• Published 27th Dec 2013
  • 3,246 Views, 301 Comments

A Ray of Dusk - AlphatheGriffin17



The changelings are gone, Canterlot is safe and the fighting is finished. Little do Dusk and his friends know that the battle is far from over and the war is just beginning.

  • ...
11
 301
 3,246

The Light Dims

Dusk stirred as the morning rays of Celestia’s sun began to poke through his curtains. He blinked a few times, letting his eyes adjust to waking at the start of a new day.

He lay in bed for a few more minutes before resolving, reluctantly, that it was time to get up. He pulled the covers off his bed with his magic and stretched. Shaking his head a few times to clear it, he walked over to the window.

Opening the curtains, he could see signs of life in the streets outside. Other ponies at their windows. A few others already in the streets. The blue sky was frayed by patches of cloud but it looked like it was going to be a good day.

Just another day in the city of Canterlot.

Dusk frowned. Something about that didn’t sound right. But he couldn’t say exactly what. It was just a… a feeling.

“Just another day in Canterlot,” he said out loud.

Nothing that time. He took a moment, shrugged and moved to his bathroom.

He splashed some water on his face and ran a comb through his mane. It was only partly successful in taming it, but it was how he liked it. His vision was still a little off though. Perhaps if he put on his glasses.

He paused again. Where had that come from? He’d never needed glasses. His vision was fine. He must still be feeling groggy. It was early, after all.

He took a step back to look himself over. He gave himself a shake to make his fur look a little less matted. Did he need a shower? No, he had one the night before, it was fine. His eyes roamed down to his cutie mark. An unrolled scroll, signifying…

Dusk did a double take. That wasn’t his cutie mark! His cutie mark was… was…

No, what was he thinking? Of course this was his cutie mark! What else would it be? It wasn’t like he had any other ones. So why had he thought that…?

He rubbed his temples. This was turning out to be a strange morning, it seemed. Had he hit his head during the night or something? He was tempted to back to bed, take it easy for the day. But he resolved not to. After all, he had something of a personal mission today. The same one he had every day and had never followed through. But today would be different.

Fitting, really, given that the longest day of the year was on the horizon. Right at the time of the Summer Sun… Celebration…

Once again, he had that feeling. It was accompanied by a slight pang in his head. He glanced his reflection in in the mirror and froze. For a brief instant, he could have sworn that his cutie mark had… changed?

But then he blinked and it was as it should be, though that pang in his head lingered. He rubbed his temples again. He just had to stop dwelling on these random thoughts. They clearly weren’t doing him any good. Maybe once he got started, had some food in him then he’d start to feel better. He quickly brushed his teeth and set off for the door, reaching out for his hat with his magic.

No, no he didn’t own a hat. He’d never owned a hat and even then, why would he consider wearing a hat like that? Did he feel some ridiculous need to stand out, to look different or had he convinced himself that it was stylish somehow? Well, it wasn’t. It wasn’t suited to him and nopony would think he was interesting just because…

He shook his head again. Don’t dwell on the thoughts, he told himself. Just focus on the day ahead.

Making his way through the school corridors, he headed towards the cafeteria for some breakfast. He could feel his stomach growling at the thought. Perhaps Spike would be preparing some of his renowned hay bacon, with a side of fried…

No, he didn’t know anyone called Spike. He didn’t have any friends, he’d never had any friends. He growled through gritted teeth and shook his head furiously. A couple of other students looked at him curiously and he hurried off, his cheeks warm.

He did get himself some eggs and hay bacon, trying to ignore the random thoughts that these weren’t as good as Spike’s. There was no such person and if there was, he didn’t know them. He wolfed down his food and hurriedly put away his plate, heading off for his next destination. The library. For one thing, he had an assignment he needed to complete and for another… it was for a chance at seeing her…

She rarely came to the main library, of course. She had her own private suite, complete with a personal library. But every now and again, she’d come to the main one if she didn’t have a book in the collection the Princess gave her. That was how he’d met her, when she asked him to borrow the book he was reading. Of all the ponies in the world, he felt like she was his only chance at friendship. That was why, today, he was going to talk to… to…

He yelped as the most painful ache in his head hit him. But he had talked to her. She was his friend! More than that, she was his marefriend! And it wasn’t just her. He had other friends too, so many of them. So why was he thinking like this? Why did he believe that he didn’t?

More to the point, had he really done this for ten years? Just waited in the library, watching and waiting for a pony he barely even knew in the hope of talking to her? Watching her from afar, building up this idea of her in his head? Shame and disgust wallowed in Dusk. How had he not realised just how… how creepy that was! Ray was right, how had he not…?

But who was Ray? He didn’t know anypony called Ray! He didn’t have any friends, he’d never spoken to Twilight Sparkle in his life! But maybe one day he would, today he would and then everything would be… would be…

“Agh, what is wrong with me?!” he yelled. “I can’t focus, I can’t… I can’t think!”

“Um, are you okay?”

Dusk looked up. A pair of mares had approached him. The one speaking, with green fur, looked concerned. Her dark pink friend looked somewhat irritated.

“I’m… I’m uh…” Dusk didn’t know what to say. Ponies didn’t talk to him. He wasn’t interesting, wasn’t special. But that wasn’t true. “I’m sorry, I uh…”

“Why are we doing this?” the dark pink mare asked. “Come on, you know this guy just keeps to himself. I say we let him.”

“But he’s not looking well,” said the green mare. “We should at least take him to see the nurse. Do you need help there, sir?”

“I… I might do, Mirror,” Dusk murmured. “I’m sorry, I don’t know what’s-“

“How do you know her name?” snapped the dark pink one. “Something you want to tell us, mister?”

Dusk was taken aback. “I-I don’t know, Prim but I… wait, your name is Prim Proper, isn’t it? And Mirror Shine?”

The two mares were staring in shock that he was feeling. How did he know their names? He’d never said a word to these mares in his life! Did they share some classes? Had he heard them then?

“Have… have we met before?” asked Mirror. “I’m really sorry, but I don’t remember your name. What was it again?”

“I-It’s Dusk,” he said absently. “And we have. At the… at the Grand Galloping Gala, just this year. I think… yes, that was it.”

“What are you talking about? This year’s Gala isn’t for months!” Prim glared suspiciously at him. “Maybe you’re right, Mirror but whatever’s wrong with this guy, I think he needs more than a nurse.”

“Prim, don’t be like that! He’s obviously just confused. Look, Dusk right?” she asked. “Do you want to come with us? Maybe we can help you.”

“Mirror, you can’t be serious! This guy’s obviously not right in the head or he’s some weird stalker! Is that it, Dusk?” She rounded on him. “Have you been following us?”

“No, no, that isn’t…!” He winced as his head hurt again. “I-I’m sorry, I need to go.”

He galloped between them, ignoring their calls until he was out of sight. His head was hurting even more than ever. Where were all these thoughts coming from? Names of ponies he’d never spoken to, events that hadn’t happened yet, memories that were his and yet weren’t. This wasn’t… it wasn’t right!

He looked around, seeing his reflection again in a nearby window. But it was different. He had glasses on and a trilby hat on his head. He internally cringed at the latter. What was he thinking, wearing that stupid looking thing? He didn’t look cool, he looked like he was trying to be cool and failing miserably. He almost wanted to reach out and slap the reflection

But then there was his cutie mark. It wasn’t the scroll he always had. It was a collection of different coloured tear drop-shapes arranged in a circle around a blue orb at its centre. The orb was the same colour as his fur. The others… he didn’t know what their significance was, yet he felt like there had to be some reason for it.

When he looked back at his flank, his cutie mark was still his scroll. He looked at his reflection again. He blinked a few times, rubbed his eyes and closed them for a few seconds. It didn’t make a difference. It was still there, staring back at him.

“Am I… am I going insane?” he murmured to himself. “I mean, I’m talking to myself for one thing. First sign of madness. But… but what is this? Why is this happening?”

He took a few breaths to try and calm himself, then paused to think. There had to be a reason for this. Perhaps somepony was conducting some elaborate prank? But who? Who even knew him at all to try that? Who cared enough? Nopony, that was who.

He let some of those thoughts come back. There were the things to do with his appearance, but was that just him? He looked around and saw another mare with green fur. This wasn’t Mirror, she was different. She had a lyre cutie mark and seemed friendly enough.

“Excuse me?” He waved her over. “Sorry to bother you, but can I ask for your help?”

“Uh, sure.” She looked a little perplexed at being called out by a random stallion and he couldn’t blame her. “What do you need?”

“This may sound odd, but do you notice anything about my reflection?”

“You’re right, that does sound odd. But let me see.” The mare smiled patiently and looked from him to his reflection. “Uh… I’m sorry, what am I meant to be seeing?”

“You mean you don’t see anything?” he asked her. “Nothing out of the ordinary?”

She shook her head. “Nope, sorry. I mean, if you want feedback, I’d say your mane could do with a comb but I don’t think that’s what you mean.”

“No, it isn’t though you are right,” he agreed. “It’s fine. Thank you, Lyra.”

“No problem. Wait…” She frowned at him. “Do we know each other?”

Dusk felt his stomach drop. He’d done it again. His heart beat against his chest as he tried to think of an appropriate response.

“I uh… I think we’re in the same class,” he said quickly. “Anyway, thank you for your help, bye!”

He hurried off again, not looking back until he was around a corner and out of sight. He could feel Lyra’s stare while he ran. Again, how did he know who she was? He hoped that she wouldn’t think he was some kind of creep like Prim did, though he wouldn’t blame her if she did think so.

He stopped again in one of the courtyards. A decorative fountain was set in the middle. He cautiously approached it, hoping that his reflection was back to as it should be. But it wasn’t and he slapped the water’s surface in frustration. It did nothing to change it.

So, to recap. He had knowledge of ponies he’d never spoken to and didn’t know who he was. Memories he was certain hadn’t actually happened, even though he could remember them. His reflection was different to what he actually looked like and only he could see it. Not exactly a convincing case for him not going crazy. Still, there had to be something…

What was today? The eve of the Summer Sun Celebration, of course. Something about the day stirred something in the memories that weren’t his and yet they were. Something of great personal significance to him. A name and a face came to his mind, unbidden like the others but he focused on it now.

His eyes snapped open. Of course! Princess Celestia! If there was anypony in Equestria who could help him now, it was her. But he couldn’t just go up to her, just like that. She was the Princess and it was the day before the Summer Sun Celebration. She’d be busy with preparations, no doubt. He didn’t even know where to find her…

A glow got his attention and he yelped. Unconsciously, he had weaved a colour puppet in her image. He looked around and thankfully, nopony saw it. He started to make it go away, when it did something… odd. It moved, of its own accord. It cantered silently in the air, pausing to look back at him.

Dusk stared openly. Now, on top of everything else, his magic was acting up. Worse, it was the kind he wanted to keep hidden. Nopony could see him use this. What would they think of such an oddity? Yet at the same time…

“Do you… do you want me to follow you?”

He felt stupid asking. The puppets had no will of their own and they couldn’t speak. Yet this one remained where it was, looking at him without eyes. This had happened when he wanted to find the Princess. Perhaps this was somehow leading him to her?

“Alright,” he said. “I suppose a bit of oddity is a small price to pay, given the circumstances. Once more unto the breach!”

He cringed again. Quoting Shakesmare? Really? No wonder he didn’t have any friends, if he was this pretentious. Maybe that’s what his reflection was, having devolved into some sort of sad hipster who quoted things he’d read and wore glasses and a hat because he thought it made himself sound and look clever. His cutie mark looked rather artsy too so maybe…

All the more reason to get to the bottom of this, he thought. He followed the puppet and it went on ahead of him, leading the way. Every now and again, it paused for him to catch up. It got some looks and exclamations from those it passed, but Dusk ignored them.

It led him to the base of one of Canterlot’s towers. He was so intent on following it that he didn’t see the guards at the entrance until they were ordering him to stop. In a split second, he had to choose between trying to explain himself or following his puppet. He went for the latter. He had just reached the top of the stairs and glimpsed Celestia on the balcony in front of him when another guard blocked his path.

“Alright, that’s far enough.” He wore the purple finish and plume of the Captain. “I don’t know what you’re doing here, but this area is off-limits.”

“Sir, please, I need to speak to the Princess,” he begged. “It’s a matter of great importance.”

“You and almost everypony else in Canterlot. I’m sorry, but her highness is very busy right now so if you’ll come with me…”

“Shining Armour, please, I need to see her!”

The Captain, Shining, stared. “How do you know my name?”

“I… I, uh…” Just as Dusk started cursing his strange condition, it revealed something new. “I-I know your sister! I go to the s-same school, actually.”

“Really?” Shining looked sceptically at him. “Funny, she’s not usually the sort for making friends and I’ve never heard her mention a stallion like you.”

“Now, now, Shining,” said a gentle, patient voice. “If this little pony is familiar with Twilight and attends my school, I think I can spare a bit of time for one of my other students.”

“As you wish, your highness.” He stood aside. “Go ahead, but I’ll be watching you.”

Dusk inclined his head and went out onto the balcony. There she stood. He’d seen her at the school, of course, but never in one of his lessons. He never realised how tall she was, how gracious her smile and how radiant her mane. It was odd to think of her, wolfing down cake and playing Pin the Tail on the…

He blinked a few times and shook his head. That was the last thing he needed to know. Doing his best to ignore these intrusive thoughts, he sunk into a bow.

“Your highness, thank you. I’m very sorry for disturbing you in this way.”

She raised a hoof. “It’s quite alright. I was rather intrigued when I turned around and I saw myself, or a very distinct version of myself, standing right behind me. Is this magic your doing, Mr…?”

“Dusk! Dusk Noir and i-it is, highness. I’ve been able to do it since I w-was young. Though… it’s never done anything like this before. Except for-“ He clamped a hoof over his mouth, but it was too late.

“Except for what, young one?”

“W-Well…” He gulped. “I-I’m sorry, highness. I w-was mistaken, I’ve never seen my magic do uh, that before.”

“Hmm. Very well,” she said. “It is quite beautiful and I noticed that it stopped before me. Is it some kind of locater spell?”

“Y-Your guess is as good as mine,” said Dusk. “I usually, well, just make them do whatever I want. They’re like um, like puppets. I’ve… I’ve never shown it to anypony in case they thought it was s-strange.”

“That’s a shame, because I think it’s quite remarkable and very impressive.”

Pride welled up within him from the praise, especially concerning who it was coming from.

He inclined his head to her. “Thank you, highness. Y-Your sister said much the same about it.”

“My sister?” She frowned at him. “I’m afraid I don’t understand.”

“O-Oh!” Dusk clamped his hooves over his mouth again. “I-I didn’t… what I mean i-is that… I didn’t-“

“Dusk, if that is intended as a joke, then it’s in very poor taste,” she said in the tone of a mother scolding a child.

“I-I’m so sorry, highness! I didn’t mean to…” He stopped himself. This wasn’t going like he’d hoped. “Actually, that’s part of the reason I wanted to see you. N-Not your sister, I d-don’t even know her. I mean, how could I? She’s trapped in the moon, I couldn’t possibly-“

“You’re rambling, my little pony.” Though her voice was patient, Dusk could tell he wasn’t exactly endearing himself to her. “Please, tell me what troubles you.”

“Y-Yes, your highness.” He took a moment to collect himself. “You see, ever since I woke up this morning, things have been… different.”

“In what way?”

“I’ve… I’ve known things. Things I couldn’t know. N-Names of ponies I don’t know and memories that aren’t mine.”

She nodded slowly. “Like my own sister?”

“Exactly and that’s not all,” he went on. “When I look at my reflection, i-it’s me but not as I should be. My cutie mark is different a-and I’m wearing things I never would and… I don’t know what’s happening.”

“I see.” She considered a moment. “Well, I see only a young stallion with no accessories and the cutie mark of a scroll. Is that not what you see?”

“Not when I look in a mirror, no a-and I seem to be the only one who can see it.” He blinked rapidly and laughed awkwardly. “I-I know how that sounds, I know but uh… that’s just how it is. Is there… is there something wrong with me?”

“I wouldn’t say that, no. Have you spoken to your friends about this? Can they not help you?”

“I… I don’t have any friends, highness,” he said quietly. “Never have, really. Nopony aside from…” He trailed off as another thought struck him. “Your highness, does the name ‘Spike’ mean anything to you?”

“That’s the name of the assistant of my student, Twilight. He’s a baby dragon in her care.” She looked curiously at him. “Is that another name you ‘remembered’, Dusk?”

“I… I think so…”

He let his mind wander. He recalled the presence of a small dragon alongside Twilight. Dusk had definitely never spoken to him. And she was Celestia’s pupil, most students at the school knew that. She was always so wrapped up in her studies. It was why Dusk thought he might have a chance at friendship with her. If she was so devoid of friends, then perhaps…

That was when he realised. It all seemed to come back to her. Spike was her assistant. Celestia was her teacher. Even what was happening to him, it only got really bad when his thoughts turned to her. It was all centred on her. Which meant…

“Twilight Sparkle!” he cried. “I-I need to find Twilight Sparkle!”

Celestia’s eyes widened a fraction. “Do you? What is your interest in her?”

“She’s the key to all this, she has to be. Whatever’s wrong with me, she can help fix it,” he said more to himself than to her. “I should have known sooner. Given all the time I’ve known her, of course she would be.”

“Indeed?” Her eyes flickered briefly behind Dusk. “I don’t mean to be rude, but she’s never mentioned you to me.”

“Well, I don’t really know her. Sh-She asked to lend a book from me a long time ago and ever since, I’ve always hoped that I… that we might…” He rubbed the back of his head. “I-It sounds silly, I know.”

“That’s one word for it.”

“I’ve just never had the courage to speak with her. I always w-wanted to, but I’d lose my nerve, every time. One day, I always told myself, one day I will but I never did.” He laughed again. “Now, it looks like I’ll have to!”

“So it does.”

“I just don’t know why I didn’t see it sooner. But I do now! After watching and waiting for so many years, why wouldn’t it be her? It’s so obvious!”

“You mean to say,” said Celestia, in a slow, cautious voice, “that you have been watching my student from afar, without ever really speaking to her, for years?”

Dusk turned slowly to see her with growing suspicion in her eyes. He could hear the guards behind her shifting into position, closing in on him. Had they been what she was looking at? Shining Armour especially looked ready for a fight.

“I um…” He backed up slowly. “I-I realise that sounds uh, bad. But trust me, it isn’t. Please, your highness, you have to believe me.”

“I do, Dusk. I do believe that you need help.” She approached him too, that patient smile back again. “I would like you to come with me and we’ll get you the help you need.”

“No, no, please. Please, you don’t understand!” He looked to see the guards getting closer, the Captain glaring. “It isn’t what you think, I swear!”

“What, that you’re stalking my sister because of some obsession you have with her? Because to me, that’s exactly what it does sound like,” growled Shining from behind him. “I had a feeling about you and it looks like I was right.”

“Now, Captain. We just need to remain calm and all will be well,” said Celestia slowly. “Dusk, it’s alright. I can help you, I promise. But you need to come with-“

“No! No, you don’t believe me!” cried Dusk, edging towards the balcony limit. “You think I’m crazy, but I’m not! I just have to… I have to get to her!”

“Dusk, wait!”

“Grab him!”

Without thinking, he summoned an orb of colour and ran. It exploded in a flash of light, blinding those surrounding him and he jumped off the balcony. A balcony that was several stories up and with nothing to break his fall. He screamed, almost hoping for a Pegasus guard to grab him.

Then he landed on something soft. He dared to open his eyes. It was a… a cloud of some kind. But not a normal cloud. It looked like it was made from his magic. The same magic he used to make his colour puppets. But how was that possible? He couldn’t do anything like this.

But there was no time for that. He could hear Shining barking orders from above. He had to get away. He jumped off his cloud to the ground and ran. He could already hear the thundering of hooves pursuing him. There was no way he could outrun them! He was already feeling worn out.

The colours came again, this time around his hooves. They flashed bright pink and suddenly he was bouncing in the air. He waved his legs frantically as he came down, only to bounce off again. How bizarre he must look, springing over rooftops and towers this way.

He came down in an alleyway, panting and wheezing. He turned to run, but there were more guards coming. More from the other end. He couldn’t keep running, he had to hide! But there was nowhere here except a couple of trash cans and of course they’d find him there. What could he do?

A wave of cold swept over him and his vision darkened. Now on top of everything else, he was going blind! The guards were coming into the alley. They’d spot him and it would all be over. He cowered, hoping they wouldn’t hurt him badly.

“Where is he?” one yelled. “I saw him come down here. Did you see him leave?”

“No, nothing,” replied his fellow from the other end. “He has to be here, there’s no way he could have left without us seeing him.”

As they searched the nearby cans, Dusk was confused. They should have seen him. He was pressed against the alley wall, feet from them. How could they not? He looked down at himself and had to hold in a gasp.

His body was completely consumed in shadow. So much so that unless they knew where to look, they wouldn’t see him. They combed the alleyway in search of him, yet none of them ever raised the alarm or had their eyes settle on him.

“He must have given us the slip,” said one of the guards. “Spread out and search. He can’t have gone far.”

The others galloped off. Dusk waited until they were gone, then stepped out of the shadow. He looked back at the patch where he’d hidden, then at his horn. How had he done that? And all those things with his colours before? Was this in connection to everything else happening to him too? Well, whatever it was, he could use this to his advantage.

Using his colours and the shadows, Dusk managed to slip through Canterlot whilst escaping the notice of the guards. Being hunted like a criminal certainly wasn’t what he had in mind for today, but he just had to deal with it. Once he found Twilight, she’d be able to help him and then this whole thing would all be over.

By the time he got to the station in the lower town, he was worn out from so much use of his magic. There was no sign of any guards at the doors. Maybe word hadn’t reached them here and they were still combing the upper town. Time to move before that changed. Luckily, a train to Ponyville was just about to depart and he asked the stationmaster for a ticket.

“Two bits there, sir.”

Bits. He patted himself down and realised with a start that he didn’t have any bits! He hadn’t bothered to bring any from his room and he couldn’t go back to the school now, not after his display with Celestia. What was he going to do?

“I-I’m sorry, I don’t have any money. But you have to let me on the train, I need to be in Ponyville!” he begged.

The stationmaster was unmoved. “Sorry, sir. No money, no ticket. Now kindly step back, we’re about to head off.”

“No, wait, please!”

Dusk racked his brain. What could he do? He couldn’t just barge past, he’d be thrown off and nopony would just give him money. If only he could convince the stationmaster to… let him on board…

Another one of those unfamiliar, yet familiar thoughts came into his mind. With it came knowledge he didn’t know he had. A unique aspect of his magic. He reached into it and when he spoke again, his voice carried a different quality to it.

It would be best if you let me on the train.”

When he did, a small sliver of colour crept from his horn and into the stationmaster’s eyes. His expression shifted from stern to vacant.

“Yes, of course,” he murmured. “Please come aboard.”

He printed him a ticket and handed it to Dusk, though the movement was almost mechanical. Heading to the nearest car, he took a seat and examined the ticket.

So he could influence the minds of others as well. Like in that one story he’d read about an order of sorcerers with glowing swords. Part of him felt a little ashamed at having to do so, but it was necessary. He didn’t know what effect it would have and it’s not like he’d be doing it again. He just had to get to Ponyville.

He looked out the window, flinching at the slightly different reflection looking back. Why was this happening to him? He’d never caused anypony any trouble, never done anything wrong. He’d kept his head down, done what was expected of him, never been a bother. So why him? Why now? It had done nothing but cause him trouble. The sooner it was sorted out, the better. Then he could just fade back into the background and nopony would care. As it should be…

Annoyance flared in him. Had he always been so self-deprecating and never done anything about it? Wandering through life, with miserable clouds hanging over his head and waiting for somepony else to come and save him from his own despair? Never bothering to do anything to improve himself or make himself more approachable, but hoping that just passively waiting would be enough for somepony to come along and magically make everything better.

And yet again, he wondered why he had no friends. Still, that would change soon. Once he found Twilight, he could clear this up and then he could make things better. As if on cue, the conductor announced they were arriving in Ponyville.

He noted that the sun was setting by the time he got off the train. Now all he had to do was find one mare in a town he’d never been to, surrounded by ponies he didn’t know.

Except he did know them. Names and faces flashed in his mind again. Bon-Bon, Lyra’s marefriend. The flower sisters Daisy, Rose and Junebug. Derpy Hooves and her remarkably resilient rear-end. Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, Big Macintosh, Zecora, Mayor Mare, Gentle Dream, Nightfall, Shimmer-

“Stop it, stop it, stop it!” he yelled. “Whatever this is, please just stop!”

He managed to ground himself, ignore the flood of things that weren’t and became aware of just how this must look. Ponies were giving him odd looks. He tried to laugh and shrug before hurrying off, out of sight. What a great first impression. But he couldn’t worry about that now. He needed to find Twilight.

He racked his brain again, willing for more of this mysterious knowledge to come forth. It did in little bursts. She had come to Ponyville, at Celestia’s instruction to oversee preparations for the Celebration. The day itself was almost over which meant she’d be at the…

In his mind, he saw it. A library built into a tree! The Golden Oaks Library! Once again, it was so obvious! He sprinted back into town, casting his eyes about. It didn’t take him long to find it. As he approached, he could hear sounds of a large group of ponies inside. A party of some kind.

A party he hadn’t been invited to and didn’t know anypony at. Plus, it wouldn’t do well to draw unnecessary attention to himself as a gate crasher. Some of those at the party may have seen him at the station and he’d never get near Twilight.

He took a moment to think. Like him, she wasn’t very sociable and he couldn’t imagine her being in the party with everypony else. She’d be by herself somewhere, away from all the noise. Upstairs perhaps?

Making another white-coloured cloud, he floated up to one of the higher windows. He could make out shelves of books, a bed on one of the upper parts and rested on it…

It was her. She had a pillow covering her ears and looked very annoyed. Apprehension welled within him. He’d been nervous about speaking to her at the best of times. Now, he was going to have to try when she was evidently irritated. But he had no choice. It was the only way.

He gently pushed open the window, which fortunately wasn’t locked, and slipped inside after closing it behind him. She hadn’t seemed to notice, due to both the pillow and the noise downstairs. He crept up, heart pounding in his ears and sweat beading on his forehead.

“E-Excuse me?” he said gently. She didn’t look around. He nudged her with his hoof. “Um, Twilight Sparkle?”

“I already told you, I don’t want to join the- AGH!” She jumped when she saw Dusk. “What are you doing, getting that close?!”

“Sorry, sorry!” he said quickly. “I-I didn’t mean to disturb you.”

“It’s fine.” She let out a sigh. “Look, I appreciate the effort the townsfolk have put into this… party. But I’ve had a busy day, I’ve got a lot on my mind and I just want to try and get some rest. You can go and enjoy yourself, it’s fine.”

“I’m uh, not actually from Ponyville,” he replied. “I-I actually came here from Canterlot. To uh… to find you.”

She tilted her head. “You did? Why?”

A sudden surge of memories that weren’t his own started to stream in. Sitting down to breakfast with her. Helping her in the library. Going for walks around the town. Reading and studying together. Laying together on a couch, hugging her, kissing her-

Kissing?! That couldn’t be right. None of those things could be right! But then again… could they? Was it really so farfetched to hope? He was already talking to her, that’s more than he hoped he’d achieve. He just had to not say anything weird or anything he shouldn’t know about and it would all be fine.

“Uh, hello? Is something the matter?”

“N-Nothing, it’s fine.” He took a moment to focus himself. “Sorry, Miss Sparkle. M-My name is Dusk Noir and I… I need your help. You might be the only one who can.”

He felt a strange flutter in his chest when he called her ‘Miss Sparkle’. He was only being polite, why should he feel that? Twilight’s eyes widened in surprise.

“Really? And uh,” she said, getting off the bed as she did, “what is it that you need… help with, Mr Noir?”

“J-Just Dusk is fine and… well, it’s rather difficult to explain.” He followed her down the stairs to the open area below. “I’ve been having a uh… a very strange day. I-I don’t know the cause of it exactly, but I… I think it’s to do with you.”

“You uh, you don’t say?” She looked a little nervous, though that perhaps wasn’t surprising. He was probably asking a lot of her. “Well, you can tell me all about it. I just need to… to get my assistant! Yes, Spike! Then he can take notes and we’ll um, we’ll see what we can do.”

“Really? Oh thank you, Miss Sparkle!” He grinned whilst ignoring that flutter. “I knew you’d be able to do something!”

“Oh trust me, I’ll be… doing something.” She opened the door and grinned back. “Just wait here, I’ll be back in a sec!”

The door shut before Dusk could say anything else and he heard her trotting quickly downstairs. She must really be keen to help if she was in such a hurry. Not that he would have expected any less, of course.

Not to mention that he’d finally done it! He’d spoken to her! After so many years of losing his nerve and hiding away, he’d done it! It had been so much easier than he thought. Just one step closer to becoming potential friends, in his eyes. He might have gotten off on the wrong hoof with her teacher and her brother, but maybe she could smooth things over with them.

He took a seat to wait and started to peruse through these new memories. Now that he thought about it, a few of the ones before had been concerning events that hadn’t happened. He was somehow familiar with Celestia’s sister, even though she was trapped. He’d somehow met those mares at a Gala that hadn’t taken place yet. He’d read his fair share of science fiction stories. Could they be concerning events of the future, somehow feeding back onto him in the past?

If so, then it seemed he had quite a bit to look forward to. Examining the memories with Twilight, there were other ponies too. A Pegasus with a rainbow mane, another with long locks of pink. An earth pony who was bright pink and another with fur the colour of peach with a Stetson hat. A beautiful unicorn with a styled purple mane. They cropped up frequently in these memories. Could they be friends of Twilight’s and by a lucky extension, himself?

Dusk tapped his hooves in growing excitement. Perhaps he’d suggest this new theory to Twilight and see what she thought. He didn’t know how he’d ended up with these friends, if that’s who they were, but he was eager to find out.

Just when he was starting to think she’d been gone a while, the door opened. But it wasn’t Twilight who entered. It was the baby dragon who accompanied her, looking at Dusk rather oddly.

“Oh hello there,” Dusk greeted. “You must be Spike. Is Twilight on her way? I’m rather keen to get started.”

“Yeah, I’ll bet you are,” he replied, a suspicious edge in his voice.

“What is it? Has something…?”

He trailed off when five other ponies joined him. The ones he’d been seeing with Twilight in those memories. Names started to accompany those faces now, but he kept them to himself. They all had the same looks on their faces as Spike and it was making Dusk feel nervous.

“So this is the guy?” asked Rainbow Dash.

“Accordin’ ta Twilight,” said Applejack.

“O-Oh my,” stammered Fluttershy. “He’s… he’s n-not what I thought he’d be.”

“Maybe he’s not so bad?” suggested Pinkie Pie. “We could bring him in, see how he gets along.”

“Looks can deceive,” said Rarity. “And besides, I don’t think that would be appropriate, given the circumstances.”

“I’m… I’m afraid you have me at a loss,” said Dusk. He rose slowly to his hooves. “I-Is there something the matter, ladies?”

“It’s weird,” said Spike. His arms were folded. “Not long ago, Twilight and I got a message from the Princess. About a pony who showed up looking for Twilight and who seemed a little… off. She warned us to keep an eye out and if we saw him or he came looking for Twilight, that he should be handed over to the Royal Guard.”

Dusk’s stomach lurched. He started to wonder how she could have sent a message so quickly, then dispelled that thought. There were much greater concerns. Like the fact he was currently outnumbered six-to-one and that they were closing in on him.

“N-Now please.” He started to back away towards the window. “I… I know this d-doesn’t look good-“

“You’re darn right it doesn’t!” Rainbow zipped behind him, blocking off his access. “You seriously followed her here, all the way from Canterlot? Dude, you’ve got issues.”

“I-It’s not like that!” He scrambled away from her. “I really do need her help, I do!”

“You’re partly right.” Rarity’s horn was glowing. “You need help, but I don’t think Twilight is qualified to provide it.”

“Now simmer down there,” said Applejack, producing a rope. “This don’t have ta get ugly. Jus’ come along with us, there don’t need to be trouble.”

“Yeah, we’re really sorry about this,” said Pinkie. “But you scared our new friend and, well, that isn’t very nice.”

Fluttershy didn’t say anything. She stayed back, hiding behind her mane. They had him surrounded, at least two of them were physically superior to him and he’d never been in a fight in his life. His odds didn’t look good. If they caught him, they’d give him to the guards and he’d spend the rest of his life in a padded room somewhere. He couldn’t let that happen.

That was when he noticed the lights were still off. The room was practically bathed in dark.

“I’m sorry about this.”

“Get him, quick!”

Rainbow’s hooves were inches from him when he slipped into the shadows. But this time felt different. He couldn’t feel his hooves or his legs or anything! But he was still aware of his surroundings. Suddenly, walls didn’t feel like an obstacle and he passed right through the one he’d been pressed against.

He ended the spell, gulping down air and hurrying to his hooves. He dived into the space between two houses, just as he heard the window slam open. He hid in the shadows again and saw Rainbow Dash, glaring into the night.

“Ya see him?” asked Applejack.

“No, it’s too dark!” she reported. “If we get some light out here, we’d stand a better chance!”

“Ain’t no point now,” replied Applejack. “It’s almost time ta watch the sun rise. We’ll head with everypony over ta Town Hall and tell the guards there what happened, they can keep an eye open fer him. No way he’d follow us if we stick with everypony else.”

“Tell Spike to stick close to Twilight too,” said Rainbow. “If I ever see that guy again…”

She flew back inside and a few moments later, the ponies gathered started to file out. He could make out Twilight amongst them but Applejack was right. There was no way he’d be able to approach her now and those other mares were keeping a close watch on their surroundings.

He slipped away down the darkened streets, fighting back frustrated tears. So close! He’d been so close and because he’d been such an idiot before, it was all for nothing. If those visions were of the future, then it wasn’t going to happen anymore. Maybe that was for the best. A pony like him, who crept around libraries whilst being fixated on some random pony, didn’t deserve friendship…

Dusk snapped his head up. He couldn’t just give up. If what he saw really was the future, then he’d managed to make friends despite that. It was just because his head all mixed up with what he was and what he could be that this had happened. There had to be something else he could do, to use this knowledge to his advantage and not end up weirding out other ponies.

He paused to think, delving back into the memories. He had felt a sense of significance about this day in particular. The Summer Sun Celebration. The day when everypony gathered to watch Celestia raise the sun.

Only she wouldn’t. Not this year.

Dusk’s eyes turned to the moon. Stars looked like they were moving towards it and a moment later, the Mare in the Moon vanished. Because this was the longest day in a thousand years, when the stars would aid in her escape. The escape of…

The sound of thunder and lightning met Dusk’s ears. But there wouldn’t have been any storms scheduled for today. He galloped in its direction, just in time to see the doors of Town Hall burst open and what looked like glittering starlight fly from it. It looked a lot like how his colours did when he created them…

He ducked when he saw Rainbow shoot out after it, stopping when it moved too fast for her. Moments later, Twilight came running out in the direction of the library. Rainbow followed her and soon, so did the other four. But Dusk’s eyes turned to look where the starlight had gone. Towards the Everfree Forest.

Memories flashed in his mind again. He’d seen hints of them before, when he’d been with Celestia but they were in full force now. Another alicorn princess, smaller than Celestia with a mane of glittering stars and fur the colour of midnight blue. Luna, the long lost sister of Celestia. Formerly known as Nightmare Moon, the name she took when spite had driven her to bring eternal night to Equestria.

Everypony knew the story, of course. But this was the day (or night rather) when it was proven more than just an old pony tale. It was real and she was here. But it would be okay. Twilight and her friends were the six Elements of Harmony, who would play their part in defeating her…

And so would Dusk.

He could see himself, hidden away at the moment the Elements were used. Somehow, he had a part in this. He needed to be there too. Once he helped them stop Nightmare Moon, then they would see what he did. Then they would help him and everything would be as it was. The future he’d seen would come to pass and he’d have friends!

He set off towards the Forest. He couldn’t tell Twilight and the others now, not with what they thought of him as. Instead, he’d get a head start towards where he knew they would be, get himself into position. Once he did what he had to, the rest would fall into place.

He paused at the entrance to the Forest before setting off slowly inside. A strange place, full of ancient magic and bizarre instances. There was no control over the weather here, no ponies tended the land and yet the Forest ran wild and free. He’d never faced danger like this before.

Only he had. His visions showed him many times when he’d faced danger and overcome it. It showed him fighting. Monsters and ponies who meant him harm. But he hated fighting. The thought of violence was against what he believed in. There was always another way.

Or was that just easier to believe, than accepting that he was just a coward.

Before he could dwell too much on that, he heard voices getting closer. He jumped off the path and into the bushes. Just as he thought, the group of six were on the way. They hadn’t seen him, but he heard snatches of their conversation as they got closer.

“… keep an eye open for that weird stallion,” Rainbow was saying. “Bet you anything he’s involved in this.”

“I’m not sure I follow,” said Rarity.

“Oh come on, you saw what he did at the library! He literally melted into shadows and then suddenly, the Mare of Darkness shows up? He’s probably some kind of spy for her. Maybe he knew Twilight was trying to stop her so he wanted to stop Twilight first!”

“I’m not sure about that,” said Twilight. “But it would be good to be prepared for anything. Stay alert, everypony.”

Dusk waited until they had gone, but remained hidden. Things were worse than he thought. But it would be fine, of course it would. He’d seen the future, after all. How could it not be? As long as he helped to stop her, it would be okay.

But he had to get to where they were going first: the Castle of the Royal Pony Sisters to find the Elements of Harmony. They weren’t there, of course, the mares were the Elements but they couldn’t know that yet. From all those stories about time travel he’d read, telling ponies about future events could be disastrous and he’d probably messed things up enough as it was.

Transforming back into shadow, he sped through the forest ahead of them. It wasn’t as taxing as it felt before. In his memories, he’d apparently learned from Luna. Maybe he was stronger because it was night-time? Regardless, he wasn’t complaining.

Then he felt something literally yank him back into physicality. He slid along the ground on his belly, groaning whilst he pushed himself up. What had happened? What could have possibly done…?

“Well now, isn’t this curious?” a voice said behind him. “A pony with an affinity for the dark. How very curious indeed.”

With fur the colour of a starless night, a mane of shimmering smoke and icy armour glinting in the moon’s light, there stood Nightmare Moon. She regarded him with cat-like eyes with mild intrigue. She must have been the one who cancelled his spell.

Dusk considered his options. He wouldn’t stand a chance against her in a fight and if he ran, she’d just catch him. He saw how fast she could move. But he had sparked her interest. Perhaps…

In that moment, he realised this was his chance to use the knowledge he’d been given for something good. Yes, it might mean risking the future but he’d been given these visions for a reason. Maybe he could make a difference. He never believed he could before, but now he could! But he couldn’t tell her he was here to fight her. Perhaps he could trick her instead?

“I-I am, your highness.” He sank into a bow. “I uh… I witnessed your return in Ponyville and I have sought you out to um… to join you! Serve you in the night.”

“Indeed?” A sinister smile worked its way onto her face. “And what would you offer me?”

“A-As you see, I have affinity for the shadows. Not only that, but I…” He considered for a moment, wondering if he was doing the right thing. “I have knowledge of the future.”

“Now, that is an interesting claim,” she remarked. “Tell me then, little pony, what do you see?”

“I uh… I see the mares you follow.” He conjured their images with his magic. “Th-They seek the Elements of Harmony, to bring about your defeat.”

Nightmare Moon’s eyes widened. “The gift of Fore Sight…”

That name struck another chord in Dusk’s future memories, but he didn’t focus on it now.

“They uh, they’ll find them at the Castle of the Royal Sisters,” he went on. “I-If they use them, they’ll be able to-“

“You little foal!” she yelled. “I am well aware of their mission and their intent. Even if they do reach the Castle, they will not find the Elements there. Not if I destroy them first!”

“But your highness, the Elements aren’t at the Castle. Not yet,” he went on. “They’re travelling there, right now.”

“That… cannot be,” she murmured. “The Elements never left the Castle, I know this. Not unless…”

“Yes, highness. Those mares are the living essence of Harmony.” He showed her their cutie marks. “Their presence, combined with the remnants of the Elements, will be used to bring about the end of your night.”

Nightmare Moon stared at him in silence, watching his ‘vision’ play out in front of her. Dusk crafted it as he saw it in his mind: a blast of rainbow magic consuming Nightmare Moon as she cried out in silent defiance.

“I see,” she said. “But how do I know you are not simply deceiving me? You little light show is impressive, but for all I know, you could be allied with those same ponies and are merely wasting my time while they forge ahead.”

“I-I’m not, your highness! Because I… I…” He waited for something, anything to come forth from his visions. When it did, he blurted it out. “Because I know about the Seventh Element!”

“What?!” Nightmare Moon’s teeth bared in a snarl. “There is no Seventh Element, you foal!”

“But there is! You’re looking for it, you have one of the pieces with you and I… I know where the rest are!” he pressed on. “I have them, in my room at Canterlot. I’ve collected them, n-not realising what they really were but I see it now. Six stones, each with a different colour marked upon them. The one you have i-is the colour of my fur.”

Her horn glowing, she extracted something from her breast plate. A small shard of black stone with a dash of blue in its centre, just as he saw in his mind. She gazed at it for a long while, then back at Dusk. Slowly, that smile returned.

“Very well, my little pony. You have convinced me of your intent and your ability.” She leaned down to look him in the eye. “And what is the name of my new servant, may I ask?”

“D-Dusk Noir, your highness.”

“Then, Dusk Noir, let us go and gather our prize!” She became formless star smoke again, forcing him to adopt the same form when she shot towards him.

In a whirl of wind and darkness, Dusk tried to scream while they sped away. It briefly came into focus. His room in Canterlot and a small collection of stones that decorated his desk. The smoky starlight of Nightmare Moon snatched them up and then they were away again.

Just when Dusk thought he was going to be sick, he became whole again and felt cold stone beneath his hooves. They were amid the ruins of what may have once been a grand castle. Now, it had crumbled away with the passing of time.

“I have them, at last…” Nightmare Moon levitated the seven shards before her and passed them to Dusk. “I leave these with you, my faithful acolyte. Now I must go to try and impede the progress of those mares! See if we can’t eliminate the problem before it becomes one. Sequester yourself away for now and if I have need of you, I shall call on you.”

“As you wish, your highness.”

With one last leer, she became formless and flew off into the night. Dusk let himself grin, looking down at the shards. Of course what he hadn’t told her and which was the key to his plan was the other truth that had been revealed.

He was the Seventh Element, Unity. Now that he had all of the pieces, he only had to wait for Twilight and the others to arrive. He would wait until they were going to use the Elements, make himself known to join them in using their magic and they’d defeat Nightmare Moon together. Then everything would be as it should be. No more hiding, no more running, no more loneliness…

He took a moment to indulge in some of the more pleasant memories that were shown to him. Sharing homemade apple pie with Applejack. Helping make Rainbow Dash’s aerial performances look better with his magic. Enjoying many parties with Pinkie Pie. Caring for animals with Fluttershy. Helping Twilight and becoming closer to her every day, until one day…

It made him smile just to think of it and soon, he would experience it all properly. He wondered how far these memories went ahead until their cut-off point. How many other threats would they be able to stop because of his knowledge of what would happen? And it would be all because of him! He, unimportant, unremarkable Dusk, would become a hero! A hero with friends and so much more besides! He just had to ensure it would happen, which wouldn’t be too long now.

He could make out movement below. They were arriving into a lower part of the Castle, where the other Elements were stored. Or the stone remnants of them anyway. Twilight would try and make them work with her magic, then Nightmare Moon would bring her here. Once she made the realisation of what the Elements were, that’s when Dusk would jump in.

The only slight hitch in his plan was that Nightmare Moon knew what would happen now. Still, it was her arrogance that led to her downfall before and it would do so again. Especially since she didn’t know his role in what was to come. He could just imagine the look on her face! Or remember as the case was.

A midnight whirlwind appeared in the middle of the room, hurling Twilight out of it and leaving Nightmare Moon with the stone versions of the Elements. Hidden away, Dusk watched her charge the Mare of Darkness, teleport past and try to use her magic on the stone orbs. She failed and Nightmare destroyed the orbs, believing the Elements themselves were gone. Until the sounds of the others calling out came up the stairs and Twilight realised the true nature of the Elements.

“… because the spirits of the Elements are right here!” she cried, her friends standing behind her.

He could see the stone fragments start to glow. This was the moment! He stood up, to emerge and take his place among them. Nothing would be able to stop them now!

Until Nightmare Moon cackled anew. The starry smoke whirled around her and bolts of lightning shot out towards the mares. It struck all five of them, sending them flying back. They hit the stone ground and didn’t get back up. The fragments lost their glow.

“What? No, no!” Twilight ran to the nearest, Applejack. “What did you do?!”

“Fret not, little one. They’re not dead. Merely incapacitated. And I’ll soon put them, and you, in a place where you cannot threaten me. Where my sister sent me a thousand years ago!”

“No, you can’t!” cried Twilight. “This isn’t right!”

“Oh, but it is and it’s all thanks to this little stallion.” She looked at Dusk, who had frozen part way coming out of his hiding place. “He told me exactly what would transpire here and has helped ensure that nothing will be able to threaten my rule!”

“What?” She stared at him, eyes wide with hurt. “Y-You? But… why?”

“N-No,” Dusk began shakily. “This isn’t… I didn’t want…”

But it was lost amid Nightmare Moon’s cackling. Her horn flared and the prone forms of the other mares rose up. One by one, they vanished. When Dusk looked up at the moon, they appeared along its circumference. Just as its last prisoner had appeared, only smaller to fit them.

“And there we have it. But now that they are imprisoned, no longer a threat, their fate doesn’t have to be yours,” said Nightmare. “You have a powerful magic, little one. It could be put to great use in the new kingdom I aim to build. Join me, as Dusk here has and we can make this vision a reality!”

The betrayal, the anger in Twilight’s face was more than Dusk could stand. He hadn’t meant for this to happen! He desperately searched the memories that had come to him, trying to find something which might fix this. But there was nothing. There was too much of it and his head hurt to try seeing it all.

“Never!” Twilight yelled. “I’ll never join you! I’m not like him.”

“That is a shame. Very well.” Her horn glowed again. “You have sealed your fate!”

Even as she grimaced from the magic impacting her, Twilight remained defiant until she was gone too. Her image appeared in the moon shortly after. Dusk could only stare in dumbfounded, shocked silence as Nightmare Moon cackled again.

“Yes, it is quite a sight! It’s funny though…” She frowned. “In an odd way, I almost didn’t expect to win. But no matter. All that is left is to find my sister. Once she is gone, nopony will be left to stand in my way! You’ve proven yourself, Dusk Noir. When Celestia has been dealt with, I shall reward you greatly. Now, at long last, the night will last forever!”

Laughing like a maniac and becoming formless starlight once more, Nightmare Moon left Dusk in the ruins of the Castle, the fragments of the Elements at his hooves.

He stared down at them, not fully processing what had happened. She had won. Nightmare Moon had won. The Elements of Harmony were imprisoned. Twilight believed him a traitor. Celestia would be struck down. Equestria would never see the sun rise again.

All because of him.

“No. No, this can’t be,” he murmured. “I-I wanted to help. I was g-going to help! I was going to save the day! I didn’t want this to happen, I didn’t!”

A loud chortling made him turn. He looked to see a truly bizarre creature, made up of several different animals, rolling around in the sky and clutching his stomach.

“Oh my…!” He wiped tears away from eyes of mismatched size. “I knew this was going to be fun to watch, but even I didn’t expect that!”

“What… who are…?” Another memory came to Dusk. One that made him seethe with anger. “Discord.”

His grin widened. “Oh, you remember me? I’m flattered, truly. You’ll have to forgive me if I stare, Dusk. I do believe I’m seeing double.”

He snapped his fingers and a flash of light appeared. When Dusk looked, there was the image he saw reflected in the mirror, made flesh. It was still perfectly copying him like if it was just a reflection, but it was here.

“Of course. It all makes sense now.” He rounded on the draconequus. “You’re the one responsible for all this! Y-You did something to me, put me through all of-“

“I’m going to have to stop you right there,” interrupted Discord. “First of all, hard as it may be to believe, this situation wasn’t of my making. A much different kind of magic has brought about this… Reflection, shall we call it? Secondly, this is the first time you and I have spoken since your little trip started which means that all which has transpired is down to one pony: you.”

“Don’t think you can trick me, Discord!” he retorted. “I know the kind of things you find amusing and this is right up your street, by your own admission!”

Discord stroked his beard. “Well, I won’t deny I may have played a very teensy part. But really, I was a source of help.”

“Help? Help?!” Dusk gestured around. “You call this help?!”

“Indirectly, yes. You see, if you’d remembered everything about what you could have been whilst also trying to exist as you are now, your little head would have gone…” He paused to raise a balloon and make it pop with the sound of a chicken clucking. “I served to confine the information to what I felt might be relevant to you at the time, to see what you would do. I can’t say I’m disappointed with the results. You literally doomed the whole world! Brilliant!”

“What? No, this… this isn’t my fault,” argued Dusk. “Nightmare Moon did this.”

“Oh she was the instigator certainly, but as I recall, you were the one who told her exactly what to expect. You ensured that your former friends would never accept you by their side and you made yourself a wanted pony, in front of Celestia no less!” Discord chortled again. “Oh I wish I had a camera! Oh wait!”

One appeared in his hands and he snapped a picture. When it printed out, Dusk saw his startled face in one of those seaside attractions ponies stuck their heads into for a novelty photo. It was for a mare in a frilly swimsuit. Dusk batted it away and pointed accusingly at Discord.

“But you trapped me in here! Y-You created this alternate reality, stood back and watched what I’d do.”

“You’re two thirds right.” He held up three fingers and one of them flew off, twittering like a bird. “Once again, I didn’t create this little fantasy. I just happened upon it while you were in your current state and decided it would be fun to see what was going on. Aside from nudging you along a bit, all of this is on you, Dusky. Congratulations!”

Another flash and Discord was shaking his hoof while an audience made up entirely of Discords cheered and clapped. Dusk held a trophy, along with a sash which read ‘I doomed the world.’ He swatted away Discord’s claw and threw away the trappings.

“You really expect me to believe you have nothing to do this?”

“Believe whatever you want,” shrugged Discord. “It doesn’t change the result of what happened.”

“Well, there’s one thing you can’t argue. If you created this, you have the power to undo it,” he said. “You can’t just leave it like this.”

Discord rolled his eyes. “Oh, here we go again. Relying on somepony else to fix the big things and the problems he’s made for himself. Classic Dusk, right there.”

“I’m doing nothing of the sort! I’ve never done that!”

“Oh really?” His knowing smirk returned. “You know, after I was freed again, I decided to really take a look into you. Why you? What made you so special? What kind of pony managed to propel himself to such heights? I have to say, I was a little let down.”

Dusk frowned. “What do you mean?”

“Let’s take your earliest days, for example. Back when you totally weren’t stalking Twilight for ten years in Canterlot. Honestly, the choice of headwear was quite appropriate in that respect.” He waved a couple of red flags in his hands before snaking around Dusk’s shoulder. “Did you ever pluck up the nerve to speak to Twilight yourself? Nope. Did you ever have the courage to show off your fancy magic? Not even a little. Instead, you were quite content to loaf around, feeling sorry for yourself and in the end, our dear Celestia had to push you out the door. And I thought my old college roomie was passive. Yes, I know it was your cheese, Gerry! How about you come and say something, not leave little notes everywhere?!”

“What? No, that isn’t… I didn’t…”

“And then, the moment anything got the slightest bit challenging, you ran away. More than once, as it happened. Didn’t somepony coin the phrase ‘doing a Dusk’ at one point? That has to be awkward,” he remarked.

“But I… I came back, I didn’t…”

“Only because somepony else had to come and help pick you back up again. No self-determination, no real drive, just happily waiting for somepony else to fix the problem. Oh and then we come to the biggest thing of all. Your whole deal as the Seventh Element, because that’s never been done before,” he said with a pointed look off into the distance.

Dusk was starting to feel a little weak at the knees now, but Discord pressed on.

“I won’t deny I took a certain joy in knowing ol’ Fore Sight went cuckoo in the clock tower, ranting on about the dratted thing and spending the rest of his life looking for it. But then when I found out that not only was it real, but that he’d also written a prophecy about it, I could already hear the words ‘cop-out’ ringing in my ears.” The words literally burst from his ears with bells on. “I mean, a prophecy about a Chosen One, destined to save the day? What kind of sad, unoriginal mind came up with that overused wish fulfilment cliché?”

He looked off somewhere into the distance again. Dusk was about to say something when Discord suddenly snapped back.

“So when I saw you’d been placed back at square one, with knowledge of what was to come, I decided to play the part of a mostly distant observer to see how you’d cope with the power lying solely with you for a change and I hope you’ve realised an important lesson.” He poked Dusk in the head. “You can’t make sense of chaos and there’s nothing more chaotic than the future.”

“But… but I could see it,” he murmured. “I-I knew what was going to happen. What sh-should have happened.”

“Dangerous word, ‘should’. You think that just because you know what will happen, that this makes it so? I’m afraid that particular phrase only ever sounded good from one chap I know.” He suddenly wore a red and black tunic with some kind of triangle symbol on the lapel. “You’d need to lose more of your mane first before you tried it.”

“Discord, please. I… I don’t understand.”

“No, you never did and you were a fool to think otherwise. Just because you had such things like destiny and fate handed to you, that it would all just work itself out?” He leaned right into Dusk’s face. “In the real world, ponies don’t have prophecies and princesses to show them the way. They have to make do with what they have, make themselves special by taking control of their lives and charting their own course. You had the chance to see if you could sink or swim and you dropped like a stone, just because you thought it was all for you. Like you’re so special and it’s somepony else’s job to help you or somepony else’s fault if it all goes wrong.”

Dusk wanted to deny what Discord was saying, to throw it back at him and tell him he was wrong. But he couldn’t. His legs finally gave out and he let himself collapse, hanging his head as the sheer weight of the words pressed him down.

“I’ll admit, I was somewhat intrigued when I first found saw you. So much potential to be tapped. But when it really comes down to it, Dusk, there’s just not all that much to you. That’s what I find the most disappointing, honestly.” He walked away, looking back over his shoulder with a neutral expression. “Enjoy your new world, Dusk. After all, it’s thanks to you it exists.”

With a snap of his fingers and a flash of light, Discord left him alone in the darkness of a never-ending night.

Author's Note:

There won't be a shorter chapter this Sunday. The next update will be Friday 21st October. See you then!