad for no reason.”

“Well, I’m definitely not sad anymore.” Twilight stood up and put on a deep, raspy voice. “Well my fellow Decepticons! Let us show Balti-Fan-Con just what we can do!”

The five of them cheered and moved with new energy. It would be a close thing, but Dusk had a feeling they’d be able to manage.

“Come on Gilda!” Spike ushered her to the door. “I’ve got what we need in mine and Twilight’s room. We’ll see if we can whip something up for you.”

“Awesome, gonna be going along with dweeb patrol,” she remarked with a smirk. “It’s cool though, I’m sure I can lift up your status.”

“Gee thanks. You guys go on ahead,” said Rainbow. “I wanna talk with Dusk real quick.”

Twilight looked concerned but she didn’t ask and left with Gilda and Spike. Dusk turned to look at his friend.

“So that happened,” she remarked. “You sure you’re okay, dude? We’ve all been through a pretty rough time of it.”

“To say the least. I am a little shaken, I won’t lie. But I’ll be alright,” he said. “What about you?”

“Yeah, I’m good. Just a lot to deal with. The princess, those guys, Gilda…” A pensive expression came to her face. “Dusk, can I ask you something? It’s… it’s about Ray.”

Dusk felt a little surprised, but nodded. He gestured for them to take a seat in the chairs the hotel provided and waited her to sit down.

“What brought this on?” he asked.

“I guess everything with Gilda, just made me think about some stuff. Just… gimme a sec to get the words out?”

Dusk nodded and waited for her to speak.

“Look, I… you know I haven’t been great with… what he told us. I mean… he killed ponies, dude!” She kept her voice at a whisper but Dusk knew she was holding back from yelling. “Like, how do you even deal with that?! I get the whole thing with Wrath and everything but I didn’t think that… you know…”

Dusk nodded in understanding. Even with his perspective and feelings towards Ray, the news had been a lot to take in, for all of them. Most of the others had already accepted and understood the circumstances but still…

The ponies in question had unintentionally killed those Ray considered family in a botched raid. The anger that came as a result fed into the Demon Beast, Wrath. Driven by the demonic manifestation, Ray had taken out his feelings on the would-be thieves.

Rainbow had taken it the worst. She was one of the closest to Ray and had already had her view of him questioned when she learned about Wrath. This had been much worse. In fact, this was the first time she’d actually talked about it since it happened.

“Rainbow, I… I know this isn’t easy. It hasn’t been for any of us,” said Dusk. “I suppose the only way I can think of is… how did you deal with what I did to you as Doom?”

“Oh yeah, fun times,” she remarked sarcastically. “Well, for one thing my wings got better. And I guess… when I saw you, lying there and hooked up to those machines, then what you did when you first woke up… it was hard to hold onto that. You still should have told us, but I get why you didn’t. And seeing you so beaten up and broken, I knew he’d hurt you too. You didn’t ask for any of that. None of us did, with what Discord brought out. That whole thing was messed up.”

“I’m sorry I never told you, but I appreciate that,” said Dusk. “I don’t want to tell you what to do, Rainbow. You’re right to feel as you do. But Ray never asked for the life he’s led either, nor for that monster to be shackled with him. Quite frankly, it’s amazing that Wrath wasn’t fully unleashed when that happened. I don’t think I would have been able to cope. I couldn’t even cope with Doom rattling away in my head for a few months and Ray is about the same age as me.”

“Yeah, I guess,” she murmured. “But it’s not your fault. What happened with Doom, I mean. That guy was bad enough when he came out to play. Can’t imagine what it was like having to literally live with him.”

“And that’s probably how Ray feels about Wrath. He’s a big part of how I was able to reconcile with what happened,” said Dusk. “I’m not saying that you have to go and forgive him or be his friend again. But given all that he’s done for us in the past and that he didn’t even have to tell us about what happened anyway, perhaps don’t judge him too harshly. But it’s up to you in the end, Rainbow.”

“Alright. Thanks, man. I guess…” She sighed and scowled. “Like, I’m the Element of Loyalty. I’m supposed to stick with my friends, right? And I do. I know I’m not always the best, but I’d never leave any of you in the lurch. But it makes me think… do I have to always do that?”

“Not at all,” said Dusk at once. “Somepony once said to me a while ago that I’m more than just my Element of Harmony. I’ve realised that they’re right and it’s not just me. It goes for all of us. Rarity has moments of selfishness, Applejack isn’t always entirely truthful and even Pinkie has her bad days. We’re all just ponies in the end, Rainbow and nopony is perfect. Or griffin, or dragon. But that doesn’t stop us from trying to be the best we can, anyway.”

Rainbow stared at him in the wake of this. Then she chuckled.

“Wow, look at you. When did you get so smart?” she asked, rubbing his head with her hoof.

“I seem to recall that I’ve earned the moniker of ‘egghead’ from you more than once,” he returned, ruffling her mane too.

“Yeah, but it’s a pretty cool thing.” She approached him with a hug. “Seriously, thanks Dusk. That helped, like a lot.”

“Anytime, Rainbow Crash,” he said with a small laugh. “Now, shall we go and equip your Seeker for combat?”

“Aw yeah!” Rainbow’s excitement was very evident. “Time to transform and rise up!”


The Pegasus pony Singer looked around at the gathered ponies. The meet he’d organised for fellow fans looked like it was going well. It was a fairly small gathering, but it was still cool to see even this many turn out. He’d found a couple more Primes, a few more ponies as Autobots like Blaster and Wheeljack. A few Decepticons turned out too, recognising Black Arachnia and Barricade. There was some fun in-character banter going on too.

He was disappointed that the pair he’d seen yesterday were nowhere to be seen. He’d overheard they’d apparently left early the day before after some kind of commotion. He didn’t know the details, but he hoped they were okay.

“Hey Singer!” His brother Brawn approached, still dressed as Ironhide. “We’ve got a photographer here who wants to snap a few pics. Want to get everypony organised?”

“Sounds good to me,” he nodded. “Alright guys, let’s get ready to-!”

“Prime! You thought you could escape us so easily!” a familiar voice cried out. “But now you will be prepared to fall before Starscream’s might!”

He grinned and looked to see the mare from yesterday, back in her uniform and standing alongside the stallion as Soundwave. The cocky smirk she wore was just too perfect.

“Starscream,” he called back, putting on Prime’s voice, “I thought you had learned your lesson. Tell me, have you come to surrender?”

She barked a laugh. “In your pathetic dreams, Prime. It is time to prove Decepticon air superiority! Skywarp, to me!”

A griffin soared from nearby, dressed in the boxy purple and grey of the Seeker subordinate. It looked a little less polished and refined than the other too, but that didn’t seem to get the griffin down.

“Right behind you, Scream!” She slammed a fist into her claw. “You Autobrats ready for a real smackdown?”

“You Seekers are full of hot air!” crowed Comet, their trio’s Bumblebee. “You’re no match for us!”

“On the contrary, scout,” intoned a cold voice.

It came from a dragon, decked out entirely in purple. Instead of a hand, his left hand was a blaster and his face was a single, glowing yellow optic. It swept across the group, looking at them like specimens in a lab.

“You are advised to stand down now, Autobots,” said ‘Shockwave’. “Any battle against us would go against every convention of logic. You cannot win.”

“Affirmative,” intoned ‘Soundwave’. “Ravage, Laserbeak, Ratbat, Rumble, eject. Operation: Annihilation!”

The watching ponies all remarked in amazement as the mini-cons popped out and unfolded, looking ready for a fight.

“The Autobots fight with more than logic, one eye!” retorted Singer’s brother as Ironhide. “Just try it and you’ll find out.”

A deep-chested, mocking laughter came out from behind the ‘Decepticons’. They stepped aside to allow the one making it to take their place at the head.

A purple unicorn mare, decked out in grey armour with a massive cannon on her right foreleg, glared contemptuously at them. A square shaped helmet covered her head and she locked her gaze on Singer. A few of the group’s Decepticons, getting into what was happening, went to stand with their faction, buzzing with excitement.

“Optimus!” she called out with false politeness. “Been well? I hope so. Maybe you’ll stand a chance against me this time.”

“Megatron,” growled Singer. “Is there no end to your treachery?”

“Not as long as there is still life in my spark, Prime!” she retorted. “Long have I waited for this day and now, I can finally see the light leave your eyes!”

“You see, Prime?” shrieked ‘Starscream’. “You cannot hope to stand against the might of-!”

“Starscream, be silent, you fool!” she barked. “When I want your input, I shall ask for it but until I do, hold your tongue or I’ll remove it!”

‘Starscream’ stammered but clamped her mouth shut, glaring at her leader. Next to her, ‘Skywarp’ sniggered.

“Megatron!” Singer called. “Today you will answer for your crimes against Cybertron and Equestria. One shall stand…!”

“And one shall fall: you, Optimus Prime!” she finished. “Decepticons! Attack!”

At her command, ‘Soundwave’ pressed his chest. A familiar guitar riff started and those listening cheered.

You got the touch!
You got the power!

“Autobots, roll out!” Singer cried.

The two groups surged towards each other and Singer vaguely acknowledged camera flashes going off.

“This is such a great day!” he cheered.


“Well that was an awful day,” muttered Grace, polishing the burns off his creation.

“Because of you,” said Osteo. “You allowed our enemies to outwit us.”

“Oh hush. You’re not blameless either,” he retorted.

Osteo nodded. “No, I am not. I believed I had ascertained their purpose. I had, but too late. But a good warrior learns from his failings and uses them to succeed.”

“Well, isn’t that inspiring?”

Osteo lapsed into silence while Grace resumed his polishing. They had managed to escape using the sewer system. Apparently, Osteo had taken the time beforehand to memorise a route from near the theatre to the city’s outskirts prior to the plan just in case. Much as Grace wouldn’t admit it, that was some good thinking.

Even so, their escape had been close. Once Grace had overheard through one of his puppets that the unicorn had summoned royal aid, he’d tried to act to secure the princess. But something had happened and they simply couldn’t afford to stick around.

They only realised after the unicorn and Pegasus engaged them at the convention who they were dealing with. Neither of them had expected to encounter the Elements of Harmony during this, much less the students of the princesses themselves. They’d done their best to work within the situation, of course and there was no changing what had happened. They’d be more prepared next time. A lot of unexpected things had happened…

He remembered what he saw through his puppet’s eyes. That strange build-up of energy and the expansion of that protective barrier. That kind of magic wasn’t branded on just anypony. Whatever that changeling had locked away inside her, it was powerful and if Fallen was planning to harness it…

“Oh yes,” he remarked. “I don’t imagine our illustrious leader will be all too happy about this turn of events.”

“That much is obvious,” agreed Osteo. “I will be prepared to accept what is due for my failure.”

Grace huffed. “You were the foal in school who reminded the teacher when they had homework due and they’d forgotten, weren’t you?”

“It would be pointless to attempt deceiving him. Unless you intend to pass off one of your puppets as our captive,” he said dryly.

“Was that a joke?”

“There is nothing humorous about this.” He started to stand. “We should go. Our master must be informed of what has happened.”

“I suppose we’ll need to face the music,” agreed Grace.

“Indeed. It was still a good fight,” he said. “I look forward to proving my mettle against them again.”

“Yes,” said Grace, taking one last look at his singed creation. “I feel the same way.”


Luna watched the prone changing, floating eerily in the centre of her protective barrier. Still no sign of it lowering or weakening. Even so, she would be safe here in the secure wing of the palace. All that remained was to discuss the matter with her sister, who had been awoken upon the changeling’s arrival.

She secured the door, nodded to the guards and set off. Aside from updating Celestia, she had suspicions of her own. The kind of magic that was protecting Samore could have only been performed by a select few and she had a strong feeling as to whom, especially given what she’d been told not too long ago. She entered her sister’s quarters, noting the presence of a spell on the room that would suppress all sound that might leave it.

To anypony else, Celestia’s expression was her usual mask of gentle reassurance. But Luna could see the little things. The lack of even a polite smile. The slight narrowing of her eyes. Her sister evidently had a great deal on her mind, more than usual.

“Have we confirmed her identity?” asked Luna.

Celestia nodded. “It’s her. Princess Samore of the Swarm. Ambassador Parlix, the current acting head of their colony, has already been informed. I’ve assured him she is secure but that she has suffered great injury and is being cared for her, meaning she can’t be moved.”

“Did they believe you?”

“He did, though I can’t speak for the entirety of their court. Parlix has insisted on a personal visit to verify and I’ve granted that to him, provided certain provisions are agreed to. I’ll be going over them in greater detail tomorrow.”

“That should be reasonable, given what happened the last time changelings were in this city,” said Luna. “According to my student and his friends, she was being pursued by associates of Fallen Soul. The unicorn is Ligne Grace, formerly a travelling performer last seen in Trotdon on Hearth’s Warming. He is apparently the lead suspect in a number of missing pony’s cases, but there is nothing solid connecting to him other than circumstance.”

“I don’t know the name, I’m afraid. And the other?”

“An earth pony identified as Osteo. So far, we’ve been unable to match his name or description to any known ponies but we will keep trying.”

“A curious pair he has brought to him, though I doubt it’s just them.” She crossed to her balcony. “Even so, it’s more than we knew before and when the princess awakes, we will hopefully learn more.”

“Indeed.” Luna went out to join her. “The ward that is protecting her is far from common magic. It is itself changeling in origin, yet there is something more to it I cannot put my hoof on it.”

“I see,” murmured Celestia. “Chrysalis evidently went to great lengths to protect her daughter.”

Luna quirked an eyebrow. “Yet she seemed ready to trade her away for personal gain.”

“Perhaps this was her way of offering some kind of protection for her,” said Celestia. “It is a twisted kind of love, but one that can’t be put past her.”

Luna remained silent. She wanted to press for more, though she couldn’t help but was reluctant. She knew that her sister was aware of what she was thinking, about Samore’s nature. That the ward may not be to keep others out, but something else in.

But it went unspoken. For now, at least.

“Events are moving fast, sister,” Celestia continued. “Far faster than I had anticipated. I think that, perhaps, the time has come.”

There was a flash of yellow magic and a book appeared before them. One with a dark cover and frayed, ancient pages. A familiar symbol was on it, a small gathering of stars with swirls of magic curled around them.

“Do you believe she is ready?” asked Luna.

“As ready as she will ever be,” answered Celestia. “I have every faith in my student and those closest to her. Do you not?”

“I do, but even so…” Luna frowned. “Are you certain there is no way we can involve ourselves?”

Celestia’s expression was firm, yet regretful. “It wouldn’t be much of a test if she had help from either of us. We can only watch and wait, whatever the outcome may be.”

Much as she didn’t want to, Luna had to agree. Even so, her heart went out to Twilight, Dusk and those they knew. She knew the significance of what lay in those pages, yet it remained inert when either she or Celestia had tried to use it. Perhaps they would see something they hadn’t.

That was her sincere hope, at any rate.

The two royal sisters gazed out over the balcony, as still and eternal as the mountains upon which their city was built.

Author's Note:

Next chapter will be uploaded next Friday. See you soon!