• Published 27th Dec 2013
  • 3,246 Views, 301 Comments

A Ray of Dusk - AlphatheGriffin17



The changelings are gone, Canterlot is safe and the fighting is finished. Little do Dusk and his friends know that the battle is far from over and the war is just beginning.

  • ...
11
 301
 3,246

Game of Hearts

“Now, this is certainly travelling in style,” said Dusk as he sat in the compartment of Cadence’s Crystal train.

“I would have thought you’d be used to this sort of thing by now,” remarked the princess in question, sitting opposite.

“You would think so, but surprisingly no,” he said. “Still, I’m not complaining. Especially when it’s in good company.”

“Right back at you. Any excuse to spend time with my future brother-in-law.”

“Cadence…”

“Relax, I’m only teasing. Or am I? Sorry, sorry,” she giggled at his blush. “I’m the Princess of Love, can you blame me?”

“It seems not,” he muttered. “Are you sure it’s alright for you to take time away from the Empire like this?”

She raised a hoof. “Shining is more than capable of managing in my absence. Though I think he may have a little more on his hooves with the other two you and Twilight came back with.”

“Yes, thank you again for giving Trixie and Doom temporary lodgings,” he said. “At least until I’m able to speak to Luna and Celestia about their situation. It helps that Twilight stayed with Shining to help smooth things over.”

“That and I think she appreciates some time with her brother,” said Cadence. “If they can offer any insight into the movements of Soul and his group, I’m sure Celestia will appreciate it. Quite a reversal, considering the last time I dealt with Doom. Indirectly of course, but still.”

“Indeed,” agreed Dusk. “Still, it’s not the only reversal that’s happened recently.”

“I was about to say.” She glanced to the far end of the carriage. “He seems very engrossed.”

Dusk looked too. Sombra was sat by himself, a large stone tablet set before him. Every now and again, he’d jot something down on a roll of parchment before consulting it again. Even with the rocking of the train, he didn’t seem the least bit disturbed.

“It’s not that surprising,” said Dusk. “Apparently, even for him, the ancient language of the Empire is a challenge.”

“It’s so strange,” said Cadence. “Just a few months ago, he was threatening to reclaim the Empire. Now, he’s here and off to reunite with his long lost true love! Oh it’s so exciting!”

Dusk raised an eyebrow. “I thought you said you were here as part of your royal duties as Princess of the Crystal Empire and as its representative at Luna’s upcoming Star Celebration Ball.”

“I am! But again, that isn’t my primary title, is it? Did you honestly expect me to resist something like this?”

“An ulterior motive! Shame on you, Cadence.”

“I know, I’m so bad,” she tittered. “Oh I can’t wait to see how it plays out!”

“I have to admit, I’m rather intrigued to see it happen too. Just give me a chance to go on ahead first before you bring him in. They know he’s coming, but a little heads up when we get there would be best.”

Cadence nodded. “I agree. Then all we need to do is stand back and watch.”

Not for the whole thing, I should hope.”

“Oh shush you. Now, Dusk, it’s been so long since I last saw you! Tell me what’s new, I want to know everything. Have you picked out what you’re wearing for the Ball yet?”

As they settled into pleasant conversation, Dusk felt his eyes being drawn back to Sombra throughout. It had been quite surprising, to say the least, when he’d returned to the Empire with the contents of his Vault. This not only included treasures like jewels and finery, but historical artefacts and relics too. Though Cadence surprised him when she said they didn’t need gifts like this to show his willingness to make a change from his past. The mere willingness to do so was enough, though Sombra had still insisted regardless.

Dusk had to admit, he was rather excited to see the reunion between Sombra and Luna. His teacher’s heartache for her former love had been very evident and he could only imagine her barely contained excitement at the news of his coming. With how happy Twilight made him, he wanted nothing more than for Luna to share in that feeling. After waiting so long, she deserved it.

About an hour later, the train conductor announced their arrival in Canterlot. For the first time since he’d boarded the train, Sombra put away his notes and came to join them when they stood to leave.

“Nervous, Sombra?” asked Cadence.

“I am resolute, highness,” he answered. “A king doesn’t get nervous, even if he no longer has that title.”

“Well, I like your confidence. Even I felt pretty nervous before my first date with Shiny and I’m sure Dusk can tell you the same with him and Twilight.”

“I’ll be honest, sometimes she still brings our nerves in me,” he admitted.

“Good, can’t be too complacent,” she teased. “Right then, Dusk. Please go and announce us.”

They shared a grin and Dusk set off at a quick trot towards the throne room. Night had already fallen, which boded well for what he had in mind. When he arrived, it was only Celestia who was there to meet him, though she did so with her graceful smile.

“Good to see you again, Dusk,” she said. “When I got the news of who would be joining us today, I certainly didn’t want to miss it.”

“You’re not the only one.” Dusk looked around. “Where’s Luna?”

“Oh, she’s on her way.” Celestia’s eyes twinkled. “In fact, she should be here in three, two…”

The door behind Dusk suddenly burst open and Princess Luna whipped her head around.

“Is he here?”

“Not yet, sister. I believe your student has come ahead of them to tell us of their impending arrival.”

“Excellent, excellent!” She trotted on the spot with barely suppressed glee before remembering herself and clearing her throat. “Yes, well, thank you, my student. I will prepare myself at once.”

She crossed to join Celestia on her own throne. She sat down. Then she straightened herself up a little. Then she adjusted her crown. Then she straightened herself again.

As she did, Dusk frowned. Something was different about her…

“Luna, are you wearing your mane in a ponytail?” he asked.

“I am. What of it?” she replied haughtily. “Can a princess not wear her mane how she likes?”

“And… is that a hair clip?”

“Again, what of it? There is no need to make such a ‘big deal’ of it, as they say.” She frowned at Dusk. “That is what they say, is it not?”

“They’ve not told me otherwise,” he replied.

“Splendid! There we have it then.” She nodded smugly until she saw Dusk smirking. “What now?”

“Is that… lipstick and eyeliner?”

“Dusk, I fail to see why you are so fixated upon my appearance in such a-!”

“You look beautiful.”

“Oh hush!” She looked away huffily for a moment, then glanced back. “You truly think so?”

“Of course. said Dusk. “Not that you didn’t look beautiful before, you’ve enhanced it.”

Luna said nothing, but a strong blush came to her cheeks and she had to work harder to keep her grin in check. Dusk noted that Celestia had been mostly silent during the whole exchange and was looking at Luna with… what was that? Wariness?

But there wasn’t time to ponder that. Luna practically jumped in her throne when there was a knock at the door. Dusk couldn’t keep back a snort of laughter as he went to answer it.

“I heard that!” Luna snapped.

“Not sure I know what you mean!” He lowered his voice when he stuck his head out and saw Cadence. “Good to go?”

“Like you need to ask,” she replied.

Sombra said nothing, only nodding. If he was apprehensive in any way, he didn’t show it. Dusk nodded back and went back in.

“Announcing the arrival of Princess Cadence of the Crystal Empire and its former king, Sombra!”

He bowed and stepped aside as the doors opened. Cadence came first, her wings flared and a smile on her face.

“Hello aunties!” she greeted, flying over and hugging them. “Oh I’ve missed you both.”

“As we have you, dear niece,” said Celestia. “Are you well?”

“Certainly. I believe you’re already acquainted with my plus one, some better than others,” she added whilst raising her eyebrows at Luna.

Luna didn’t reply. Instead, she was staring very openly at Sombra. Sombra was staring right back at her. Standing next to him, Dusk could see his eyes widen a fraction, his lips purse together and his posture stiffen. He took a couple of involuntary steps forward but stopped himself. The eyes of all princesses, not to mention their guards, were on him.

“Sombra.” Celestia was the first break the silence. “Welcome to Canterlot. It has been many years since you last stood here.”

“Indeed, highness.” He sank to his knees. “I am honoured and humbled to stand in your presences again.”

“Sombra!” Luna looked embarrassed she had spoken, like his name escaped her before she could stop it. “It is… good to see you.”

Sombra’s eyes flickered up. A rare smile tugged at the corners of his mouth.

“As it is you, your highness.”

Luna blushed. So did he.

“I was surprised to hear of your return to us and of your intentions,” Celestia said. “I certainly hope we can forge stronger ties than have been in times past.”

Dusk frowned. Though on the surface this sounded sincere, something told him there was more to Celestia’s words than what she meant. Sombra seemed to notice too, as Dusk could have sworn he saw his jaw clench.

“That is my hope as well, highness. I do not wish to seem discourteous but the journey here has been long and I am tired. Is there somewhere I may retire?”

“Of course. We have a suite prepared for you, where you may work and rest. A servant and guard will be on hoof, should you need anything.” She let the silence and her gaze linger on him for a moment. “Cadence, Dusk, I don’t know how long you intend to stay but we have rooms prepared for you too.”

“That’s good of you, auntie, thank you. We’ll get going, no doubt you’re busy,” she said. “We’ll have a proper catch-up later.”

Celestia smiled. “That would be lovely. The guard outside will escort you to your rooms.”

Sombra rose. He inclined his head to Luna, let his eyes remain on Celestia and stepped out. Luna raised a hoof, seemingly to go after him but reconsidered and sat back. Celestia didn’t look away from Sombra until he was out the door. Cadence rejoined Dusk outside. The two reached Sombra but he didn’t turn to look.

“I must return to my work. Excuse me,” he said curtly.

They watched him go and exchanged a bemused look. Cadence gestured to Dusk to follow her and they moved in silence until they were out in the sculpture gardens.

“Well, that didn’t go quite as I expected,” she sighed. “Tell me I wasn’t the only one who felt like you could pierce the tension with a horn.”

“Not at all,” said Dusk. “Luna has waited for this day for so long and she’s not one to hold back when she doesn’t want to.”

“Even so, Dusk, she is still a princess. There’s a certain unspoken expectation of how to behave, especially in public,” she said. “You know how much of gossips the elite of Canterlot are.”

“Even so, I would have expected perhaps Sombra to speak with her in private after or something,” he replied. “Perhaps they’re doing so right now?”

Cadence shook her head. “I wouldn’t count on it. It’s really obvious what’s going on.”

“I’m afraid it isn’t to me. Perhaps you could elaborate?”

“Alright but you may want to sit down.” She waited until he did and cleared her throat. “First of all, Celestia clearly doesn’t approve of Sombra, nor him having a relationship with Luna.”

“That makes sense. She wasn’t approving a thousand years ago either, according to the king’s journal,” noted Dusk.

“There we go. But because Sombra’s been vouched for, by me of all ponies, she can’t really confront him about it. But she can make sure he’s kept under close watch, whilst also maintaining the guise of being a good host and providing security. The servant and guard can keep her appraised of his comings and goings whilst under that pretence. With me so far?”

“So far, yes. Go on.”

“Good. Now, Sombra knows this and I’ll bet Luna does too. But he knows there’s not much he can do. He’s on Celestia’s field, not his. He clearly doesn’t want to make a worse impression, given what he’s trying to make up for in the past, so he’ll play along and keep it to himself. He’ll tow the line, otherwise it’ll reflect poorly on him and possibly on Luna as well.”

“I understand so far.” Dusk stroked his chin as he processed this. “But what about Luna? This is her home, much as it is Celestia’s and she’s a princess too.”

“Her younger sister and the less publicly active princess, not to mention being gone for a thousand years,” corrected Cadence. “She’s definitely catching up, but there’s still areas she needs to work on and she’s not as socially active. Celestia doesn’t have that problem. Plus, despite what most may say, ponies still remember Nightmare Moon. A match like her and Sombra wouldn’t exactly be looked upon favourably, so she needs to tread very carefully or else it may give Celestia an excuse to take further measures against Sombra, again under the same pretence as before.”

Dusk scratched the back of his head. “So, in a nutshell, everypony knows what they’re doing in regards to certain thoughts and feelings, but nopony will act upon that because of the images they need to maintain.”

“I’d say you’ve got it.”

“Being a royal sounds exhausting,” murmured Dusk. “It’s times like this, I’m glad I’m not a princess. Or prince, I should say.”

Cadence tittered. “I don’t know, Dusk. I think you’d suit a dress.”

“You’re too kind,” he chuckled. “But you think there’s something there between them?”

“Oh I know there is. I could feel it, simmering away inside them,” said Cadence. “We just need to find a way to bring it to the surface.”

“Yes that would be… wait, we?” asked Dusk.

“Of course we! We both know there’s something there and that they’re going to need some help. She’s my aunt, you’re her student and we both know what Sombra has done to work back from his previous mistakes. Who better to lend them a hoof? Come on, Dusk! Fancy another team-up, this time on the battlefield of love?”

Dusk blinked. “That sounds like the chorus of a pop song.”

“And I’m proud of it! So what do you say, Dusk? Can I count on you?”

“Well…” Dusk considered for a moment. “Normally, I wouldn’t want to stick my nose in somepony else’s business, especially in regards to romantic affairs. But speaking as somepony who has been on the receiving end of a disapproving sibling, you certainly can.”

“I knew you would!” Cadence clapped her hooves together. “Right, now we need to find a way to have the two of them in the same place together. I can handle Luna, but do you think you could do something for Sombra?”

“I believe so.” Dusk gasped. “In fact, I may have just had an idea…”


“Thank you for agreeing to this, Sombra,” he said as the two of them made their way to the duelling arena.

The guard assigned by Celestia followed closely and the servant had left. Dusk imagined he’d probably be telling the princess about Sombra’s movement. Hopefully, that wouldn’t scupper his plan.

“It’s no trouble, young one,” the former king replied. “Though I was imprisoned within my own mind at the time, I recall you being a quick study with the blade in our last encounter. I owe you much as it is, it’s the least I can do to help instruct you.”

“I appreciate it and Sombra? For the record, you don’t owe me anything. As far as I’m concerned, you’re my friend. It’s just what we do for each other.”

“I see.” That small smile appeared again. “Very well then, my friend, I shall be happy to help improve your skill with a blade. Not to mention it will be good to help vent certain… frustrations.”

“To do with translating the tablet?” asked Dusk.

He snorted. “That is part of it. It has been some time since I studied the dialect in question. Translating it brings an additional challenge. But never fear, young Dusk. I vowed that I would do it and so I shall. I simply need time.”

“I don’t doubt that. Anything you’ve managed to decipher so far?”

“There is one rather curious element,” remarked Sombra. “I know of the Beast Wrath, the one contained within your friend Ray. Yet the tablet, on more than one occasion, has used a plural form when referring to the Beast.”

A pit of dread formed in Dusk’s stomach at this.

“You mean… there’s more than just Wrath?”

“I cannot be certain yet. It’s still in the early stages of translation and I need to verify I’m not simply misreading it. However…” He mirrored Dusk’s concern. “It’s rather a sobering thought, isn’t it?”

Dusk couldn’t bring himself to reply. He’d already seen the power of just one and it wasn’t even fully unleashed. If there were more and what Discord told him was true, about Fallen seeking out Wrath, did that mean he had designs on the others too? Did he intend to unleash them, find some way to harness or control them? If either one of those scenarios was true…

His worry must have been evident to Sombra, for he spoke again.

“I apologise for any undue concern I may have caused you, Dusk.” He placed a hoof on his shoulder. “Remember that I haven’t been able to verify fully yet if that is indeed what the tablet says. Let us wait until I have more definitive proof of these speculations before we let our minds run wild with the possibilities.”

“Yes… yes, you’re right.” He managed a smile. “Thank you, Sombra.”

“It’s no trouble. It is, as you say, simply what friends do.” He gave him a couple of reassuring pats. “Now come. Let us take our mind off these troubling things. Focus not on what we cannot control, but what we can do in the moment.”

“I couldn’t agree more,” said Dusk, leading him through the entrance way.

It was rather strange, walking into the duelling area. The last time he’d been here, he’d been getting the stuffing knocked out of him by Hard Edge. How much had changed since then…

Still, it was a good spot, used for training exercises by the royal guard. Dusk had checked their timetable and while the guard were scheduled for training, it wasn’t for a good few hours. It offered the perfect opportunity for what he and Cadence had in mind.

Sombra created two crystal swords and levitated one to him. These ones, Dusk noted, were smoothed and blunted around the blades.

“You are wise to be learning at least the basics. Fallen Soul is a very capable swordsman,” he said.

“So I’ve been told.” Dusk allowed himself a moment to test the sword’s weight. “Did you know him?”

“In passing. I trained with him during a visit to the Empire, when I was still king. I consider myself skilled and believed that a mere Pegasus could never match a unicorn’s natural abilities.” Sombra frowned. “Needless to say, I was humbled that day though my pride at the time refused to contemplate that.”

“He was that skilled?”

Sombra nodded with a grim expression. “Indeed. I am also given to understand that he was, in part, responsible for the manifestation of my darker self. Though I also attribute that to my own weakness as a stallion and a ruler, I am somewhat pleased to have a reason to ensure that a potential rematch will not end in his favour.”

“You may have to join the queue. I understand it’s quite a substantial one,” said Dusk.

“Quite so. Now, we have talked long enough and the day marches on. Are you ready to begin, my friend?”

“By your leave, Sombra.”

“Excellent. Now, first your stance. Keep your hooves shoulder width apart to give stability.” He watched as Dusk did as instructed. “Very good. Now, become accustomed to movement. Sword fighting is not unlike dancing, you never want to be stationary if you can help it. No, no, you’re too rigid. Loosen yourself a bit.”

They spent a few minutes making sure Dusk’s stance and way of standing were suitable, circling and moving around each other. Though it was essentially a ruse, Dusk still took the instruction to heart. Being able to properly use a weapon wouldn’t be a bad thing and like Sombra said, it would serve him well if he ever fought against Soul.

“Good, very good,” said Sombra. “Now, to begin, a basic deflection. Levitate the sword before you thusly. Yes, yes, like that. Now, when I thrust my blade, simply move it left or right to redirect it. Ready? Begin!”

The speed of Sombra’s strike meant Dusk missed and felt a blunt jab to his shoulder. Sombra said nothing but came with another thrust, this one Dusk deflected but not the follow-up.

Sombra kept up with his repeated sword thrusts, Dusk getting better at deflecting them each time. He became so settled into the routine that he almost didn’t block the overhead swing Sombra suddenly gave.

“Ah good!” He grinned fiercely. “Your reaction could be better, but you have good instinct, Dusk.”

“That was a dirty trick,” replied Dusk, scowling.

“What of it? Your opponent won’t always play by the rules.” He gave his sword a few wide swings. “Now then, let me remind myself what I’m working with. Have at you!”

The former king came at him in a flurry of swings and swipes. For as many as Dusk avoided or parried, just as many found their mark. He tried a couple of retaliation attacks but Sombra was barely fazed and kept him on the defence.

Just as Dusk was beginning to wonder where Cadence was, a voice called out across the arena.

“Have a care, Sombra! I only have the one student, I would appreciate if you didn’t break him!”

They looked to see Luna with Cadence offering Dusk an apologetic look. Sombra’s eyes widened in surprise but he settled into a teasing smirk.

“My apologies, highness,” he returned. “I didn’t realise you were in the habit of training porcelain dolls.”

“A shard of shattered porcelain can still cut deep, as I’m sure you recall.” She levitated Dusk’s sword from him. “Shall I give you a reminder?”

Sombra’s grin widened. “As you wish.”

Luna blushed a little and gave Dusk a wink. He stepped aside and walked with a slight hobble to Cadence, feeling the refreshing energies of her healing magic.

“You couldn’t have gotten here a bit sooner?” he murmured.

“Sorry, you know how hard it is to wake her up during the day,” she whispered. “But this already looks promising.”

Dusk looked to see the two circling each other.

“Now, Sombra,” said Luna as she swung her sword, “I trust a thousand years trapped has not dulled your skills too greatly.”

“I feel I must ask the same of you, Luna,” he returned. “I can go easy on you, just at the start.”

“Only if you wish to be knocked on your rump.” She took a stance. “En garde!”

Her strike was so quick, Dusk hardly saw it and amazingly, Sombra blocked it. He shoved back against her, following with a series of swipes which she deflected easily. Their crystal blades sang in a symphony of strikes as they ducked, thrusted, advanced forward and retreated, jumped and dipped.

Dusk could only stare in awe. Having been on the blade end of both combatants, he could tell they’d both been holding back. This was two masters at work and he could see what Sombra meant about sword fighting being a dance.

“This is remarkable,” he said to Cadence.

“I’ll say. I’m happy to see that my speciality can still offer surprises, even after all this time.”

“You practice with swords too?”

“Not at all.”

Dusk frowned at her. “I’m… not sure I understand.”

“Oh Dusk, don’t you see?” She gave him a knowing smile. “This isn’t fighting. This is flirting.”

“Ha!” Luna cried as she landed a hit. “You leave yourself open so easily?”

“You had plenty of other chances and failed to take them.” He nursed his chest, but kept his grin. “Getting slow, Luna?”

“Oh, you wish!”

Swipe, thrust, block, lunge, swipe again. They locked blades together, leaning toward one another through the crosses of their swords. Luna suddenly shifted the weight of her sword and caught Sombra’s blade on the cross guard, wrenching it from his aura and sending it flying.

Before Sombra could act, Luna had angled her own weapon right at his throat.

“Do you yield?” she said, panting.

“It seems… I must,” he replied, his exhaustion showing too. Yet he still smiled. “What does the victor claim as her prize?”

“Well…” She leaned a little closer. “I suppose, if you ask…”

Dusk and Cadence shared a grin. It looked like their plan had worked.

Until the thundering of hooves caused everypony to turn their attention to its source.

“Come on, you slugs! Move it, move it!” an earth pony mare bellowed. She was dressed in the uniform of the Captain. “I want you all running laps yesterday! Oh, your highness!” She sunk into a bow. “My apologies, I didn’t realise the arena was in use.”

“That is… quite alright, Captain. I am quite tired, I… I should rest.” She started to walk away, pausing to look back at Sombra. “A good duel, esteemed guest. Perhaps we may do so again soon?”

Despite his evident annoyance, Sombra still managed a smile.

“I would like that, highness.”

Dusk could sense they wanted to say more, but the moment was gone. With a mixture of both forlornness and hope, the two parted with Sombra’s guard following closely. Feeling their frustration, Dusk approached the captain.

“Captain, what is the meaning of this?” Dusk asked. “Your training isn’t scheduled for another two hours.”

“Yes sir, that was the original schedule.” She showed him her own. “Last minute change. Sorry, sir but orders are orders.”

“I see,” he said with a look at Cadence. “So you didn’t make this change yourself?”

She shook her head. “No sir. I was just as surprised as you are. But when you’re in the royal guard, you have to adapt to sudden changes, sir.”

“Who else has the authority to change the schedule like this?” Cadence asked.

“Only the highest authority, your highness,” she answered. “If you would excuse me, I need to supervise the recruits.”

She turned and started barking orders again, but the two had heard enough. They waited until they left the training ground and any listening ears before speaking.

“Is Celestia really so determined to interfere in this?” groaned Dusk.

“It would seem so. And it was all going so well!” Cadence took a few deep breaths, punctuating each breath out by pushing her forehoof outward. “That’s alright. We’re not out of this yet. We just need a new plan.”

“Pardon my asking the obvious Cadence, but why don’t we simply speak with Celestia?” asked Dusk. “Surely it’s worth at least addressing this behaviour.”

Cadence shook her head. “No, that’s not the way. If I know my aunt, the direct approach wouldn’t work. She could make up whatever excuse she likes for the schedule change and blow us off. If we accuse her of interfering in Luna’s love life, she’ll just deny it. If we’re going to beat her, it has to be at her own game.”

“If you say so…” Dusk pressed his hoof to his chin. “So, we need a way to get them together that can be dismissed as a plausible coincidence.”

“Hmm…” Cadence frowned thoughtfully then clapped her hooves. “Got it! We’ll have to wait until dark for this to work but here’s what we do…”


“This was a wonderful suggestion, my student,” said Luna as they trotted through the moonlit gardens. “Gaining an understanding of properly harnessing the power of the stars will be a great boon to your education.”

“I thought so too, Luna and in time for your first Star Celebration Dance too,” he said. “Are you looking forward to it?”

“Rather. While I understand that an event appreciating my night cannot be as practically popular as Sun Celebration, I appreciate my sister to allow me something similar.”

“There are plenty of ponies who have an appreciation for the night. Your ever faithful and loyal student, as one example,” he said.

“For which his grateful and thankful teacher much appreciates,” she replied. “It’s funny to mention it. Before you, the only pony who I felt really took joy in my night was…”

She paused in her stride, her gaze angling upward.

“Luna? Is something wrong?”

“No, simply remembering when I…” A nostalgic expression crossed her face. “When Sombra and I knew each other, we used to gaze at the... my apologies, Dusk. I don’t mean to be suddenly reminiscent of times past.”

“You never know, Luna. Time past could be times present, once again. Have faith,” he said.

“Yes, well…” She plastered on a smile. “Come, Dusk. Where was it you wanted to practice?”

“Just a little further, Luna,” he said, leading her on. They entered into the gardens, passing by a couple of the gardeners doing some late-night tending to the plants. Dusk nodded and they returned it. “I had a question for you as well, in regards to Fallen Soul.”

She nodded. “Good, the more you can know about our enemy, the better. What’s on your mind, my student?”

“I’m curious, he was born a Pegasus but he became an alicorn. You mentioned once that he became one through unnatural means, but how could he manage that?”

“Hmm.” Luna considered the question for a few moments. “At this point in time, I cannot be certain, I’m afraid. You see, my student, there are two known ways in which an alicorn can come to be. The first is being born one, as myself and my sister were.”

“I see. Were your parents alicorns too?”

“We… don’t know,” she admitted.

Dusk whirled around in surprise. “You didn’t have parents?”

“Yes and no,” she replied. “In essence, Starswirl the Bearded was the closest thing we had to a father. He took us as his own, not long after the Founding of Equestria that marks Hearth’s Warming. His apprentices, Clover and Foresight, also played their part in both raising us and educating us in magic. It was they and the other unicorn sages that taught us to raise the sun and moon.”

“I… I had no idea. Did you never ask about where you came from? How you came to be?”

She sighed. “We did. Neither Clover nor Foresight had any knowledge. Only Starswirl was privy to that and all he said was that we had been simply found. He rarely elaborated much beyond that and is no longer present to ask anymore.”

“Luna, I’m sorry. There’s nothing in the archives that he wrote down at any point?”

“None that we have been able to find. Though many of his last writings do examine how to potentially become an alicorn, it seems he knew as little as we did on the matter. If the writings themselves are any indication, it became something of a fixation during his final days.” She offered a smile. “But don’t trouble yourself, Dusk. My sister and I came to the resolution long ago that regardless of where we came from, it doesn’t change who we are.”

“No, it doesn’t,” he said and gave her a gentle hug. “If it matters at all, wherever you came from doesn’t change that you’re still my friend, Luna.”

“It gladdens my heart to hear it, Dusk.”

They broke apart and carried on. “But you said there’s another way to become an alicorn. From what I can recall, Cadence was also born a Pegasus.”

“You’re correct. From what my sister tells me, Cadence was found and taken in by a village of earth ponies originally. After she proved herself able to defeat one who was draining love with simply the power of her own heart, Celestia adopted Cadence as her, and by extension our, niece. After that, she became an alicorn as we are.”

“So…” Dusk thought for a moment. “I’m sorry, but how does that work? Her expression of powerful love warranted becoming the Princess of Love?”

“In a manner of speaking, yes. Understand Dusk that there are some things about our nature as alicorns that, even to me and my sister, are not known. However, as best as we can determine from our own understanding and Starswirl’s writings, there are certain things which are considered the natural essences of life. The sun, the moon and love as examples. When these essences are made manifest in a pony, it is expressed by their transcendence into an alicorn. Again, this is our speculation but it seems to fit.”

Dusk frowned. “What about Discord? He’s the essence of chaos, but he’s not an alicorn.”

She waved a hoof. “He is also not a pony. Discord is what he is and what he is, is chaos. I doubt even he knows the nature of his being or if he even cares. Still, if nothing else his form certainly fits him, don’t you agree?”

“I suppose so,” he said. “But if love has such power and friendship is also a powerful magic in its own right, could that mean there might be a Princess of Friendship?”

“You could be right. It is a possibility my sister and I have considered, though we can’t say with any certainty right now.”

“But then also,” Dusk went on, “if chaos as an essence exists in the form of Discord, other negative elements could have that same power. Much as we don’t like dealing with them, things like anger and hatred are natural too, just as chaos is. Isn’t it possible that they could manifest in a pony, or any creature, in the same way as an alicorn? Fallen’s act of betrayal literally changed who he was as a pony, if the stories are to be believed. Based on what you’ve presented, do you think that perhaps that event caused him to ascend as an alicorn? One that embodies pain, betrayal and hatred?”

“It is… a possibility,” admitted Luna. “One that certainly has worrying implications, but once again, it fits the theory. If it is true, the kind of power that he might have access to…”

Dusk nodded quietly. “Luna? Do you think we can stop him?”

“We have faced threats such as his before, my friend.” She clapped a hoof on his back. “I am confident that we shall overcome this one as well.”

He couldn’t be certain if she truly believed that or was just telling him this to comfort him. Either way, it did reassure him somewhat. He considered asking about Wrath and the possibility of other Beasts, but recalled Celestia was keeping her in the dark on that front too. He also remembered what Sombra said did his best to put it out of his mind. At least for now.

For one thing, they’d arrived at the spot that had been picked out by Cadence. It was out in the gardens, with a clear view of the sky but still surrounded by a number of shrubs and flowers. Both he and Cadence had been as thorough as possible and concluded that nopony should be using this spot for anything. In addition, Celestia had long retired for the night so there was little chance of her interfering again.

“This looks like a good spot,” said Dusk. “Whenever you’re ready, Luna.”

“Very well. To begin with, we shall…” She trailed off and frowned. “Do you hear somepony?”

Dusk’s ears perked up at the sound of two familiar voices, approaching down an archway decorated with blooming ivy.

“… should be relatively simple for you to enhance your own magic with those unique to the Empire, Cadence. There are a number of books from the Vault which you may find helpful on the matter.”

“That sounds brilliant! Thank you, Sombra. It’s honestly impressive how you’re able to generate formations like you do.”

“You’re too kind, Cadence. You’ll find they have a variety of uses as well. Magic siphons and transmitters, sharpened attack points and decorative attributes if you’re inclined. I recall my grandfather, he was able to produce coloured clusters the likes of which you can only…”

His words petered out when he realised they weren’t alone. His and Luna’s surprise was very evident.

“Oh Luna, Dusk! What a surprise. I hope we’re not interrupting. I decided to steal Sombra away for a little stroll. After all, it is such a lovely night. Don’t you agree, Sombra?” she asked.

“Yes,” he said quietly, never taking his eyes off Luna. “Though it is even lovelier now.”

“Hmph.” Luna’s cheeks turned red, but she didn’t look away. “You think the night can be charmed with such simple honeyed words.”

“I’m not certain. Can it?”

They seemed to have already forgotten that Dusk and Cadence were there. Even so, they needed to follow the plan as they’d discussed.

“Actually, Dusk, I’m glad I caught you. I wanted to speak with you about incorporating your colour magic into the opening ceremony for the Equestria Games. Would you mind if I borrow him for a while, auntie?” she asked.

“Hmm? Oh yes, of course.” Luna blushed again and tried to look professional. “We shall uh, continue your lesson another time, Dusk. I will be in touch.”

“That’s fine, Luna. Good evening to you, Sombra.”

Sombra only muttered absently in acknowledgement. The two of them put on the charade of their conversation until they were away and out of sight, then quickly moved behind a nearby bush.

“Where’s the guard?” asked Dusk.

She giggled. “Funny you should mention. I just saw him with his husband, who decided to pay him a surprise visit. Completely unprompted, of course.”

“Of course. And the servant?”

“He’s still rather new, so I set him to go and fetch some elbow grease, along with a glass hammer. He should be occupied with that for good while and even then, he didn’t happen to hear where Sombra was going.”

“Cadence, has anypony ever told you that you’re rather a devious sort?”

“Dusk, I’m sure I don’t know what you mean.” She beckoned him closer. “Now, if I give your magic a boost, will you be able to conceal us in shadow?” she asked.

“I should be able to manage, but…” He rubbed the back of his head. “Shouldn’t we leave them alone?”

“Come on, Dusk!” She nudged him playfully. “Don’t tell me you’re not a little bit curious to see how this unfolds? At least until the moment they confess, then we’ll make ourselves scarce. Promise.”

Dusk would be lying if he said he wasn’t tempted and, just this once, he decided to indulge. Feeling a surge from Cadence’s love spell, not to mention his heart beating faster at the thought of Twilight, he concealed them both and they crept back to the spot where they’d left the estranged lovers. Their conversation became easier to make out as they did.

“… get the feeling this wasn’t mere coincidence the two of us happen to be here?” Luna was asking.

“I have begun to suspect as much,” replied Sombra. “Though their efforts are not unwelcome. Your niece has a good heart, Luna and your student is a most admirable young stallion.”

“Well, I do try to keep him so.” Her expression softened. “I’ve missed you so much, my crystal king.”

He took a few steps closer. “As I have you, my stars and moon. Though I’m not certain I am fit for the title you give me.”

“No matter what, you will always be my king.”

“Even after I did not return to you at the moment of my liberation?” He looked at the ground. “Please understand, I wanted nothing more than to come back to you. But until I felt I was worthy, I couldn’t-“

“Sombra. You don’t need to explain yourself. I understand, better than most.”

“Yes. I learned what became of you, after my banishment. What your sister did to you.”

“It was… unpleasant. But necessary. I was a danger to Equestria and my sister did not act lightly. Much like I felt when we did the same for you.” It was her turn to look away. “Can… can you forgive me for that?”

He smiled. “I already have. As you say, it was necessary and that time has passed. We are back where we belong.”

“Indeed.” She moved a little closer too. “It’s funny. I was just speaking with Dusk about how we used to marvel at the heavens together. Do you recall?”

“How could I forget?” He looked up at the stars. “Those were some of the best nights of my life.”

“Implying that there are some less than best?” she asked with a smirk.

“For you? Never,” he replied with one of his own. “I notice some new ones up there.”

“Well, a thousand years is a long time. They were in need of an update.” She moved next to him, pointing up. “See how the Constellation of Harmony has changed to reflect how the Elements are now?”

He let her lean in close. “Oh yes, indeed. A fine group of young mares, one and all. That infant dragon too, there is a great fire in him. On that note, I see Dragon Lord Rumble has remained unchanged, though I notice he has moved.”

“I had to make room for the Marks of the Brave. Those who perished in the recent Changeling Skirmish.” She sighed. “A tragic day indeed. Equestria has not seen such conflict for a millennia.”

“War is never a pleasant thing. Something I wish I had realised much sooner…”

“Hush. Let us not dwell on the past. I can show you another set of stars that hasn’t changed.” She pointed so her foreleg was over his chest. “Do you see there?”

“Ah, the Lovers. Still as radiant as before.” He let her hoof rest on his as it lowered, turning to look at her fully. “As radiant as you.”

“Hmm…” She leaned in a little closer, leaving mere inches between them. “What I said earlier, about honeyed words…”

“Yes?”

“I do believe they’ve worked.”

Their voices were little more than whispers, inching ever closer…

“How can we be certain?”

“I’ll show you.”

They closed their eyes, their lips closing what little distance was left. Dusk could hear Cadence faintly squealing behind her hooves and even he was grinning with anticipation and happiness for the pair.

Then a chorus of laughter made them jump apart. It took all Dusk and Cadence had not to shout in frustration. The source of the noise came from a group of well-dressed Canterlot ponies moving into the garden, with Fancypants at their head.

“Oh yes indeed, so then I said… why Princess Luna! What a charming surprise! And who is this fellow with you?”

“That is not…!” Luna reined in her anger and managed a neutral expression. “He is… a guest with my sister and I. I was not aware there was a social function taking place in the gardens tonight.”

“Well there wasn’t, originally. We were in one of the ballrooms, just for a little meet-and-greet, you know. Then we received word that the gardens were free and we thought, with the Star Celebration coming up soon, why not take in the night air?” He inclined his head. “My apologies if any disturbance was caused, highness. You are welcome to join us, of course. Perhaps you can introduce us to your guest?”

Luna and Sombra exchanged a look. As well as the elite ponies, Sombra’s guard and servant were back on the scene too, the latter looking quite worn out and the former with a spring in his step. An unspoken understanding seemed to pass between them, one which left Sombra looking sullen and Luna very annoyed, though she hid it well.

“That will not be necessary.” She spread her wings to fly off. “I have my duties to attend to.”

“As do I,” muttered Sombra. He paused, glancing back over his shoulder. “Goodnight, your highness.”

Luna’s façade cracked for just a moment. Returning a quiet ‘goodnight’ to Sombra, she spread her wings and took off whilst he stalked off with his escorts following behind.

“Well, that was rather curious.” Fancypants jumped when the shadows lifted and the two ponies they hid fell to the ground. “Ah, Princess Cadence! And I say, you’re Luna’s student, aren’t you? Please, do feel free to…” His invitation went unfinished as the pair stomped off. “Well, they looked rather put out, didn’t they?”


“Ugh!” Cadence flopped face down into her pillow and screamed into it. “Can you believe this?!”

“I don’t really want to.” Dusk glowered out the window from a table in her suite. “One of the other servants must have gotten word to her. Maybe the gardeners or something.”

“Probably.” She performed her calming gesture about five times before she spoke again. “Well, regardless, it’s happened now. We just need to work out where we go from here.”

Dusk sighed. “I’m not sure what we can do. It seems like Celestia is able to counter everything we try, without even being in the room. It’s like she’s constantly two steps ahead.”

“There has to be something. Something that we haven’t tried yet…” Cadence tapped her hoof on the table.

“What if we tried the dream realm? Celestia has no power there, there’d be nothing in their way then.”

Cadence considered this. “True, but I don’t want them to feel like they have to hide away in their dreams. That’s not what love is about. It can’t just be locked away in your head. It has to be shared, fully and completely, with the pony you love. Would you feel satisfied if you and Twilight could only see each other in your dreams?”

“I suppose not,” he conceded. “I still think we should actually say something to Celestia about this whole thing.”

“I’ve already said, Dusk, that won’t work.”

“How can you be so certain of that?”

“Because I know my aunt and I’m a princess. I know how this game is played and I won’t let her think otherwise, not in my area.” She pressed her hooves together, leaning on the table. “They may have a thousand years on me, but I’m just as capable a ruler as them.”

Dusk raised an eyebrow. “Forgive me for saying so, Cadence, but you’re making it sound like this is a competition to be won.”

“Of course it isn’t!” she said quickly. “But you understand why a direct confrontation won’t work, don’t you?”

“I do, to an extent. I’m just not certain I agree with it. All of this scheming and tiptoeing around hidden meanings and unspoken expectations. It just doesn’t…” He paused to find the right words. “It doesn’t feel right.”

“Sometimes, Dusk, leaders have to be like that. You can’t always charge head-on with spells and magic. You have to understand why ponies, and other beings, think and act in the way they do. We just have to apply ourselves to the issue at hoof.” She smiled across at him. “I promise it’ll be worth it in the end. Once we get them through the door, they’ll be able to step inside.”

“I hope so,” he murmured. “Alright then. So far, we’ve been operating within the way Celestia might anticipate and respond. But what if we put that power in Luna’s hooves instead? What if we gave her control of the board, so to speak?”

“But what could we…?”

She trailed off as the two suddenly locked eyes. At the same time, they spoke the same idea.

“The Star Celebration Ball!”

“Of course!” Cadence cried. “That’s Luna’s event! She’s the primary host, not Celestia!”

“And you’re there as a guest, having already vouched for Sombra and I’ll be present as her student, not to mention an Element of Harmony. If Sombra comes along and we vouch for him, not only in front of Celestia but also the elite…”

“It’ll be a more positive reflection on both him and her, which won’t leave Celestia with much wiggle room to object to their relationship!” Cadence squealed with delight. “See? What did I tell you? I knew we’d come up with something!”

Dusk laughed. “As a fellow warrior on the battlefield of love, I should have known better. So, I’ll focus on Luna, you stay with Sombra. We’ll make sure we’re both near with them at the Ball. Even if Celestia does try something, it’s four of us against her. I think we can manage.”

“I agree. Speaking of which, we’d better make sure we’ve got the proper attire for it. I’ll find you again once we’ve spoken to them, then we’ll go over a rough plan.”

“Only a rough one?”

“In situations like this, a detailed plan is more likely to fail. Best to play it by ear a little.” She smirked. “If you think you can handle a little unpredictability, Mr. Noir.”

“My dear Princess Mi Amore, if I couldn’t handle unpredictability, I wouldn’t be best friends with Pinkamena Dianne Pie. Not to mention your former foalsitting charge has her fair share of curveballs she’s thrown my way.” He got up to leave, tipping his hat to her. “See you later?”

“You know it. We can do this, Dusk.”


“Dusk, are you sure we can do this?” asked Luna quietly.

She stood next to him in the entrance hall of the ballroom, the night after he and Cadence had agreed to their plan. Her flowing mane had been tied back again in a short ponytail, with the fringe curled over her right side. She was dressed in a radiant purple gown, decorated with stars and the full moon clasp at the front. Though she put on a smile whilst greeting her guests, she was evidently nervous.

“I’m sure, Luna,” he replied, bowing his head to another elite.

His own suit was a pale blue, with the lapel and tie coloured silver with a sparkling finish. He had neglected to wear his usual hat and though it felt strange to be without it, it also felt a little liberating. His mane and tail were combed over neatly and he wore a small badge, depicting his Unity cutie mark, on his left side.

“Do not misunderstand,” she said quickly. “I am not ignorant to you and my niece’s efforts. Nor is Sombra. But a part of me cannot help but wonder if, with all the trouble this has caused already, if it is… well…”

“If it’s worth it?” Dusk smiled at her. “In my eyes, Luna, the fact so much trouble has gone into it makes it worth even more. Nothing important was ever achieved without struggle.”

“That much is true.” She shut her eyes for a moment, a more resolute expression on her face. “Yes, of course you’re right. This is my night and I shall see fit to remind my sister that we rule this land as equals.”

“Well said, just as long as you don’t transform into a corrupted pony of darkness again,” said Dusk.

“I shall not. At least before the desserts are served,” she said in a stage whisper. “There is a rather splendid cake I’m most looking forward to.”

“I’ll be keeping an eye open. Just save me a slice,” returned Dusk.

“Of course. Dusk, answer me this truly…” She paused to greet another guest. “Sombra and I… do you believe we are a good match?”

“From what I’ve seen, I have no doubt that you are.”

“Thank you. It gladdens me that you… wait… ‘from what you’ve seen’?” she repeated. “Dusk, have you been spying on us?”

“… I’m afraid I can’t answer any questions without my lawyer.”

The two of them shared a laugh and Luna looked visibly more relaxed. But her posture tensed when Celestia entered the hall. She had chosen a silver gown with hints of blue around the edges and on her sash, on which she wore her sun broach. Given that Dusk was used to seeing her in daytime colours, it quite suited her.

“Good evening, my sister and to you as well, Dusk,” she said politely. “I trust the evening is going well so far?”

Luna smiled back at her. “Indeed, sister. Everything running smoothly and according to plan.”

“That’s wonderful. I trust there won’t be anything unexpected occurring at any point?”

“Well, nothing that I did not expect.”

Though they kept their smiles, Dusk could sense the underlying meaning behind both them and their words. Just as he was tempted to see about making a bit of space, he spotted Cadence arriving with Sombra and braced himself for what was to come.

Taking on her dual role as Princess of Love and the Empire, Cadence’s dress was an eye-catching mix of violet and pink. Blue crystals decorated the hem of the skirt, not unlike shimmering stars and her mane and style had been styled curled buns, with love hearts fastening them into place.

Sombra, meanwhile, was almost unrecognisable. He’d abandoned his usual grey and red colours for a deep blue suit, with a frilled collar and twin-tail coat. His mane had been combed back into a stylish coif, as had his tail. Even Dusk had to admit that he looked very dashing and he caught the eyes of a few stallions and mares on his way in.

His eyes found Celestia and she saw him. Even from where he stood, Dusk could feel the intensity of Sombra’s glare and he saw how Celestia’s mouth tightened into a thin line, her nostrils flaring slightly. But they kept their expressions neutral, as Luna was watching them closely too. But a smile broke out on her face when Sombra approached.

“A most warm welcome to you, Sombra of the Crystal Empire. I hope you enjoy the evening we have prepared.”

He bowed his head to her. “I’m already beginning to.”

“I echo my sister’s sentiment,” said Celestia. “It would certainly be a shame if anything untoward were to happen.”

“On this, we are agreed,” Sombra rumbled. “I will see you both as the evening goes on. I would stay, but it would be improper to leave your niece without an escort.”

“Isn’t he such a gentlecolt?” remarked Cadence. “You look very handsome, Dusk. It’s a shame Twilight isn’t here.”

“The same in regards to Shining missing out on such a beautiful sight, Cadence,” he returned. “Actually, Twilight and the others will be along later. She had Spike send a message earlier, she just got back from the Empire.”

“Oh that’s wonderful!” said Celestia. “They’ll definitely help to liven things up, they always do.”

Cadence offered a smile. “Don’t you worry, auntie. I’m sure all of us can bring enough excitement to get ponies talking.”

Celestia smiled in return. “Yes, I’m sure there’ll be no shortage of ponies talking on that front.”

“Let them speak, such is the way of most things,” remarked Luna. “Now, I will join you inside momentarily before I leave the responsibilities of welcome to the Royal Greeter. Dusk, I relieve you of your obligation. You may go inside and enjoy yourself, I will join you in a moment.”

“You are too kind, Luna,” he said with a bow.

“I hope you don’t mind the burden of escorting me, Dusk,” said Celestia, falling into step next to him. “This is an evening I certainly don’t want to miss.”

Luna’s eyes flashed, but she kept whatever she had to say to herself.

Dusk bowed his head to the Sun princess. “Of course, Celestia. I’m sure you wouldn’t.”

He took a moment to mask his irritation as they followed Cadence and Sombra into the main hall. All of this double speak was already beginning to play on his nerves. But he could manage it. For his teacher and newly found friend, he had to. He saw Luna and Sombra exchanging glances before he went inside and was renewed in his purpose at how much they had to fight their grins just from seeing the other.

The ballroom had been decorated with the kind of extravagance Dusk had come to expect from Canterlot social events. It wasn’t too dissimilar from the Gala, with the major difference being the addition of a beautiful, silk canvas that stretched across the ceiling which had been decorated to resemble the night sky. Jewels were suspended from the ceiling as well, hung on thin wires so they looked like they were floating. The band played their soothing music and Dusk caught Octavia’s eye when he saw her, giving each other a friendly nod.

At a glance, Dusk could see they were already beginning to attract attention. Groups of ponies were trying, subtly or otherwise, to get the attention of the princesses and their entourage as they crossed the hall. The only successful one so far was Fancypants who Celestia steered them towards as he stood with his own social group.

“A jolly good evening to you all!” he greeted. “I must say, Princess Celestia, this little soiree is absolutely splendid so far. Your sister has outdone herself.”

She inclined her head. “You’re very kind to say so, Fancypants. It warms my heart to see so many here, in appreciation for her night.”

“I thought much the same. Ah yes, I recall you from the night before. Terribly sorry again for that whole mix-up, old chap,” he added to Sombra. “Forgive me, but I didn’t catch your name.”

“I did not offer it, but I do now.” He swept into a bow. “I am Sombra, formerly king of the Crystal Empire, now merely its humble servant.”

This immediately caused murmurs to generate within Fancypant’s group, along with a raised eyebrow from the stallion himself.

“I say, wasn’t he responsible for some nasty business to do with that place?” remarked one mare in a green dress.

“I do seem to recall something of the sort, yes,” replied her friend in orange.

“Yes, rather,” murmured Fancypants. “Forgive me, old sport, but wasn’t it you who… oh, what’s the best way to put it… left the place in a bit of a state?”

Sombra’s eyes narrowed and his jaw clenched. But Cadence patted his foreleg and stepped up.

“It’s true that Sombra was responsible for the Empire’s misfortunes. However, he has done a great deal already to make reparations for them and as its current ruler, I vouch for him wholeheartedly.”

“Really?” Fancypants considered this and nodded. “Well that’s spiffing to hear. I’m sorry if I’ve caused any undue offence, Sombra. Everypony makes mistakes but I suppose that’s why pencils have erasers.”

“Oh yes, I quite agree,” piped up the green dress mare from before.

“A second chance is a precious thing,” agreed her orange dress friend.

“But of course,” said Celestia. “Though their concerns are certainly valid, it’s good to see you do well to reassure them, my young niece. Despite your relative inexperience, I’m pleased to see the Empire flourishing under your rule.”

The mention of Cadence’s youth got them murmuring again. Dusk was beginning to remember how much he disliked dealing with these ponies.

“Yes, I remember how rare it was to see you in Canterlot, princess,” said the green dress mare. “I mean no offence, but I was quite surprised when I learned you’d been given rulership of the place.”

“Yes, most surprised indeed,” nodded her orange dress friend. She leaned in to whisper. “You’re certain he can be trusted, can you?”

“I’m confident that-“

“Madam, if you have any concerns of my intentions, you may address them to me.” An edge was in Sombra’s voice as he glowered at her. “I assure you, I am not deaf.”

“O-Oh! My apologies, Sir Sombra!” She plastered on a shaky grin. “I-I meant no disrespect, truly! O-Only that uh…!”

“You don’t need to worry yourself, miss,” said Celestia. “I’m sure you meant nothing by it, just as Sombra didn’t mean to cause you any undue distress.”

“Cause her…?!” Sombra gritted his teeth and forced a smile. “No. No, of course not. As her esteemed highness says, your concerns are… valid. I… apologise.”

“Q-Quite alright,” she stammered.

Though Celestia hid it well, even Dusk could feel a sense of satisfaction from her little smile. He caught Cadence’s eye and the two of them

“Perhaps some refreshment is due,” said Dusk quickly. “I’m rather keen to sample those canapes. If you’d excuse us, Fancypants.”

“But of course. Good to see you as well, Dusk,” he said. “Does this mean that Rarity will be gracing us with her presence tonight as well?”

“I’ll point her in your direction the moment she arrives.” He bade the stallion good evening and re-joined his party, making their way to the food and drink.

“I must commend you, Sombra,” said Celestia. “You’ve certainly made a distinct impression.”

“So it would seem,” he replied. “Though I must thank you for your assistance in that regard, highness.”

“There’s nothing to thank me for. As far as I’m concerned, you managed it perfectly well of your own accord.”

“Credit where it is due, highness. After all, you introduced me.”

“And it was an introduction I’m sure they won’t soon banish from their minds.”

“So Sombra!” said Dusk suddenly. “Isn’t this just lovely? I think it’s wonderful that Luna has a commemoration for the stars, as there is for the sun.”

“I quite agree,” he said. “In my view, such an event has been a long time coming. The night deserves as much appreciation as the day. A pity that it couldn’t come sooner.”

Celestia bristled ever so slightly. “Yes, there’s no denying that. But it’s here now. The best we can do is try to move on from past mistakes.”

“It’s funny, I was just thinking the same thing,” remarked Cadence. “After all, it isn’t especially fair to hold somepony’s past mistakes against them.”

“Of course. However, one should be careful with the use of the word ‘mistake’.” She looked sidelong at Sombra. “It implies there’s nopony to blame.”

“Not necessarily,” said Cadence. “However, if the mistake is acknowledged and they’re willing to make up for it, that goes a long way towards moving forward from it.”

“Indeed.” That sidelong glance turned to Cadence now. “Unless of course the trust being put into that pony was somehow misplaced. If anything, that would be much worse.”

Cadence returned her aunt’s gaze, her cheeks flushed. “Some confidence has to be shown however. Otherwise the pony accepting the apology may be seen as supposedly insincere as the one giving it.”

“Alright, appetisers!” said Dusk, levitating a few things at random and passing them off. “I’m sure we’ll all be having a better time once we’ve had some food in us.”

Everypony went momentarily quiet as they chewed their food and sipped their drinks, though Dusk could see the daggers being glared between them. He managed to catch Cadence’s eye and she offered a smile that didn’t make Dusk feel reassured.

He knew she said to play it by ear, but he couldn’t even tell what the end goal was now. Have Celestia accept Sombra? They didn’t seem any closer to achieving that and all they were doing was exchanging veiled insults and comebacks with one another. It would only be pushed so far before the veil was torn away and much more open, cutting remarks were made.

He felt a measure of relief when he saw Luna approaching them. Maybe now she was present, they could get things on track.

“Sorry to keep you waiting. I believe the majority of the guests have arrived now. No sign yet of our Ponyville friends, but I’m certain they’re on the way.” She seemed to sense the lingering hostility. “Did I miss something?”

“Not at all, sister,” said Celestia. “Just making sure our niece, your student and our esteemed guest were suitably looked after.”

“Much appreciated, Tia.”

“Of course. You know me, always looking out for my little sister.”

“Just so long as you remember this is my event, my older sister. After all, we wouldn’t want anypony getting mixed up.”

Dusk had to keep in a groan. Maybe he’d gotten his hopes up too soon.

“Oh I’ve just realised, it’s time for my speech!” cried Luna. “Sombra, will you accompany me?”

He blinked in surprise. “Me?”

“Unless there is anypony else here called Sombra,” she tittered.

“Well…” It only took a moment for his surprise to fade. “It will be my honour, your highness.”

“Luna,” said Celestia in a low voice, “I urge you to think carefully about what you might do.”

“Believe me, Celestia,” she responded with a smirk, “I most certainly have.”

Staying together just close enough to be considered appropriate, the pair crossed towards the stage where the band played. For the first time, Celestia didn’t look so self-assured. She seemed torn between letting Luna have her moment or stepping in to do something. Dusk looked at Cadence, who appeared very pleased with herself. Celestia was so caught up she didn’t even notice, so he took the chance to sidle closer. She pulled him away from her aunt to a quieter corner.

“I may have mentioned to Luna that if she wants to be together with Sombra, that a bold and public display would be the best course of action,” she whispered.

Dusk’s eyes widened. “But what about what you said, about them needing to tread carefully around the subject with Celestia?”

“Not at her event, her night! Like we said, all the power is in her hooves tonight. The way I see it, one of two things will happen: Celestia will let Luna go ahead, allowing her to declare her love for Sombra or she’ll try to interfere with the speech, practically upstaging her sister and giving her the chance to properly fight for her love. Either, we’ve won!”

“Won? But you said this wasn’t about-“

“Honoured guests!” Luna boomed in the Royal Voice. “We bid you welcome to this auspicious event! We are most pleased and humbled by your presence here tonight! For so many years, we believed ponies held no love for the night and its splendour! I am pleased to say that those falsehoods have been dispelled completely!”

Everypony stomped their hooves in applause, all except for Dusk. Looking around, he realised he couldn’t see Celestia. How does somepony lose track of a mare that tall?

“But that is not all I have waited a long time to revel in!” She beckoned Sombra to stand next to her. “Most of you will have noticed the stallion who stands with me here! Some of you may even recognise him or his name! I wish to dispel the connotations you may have with it!”

He saw her, emerging from a side door. A pair of chefs followed after her, carrying a large cake between them. What was she up to? Dusk kept his attention alternating between her and the cake carriers, ready for the slightest sign of trouble. Cadence didn’t seem to have seen what he had, her hooves tapping with anticipation at Luna’s speech.

“You all knew me, in stories told to you as foals and during a certain festival, as the being Nightmare Moon! A malevolent, spiteful creature obsessed enshrining all of Equestria in eternal night! I will not begin to excuse my poor decisions which led to that transition! It was wrong and I have paid my penance! You all accepted me, though you were still fearful of me and in time, I believe we have grown to love and appreciate one another in the wake of it!”

The cake was going by the stage, closest to where Sombra was standing. Dusk looked at Celestia. For the briefest moment, he saw her horn glow. The glow faded from a ribbon at the base of the stage which had become undone and now lay in the path of one of the carriers. His hoof was already tangled in it.

“I ask that you once again call upon that forgiveness, for it gives me great joy to announce that… my student, what in Equestria are you doing?!”

His own horn glowing, Dusk bounded on pink hooves onto a white colour cloud. Those closest exclaimed as he leapt over their heads. The carrier had lost his balance. His fellow tried to compensate, but the cake was already starting to teeter. Neither Luna or Sombra had noticed, their attention focused on him.

They failed to save it. The cake was starting to fall. Sombra was right in its path. He noticed its shadow, turning to see. Before he could react, Dusk reached him and pushed him out of the way. He started to prepare a shield spell when-

SPLAT!

The next thing he knew, he was blinking through eyes covered in ice cream and frosting. He tried to get up, but slipped on the fallen remains. Even as he tried to wipe himself down with his hooves, he knew it was a lost cause.

“Dusk!” It was Celestia who had reached him. “Are you alright? Not to worry, I’m sure we can…“

He locked eyes with her. In one look, he told her all he needed to: he knew. She understood. He cast his eyes around. The audience was staring in shock and morbid curiosity. Sombra looked perplexed whilst Luna was starting to fuss over him. Cadence was flying over, her expression one of mortified embarrassment for him.

“Now, Dusk,” Celestia began again, “before we do anything hasty, I believe we should take a moment and-“

“Celestia,” he said in a voice only she would hear. “A word, if you please.”

Under normal circumstances, he never would have taken this tone with her. But he had hit his limit. He walked to the same side entrance she’d entered, not bothering to check if she was following. He kept walking until he found an unoccupied room and saw that Luna, Sombra and Cadence had also followed. He silently ushered them inside and shut the door. He summoned shadows on their side to muffle the sounds and turned to face them.

“It really is remarkable,” he said. He tried to keep his voice even, but found it rising as he went on. “The most powerful and respected beings in the land, two of whom are in triple digits age-wise. Yet here we are because none of you have risen above the kind of behaviour that would be more befitting of schoolyard foals and fillies than rulers of Equestria!”

“Dusk, please just-“

“No, Cadence! No more of this.” He stalked to face the wall and took a few breaths. It did nothing to calm him down. “I understand the whole concept of maintaining an image and behaving a certain way, the pressures of ruling and perceptions of those around you. But I am sick and tired of this… this game you all seem to be determined to play, even to the detriment of your relationships with each other! The scheming, the double meanings, going behind each other’s backs and all the while letting resentment and frustration fester! This isn’t how adult ponies behave! This isn’t how friends behave!”

He looked to see them all shamefaced. It offered some satisfaction, but he needed to bring it home.

“Celestia, it’s evident that you don’t approve of Sombra. But what good does it do anypony if you keep placing every roadblock imaginable when he’s trying to redeem himself? You didn’t treat Luna this way or Discord or me. I would have thought you’d have learned this, after what you almost did to Ray. But I’m disappointed in you, truly.”

Celestia didn’t try to excuse or defend her behaviour, though her expression betrayed ongoing conflict. He turned to the former king.

“Sombra, you evidently still hold a grudge against Celestia over what happened in the past and over what she’s been doing the past couple of days. You have every right to be angry. But anger alone won’t solve the problem. If you can’t learn to be friends, at least try to put aside your differences for the good of those around you. You can start right now, but after I’ve said my piece.”

Sombra looked somewhat bemused, yet humbled by this. He nodded as Dusk turned to the Empire’s current ruler.

“Cadence, perhaps we started this with good intentions. Maybe I should have been clearer in my objections. But it’s clear to me you’ve been caught up in the same game and you lost sight of why we’re doing this. You never even gave your aunt enough credit to just talk about it. This should never have been about winning or losing. That’s not what love is. You should know that.”

Cadence started to speak, but the words died before they left her mouth. She hung her head as Dusk looked to his teacher.

“Luna, I honestly don’t have much to say to you. You’ve exhibited the same pettiness they all have, but I don’t fault you as much. Cadence was right about one thing: you love Sombra and he loves you. That shouldn’t be something you have to hide, regardless of what anypony else may think. I meant what I said about you being a good match and I want everypony else to see that too. I’m just sorry it’s taken us this long to actually address it.

Luna managed a smile. “I thank you, my friend.”

“Of course. There, now that’s all out in the open and none of us are leaving this room until we reach a resolution.” He planted himself firmly on his flanks. “Talk it through, get over it and move on. Whenever you’re ready.”

He waited. For a long moment, nopony spoke. Then Celestia broke the silence.

“I… I’m so sorry,” she whispered. “Lu-Lu, I… I don’t want to excuse my actions. But please understand, I was… I was afraid.”

“Of what, Tia?”

“Of what came before.” She lapsed into a brief silence then continued. “I was the one who encouraged you to get closer to Sombra, to strengthen diplomatic ties. When I saw him take to your magic, I feared… what he might become. I thought I could stop it, before it was too late. Then, we banished him and we lost the Empire. Not long after, I lost you as well. Seeing him back here, it… it was a reminder of all the ways I had failed you. Looking back, I suppose I… projected those feelings onto Sombra, unfairly. I am… I am truly sorry, to both of you…”

“Sister…” Luna crossed to Celestia and wrapped her in a wing hug. “Those things are not your fault, not completely. Many factors brought about what happened then, not the least of which were the envy in my own heart and how it was pushed. We shouldn’t let these things divide us as they did before, Celestia. Even if it was through my own faults, I lost my sister that day too. I have no desire to repeat it again.”

“Nor would I be the one who drives that wedge between you,” murmured Sombra. “Your fears were not entirely unfounded, Celestia. Even now, the reminder of my past raises my ire. I was a poor king and an unfit ruler. I do not deny this. But I also do not deny that your sister became one of the true bright parts of my life. For her, I would do anything to ensure that past is never repeated. As long as she will have me.”

“She would,” said Luna. She wrapped a wing around him too and held him close. “Dear niece?”

“I’m s-sorry,” she whispered. “I… I look up to you two, so much. I-I know I don’t have the age o-or experience you do. When I saw what was happening, I wanted so badly to p-prove I could be just as good as you are, to prove myself as the P-Princess of Love. But… Dusk is right. I g-guess I let envy into my heart as well. I only wanted… only wanted to help you two be together. I-If I couldn’t do that then… what kind of princess does that make me?”

“A fine one, Cadence,” said Celestia. “I meant what I said about how well you’re ruling the Empire. Can you forgive me, for being such a bad aunt?”

Cadence wiped away her tears and hugged her. “A-As long as you can forgive me for being such a petty niece.”

“I already have.” They broke apart and she turned to Sombra. “Do you love my sister?”

“With all that I am.”

“You would put all you were before behind you for her?”

“For her. For my new friends,” he said, looking at Dusk and Cadence. “For Equestria, your highness.”

“Then I can learn to accept it and if you do decide to make your relationship public, know that you have my full support.” She offered him her hoof. “Perhaps… we can start again?”

“I…” He looked down at it, then at her. “I would like that.”

He reached with his own and shook it. The smile that passed between them was genuine now and Dusk felt his own grow. He was surprised when Cadence hugged him too.

“I’m sorry for dragging you into this, Dusk. You deserve better than that.”

“It’s alright, Cadence. Though I should point out that you now also have cake on you.”

“I think that’s part of the price I have to pay,” she giggled. She licked some off her hoof. “Mm, vanilla and strawberry. Good choice. Shame it’s ruined.”

“We can always bake another cake,” said Celestia. She cast a spell that immediately cleaned them up. “Now, Dusk, I take it that will suffice for ‘getting over it’?”

“I believe so, yes.” A pit of dread formed in his stomach as the weight of what he’d done suddenly hit him. “Um… no disrespect meant to your highnesses. I think I got myself caught up in things.”

“As did we all, my student. I believe we all needed to hear what you had to say. Now then,” declared Luna, “we had best not leave our guests wondering where we have gone.”

Dusk lifted the shadows and stepped back out. The excited murmurings rose in the hall again as they all returned. The castle servants had already cleaned away the worst of the cake spillage and the royals took their place on-stage again. Dusk briefly joined ahead of them to speak to the crowd.

“My apologies, everypony. I was a little eager to sample the cake and paid the price for it.” They laughed appreciatively at this. “I return you back to Princess Luna to tell you all-“

“Excuse me, Dusk?” Celestia stepped up. “I don’t wish to steal my sister’s thunder, but may I speak for a moment?”

Luna gestured for her to go ahead and Dusk stepped aside.

“Thank you. Honoured guests!” she began. “I’m sorry for the sight you all had to witness. Even after a thousand years, a pony always has something new to learn. About being able to trust their friends, their family, to make the correct choices, even though we may not entirely agree with them or see it in the moment. For that is the beauty of both freedom and friendship. That is why I’m pleased to allow my sister to make a very special announcement, one that may surprise you.”

The Princess of the Night beamed. She looked excitedly at Sombra who suddenly looked rather sheepish, though he didn’t resist when she pulled him to the forefront.

“My subjects! My friends! It is my great joy to announce to you all that Sombra…” She fell silent to share a smile with him before they raised their joined hooves. “… is my special somepony!”

An excited chatter ran through the crowd. Their looks ranged from mildly surprised to evident disapproval and even some disappointment on a few faces. But they did nothing to diminish the enormous grin Luna had on her face, especially not when the applause started.

“Thank you, one and all! I invite him now to say a few words, if he wishes. My crystal king?” she asked quietly.

“What? O-Oh, yes.” His cheeks turned red and he cleared his throat. “Ahem, yes. Um, citizens of Canterlot. I… I honestly feel I can’t do much to follow-up on all of that.” Laughter rippled through the crowd again and that seemed to ease him into it. “All I can say is that, from this moment forth, I will do all I can to ensure your confidence and faith in me is not misplaced. For the love of the sun, the moon and all of Equestria, I, Sombra of the Crystal Empire, will give you all that I am to the harmony and friendship we believe in!” He let the applause die down and continued. “I would also like to thank my new friends, Dusk Noir and Princess Cadence. As the Element of Unity and the Princess of Love, I can think of nopony better more befitting of those titles. My friends, bravo to you!”

Dusk felt his own cheeks heat up as they clapped for him too. He caught Cadence’s eye and she grinned too. After bowing, he stepped off the stage as the band started to play again. Ponies cleared the way for Luna and Sombra, who moved to the centre of the dancefloor and began to move to the music, holding one another close.

“Well,” said Cadence when she joined him, “in a roundabout way, I’d say our little mission was a success.”

“Indeed. Mainly thanks to me,” added Dusk.

She raised an eyebrow. “Who are you and what did you do with the nervous little stallion I met on Hearth’s Warming?”

“He’s still in here, somewhere. No doubt you’ll see him again when we actually become in-laws.”

“Oh, so you are thinking about it?”

“Maybe,” he said with a wink. His eyes caught a familiar sight coming across from the entrance hall. “And speaking of in-laws…”

“Dusk! Cadence!”

Twilight came hurrying up, dressed in a deep violet gown with a dash of red like the dying embers of the sun before the stars came out and her mane in a tight bun. The rest of their friends were all filing in as well.

“Nice of you to join us.” He exchanged a brief kiss with her. “You look absolutely amazing.”

“And you look head-over-heels handsome,” she returned. “Sorry we’re late. The wheel on our wagon fell off, if you can believe it. Did we miss anything?”

“Oh, nothing much.” He looked out at Sombra and Luna, still swaying on the dance floor. “Just the usual.”

The former king of shadow and the Princess of the Night had eyes only for each other. She rested her head on his shoulder and he led her gently across the dancefloor. The music guided them in its rhythm, as the singer vocalised a haunting, yet beautiful melody.

Moonlight blue
Grace in the glimmering
Stars are glowing anew

Moonlight blue
Fates in the shimmering
Such a beautiful hue
Here's to you

Author's Note:

The song referenced is Moonlight Blue by Miracle of Sound.

There will be a shorter chapter, updated this Sunday. See you then!