• Published 27th Dec 2013
  • 3,229 Views, 301 Comments

A Ray of Dusk - AlphatheGriffin17



The changelings are gone, Canterlot is safe and the fighting is finished. Little do Dusk and his friends know that the battle is far from over and the war is just beginning.

  • ...
11
 301
 3,229

A Crystal Carol

"Hey Dusk, you done writing that letter yet?" Spike asked.

"Not yet, but I can put it on hold for a moment." He placed the quill back in its ink pot. "What did you need?"

Spike stood by the Hearth's Warming tree they'd been decorating over the course of the day. It was nearly complete except for one decoration and Spike was currently holding it in his claws. It was definitely one he needed help placing.

Dusk's horn glowed and his aura surrounded Spike, levitating him gently off the ground. Spike held the star close to his body until he reached the top and carefully placed it on the very top of the tree. He beamed proudly.

"All finished!" He waited until he was back on ground level and stood back to admire their work. "The perfect tree."

"I find it hard to argue with that," agreed Dusk. "Anything else you needed?"

"Nah, I'm good." He clapped his claws together. "Time to go check on my Hearth's Warming cookies!"

"If they're anything like your nachos, I'm looking forward to them," said Dusk.

Spike whistled a Hearth's Warming Carol as he descended the stairs and Dusk returned to his letter. He wrote the final line, wishing his parents well and to have a merry holiday and signed it with his name. He sealed it in an envelope, making a mental note to deliver it at the earliest opportunity and followed Spike.

The library itself was in the final stages of being decorated for Hearth's Warming. The staircase had been decorated with tinsel, as had the spaces between bookshelves. The bookshelves themselves were decorated with stars, which also hung from the ceiling along with a sprig of mistletoe over every door.

Seeing one, Dusk got an idea. He quietly looked around and found Twilight in the next room, hanging up another pair of stars from the ceiling. He stood back from the door and cleared his throat.

"Twilight? Could you come here for a moment please? I need your help with something," he called.

"Be there in a sec!" she replied. He waited until he heard her hooves approach before meeting her in the doorway. "What did you need?"

"Just to check something," he said, with a half-lidded look. "To make sure this decoration invokes the appropriate reaction."

His eyes flickered up. Hers did too and her cheeks flushed red when she saw what he was referring to. But she returned his gaze and smiled.

"Hmm. Let's see." Their lips met in a kiss that bordered on passionate. "Yes, I'd say that it's working perfectly, wouldn't you?"

"I couldn't agree more."

Dusk glimpsed behind Twilight to see Spike coming from the kitchen, rolling his eyes.

"You know, normally I'd make some kind of comment on how gross you two are being buuut…" He smiled. "I'm gonna let it slide, seeing as how it's that time of year."

"And we're ever so grateful for your patience and tolerance, Spike," giggled Twilight. "Mmm, those smell good."

"I know, right?" Spike smacked his lips. "Sometimes, I have to reason with myself that I'm not that good but I know! Deep down… that I am that good!"

The two of them didn't make any comment. Mainly because they'd both taken bites out of cookies he'd offered to them and found themselves mentally agreeing with his declaration anyway. The look on Spike's face told him they had too.

"Delicious, Spike," complimented Twilight. "Is there enough here for everypony?"

"Yep. I baked two batches, just to be on the safe side," he said. "There'll be some for the princesses too when we go and see them in Canterlot."

"It'll be nice to spend the holiday season with them this year, along with our friends," said Dusk. "At least there's no gauntlet to run this time around."

Twilight scoffed. "Oh come on, meeting my parents wasn't that bad!"

"You mean apart from when I was attacked by a rogue member of the Guard and almost gave in to the psychotic pony that lived in my head?"

"Fair point," admitted Twilight. "But no chance of that this year. Just in case, I'm not letting you out of my sight."

"That arrangement works with me," said Dusk brightly.

Spike opened his mouth to say something, but suddenly lurched forward and belched. A scroll formed from the smoke and landed before them.

"A letter? From the princess?" Twilight picked it up and examined the seal of a snowflake. "Wait, this is the seal of the Crystal Empire. It's from Cadence!"

She hurriedly unfurled the message and read aloud:

Dear Twilight, Spike and Dusk

I'm sorry I haven't been in touch for a while. Being in charge of the Crystal Empire really takes it out of you and doesn't leave much time for anything resembling a social life. But now it's the holidays, Shining and I have a lot more time off and really want to use it to catch up with you all.

That's why we've decided to host a Hearth's Warming Day party in the Crystal Empire for you and all of your friends. I'm sorry if this is a little last minute, but we only just managed to make the arrangements. I'd understand if you couldn't make it, but it would be really great to see you again and to show you how much the Empire has changed since you last visited. There's a very special surprise for you, Spike.

Looking forward to seeing you soon and Happy Hearth's Warming!

Love from

Princess Cadence and Prince Shining Armour.

"Oh, this holiday just got even better!" she cheered. "A party with my sister-in-law and my big brother in the Crystal Empire! This is the best news I could have gotten!"

"'A very special surprise?' For me? In the Crystal Empire?" Spike looked shocked. "How come I'm only hearing about this now?!"

"Well then, we can go and find out what it is too!" suggested Twilight excitedly, practically bouncing on her hooves. "It'll be so good to see them again!"

"I'd be happy to see them too. But," he said pointedly, placing a hoof on her shoulder to calm her down, "we already told Celestia and Luna we'd be joining them in Canterlot. Remember?"

"Oh. Yeah." Twilight sobered and giggled sheepishly. "Sorry. Got a little bit excited there."

"It's fine. You're cute when you get excited like a little filly," he said. "What do we do about this then?"

"Empire!" Spike declared. "I wanna see my surprise!"

"Hold on, Spike. Like Dusk said, we've already made arrangements," said Twilight. "It'd be really rude of us to just cancel on the princesses just like that."

"But everypony is on holiday, the princesses too!" insisted Spike. "And Cadence is Celestia's niece! I'll bet you thirty fire rubies that she's invited them to this party too!"

"He does have a point," agreed Dusk. "Still, if she hasn't… I was looking forward to seeing Luna this season."

"She will have, I know it! Come ooooon, guys!" he pleaded. "We spent last year in Canterlot and the year before that here! Let's go somewhere different again and make it the Empire! Pleeeeeease?"

He clapped his claws together, fell on his knees and gazed up at them with big puppy dog eyes. Dusk could have sworn he heard him whimpering too. He glanced at Twilight who rolled her eyes and smiled.

"Oh, fine then," she conceded. "I'll write a letter to the princesses and tell them we've changed our plans, then send one to Cadence and tell her we'll see them tomorrow on Hearth's Warming Day!"

"Alright! I'll go grab a quill, ink and parchment!" In a flash, Spike was off.

"Dusk, would you mind going to see our friends and telling them about what's happening?" she asked. "We'll need to get up pretty early if we want to travel to the Empire in good time."

"My pleasure," he said. "See you in a bit."

He quickly kissed her cheek, grabbed his scarf and trotted out into the snow-covered streets. He shivered from the brisk cold and made his way through town.

Dusk was in high spirits with this time of year rolling around again. Yet another festive season to be spent with his closest and best friends. Even with all that had happened, that wasn't going to stop them from enjoying the holidays.

With Ray's house being the closest, he made his way there first. He knocked on the door and waited. As he did, he took note of how much Ray's home stood out. While every other home he'd past on the way here had some degree of decoration, Ray's house was completely bare. Not one single ornament.

He chose not to dwell on it. He waited a bit longer, but Ray didn't arrive at the door. He knocked again, a little louder. This time, he only had to wait a few seconds before hearing what sounded suspiciously like a teleport and a stumble on the other side of the door. Shortly thereafter, it opened, revealing his friend with a rather apologetic grin on his face.

"Oh, hey Dusk!" Ray said, opening the door wider for him. "Sorry about that, I was a bit… uh, preoccupied."

"Should I come at a better time?" asked Dusk with a smirk.

"I don't know what's going on in your head right now, but no, it's fine. I was just writing upstairs." He tapped his nose in satisfaction. "I recently smashed down the metaphorical brick wall of writer's block, and I've been on a roll for the past day. And I didn't hear you knock the first time as a result. Come on in."

"Thank you." Upon entering, Dusk noticed that the interior of his home was just as devoid of decorations as the exterior. "I just came by to tell you an important update."

"Oh?" Ray closed the door behind him and turned to face Dusk. "Well, don't keep us in suspense," he said in a gleeful tone that Dusk knew the reference to. He smiled and continued.

"Plans have changed regarding Hearth's Warming. Good news for you, you might say, we're not going to Canterlot anymore," he said. "Cadence and Shining have invited us to the Empire to have the celebrations there instead."

"Oh. Well that's cool," Ray shrugged. "Better than going to Canterlot anyways. Might be nice to see Cadence and Shining again too. You know, when there isn't a life-or-death ordeal going on."

"Don't worry. As far as I know, we should be fine," said Dusk.

"Awesome. Then...great news. I'll get to be surrounded by shiny rocks instead of pompous elite. An improvement, I'd say."

Dusk frowned a little. He wasn't really expecting this reaction. He didn't seem especially excited, considering the news.

"Are you feeling alright, my friend?" he asked.

"Hmm? Yeah, why?" Ray cocked his head slightly.

Dusk was about to reply, but stopped. Maybe he was looking into this too much. It could be that Ray was just engrossed in his writing and wanted to get back to it. He had the holidays off work, so he probably had taken the time to catch up and was maybe perturbed at the interruption.

"Never mind, it's nothing. I won't keep you from your work," he added. "Now, I need to go and inform everypony else. Oh and word to the wise, set an alarm clock. Twilight expects to be at the train station at an early hour."

"And we wouldn't want to be late on her," he deadpanned. "Alright, duly noted. I'll get to bed early tonight… or I'll try, anyways."

"Excellent." Suddenly, he had an idea. "Oh and perhaps you might do one little favour for me. Not right now, but at some point today."

"Shoot."

"Well, I need to to tell all of our friends, but Fluttershy is a little out of my way," he said casually. "Would you mind going and tell her what I told you? It would make things easier for me, you understand."

"Uhh…" A blush slowly made its way onto Ray's face. "Well, uh… sure, I guess. I'd be happy to. You know, because… yeah. Sure."

"Much appreciated. Have a good day, Ray." He tipped his hat and stepped back outside, making a mental note to save Rarity for last. At least there was the chance for a warm cup of tea at the end.


Fluttershy happily sang out loud while she decorated her home for the holiday season. She'd already finished with the little tree she had in her living room and was hanging tinsel around the room. She was even dressed for the season. She wore a green sweater and a pair of deer antlers on her head.

Any other time of year, she would be embarrassed to wear something like this. But at Hearth's Warming, she barely gave it a second thought.

It did her good to keep her spirits up anyway. It was winter and that meant most of her animal friends were slumbering away in hibernation, waiting for spring to be woken up. Even Angel wasn't around. Things were a lot quieter in her cottage than they normally would be and she did miss looking after them.

But that didn't mean there weren't some good things about this time of year that she loved and she was going to enjoy them no matter what.

She jumped when she heard a knock at her door, but smiled at the prospect of visitors.

"Coming!" she called. She opened it and beamed. "Ray! What a lovely surprise!"

Ray, surprisingly, wasn't wearing anything other than a pair of boots and a small sack that Fluttershy knew from experience he kept some of his writing supplies in. He didn't reply immediately, instead looking at her with an odd expression, before it turned into a smile as he chuckled.

"I'd say the same, but in your case it's more of a… cute surprise." He grinned with a slight blush. "Is that what you're wearing today?"

"Mmhmm." She blushed a little too. "Call it the spirit of the season. You… you like it?"

"Well, like I said, it's cute. The antlers are a nice touch. All you need now is a giant red nose." He paused. "Umm… that's not the wrong story, is it? I get them mixed up sometimes."

"No, it's the right one," she giggled. "Please, come in. You must be freezing."

"Oh, not really," he said as he walked inside. She noticed that he really didn't seem to be shivering very much. "Hate to admit it, but there are… some perks to having an angry animal in my head. Not getting cold very easily happens to be one of them. Saves me money on buying a coat or a scarf, anyways. Not to say I don't appreciate the toastiness of being inside somepony's home," he added, smiling sweetly at her.

"Well, at least he's good for something." She fluttered to the kitchen. "Can I get you some tea? Something to eat?"

"Sure, if that's alright. No preference really, it's good if it's coming from you."

Fluttershy blushed again and poured a two cups for them both, adding some tree-shaped biscuits to go along with them. They sat down together on the couch in silence for a bit before Fluttershy spoke again.

"So, what brings you here? Not that I mind or anything," she added.

"Right. So, uh, update regarding the group's plans for Hearth's Warming. We are no longer going to Canterlot," he informed her casually.

"Oh dear!" she cried. "Oh no! Is it something bad? Is everypony okay? Oh my…"

"Calm down Flutters, take a breath," he instructed. She did so, breathing in and out deeply a few times. Once she was calm again, he continued. "The reason for that is because, apparently, we're going to the Crystal Empire instead to see Cadence and Shining."

That news perked her up. "Really? Oh, how wonderful! What a beautiful place to visit for the holidays! I hope the princesses aren't disappointed though."

"Eh, I'm sure they've got plenty of things to keep themselves occupied. And if not, hey; maybe they'll finally realize what a bunch of sticks-in-the-mud the Canterlot elite are and make some changes. That'd be nice."

"I suppose it's a good thing we weren't with the elite last year then," she said. "Remember? We had our own little gathering instead."

"Really hard to forget. Me, Pinkie, and Rainbow gave a new meaning to "pie in your face" that I didn't realize could work in that context. And before that, I also got to see you up on stage, along with all the others. Very eventful."

"I'm glad you thought so." Feeling brave, she snuggled in closer. "I'm happy you decided to come visit me, Ray."

He grinned, this one both flustered and happy. "No prob, Flutters. How are you doing, by the way? I noticed the lack of animals attacking me on the way in."

"Oh Ray, they're not all vicious," she reminded him. "Some of them are just a little… skittish."

"More like scared mindless of me and my tenant and either hiding away or trying to protect their young," he remarked sourly. "Doesn't matter though. You alright being by yourself this time of year?"

"I'm fine," she said. "I get a little lonely sometimes without them. But it's nice to have some time to myself and time to relax. As fun as it is caring for all my animal friends, I can get a little worn out sometimes. Besides, there's still a few that don't hibernate, like foxes and squirrels, so I'm not completely without company. And I get to spend more time with my pony friends too. That's why I love Hearth's Warming. I love the holiday spirit."

"...yeah. Holiday spirit…" Ray trailed off, taking another bite out of his biscuit in an attempt to disguise it.

It didn't escape Fluttershy, however. She noticed his peculiar lack of enthusiasm.

"Ray? Is there something wrong?"

"I'm, uh…" he paused for a minute before sighing. "I'm fine, Flutters. Really. Just some more slight baggage, I'll get over it. Don't want to bother you with it."

"Um, Ray… I don't mean to sound forceful but I'm your… m-marefriend." The idea was still pleasantly strange to her. "If you want to talk to me about something, you can. I would have before as your friend but now we're… closer… it's even more true. I mean, that's how I see it…"

"Y-yeah, I, uh… I see what you mean," he stuttered himself as his own cheeks turned red. "It's not that big of an issue, honestly. Just, I have a bit of trouble… you know, getting into the holiday spirit. You can probably imagine why. Don't worry, it's not gonna turn into another birthday episode. I promise."

Fluttershy was still a little concerned. But he was right. He wasn't like how he was on his birthday. He wasn't pretending to be happy, he just wasn't very enthusiastic. She was a little sad he wasn't into the holiday spirit, but she could look past it.

"Okay," she said. "But remember that if you want to talk about anything, you can come to me. If you want."

"Of course. You're right at the top of my 'spill your heart out to' list, trust me," he laughed.

"Good. I'll do my best to make you feel better." Gathering up a little more courage, she lightly kissed his cheek. "Did um, that help?"

"Very much so. I feel warm and cuddly inside," he assured her, nuzzling her slightly in response.

She giggled and got up. "You know, I was just about to start cooking dinner and since you're here… I could make enough to serve two. I-If you'd like to stay, that is."

Ray chuckled again, something she was starting to really love the sound of, before responding. "How can I say no?"


Twilight wasn't joking when she said they had to get up early. At seven o clock on Hearth's Warming Day, Dusk clambered out of bed and spent a few drowsy minutes dragging himself to the bathroom to soak his face in cold water to wake himself up.

But the early rise time didn't seem to have put a damper on anypony's mood when he reached the train station. Contrary to his expectations, Twilight wasn't the first there, but Pinkie was.

"Well, of course I am!" she said happily. "Not only am I going to be spending Hearth's Warming with all my bestest friends and not only is it going to be a party, but it's a party with all of my bestest friends in the CRYSTAL EMPIRE! I COULD BARELY SLEEP!"

"How indeed?" He opened his forelegs for a hug. "Happy Hearth's Warming, Pink-"

He was cut off by the death grip of a hug that Pinkie grabbed him in. "Happy Hearth's Warming, Dusky! This is gonna be soooo much fun!"

"If… I… live… to see it," gasped Dusk.

Twilight and Spike arrived moments later. Applejack was another who didn't mind getting up early, arriving awake and cheerful. Rainbow showed up yawning and looking like she might fall asleep on the spot. Fluttershy came next, wearing a colorful scarf and humming cheerfully as she greeted them. After Ray arrived, with a slumped posture and his mane looking even more disheveled than usual (if that were possible), Rarity was the last one there, insisting that she had to make herself look perfect before coming and wearing her festive Hearth's Warming tree hat. Nopony was all that surprised.

The time spent waiting for the train was talking excitedly. By the time it arrived and they'd got on, they were still talking and nopony was all that drowsy anymore. Rainbow did have a short nap on the train, but after about half an hour, she was back to discussing what the Empire would be doing for Hearth's Warming.

As before, Ray did talk but it wasn't with any real enthusiasm about the seasonal spirit. He still looked like he was enjoying himself, but not so much with matching excitement. Although Pinkie far outclassed all of them in that department.

"The main thing I wanna see is what this big surprise is for me Cadence mentioned," said Spike. "I really hope it's some special crystals just for me! My mouth was watering the whole time when we were there before."

"Actually, Spike, I've been doing some thinking about that ever since it was mentioned and I think I may have figured it out," announced Twilight.

"No, don't! I still want it to be a surprise for when we get there!" Spike fidgeted in his seat for a while and twiddled with his claws. "Oh, I can't wait! What is it?"

"Well, think about it. What happened the last time we were there?" she asked.

"Um, we saved the Empire from Sombra and restored the Crystal Heart," said Spike.

"Spikey darling, have you forgotten so easily? We didn't save the Empire. You did," corrected Rarity.

"M-Me?" he stammered. "B-But Twilight was the one who found the Heart and Cadence was the one who grabbed it after Shining Armour threw her."

"And who was it that was with me every step of the way when I searched for the Heart? Who was it that took possession of the Heart so Cadence was in a position to retrieve it? Who is it that has a stained glass window back in Canterlot commemorating his achievement?" Twilight beamed. "That was all you, Spike."

"W-Wow." Spike blinked several times. "I… I guess it was."

"Yeah, you're probably like a big hero now with the crystal ponies or something," put in Rainbow. "Like with a statue and a holiday named after you. Famous and I'm not even in the Wonderbolts yet."

Spike didn't say anything. He looked a little shocked at the idea. The last time he'd been praised as a hero, they'd all shared the glory after the defeat of Discord. But Twilight was right when she said it was largely thanks to Spike they'd been able to save the Empire. Dusk had gotten stabbed too, but he wasn't looking for anymore praise. He was happy to let Spike have this one.

Eventually, a smile started to grow on his face and leaned back in his seat.

"You know, if that's gonna be the case, I think my holiday just got a whole lot better," he said. "I sure hope you guys are right."

"And the princesses are going to be joining us too?" asked Fluttershy. "That's what I've been hearing, anyway."

"You'd be correct," affirmed Dusk. "We got the letter from Celestia not long after we told Cadence we'd be coming. They have to finish some royal traditions for the season in Canterlot first, but they'll be joining us for the party in the Empire too."

"Hard ta imagine Celestia bein' at the type-a parties we're used ta," admitted Applejack. "'Less it involves standin' around an' givin' big smiles ta everypony."

"She had a good time at Cadence's reception and remember, she was the one who invited us to the Gala to make it more exciting," reminded Twilight.

"Good point. Ah still have a hard time picturin' her lettin' her mane down. An' I ain't jus' sayin' that 'cause there's so much of it," she said.

"Well, we shall have to wait and see, won't we?" said Dusk.

By the time they arrived at the station of the Empire, the sun was shining bright enough that they all felt wide awake. They were met by a royal escort and confirmed their speculation on the train about Spike by sinking into low bows.

"We are humbled by your presence, O Great and Honourable Spike the Brave and Glorious," they greeted. "Allow us to carry you to the palace."

Once again, Spike was stunned when they lowered a small chair built for him that they carried. He glanced around and when nopony objected, he smiled once more and climbed onto it.

"On we go, then!" he declared. "Nice that I get to be the big hero for once.

"Well, you called it, Twi," said Ray. "I don't think you could get more heroic than that. Although I'd like to ask where my special throne to carry me to the castle is."

"What in the world did you do that would qualify as heroic?" scoffed Rarity.

"Excuse me, but I think you'll find I was instrumental in helping to free Sombra of his corruption and help Dusk out in his fight against him," he explained. "Really, I was the Spike to his Twilight in that situation."

Rainbow looked at them, staring at both Dusk and Ray for a few moments. She frowned.

"Yeeeah, that just gives me some weird images," she said. "Now, I can't stop seeing you as a baby dragon and Dusk with Twilight's bangs."

"That sounds like an excuse for a makeover to me!" declared Rarity. "Really, there's so much more I could do with that mane and tail if you'd just let me."

"Forgive me if I sound conservative, Rarity, but I prefer my mane and tail as they are, thank you," replied Dusk.

"I don't know. I sort of find myself agreeing with Rarity there," murmured Twilight thoughtfully. "They could use a little work."

"I don't think so. Nopony wears your bangs better than you, Miss Sparkle."

"Aww, you're sweet." She paused. "But seriously, would it kill you to comb your mane and tail a little more?"

"You're asking me this when we continue to keep Ray's company?" he returned.

"You tell her, Dusk. Wait, was that a compliment or an insult?"

"You decide," replied Dusk.

There was a definite air of cheer in the Empire compared to their previous visit. The coats of the crystal ponies shimmered magnificently in the sunlight, as did their beautiful buildings and streets. These were adorned with winter-themed decorations, such as chain links of snowflakes and crystal Hearth's Warming trees growing along the streets.

Not only that but they could tell even from this distance that the light of the Crystal Heart was brighter than ever before. No doubt the spirit of the season was just as strong in the Empire as it was back home.

As they walked, the largely unknown tenth member of their company took the time to speak up, addressing Ray within his mind.

"Must we be present for this 'celebration'? I already grow weary of these ponies and their imbecilic tradition of joy and happiness. The fantasies of destruction are rolling in…"

Ray started for a moment at suddenly hearing Wrath's voice out of nowhere. This was shortly followed by feeling a vein starting to throb in his forehead at the monster's impeccable timing.

"Would you just shut up? You get no say in where we go and what we do, now go brood or something," he said heatedly to his tenant.

To his satisfaction, there was no response; he felt Wrath linger for a moment, then retreat back into the recesses of his mind. With a smile, he returned his attention back to the walk toward the castle.

That was when he noticed that all of his friends had stopped and were staring at him, with the exception of Spike, who escorts were still carrying him forward until he made a motion for them to stop. Everypony was watching him silently.

"Uhh… what?" Ray asked cluelessly.

"Um, were you talking to any of us there, Ray?" asked Twilight.

"...no. Wait," Ray froze. "Did I… say that out loud?"

"Y-Yes, you did," answered Fluttershy nervously.

Ray's eyes widened drastically before he blinked a few times. He coughed. "Ahem. Well… I, uh… this is awkward."

Dusk nodded at Ray. "It was him, wasn't it?"

"Uh… yes. He was… you know, doing his thing, and I… kinda had to tell him off. Which was not supposed to be out loud, for the record. Just… yeah."

Ray could've sworn he felt Wrath chuckle somewhere in there. The awkward silence endured for another few moments.

"Well, let's hope mean ol' Wrathy doesn't spoil our fun anymore, huh? You hear that, you Scrooge?!" Pinkie added. The stares turned to her. "What? If Ray's allowed to yell at the voice inside his head, why can't I?"

"...I'd respond to that, but even I can't come up with a witty reason," Ray sighed. "No cause for alarm, everypony. Let's just… move on. Please."

Nopony objected to this idea. Thankfully, a point of interest came up as they approached the palace in the form of a crystal-carved statue of Spike, holding aloft the Crystal Heart triumphantly.

"Oh yeah." Spike reclined in his throne. "I could get used to this."

The guards left Spike at the entrance to the palace, bowing as they departed. Spike had a definite swagger on their ascent to the throne room. No sooner had they stepped inside, they were greeted by their hosts.

"Hello, everypony!" Cadence beamed. "And there's my sister-in-law!"

"Cadence!" Twilight ran up to her foalsitter.

Dusk couldn't fight back a smile, along with the others. They knew what was coming.

"Sunshine, sunshine

Ladybugs awake!

Clap your hooves

And do a little shake!"

The first of them to say anything afterwards was Ray, who promptly started to chuckle despite his apparent attempt to conceal it, which then broke into a full-blown laugh. He wiped a tear away from his eye.

"You know," he said in-between minor fits of giggling, "I didn't say anything last time because there was kinda more important stuff going down, but seriously, what the heck? That's totally random and hilarious!"

"It's something we've done since I was a little filly!" flushed Twilight. "Don't judge!"

"Too late."

"Ray!"

"Alright, alright, I retract my judgement. Still funny, though."

"Don't make me sic Dusk on you!" threatened Twilight.

Dusk raised an eyebrow. "Beg pardon?"

"Twilight, he's your coltfriend, not your dog," giggled Cadence.

"That's kind of rich coming from the mare who let her husband use her as a projectile weapon," quipped Ray.

"I was taught to be resourceful in pressured situations in my training and to think outside the box," said Shining. "Though I'd certainly like to see my drill inspector's face if he learned about that particular tactic."

"I call it a testament to the power of love. And speaking of love, I'm sensing a lot more of it than when you were last here and coming from some very specific sources," said Cadence slyly.

Her eyes fell on Ray and Fluttershy. Instantly, both of their faces blushed up a storm. Ray rubbed the back of his head and chuckled nervously while Fluttershy pawed the ground with her paw and hid behind her mane.

"Congratulations, you two." Her smile grew. "I knew it was only a matter of time. I hope you're very happy together."

Ray continued to laugh nervously. However Fluttershy, in a move that was rather bold by her standards, stood closer to Ray's side and placed a hoof on his free one.

"I um… I think we will be, princess," she said sincerely. "Th-Thank you."

"Awww! You're so cute!" she gushed. "Oh, that mental picture is going right in my memories album!"

"Alright, simmer down, dear," prompted Shining.

"Hush you," she ordered playfully. "I'm the Princess of Love. I'm allowed to get carried away if I want to."

"Speaking of our royal duties, there's something we need to do first," reminded Shining.

"Oh yes, of course! Excuse us, everypony. We just need to make a quick address to the crystal ponies, then we can begin the celebrations."

They all stood back and remained respectfully silent as Cadence and Shining went to the balcony. A joyous cheer greeted them from the assembled ponies below. They waved to the crowd for a bit before Cadence raised her hoof for silence.

"Crystal ponies. Citizens of the Empire," began Shining. "We'd like you all to take a moment. To remember the dark times, when all seemed lost. How together you overcame that darkness and have worked together to help this great Empire rise again, greater than ever before and proclaim together in one voice: well done!"

Another cheer erupted from the crowd.

"Though a thousand years have been lost, you've never let that dampen your spirits or harden your hearts," continued Cadence. "I have seen that the power of your love and light is as strong as it ever was and has even surpassed it. We may have been here to guide you but it is you, our loyal and wonderful subjects, who have helped to carry the Empire to where it is today and where we will ensure it stays.

"Now, let us come together and celebrate the light and love that, on this day, united all ponies with the magic of friendship. A magic I can say with certainty has returned to the North once again. Be proud of yourselves, remember all you have achieved and a Happy Hearth's Warming Day to each and everypony!"

Hooves stomped in thunderous applause and Dusk could make out the crystal ponies bowing in the streets. The ground shone with magical light, the power within the crystal ponies empowering the Crystal Heart. They felt its magical energies sweep through them, transforming them into their crystal coats much to Rarity's delight.

"Oh, now this is most certainly Hearth's Warming!" she squealed with joy.

While they all had mounting excitement for the holiday celebrations, Ray stood off to the side idly. He looked mildly surprised at getting a crystal coat, but he otherwise looked rather bored.

"Well, now that that's done," said Cadence, "it's time for presents! These are for all of you."

They levitated heart-shaped boxes to them. Dusk opened his and found a number of what looked like sweets, but they were all shimmering like little gemstones.

"Crystal candy," explained Shining. "Specially prepared sugar crystals with different flavours. We only just got them back in production in time for the holidays. This is the first batch and we figured we'd save them for you."

"Oooh!" Pinkie popped one in her mouth. "Mmm, crunchy! Like rock candy but a little sweeter. I love it!"

The exchange of gifts continued. Applejack shared out various homemade apple-related treats, including a bottle of cider for everypony much to Rainbow's delight. She, on the other hoof, had scored them tickets for prime seats for the next Wonderbolts air show. Rarity's gifts came in the form of specially made winter wear, including winter-themed outfits for when they'd be having Hearth's Warming dinner. Twilight, to nopony's real surprise, got them all books on various subjects. Fluttershy had made them all hoof-stitched pictures of animals, mostly associated pets if a pony had them.

"I-I'm sorry, Cadence and Shining," she murmured. "B-By the time I knew we were coming here… I didn't have time to m-make you a-any."

"That's alright, Fluttershy," assured Cadence. "Your being here with everypony is an equally as great gift."

Then, it was Dusk's turn. Using his magic, he began the display he had been working on. The girls gasped in surprise when their respective elements appeared around their necks and gently floated out into the centre of the room. From them appeared near-perfect shapes. These were no longer basic outlines, but possessed as much detail as he could muster. From their eye colours to the strands of hair on their manes.

The shadows grew around them and from them, tinged with his lights, hostile forms of old enemies emerged. Doom. Paraserpents. Discord. Changelings and Chrysalis. The Beast Wrath in the form they faced it in, larger than them all (Ray, for one, looked slightly perturbed at seeing what he'd generally looked like under Wrath's possession). But the forms of Dusk and the girls shone brightly in the dark, making Doom and the Paraserpents flinch. A shield appeared around them, generated by the new form of Shining and empowered by Cadence, from which the changelings recoiled. The stars and sun appeared and from them came Celestia and Luna, their magic holding back Discord. Wrath lunged at them, but Ray was there to stop him, resisting the Beast with all of his might.

Their light, representing their friendship, shone brighter and brighter until it all burst forth in a vibrant rainbow light. It filled the whole room, dispelling the darkness of the evils that had surrounded them and leaving them standing triumphant. Their forms faded away and Dusk was left feeling rather fatigued at the immense effort of using his magic like that. But for the expressions on his friend's faces and the hugs they all gave him, it was worth it.

"That was beautiful, Dusk," praised Cadence. "A real testament to how you and all you have come and still have yet to reach."

"Thank you, Cadence," he said sincerely.

But there was one pony who hadn't hugged him. He was standing where he had been before, looking rather flummoxed at the presents surrounding him, like he had no idea how they got there.

"Somethin' wrong, Ray?" asked Applejack.

"Huh? Uh yeah, fine," he replied. "Just um… I feel kinda crummy, really."

"Oh no!" Fluttershy looked worried. "I knew I shouldn't have stitched you a wolf for your present!"

"No, no! It's not that Flutters, really," he said quickly. "Just… I didn't really expect to get any gifts, is all and um… I didn't really get anypony anything."

He rubbed the back of his head and looked away. But before any of them could say anything, it was Pinkie who stepped up and gave him her brightest smile.

"Aww, silly Ray. It doesn't matter if you didn't get any presents. That's not what Hearth's Warming is about. It's about friendship and that's the best gift you could have ever given any of us."

She pulled him into a warm embrace. Ray seemed surprised at the gesture, but he relaxed into it and hugged back. Dusk could have sworn that his eyes were starting to shimmer with tears before he closed them.

"Oh boy," Rainbow sniggered. "You're gonna need some wine to go with the cheese of that line, Pinkie."

Pinkie just giggled. "Good one, Dashie!"

"Yeah, it was kind of cheesy but… thanks," he said sincerely.

"You're welcome, Ray," replied Pinkie. "Is that everypony's presents done?"

"I think so," said Cadence. "Follow us, everypony!"

Cadence lead them from the throne room and down the hall. The room they came into was definitely decorated for a party. Streamers, balloons, tables laden with food and drinks and a set of speakers with a sound desk. It was in the spirit of the season too, with all the Hearth's Warming trappings blending nicely with the others.

"Everything we need is here." Cadence turned to face them. "Now, I think you know what to do, Pinkie."

"Hold on, Cadence. Protocol must be observed," she said in an oddly formal voice. She turned to Shining and stood to attention. "Ahem. Request permission to begin partying down, Captain-Prince sir?"

Shining laughed and nodded. "Permission granted. Carry on, Private Pinkie."

"Thank yoooou, sir!" she replied enthusiastically and whipped out her party cannon. "Preparing the One Party Cannon Salute in three… two…!"

"Hold your fire, Pinkamena!" a voice called. "By royal command!"

They turned to see Celestia and Luna coming down the hall, the latter holding up a hoof and hurrying forward ahead of her sister.

"Behold! We have arrived and thus the celebrations can begin in earnest!" declared Luna. "Rejoice, my friends, for much fun will be had on this day! So we declare it!"

"Truer words were never spoken, my sister," agreed Celestia.

"Thank you, Tia," replied Luna brightly.

"Princesses!" Twilight galloped up to her mentor. "Happy Hearth's Warming!"

"And to you as well, Twilight," returned Celestia. "It looks like Luna and I got here just in time."

"You did," said Dusk, meeting Luna with a hug. "It's good you were able to be here with us."

"We wouldn't miss this for the world, my friend," said Luna warmly. "It's better than being by ourselves in Canterlot."

"Is that because we're the only fun ponies you know?" joked Dusk.

To his surprise, both monarchs exchanged a look with each other and their cheeks went red. Dusk looked at Twilight, whose eyes widened and she giggled.

"Wow. Looks like I called it again, right Ray?" asked Twilight.

"Two in a row," he called.

"Even princesses need to have a little fun now and then," said Celestia. "Speaking of which, I believe you were about to proceed, Pinkie?"

"Yes ma'am!" With a bang, her party cannon exploded and the party began.

Nopony wasted any time to begin celebrating. They kicked things off with a game of Pin the Tail on the Pony, with Celestia stepping up to do the pinning. However, as an added twist, they positioned a few tables and other such things to create a maze between the princess and the pony. A team composed of Twilight, Dusk, Rarity, Spike, Cadence and Shining then had to yell to her where to go while the opposing team lead by Luna and composed of Ray, Applejack, Pinkie and Fluttershy had to confuse her efforts.

"There, right there, princess!" cried Twilight. "You've got it!"

"No, no, left, further left!" called Luna.

"Watch that table, auntie- oops!" Cadence cringed.

"I can't very well watch it if I'm blindfolded!" Celestia laughed, getting back up. "Where am I actually going?!"

"Do a one-eighty, turn around!" shouted Shining. "You're not facing the right way!"

"Goodness, princess! You dropped your crown!" shrieked Rarity.

"Oh, forget the crown!" dismissed Celestia. "I'm getting this tail on the pony and I won't be stopped!"

Even though she ended up stumbling and falling several times, wandering far off course and even accidentally placing the tail on her sister's nose, Celestia wasn't perturbed. In fact, her face was glowing with the brightest, happiest smile that Dusk had ever seen her have. It was strange, yet wonderful to see her having so much fun and enjoying herself.

In the end, Celestia did manage to get it on the pony but closer to its chest than its rump.

"I suppose that'll do," she tittered. "My party talents lie more in eating cake, I think."

"Sorry, princess," chimed Pinkie, "but I think I gotcha beat there."

Celestia smirked. "Is that a challenge, Pinkie?"

Pinkie returned it. "Oh, it. Is. On SISTER!"

Both of the cakes brought out for them were fairly sizable. Dusk felt a little sick at the thought of eating either one by himself, but neither mare backed down. On Spike's signal, they both gorged on their sweets as if they'd been starving for days.

Once again, this complete abandonment of royal composure was rather surprising. All pretence of proper etiquette was abandoned by Celestia, simply choosing to eat her cake as quickly as possible, her fur and golden girdle stained with chocolate and icing.

It was a close run thing, but Pinkie won by a hair.

"Oh… yeah!" she cheered, worn out. A loud belch escaped her mouth. "You're… a worthy opponent… Celestia."

The belch was trumped by Celestia, who delicately wiped her mouth. "As are you, Pinkie."

"Um, who is this mare and what's she done with Celestia?" murmured Ray to Dusk.

"I don't know, but she's good company," replied Dusk.

Taking a little break from the games, everypony started to mingle. Dusk found himself in a group consisting of Applejack, Rainbow and Shining. On the subject of competing, the two mares were recounting the Iron Pony competition. He took a hearty drink of Applejack's cider that she had brought as he listened. It was very well made and it was better than waiting another year for cider season.

"So yeah, because Applejack was such a saddle sore about my many victories in the contest-"

"Uh, ya mean when ya used yer wings ta give ya an unfair advantage?" said Applejack pointedly.

"Heh… details," she said sheepishly. "Anyways, so we decided to settle it at the Running of the Leaves in a race."

"Oh yeah? Who won then? Which of you is the Iron Pony?" asked Shining. "If I had to place my bets between you two, I'd say it'd be a pretty even thing."

"Um… well, you see…"

"Uh, what happened there was uh… we uh…"

"Neither of them," answered Dusk. "They were so caught up in trying to beat each other, they forgot about others participating in the race. Namely myself and your sister."

"Wait, so…" Shining started to laugh. "No way! You two beat them?"

"We finished ahead, yes," said Dusk. "I came sixth, she came fifth."

"Hey, not bad!" praised Shining. "You got a little more meat on those bones than I thought. Maybe you and I should have an Iron Pony contest."

Dusk's eyes ran up Shining's far superior physique warily. "Um… I'd say that'd be rather one-sided. I'm not exactly a uh, physical specimen."

"I dunno about that." Rainbow ran a cursory glance over him. "With all the scrapes we've gotten into and all your training and such, I think you've put on a little more muscle than you did when you first stumbled into Ponyville."

"We um, can't really be sure about that," he muttered.

"Then how 'bout we give ya somepony a lil' closer ta yer level an' find out. Hey, Ray!" Applejack called. "Get over here fer a sec!"

Ray had been standing off to one side, looking like he'd been in thought. At the sound of his name, he popped over. Literally, appearing next to them in a second.

"What's up? Are you all bored? Should I regale you with one of the most-likely slightly-exaggerated tales of my past exploits?"

"If we needed somepony ta do that, ah'd have asked Rainbow," replied Applejack.

"Hey!" she yelled indignantly.

"We called you over because we want to see who's strongest between you and Dusk," said Shining.

Dusk's eyes widened. "I-I'm sorry?"

Ray had a similar reaction. "...You wanna see who's stronger between me and Dusk? Like, right now? Have a fight in the middle of a party?"

"As awesome as that would be, no," said Rainbow. "You're settling this with a test of strength as old as time itself: a hoof wrestle!"

"Oh, test of strength, okay. Still…" Ray looked Dusk over. "You want to see who is stronger between me, and the student of one of the Princesses with an admittedly somewhat lacking frame. I'm not sure if I should be flattered… or what. No offense, Dusk."

"None taken because this is completely ludicrous," said Dusk. "I didn't agree to this, nor am I altogether curious about the outcome."

"Come on, Dusk! You're not chicken, are you?"

Dusk frowned at Shining. "You should know that I don't respond well to foalish methods of goading, Shining."

"Yeah, besides, I'd obviously win anyways. I mean, Dusk doesn't exactly have a winning record against me, anyways," Ray added casually.

"I beg your pardon?" Dusk looked at Ray. "I do recall that apparently I did defeat you during the changeling incident."

"You were under mind control, it hardly counts."

"Yeah, see?" Rainbow nudged him. "Don't tell me you're not just a little bit curious, Dusk. Come on, it's just a bit of fun. Go for it and put him in his place!"

"Ah wouldn't mind seein' him taken down a peg too," added Applejack. "We ain't gonna think any less-a ya either way, sugarcube."

Dusk considered briefly. As much of a friend he considered him to be, Ray's boasting could get a little… tedious. Rivalling Rainbow's, if that was possible. He would be lying if he said it wouldn't be satisfying to try and earn some bragging rights.

"Why is everypony siding against me? Come on guys, Dusk isn't that kind of pony. Right Dusk?"

Dusk couldn't really explain how or why, but the opportunity seemed to awake something inside him. Something that could be akin to a competitive side. Or maybe it was the cider.

"You know," said Dusk slowly, "if you'd asked me that two years ago, I would have agreed."

"Hummana-what?" Ray sputtered.

"But," Dusk continued, "after becoming an Element of Harmony, student to a princess, emerging victorious in more than a few fights including one with my own dark side, helping saving Equestria on three separate occasions and enduring the blunt end of your pipe from any enduring attempts at self deprecation… I think it's fair to say my attitude has changed, somewhat."

Ray looked dumbfounded. "Did you… did you just hold a grudge?"

"Would somepony mind clearing a space?" he asked loudly. "I believe a wager has been placed."

That proclamation managed to grab the attention of every other pony present, even those currently engaged in their own conversations. With a growing grin, Rainbow zoomed to a table and pushed aside some of the items on it. Dusk strode up to it, sat down and placed his right foreleg on it. He looked up at Ray, daring him silently to take up the challenge.

Ray just stared for several long, quiet moments. When he spoke, it was with a smirk. "Well, when you of all ponies throws down the gauntlet like that, somepony like me is kinda obligated to pick it up." He moved over to the opposite side of the table and sat down, facing Dusk. "Alright. I'm game. We'll see just how long this lasts."

Rather quickly, the other members of the party started to gather around, most of them rather surprised at the concept of Dusk and Ray having a hoof wrestle… but nopony objecting all the same.

"Goodness, you can smell the testosterone," murmured Rarity.

"Really?" Pinkie sniffed her pits. "I thought that was me."

"I got ten bits that Ray wins in the first five seconds," whispered Spike.

"I'll match that," replied Rainbow.

"I say twenty that my student shall emerge victorious!" declared Luna.

Spike shrugged. "Your loss, princess." That earned a glare from Twilight. "What? Ask Dusk if you want faith."

"Ray. Dusk." At Shining's word, they clasped hooves across the table. "Start… now!"

Once the announcement had left Shining's mouth, both of their legs immediately tensed as they strained against one another. Though the others were quiet for a second, they soon started cheering, some for Dusk, some for Ray.

Dusk was met with strong resistance from Ray and could already feel beads of sweat beginning to form. He wasn't really used to this kind of physical exertion, but he wasn't about to just give up either. Ray would never let him live it down. He pushed against his hoof with all the strength he possessed. But despite his effort, Ray, while appearing to be struggling as well, was still pushing Dusk's hoof closer and closer to the surface of the table.

"Hey Dusk," he managed to breath out, "Wasn't expecting you to be… lasting this long. You working out at all?"

"Call it… strength of… will," he uttered through clenched teeth.

"Ah,so it's… just me then?" Ray asked, still inching Dusk's hoof downward. "Maybe I… really should start… working harder. I may be losing my touch."

"Thank ya, finally!" Applejack proclaimed loudly off to the side.

His hoof was inches away from touching the table. The cheers for Ray were growing louder, as were the ones for Dusk. He tried to push against it, but Ray kept pressing down on him. He didn't know exactly what happened next. Perhaps he tapped into some unfound strength. Perhaps Ray started to lessen the pressure because he felt victory was close. Whatever it was, Dusk gave another drawn-out groan of exertion and gained some ground. This was followed by a brief glimpse of shock on Ray's face before Dusk, in the span of a second, brought his own hoof back up and slammed Ray's down on the other side of the table.

Along with Ray's entire body, which went in the same direction as his hoof and resulted in him slamming against the floor on the other side of the table with a cry of surprise, while Dusk held onto his hoof.

It was quiet for almost a full minute. Nopony made a sound. Dusk's eyes were locked onto his and Ray's hooves, still gripping each other, but now the former's pinning the latter's against the crystalline surface. He couldn't see the others' faces, but he imagined they were just as surprised as he was. He also noticed that his leg had gone noticeably numb in some parts after that outburst.

Finally, a groan from Ray brought them all out of their stupor. The first to speak was Rainbow.

"The hay just happened?"

"Something that means you both owe me some money," said Luna with a triumphant smirk.

Spike just dumbly handed over his own ten bits whilst barely moving from his shocked position.

"Wow…" Shining shook his head. "Where did that come from?"

"Yer askin' the wrong pony," murmured Applejack.

"Wooooo! Go Dusk!" cheered Pinkie. "We have made a stallion out of you and we didn't even need a montage!"

Twilight walked up to a stunned Dusk and surprised him even more with a full on kiss.

"I don't usually get behind stuff like this," she said when she was finished. "But that was, well… kind of hot. Well done, Dusk."

"Thanks," Dusk muttered absently. He was still trying to process how exactly this had come about. His hoof was still on top of Ray's. He hadn't had the idea to remove it yet.

Meanwhile, Fluttershy was rushing over to Ray's side of the table, where she knelt down next to him. "Ray?! I, uh, I mean… are you, um, alright?"

"Oww," was, for once, the only thing Ray said.

"Oh dear… umm, Dusk?" Fluttershy asked politely, getting his attention. "Could you maybe… let go of his hoof please?"

Dusk finally realized that he was still holding his opponent in a death grip and complied, slowly releasing Ray's hoof, which fell unceremoniously off the table. He heard Fluttershy mutter a quiet 'thank you' and return to tending Ray. Dusk, for his part, was feeling rather tingly on his general right side.

"Dusk? Is everything alright?" Twilight sounded concerned.

"I'm fine, fine," he insisted. "I just… I didn't know I had it in me."

"Looks like you just got it where it counts," said Shining proudly. "Nice win, Dusk. I'd maybe take it easy for a few minutes until you get the feeling back. Pushing yourself like that can really be a killer, but you'll always end up a little stronger as a result."

Dusk nodded his thanks silently and felt the soothing warmth of a spell from Twilight easing the numbness in his foreleg.

"Well, now that that bout of masculinity is over, are there any other competitions we should get out of the way?" Rarity asked the group.

"Hey, here's an idea!" piped up Spike. "Who's the better student to a princess: Dusk or Twilight?"

"An excellent proposition, young Spike!" agreed Luna.

"I have to admit, I'm a little interested to find that out too," said Celestia.

Both Dusk and Twilight felt more than a little self conscious under everypony's gaze. One look at each other and they both came to the same conclusion.

"We'll… get back to you on that," replied Twilight sheepishly.


After about fifteen minutes, Dusk was able to get complete feeling in his leg back and could walk on it without feeling like he would fall. He also bore in mind to try and keep any other similar ideas in check. Cider was making a lot of ideas that he would have normally put out of his mind completely sound rather feasible under its influence.

It was at this point he saw Ray again looking rather disinterested in the whole affair. He stood off to one side, glancing about the room. Dusk managed to catch his eye and wordlessly motion for him to accompany him out into the hall. Ray looked confused, but he followed. Dusk kept quiet until they'd slipped out and he shut the door, ensuring a measure of privacy.

"Am I the only one getting a weird sense of deja vu from this?" Ray asked.

"I couldn't really say." Dusk got straight to the point. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong, Dusk," Ray sighed, sounding slightly exasperated.

"Then why are you acting so distant?" asked Dusk. "I've seen Fluttershy try three times to ask you if you want to join in some holiday themed games and you turned her down on all occasions. I don't know if you can tell, but she looked very disappointed and I can tell the others are beginning to notice too."

"Those puppy eyes are gonna haunt me in my sleep, I swear…" Dusk heard Ray mutter under his breath before the latter spoke up. "Alright, alright. You and the girls get so concerned over me I sometimes can't decide if it's nice or a nuisance…"

"That's what you get when you have should know that by now," replied Dusk.

"Fair enough," Ray laughed before continuing. "Look, I don't know if you've noticed by now, but… celebrations aren't exactly my strongest suit. Especially this particular type of celebration. I mean, it never gets as bad as when my birthday rolls around, but in general I'm just… well, I don't really have much holiday spirit, you could say. At least not during Hearth's Warming."

"I have a hunch, but may I ask why?"

"Well, lemme put it this way… you ever see one of those really sad Hearth's Warming movies that has a scene with the one guy walking down a snowy street really late at night, all bundled up and trudging along, and he happens to look in through a window he's passing by and sees a happy family gathered around a fireplace and having fun with one another?"

Dusk nodded. "I think I see what you mean. I suppose it is obvious why this time of year doesn't sit well with you."

"Not trying to be a drama queen about it, but basically, yeah." Ray shrugged. "Not much cheer in that department. I'm trying to stay involved, but… well, it's a little awkward, you know?"

"I understand." Dusk thought for a moment. "Do you mind if I offer some advice?"

"Go ahead. All ears."

"You're only behaving this way because you can't get into the holiday spirit. Yet I've seen you participate in plenty of other gatherings quite wholeheartedly, parties like this one included. I think you should just try to appreciate the fact that this is a gathering with all of our friends, ponies we both consider to be family and there just so happens to be something else happening in the background. You don't have to pay attention to that something else, but you can still have a good time regardless."

"I get what you're saying. It's easier said than done, though, with all the decorations glaring in my face," he added jokingly.

"Even so, I'm not going to let you sit around and mope the whole evening. You never did. So," said Dusk, walking right up to him, "either you lighten up and try to have some fun or I talk to Pinkie and have her make sure you do. For the whole evening."

For a moment there, Ray actually looked scared at the prospect, with his eyes bugging out. He regained his composure though and shook his head.

"Fine, you win. I know better than to argue. Just… don't sic Pinkie on me. Please."

"Actually try to enjoy yourself and I won't have to. Think of it as my pipe for you, if you will," he said with a smirk and walked past him back inside. "Come along, Mr Strike."

"Don't you get all formal on me," he grumbled while following. "You know I hate that."

Dusk merely smiled to himself and watched Ray rejoin the party. He got Fluttershy's attention and to her apparent delight looked like he agreed to play something with her.

"What was that all about then?" a curious Twilight asked.

"Just a little bit of role reversal, you might say," answered Dusk.

She frowned. "What does exactly that mean?"

"That I was returning a favour," he replied.

"Okay fine, be all enigmatic and mysterious then," she said, rolling her eyes. "I don't know why I decided it might be fun to let you drink."


At some point during the party, everypony had taken a spot on the dance floor. The last to join them was Twilight, who began her… unique style much to everypony's amusement.

"Uh oh, clear the way!" guffawed Rainbow. "Twilight's taking the stage!"

"Watch as she performs the dance of her people!" called Pinkie.

Luna stared at her oddly. "I have been sealed away for a millennia and even I hesitate to call those movements 'dancing'."

"Just like when she was little!" squealed Cadence delightfully.

"Yeah, but I think it was cuter then," murmured Shining.

"It's not that bad, really," said Fluttershy.

"No, it's worse!" laughed Spike.

"Oh come now, everypony," defended Rarity. "At least she isn't afraid to express herself."

"Yeah, jus' not real sure 'bout what she's expressin' other than ah think she needs the lil' filly's room," remarked Applejack.

"Hey, we should take photos and show them to everypony!" suggested Ray. "They'd either melt down, run away or fall in love."

"Ray, that's my marefriend you're…" Dusk couldn't hold back a snigger. "I'm sorry, I can't keep a straight face. What is she DOING with her legs?!"

"It seems now I know where to focus my teaching efforts in the future," noted Celestia with a laugh.

"Thank you all for your loyalty and support," said Twilight sarcastically.

Not long after, as another way to wind down and due Pinkie Pie's very enthusiastic suggestion, they gathered in the centre of the room in a circle to play a game of Spin the Bottle with Truth or Dare rules, and the mares all noticeably more excited to play than the stallions.

"Okay, here we go!" Pinkie spun the bottle and it landed on Shining. "Oooh! You're up, your princeliness! Truth or dare?"

"Figures. Okay, dare," he said.

"Hmm…" Pinkie thought for a moment. "Do ten push-ups, with one hoof and two ponies sitting on your back!"

"Sorry, is that meant to be a challenge?" he laughed.

He supported himself on two hooves until the two ponies, Twilight and Applejack, were settled on his back. Amazingly, he managed to pull it off with seemingly little effort, though he was sweating quite a bit and practically collapsed when he was finished.

"Hoo, boy!" he panted. "Like being back in basic."

"They made you do push-ups with mares sitting on your back in basic training?" giggled Twilight.

"Sadly, no," he chuckled. "They'd probably get more recruits if they did though." He spun it and the bottle landed on Celestia. She picked truth. "What do you look for in a stallion?"

"Why only a stallion?" she winked. She got a few stunned looks from that. "What? When you live as long as I do, you can end up… experimenting."

"I… think that's a little more truth than I really needed to know," muttered Ray.

"But in both cases: I like intelligence, somepony I can talk to but also somepony who knows how to have fun and has a sense of humour." She paused. "A nice flank is a good selling factor too."

"I knew we were meant to be! Take me now, princess of my heart!" cried Pinkie, snorting with laughter.

"A few more truths coming to light, it seems." Celestia laughed and spun the bottle. Rainbow groaned when it landed on her.

"Ugh, fine! Truth, I guess"

"What is one thing you do regularly that you would never want to be caught doing?" asked Celestia.

"Aw no! Do I have to answer this?" The princess nodded, smirking. "Ugh! Okay um… I uh… IgethooficureseveryFriday!"

"Why, Rainbow!" tittered Rarity. "Have you handed in your daredevil licence then?"

"Shut up!" she snapped. "It feels really good on my hooves, okay?! I tried to resist after the Gabby Gums thing but… they just feel so good! I… ugh, just lemme spin the damn bottle!"

She did so and it pointed to Applejack. "Oh, now it's getting good!"

"Guess ah'll mix it up a bit. Dare," she picked.

"Dance on that table and sing the chorus of Redneck Mare!" Rainbow said at once.

Applejack raised an eyebrow. "You serious? Well, guess ah gotta do it."

With as much dignity as she could muster, Applejack climbed up onto the table and cleared her throat. Pinkie whipped out a violin from somewhere and gave her some backing music. Tapping hoof and getting into a little jig, she sang:

Well ah'm a redneck mare

Ah ain't no high class broad

Ah'm jus' a product-a ma rasin', ah say

'Hey y'all' an' 'yeehaw!'

An' ah keep ma Stetson hat on in every place ah go

An' ah'm runnin' firs' in every single rodeo

So here's ta all ma sisters out there keepin' it country

Lemme get a big 'hay yeah' from the redneck mares like me!

Hay yeah!

Pinkie echoed her yell and cheered enthusiastically while everypony applauded. She tipped her hat well naturedly and leapt off the table, glaring at a guffawing Rainbow.

"Ya bring this up again an' ah will hog tie ya an' hang ya upside down in the barn," she warned.

"Not really doin' much ta change the stereotype, pardner!" called Ray.

"That goes double fer you, Ray if ah hear ya tryin' ma accent again!"

"Yes ma'am."

"I do not understand," muttered Luna. "Applejack's neck is in no way red. Is this some manner of sickness?"

"I'll explain later," giggled Celestia. "Now, Applejack, I believe it's your turn to spin."

She did so and the bottle landed on Spike. He picked dare and Applejack told him to do an imitation of somepony and see if they could guess. The dragon stroked his chin for a bit.

"Oh, hey guys," he said in a slightly deeper voice. "I'm off to work on the farm and just get yelled at by Applejack, you know? I hope Fluttershy's not gonna be there because she makes me all nervous, you know? Hey, cut out all the singing! It's really weird, you know?"

"Why, that could only be Ray!" guessed Rarity.

Ray's head snapped up. "What?"

"You got it!" declared Spike. "Okay, my turn to-"

"Wait, wait, hold on!" Ray ordered. "I do not sound like that!"

"Yes, you do," said Dusk. "That particular phrase is one I hear quite a bit from you."

"I don't say 'you know' that much! Do I?" He looked to Fluttershy. "Do I?"

"Um…" She blushed. "M-Maybe a little…?"

Ray frowned. "Oh. Lovely. Now I'm self-conscious about it. Thanks everypony."

A spin of the bottle later and it landed on Cadence. There was a slightly daring smirk when she picked truth and Spike posed the question of telling them a guilty pleasure she had.

"Hmm…" That smirk remained, a faint blush accompanying it. "Roleplay."

Rarity gasped. "My goodness, Cadence! I didn't think you were the type!"

"It's mostly for Shining's benefit, but it is really fun," she giggled. "See, he likes his tabletop RPGs and sometimes, we like to get dressed up and-"

"Cadence!" cried Twilight. "I don't need to hear this and neither does Spike!"

"They really don't!" added Shining desperately.

"I don't get it," shrugged Spike. "I play Ogres and Oubliettes all the time. What's the big deal?"

"We'll tell you when you're older, champ," said Ray.

"I must say, I'm learning a lot about my subjects and family today," Celestia added in, unable to suppress her own grin.

"I learn it whenever I stumble into particularly lewd dreams," murmured Luna to her sister. "The things one sees when others think they're unwatched…"

"Okay, okay, no more from me. That's me and my husband's business." She winked at a furiously blushing Shining and spun the bottle. It landed on Ray. "Oh my, oh my. How fortuitous indeed."

Ray frowned. "Why am I feeling a strange sense of immense foreboding right now?"

"I'm sure it's nothing. Now, pick," urged Cadence.

"Uh… against my better judgement, dare."

Cadence's answer was immediate and concise. "You. Fluttershy. Five minutes. Closet."

Fluttershy, surprisingly, actually spat out some of her drink at the order. Ray seemed to take a few seconds to process the information. After which he began to look mortified, leaning back with his eyes virtually turning to the size of dinner plates. Both of them had severe blushes across their faces.

"Um…"You heard me," chuckled Cadence. "There's a store cupboard just over there. We'll time you and then you can come back out. Whatever you choose to do inside those five minutes is entirely up to you."

"... Is… is this allowed? Because, you kn-" he stopped himself and continued. "...you're technically daring both me and Flutters. And I just… um…"

"Firstly," she said pointedly, "my truth involved both me and Shining. Second, I'm the princess, this is my empire, so I make the rules. Third, you're playing and you picked dare, that's how it works. Fourth, don't even try to talk your way out of this. Mares like me have the power to detect any level of fib from any stallion. So, off you go."

"I'm… I-… can somepony hel-!" He was cut off by Applejack pushing him forward from behind, she herself grinning mischievously.

"Come on, hotshot. Ye made yer bed, now ya have ta sleep in it. So ta speak," she laughed, continuing to push a sputtering Ray, who had apparently forgotten about his own escape abilities, toward the aforementioned store cupboard.

"Come on, Fluttershy!" Rainbow encouraged, doing a similar act with Fluttershy. "Time for a little private time."

Fluttershy said nothing. She remained stock still in utter shock until the two of them were both pushed into the closet and the door shut on them. Shining pulled out a watch and set it to five minutes. With that, they just had to wait. All while standing idly outside the door.

None of them said anything immediately. Then Spike shared his thoughts.

"Truth or Dare is a lot more fun than I thought it would be. Just saying."

"Spike, hush!" hissed Rarity very quietly, who was standing a bit closer to the door than some of the others. "We're trying to listen!"

"We are? Isn't that, like… an invasion of privacy?" the dragon inquired.

"Are you saying you're not even a little bit curious as to what they might be up to?" she retorted.

"You have me there," he relented, quickly joining her near the door.

"I have to admit this feels a little inconsiderate of us," added Dusk.

"Dusk, it's not bad. Not really. Think of it as a chance of seeing where these two are in their relationship," reasoned Cadence, also hovering near the door. "Or at least try to. It might help them out in the long run."

"Well, when you put it like that…" Dusk soon followed suit, quietly positioning himself near the door along with the others.

For a while, they didn't hear anything from the other end, despite all of them staying completely silent themselves. It was actually starting to get rather worrying… until a voice broke the silence. And it wasn't any of theirs'.

"Sooooo…" they heard Ray say on the other side of the door after a minute, his voice somewhat muted and shaky-sounding. "We are… inside of a cupboard. This is… uh… fun. Rather cramped. But… yeah." He coughed.

They didn't hear anything from the room's other occupant. Either she wasn't responding, or she was speaking so quietly they couldn't hear her. Either option would be characteristic for her.

"Fluttershy?"

No response still.

"...Flutters?"

"Y-yes! I-I'm f-f-fine! C-completely fine!" she abruptly stammered, sheer nervousness apparent in her voice.

"...alright. Cool… that's great. And… yup."

Rarity face-hooved at the dumb tone in Ray's voice, while Rainbow seemed to be doing her utmost to keep herself from laughing. There was nothing else for another half-minute; both occupants seemed at a loss.

"...let's try and keep it… not silent," Ray continued awkwardly. "Umm… how are you today?"

"W-what?"

"How are you today?"

"O-oh… g-good. I-I'm… good."

"Awesome."

"A-and you?"

"What?"

"H-how are… you?"

"Oh! Fantastic! Super! I'm stuffed into a closet with my marefriend, you know, dandy."

Again, there was no immediate response. The level of awkwardness between the two in this situation was really starting to become apparent.

"...right. I'll just… be quiet now…" Ray trailed off.

"R-Ray?" Fluttershy asked.

"Yeah?"

"D-do… do y-you… d-do you w-want t-to…"

"...do I want to what?"

"I… I just… um… oh dear…" Fluttershy didn't say anything for a few more seconds before she blurted out. "Is that a mistletoe on the ceiling?"

"A what?" Ray asked. "... I… can't see anything because it's dark. In fact, I'm surprised that you ca-!" he was interrupted by something shifting, his voice sounding muffled for a moment. Then it was quiet again.

They didn't have to stretch their imaginations very far. The grins on all of the girls' faces, especially Cadence's, was a sight to behold.

A few minutes later, Shining checked his watch and nodded, opening the door and releasing Ray and Fluttershy. Both of whom's faces, they saw, were now beet red as they stared vacantly at out of the doorway. Though Fluttershy seemed to be smiling ever-so-faintly.

Cadence giggled. "So then… did you two have fun in ther-"

"Nothing! We are completely fine! All in a day's work! We did nothing! I am not raising my voice right now!" Ray blurted out in a single breath. They all laughed.

As most of them returned to their positions, with Fluttershy walking just a tad closer to Ray than before, one of them stayed where she was, still surprised by the revelation of what she'd just witnessed. Celestia blinked a few times and she stood and watched Ray return to his seat, pointedly ignoring Rainbow's nudging.

"Something wrong, auntie?" asked Cadence.

"What?" Celestia started. "Oh, no Cadence. Just… thinking."

"About what?" She followed her gaze. "They're a good couple, aren't they?"

"...yes. Of course…" Celestia looked unsure of herself. "I'm just surprised that he and Fluttershy are… together. Him and… an Element…"

Cadence's eyes flared. "You've already done enough to him, Celestia. Don't even think of splitting them up. If you do, I swear I'll-"

"Of course not." Celestia's simple answer honestly surprised Cadence momentarily. When Celestia turned to her and smiled, it was authentic. "I think it's wonderful that they've found something in each other. They both deserve happiness, in their own situations. And for him to be together with one of the Elements, and somepony like Fluttershy no less… I think it's rather poetic, in a way."

"Oh. Well, good." Cadence looked a little sheepish but returned her smile. "I'm glad you think so."

"As am I, my dearest niece," Celestia returned.

Satisfied, Cadence returned to the group. Celestia lingered for a moment longer, her smile faltering just slightly.

"Yes. Poetic… and fitting. In more ways than one."


The game of spin the bottle went on for a couple dozen more rounds. By the time they were done, most of them were either physically or emotionally spent.

With that, they called an end to the games for the moment, as it was time for Hearth's Warming Dinner. It was served in a separate room with at a large round table, with a great many different foods on offer. Steamed and roasted vegetables, luxurious fruit salads, crispy roast potatoes, boiling hot stews. A feast in every sense of the word. There was even a special section of the table filled with crystal and gem delicacies, all for Spike's benefit.

With so much on offer, there was plenty to go around and nopony would be left feeling hungry. The merriment and good nature between friends continued. Crackers were pulled and almost everypony ended up wearing a crown or party hat while they ate. Pinkie had about four of the latter. She also ended up telling most of the jokes which, while most of them groaned at, left her in hysterics.

Ray was definitely having a better time of it. He had a seat next to Fluttershy and Applejack and actually had a smile on his face at last. Dusk smiled proudly at him, happy that he was enjoying himself now. Yet at the same time, there were occasions when Ray looked to be contemplating about something. It didn't seem to be affecting his mood at all though, so Dusk didn't concern himself over it much.

It was around when their main course was finished and Cadence requested they bring on dessert that he called for attention. A little awkwardly, he stood from his place, clearing his throat and looking around whilst rubbing the back of his neck.

"Ahem… right. So, uh, before we get around to that, I just… wanted to say something."

"Woohoo, speech!"

"Thank you, Pinkie, for clarifying that." He paused and looked around at each of them again. "Uh… actually, now that I'm doing this, it's a bit harder than I'd planned it in my head…"

"Take your time, Ray," encouraged Dusk. "We're listening."

"Maybe you will," yawned Rainbow. "I'm not making any promises."

"Your bluntness is greatly appreciated, Rainbow. Not one to talk, but still," Ray deadpanned.

"Just give yourself a minute and say what you want to in your own time," advised Fluttershy.

"Thank you… alright. So then… as most of you probably noticed, I'm not the most… enthusiastic pony in Equestria when it comes to Hearth's Warming."

"Really? I honestly hadn't noticed," remarked Spike.

"THERE… is a reason for that," Ray pressed on, pretending not to hear the comment. "See, just like how nopony ever really wanted anything to do with me during most of my foalhood, so too did nopony ever really want anything to do with me during Hearth's Warming. In fact, I think it was even more so during Hearth's Warming, which is kinda the opposite of the normal effect… anyways, yeah. No presents, nopony to spend time with. My experience with Hearth's Warming is being left out and ignored, in a nutshell." He looked down. "The few ponies who did pay attention then chastised me for not having any holiday spirit. One of them I remember was particularly nasty about it. I then burned her tree… and her living room. And… I think that one kinda got away from me."

"Um, maybe not say everything you want," corrected Fluttershy.

"Noted," he said quickly. "Anyways, the point I'm trying to make here is… I never really liked Hearth's Warming. Heck, I never really liked most holidays, since… well, you can guess. And if I'm perfectly honest, I'm still not a huge fan of Hearth's Warming, even after today."

Pinkie's shocked gasp filled the whole room.

"But," he continued, "I am starting to feel it. Like… before I never understood the point of Hearth's Warming. Or… maybe I didn't want to. I dunno, that's psychology stuff. But now that I'm here, with all of you… I feel like I'm getting it. Apparently Hearth's Warming is about being with those closest to you and having a good time… and that's what I feel right now. And I'm happy to have that. I just want all of you to know… I consider you all to be the family I never had."

Pinkie's gasp became a choked sob. A second later, she was bawling and had thrown her forelegs around Ray in a tight embrace. Everypony else was touched by this too, even if not to the same extent.

"...Pinkie… crushing…" Ray choked out. "Oh sweet lord… what have I done..?"

"Oh, Ray!" Fluttershy nuzzled and kissed his cheek. "That's so nice and sweet of you!"

"Glad... you think so...!"

"Oops. Sorry!" Pinkie let go but beamed. "We're so so so so so so glad you can be part of our little family too, Ray!"

"Heh… thanks, Pinkie." Ray rubbed his head and grinned. "Glad to be part of it. So long as I stop getting rib-breaking bear hugs."

"No promises."

But the biggest impact of Ray's speech could be seen with Celestia. She appeared to be completely stunned and staring at Ray in utter amazement. Then, she rose from her place. All eyes turned to her while she walked around the table to where Ray was.

She gazed at him for a long while. The tension in the air seemed to thicken. Ray looked back up at her, unflinching. Lingering resentment simmered on his face, his eyes glaring daggers. Until she smiled humourlessly.

"Your strength is truly remarkable," she said with undisguised admiration. "The hardships you've suffered are some of the most tragic and yet here you stand."

"Umm…" Ray seemed at a loss for words. "...thanks?"

"Hardships that I'm responsible for and almost made worse," she continued. "Though I still feel some unease over it, I'm confident now that letting you remain with your friends in Ponyville was the right choice. But for almost robbing you of that and for everything else in your life because of that… creature… it had to be done but… I am sorry, Ray. I am so, so sorry…"

By this point, she was on the verge of tears. She hung her head in shame.

Then she felt something pressing against her body. She recognized the warmth. She opened her eyes to see Ray… hugging her.

Stunned silence filled the entire room. For the second time, Celestia was shocked into inactivity by Ray's action. But she managed to return it eventually, murmuring her apology over and over again. After a minute, Ray spoke.

"It's alright, Princess," he muttered. "Really, it is. I mean, part of me still kinda hates you for it… but I get it. It sucks, but I know why you did it at least. I understand. And while I do wish it didn't basically destroy my life… I forgive you."

"Thank you." She wiped her eyes and placed a hoof on his shoulder. "I can never take back what I've done. But I sincerely hope that your future is nothing but bright and if I can, I will try to help make it so."

"Right. I appreciate it Princess. Really, I d-"

"At this proximity, I sorely wish to tear her apart and burn her. I truly, truly wish to do so."

"FOR THE LOVE OF… SHUT UP, WRATH!"

Celestia and a few others jumped at his yell. The princess, however, smiled proudly again.

"Commanding the Demon Beast to be silent. I truly can't doubt your strength after witnessing that," she laughed.

"Yeah, now if only that seal or this necklace came with a mute button," he joked. And despite the rather grim topic of the jest, everypony laughed.

In the aftermath of that, dessert was an even more enjoyable affair. It was like Ray's forgiveness of Celestia had given a new air of merriment to the already joyous occasion.

Celestia dug in eagerly to her cake… until a profiterole splatted against her cheek and stuck there. She whipped her head in its direction to see Ray beam innocently at her. With a smirk, she flung her cake back at him. Those shots fired soon had the whole table devolve into a massive food fight.

Dusk didn't envy the palace servants who would have to clean up afterward. There were no real casualties, apart from Rarity's mane and she made sure Ray knew of her displeasure by shoving one more cake in his face. But nopony else really minded, especially not Pinkie who assigned herself to 'clean-up duty'. Everypony else started to mingle again.

While gazing around the room, Dusk noticed that Luna was conspicuously absent. He caught sight of the end of her tail disappearing around the door. Nopony else appeared to notice her departure. He followed her, seeing her walk at a quick pace towards the stairs. He kept at a distance, having a hunch on where she might be going.

Using the shadows to stay hidden, he stayed on her as she exited the palace and wandered alone through the quiet streets to the very edge of the Crystal Empire. She stopped at its borders, gazing out at the frozen tundra bathed in the glow of her night sky. She must have known Dusk was there, for she didn't object when he stood by her side.

"There's been no sign of him?" he asked.

She shook her head sadly. "I expected not but… I had some hope that on this day, he might… it was foolish of me."

"It's not foolish to have hope," comforted Dusk. "You'll see each other again someday."

"Why not today though?" Tears began to creep down her cheeks. "I miss him, Dusk. I miss him…"

"I know." He hugged her and she returned it. "It's okay, Luna, it's okay…"

Dusk didn't really know how long they were there in each other's embrace while Luna wept quietly into his shoulder, but when he looked back out to the snowy fields, something had been left not far from where they were that wasn't there before.

He gently pulled away from Luna and approached the object, picking it up with his magic. A smile came to his face when he saw what it was and he returned to Luna with it.

"I think this is for you," he said.

It was a heart made from a red crystal as big as Luna's hoof that certainly wasn't the result of any natural phenomenon. Inscribed on the back was a message.

It was always yours.

The tears came again from Luna's eyes, but they weren't out of sadness. She held the heart to her breast like it was the most precious thing in the world while Dusk watched on.

"Dusk? Would you… would you mind making a message?" she asked.

He nodded. Weaving the shape with his magic as he had done for the king when he'd first met him, Dusk created a shape in Luna's image and motioned for her to proceed.

"Thank you, my crystal king. I love you and… and I miss you. Please, come back to me soon. Happy Hearth's Warming."

Her message finished, Dusk sent the colour form galloping silently off into the tundra. They watched it leave until it was a faint glow in the distance. Luna didn't need to ask and Dusk didn't need to explain. It would find Sombra.

Together, the two of them walked back towards the palace. When they got there, Twilight was coming out of the doors and she smiled when she saw them.

"There you two are!" she beamed. "We were wondering where you were. Where'd you go?"

"Nowhere special," replied Dusk. "Just an important matter we had to attend to first."

"Okay fine, be secretive about it," she teased. "Come on back inside. Applejack's broken out the hard cider and Rainbow's challenged her to a drinking contest. I don't think we'll want to miss this."

"No." Dusk exchanged a smile with his teacher. "No, we wouldn't."


Fallen continued to watch from the shadows on the outskirts of the small town of Trotdon. The cold bit at his flesh through the folds of his robes, but he wasn't about to let such a petty thing bother him. He hadn't waited a thousand years to be driven off by the winter weather.

His quarry conducted his business a short distance away, packing his entertainment items away in large boxes and loading them into a stagecoach. A short while ago, he'd finished putting on a large Hearth's Warming performance for the town's inhabitants. It was met with excellent reception; even Fallen had been entranced on numerous occasions. The pony truly had a gift for his craft.

Memories stirred inside him at the thought of this celebration. Of warm fires and warmer smiles against the bitter cold of winter. Merriment, brotherhood and camaraderie with those whom he considered closer than family. The rejoicing of the magic they shared and had made those winters much less cold…

But those times were gone. Lost to him over the millennia. Much had changed and those times would never come again. To dwell on the past was unnecessary, with a boundless and glorious future waiting to be held within his grasp.

A future that this stallion, in what vestiges of hope remained to Fallen, would aid him to achieve. Though admittedly, Fallen had his concerns. He was never one to be overly optimistic, and so he had acknowledged the possibility that this particular prospective cast member might not be so willing to follow his vision. He did not doubt his own ability to handle the situation in such a case, but as they said, it never hurt to be cautious. For that reason, Snick and Slash were both hiding separately in the shadows, ready to assist should the situation get out of hoof.

He had to wait for a while longer, but eventually his target appeared around the corner at the head of his stagecoach, pulling it along the darkened snowy street by himself as he made toward the town's edge. When he passed by, Fallen got a closer look at him and his apparel. Like Fallen himself, he was dressed in a full-body cloak, complete with a hood that concealed most of his face. However, his cloak looked to be made of a rather thin material, judging from how it moved in response to the breeze. And yet the chill didn't seem to be affecting the stallion much, if at all. Nor did his burden of a whole stagecoach, for that matter. Most ponies would wait until it was day time - as well as warmer outside - before attempting to go anywhere whilst so heavily encumbered. Fallen found himself intrigued. But more than that, he remained focused on his objective.

The stallion passed by Fallen without incident, the wheels of the stagecoach leaving silent tracks in the snow. Fallen waited slightly longer, and then moved out onto the street, tailing his target out of town. Behind him, he could sense both Snick and Slash moving in pursuit as well, though staying out of sight.

In that procession, they made their way out of Trotdon and into the surrounding countryside. The stallion didn't seem to notice him, instead moving ahead along the trail normally. It went as such for some time, with Fallen staying the same distance behind the stallion. They walked until the decorated town of Trotdon became a nought but a collection of glimmering lights in the distance. The fact that they'd gone this long without incident was beginning to cause more concern to Fallen than if they had.

And suddenly, up ahead, the stallion stopped. Though the sound was muted through the snow, he noticed that the stagecoach had ceased it's creaking. Fallen immediately gathered that perhaps his presence had been noticed. All the same, he did not break his stride, lest he seem more suspicious. After all, his goal was indeed to speak to this stallion. Now that they were out of town, there was no need to remain concealed.

"Greetings, my friend," said Fallen in his most diplomatic voice as he approached. "May I wish thee a Happy Hearth's Warming."

The stallion turned around to face Fallen. He could not see the stallion's face, but he could hear his voice; smooth, worriless. As though he had not a problem in the world.

"Well hello there, traveler," he responded. "A Happy Hearth's Warming to you as well."

Fallen nodded and stopped alongside the stallion, pretending to look him over. "Pray tell, art thou not chilled by the night air in such meagre clothing?"

The stallion seemed to chuckle. "I could easily say the same for you, could I not? Neither of us is quite aptly dressed for this weather. I wonder why that is?"

Though the question had been asked in a nonchalant tone, Fallen could feel something in the stallion's voice; the vaguest hint of something more threatening. A lesser pony likely would not have picked up on it. For now, he continued to play along.

"I cannot say for certain," he replied. "I confess, however, that thou hast been beholden to mine sight before this meeting. I witnessed thy performance prior. Most entertaining."

"Ah, did you now? I'm glad to hear it. I always enjoy hearing the opinions and praise of my audience. Tell me, did you wait for me by the road out of town and pursue me all the way out here just to share your thoughts on my show?"

"In part, but nay. I come with a proposition for thee."

"An offer for work?" The stallions cocked his head. "I appreciate it, but I operate on my own schedule. Many places to visit, many shows to perform, you understand…"

"But surely thou seekest a greater opportunity to prove thy worth?" asked Fallen. "Thy talents are unique, unmatched in any regard. Such talent deserves to be put to greater use, as I am certain thou desires it to be."

The stallion seemed to stare at Fallen for a while, completely unmoving, before he responded. "You speak with a great deal of confidence and commandment. I get the feeling you know what it is you are talking about…" He raised a hoof a pointed behind Fallen. "Tell me, are those two hiding in those trees over there in on this, or are they simply a couple of eavesdroppers?"

Fallen was taken aback. He knew of the twin's presence? His intrigue increased.

"Come!" he barked. They landed lithely next to him, bodies tensed. "Thy perception serves thee well, Ligne Grace."

"Oh-ho-ho, so you know my name as well. And here I thought I was doing such a good job of keeping it a secret. Well then, this just got more interesting…" With that, the stallion pulled down his hood.

A young face of a unicorn, with light brown fur, half-lidded dark brown eyes, and light red, rose-colored mane, was revealed in the moonlight. Nothing out of the ordinary, certainly. Though there was something off about his expression. His smile was simple, polite, and yet something was just wrong with it. His eyes as well, seemed… disturbing. Indeed, a reflection of this stallion's true nature, Fallen thought.

"Now that our facades are stripped away, we may speak freely," said Fallen, dropping his friendly tone. "What I said was true. I can offer thee much, Grace. Freedom to continue to hone and refine the talent thou holdest so dear. If thou would but join my troupe."

"Interesting choice of words. How eloquent." Grace watched them for several moments with an odd gaze, his smile never faltering. When he spoke again, it was with the same, friendly tone, albeit with a more… sinister intent, Fallen sensed. "I admit, I am interested by this offer of yours. For the fact that you seem to know who I am and yet still desire my services, if nothing else. However, you must understand… somepony like myself must take great care in who he trusts. It would hardly behoove me to simply go along with you and find myself in a dungeon somewhere, now would it?"

"Thou would be of no use to me behind bars," assured Fallen. "Thine imprisonment is not my intention."

"Well that is a comfort. However, there is… something else." His teeth showed as his lips parted slightly into a small grin. "I see before me not one, but three very interesting subjects… and I've just come from a town with a noticeable lack of talent, you see. So at the moment, I'm more concerned about you than I am about your proposition. Tell me…"

He raised his hoof suddenly and flicked it. With that small motion, the entire left side of the stage coach folded inward, exposing its contents to the cold air. Fallen could hear something from within… the sound of wood creaking, and something clattering. Grace continued speaking, with an oddly happier tone seeping into his voice.

"...what do you have to offer me, truly, that beats what I see before me now? I heard your offer of freedom to hone my talents, and while that does interest me… frankly, I've always had trouble with long-term commitments."

Their reactions were instant. Together, Snick and Slash stepped forward. Upon their forelegs, blades flashed beneath their robes. Fallen's horn glowed. As the abundant darkness around them amassed, so too did the sharp tips of crystal. At the same time, he drew his blade beneath his robe and walked ahead of the twins.

"Do not insult me with thine insolence, boy," he warned. "Thou art a fool if thou thinkest thou could even begin to engage me in combat. I have fought far greater and more terrible things than thee before the entirety of thy family was even conceived."

"Ooh, now that is a rather hefty claim," Grace said, again sounding more friendly than even remotely scared. "Of course, I've heard worse on occasion, even if the speech mannerisms are… new. Still, I'm afraid you'll have to do slightly better than that."

Fallen said nothing. He halted in his approach, but the crystals continued to surround Grace. At the same time, he drew his sword in its entirety and flared his wings, taking the sword in his left hoof. The wings kept him aloft while he pointed the tip of the blade at Grace.

It had the desired effect. Grace's eyes widened slightly, and his smile became a flat line. "An… Alicorn?" he muttered. "I thought the only Alicorns were the Princesses…"

"Such power resides in those with the strength and worthiness to use it." He did not withdraw the blade. "Now, wilt thou dance to mine tune, or shall I cut thy strings?"

It was tense for many long moments. Fallen and grace stared straight at one another, neither making a move, while Snick and Slash both prepared themselves for seemingly-inevitable combat.

It was proven for naught when Grace's smile returned. Instead of making any offensive gestures, he flicked his hoof again, closing the door to his coach.

He shook his head as he spoke. "Very well, you win. I do seem rather outmatched at the moment, don't I? An Alicorn on one end, two rather intimidating-and-capable-looking ponies on the other… well, if it satisfies you, I will see what it is that this 'offer' of yours entails."

"A wise choice." The crystals receded. He sheathed his sword. With a nod, Snick and Slash stood down. "Come then, Ligne. The journey is long and there will be much to see."

"Yes, I'm sure it will," he nodded, waiting until his new apparent employer was ahead of him before he moved.

The other two stayed behind him. Trying to make sure he didn't attempt to get away, it seemed. Not that he had any intention of doing so. On this jolly night, an Alicorn of all things approaches him and makes him an offer? Freedom to continue his pursuits? Just how, he wondered, did this mysterious Alicorn intend to keep such a promise?

In the end, it did not matter. For the first time in a very, very long time, Ligne Grace's life seemed to have gotten interesting again.

Author's Note:

How's that for a Christmas present! It's no exaggeration that myself and my invaluable partner in crime had a very fun time writing this, as I hope you all had reading it. Thank you to all our readers who remained patient and understanding with significant delays these past few months. Consider this our gift to you.

Merry Christmas everyone and have a very happy new year. Be strong, be swift, be just.