• Published 27th Dec 2013
  • 3,246 Views, 301 Comments

A Ray of Dusk - AlphatheGriffin17



The changelings are gone, Canterlot is safe and the fighting is finished. Little do Dusk and his friends know that the battle is far from over and the war is just beginning.

  • ...
11
 301
 3,246

Magical Mystery Cure

“Any change, Ray?” Twilight asked.

“Nothing,” he said. “I’ve been with him since you left, but he isn’t getting any better. Looks like you fixed what was wrong with everypony else though.”

“We did. But Dusk…” Twilight shook her head and looked to her friends. “Come on, everypony. Let’s see what we can do.”

They followed her into Dusk’s home. What had started out as just a normal day in Ponyville had quickly turned strange. It started with Rarity trying to make the weather fit her aesthetic sense and sporting Rainbow’s cutie mark. An investigation led her to discover the same was true for all her friends. Their cutie marks, their destinies, had all been swapped and they were failing miserably at their mismatched talents.

She’d traced the source to a spell she’d received the previous day from Celestia. An incomplete form of magic by Starswirl the Bearded. Like an idiot, she’d read it aloud in the presence of the Elements of Harmony. They had all be switched around too and it had been chaos ever since. Chaos that was all her fault.

But then she remembered, with help from Spike, just how much her friends meant to her. If she couldn’t remind them of who they were, she’d have to trust in how much their friendship meant to one another to help. And it had worked. With a combination of her friends and the Elements, everything was restored to normal.

Everything except Dusk. Ray had him on the couch. He’d tried to put a blanket on him, get him some food and water but he wasn’t taking any of it. He didn’t even seem aware of the world around him.

His eyes were closed and he rolled about fitfully in place, like he was having a nightmare. When they opened, his eyes were a strange mix of shadow and light. Every now and again, he might say somepony’s name or mutter something under his breath. The rest of the time, it was just pained cries and groans. Worse was his cutie mark. It kept changing between his original scroll and his new one that represented his true talent and the Element of Unity.

The silver necklace they had with them wasn’t looking much better. The jewels that made it up kept changing too, randomly shifting between different colours but none of what they should be. The thought that she’d inadvertently put him in such discomfort hurt Twilight more than anything.

But she’d fix it. They would fix it. They had to.

“Ah don’t get it,” said Applejack. “How come it’s affectin’ him so bad? Sure, we were put through the wringer too, but nothin’ like this.”

“Maybe it’s something to do with his Element. It focuses the power of the others, doesn’t it?” Fluttershy tried to hold his hoof, but he yanked it from her grip. “Oh poor Dusk. He looks awful…”

“Exactly. The Element of Magic wasn’t affected because I cast the spell, but it swapped the very essence of your Elements between you all. Dusk though…” She looked at him. “He doesn’t have an equivalent. There’s nopony for him to swap with because Unity acts to bring the others together to perform the magic. Instead, Dusk is alternating between two different destinies. Who he is now and who he might have been.”

“And it can’t make up its mind. Look, there!” Pinkie pointed to his cutie mark which had turned back to his true one. “That’s it, just stay on that and… nope, gone again. Ooh, back again! Aaaand gone again. This is making me dizzy.”

“So we just do what we already did,” said Rainbow. “Talk to him, remind him of who he really is and slap his Element on. Done, right?”

Ray stepped up. “Believe me, I’ve tried everything to snap him out of it. Talking to him, yelling at him, telling him one of my completely-true-and-not-exaggerated tales. I even tried old faithful.” He raised a rusty metal pipe. “Nothing’s worked. The only thing I haven’t tried is kissing him and I didn’t think Twilight would appreciate that.”

“No, I wouldn’t and did you seriously hit my unwell coltfriend with a pipe?!”

“What? I figured it would work!”

“So what do we do?” asked Rarity. “There has to be something we can try. What about the Elements themselves? Perhaps if we tried them together, we can fix whatever the matter is with Unity.”

Twilight nodded. “That was my idea too. I tried using a spell on him earlier, similar to the one I used to get rid of Doom. But it was like something blocked me out. I don’t think he realises he’s even doing it. The only chance we have now is to use the Elements.”

“Then what are we still standin’ around for?” asked Applejack. “Come on, y’all! Our friend needs our help.”

“What about me?” asked Ray. “Is there anything else I can do?”

“You’ve already done enough, Ray. Just stand clear so we don’t hit you. Don’t worry, we’ll handle the rest.”

“Alright, fine. Just…” He looked at Dusk. “Seeing him like this and not being able to do anything…”

“I know. Believe me, I know. But it’ll be okay,” she said, placing a hoof on his shoulder. “We’ll bring him back.”

Ray looked down at her hoof, then at her. He nodded silently and stepped aside. Together with the rest of her friends, they gathered around Dusk in a circle. Twilight placed his silver necklace around his neck and the Element seemed to react to their presence. The jewels within it glowed, albeit very faintly and they didn’t stop changing.

With a quick look to her friends, they began to tap into the magic of the Elements. The rainbow stream emerged from the jewels, connecting them all together and streaming into Unity. Then suddenly, Twilight felt her stomach lurch and everything flashed a brilliant white.


The first thing Applejack knew was that she was falling. Now she certainly wasn’t afraid of heights, but like any good earth pony, she liked her hooves on solid ground. The only problem was that she was hurtling towards solid ground faster than she would have liked.

Just as she was about to smack into it, she suddenly stopped. She floated in place for a moment, then gently lowered down. Breathing a sigh of relief and making sure her Stetson hadn’t blown off, she tried to get her bearings.

“Twilight? Ya there?” she called. “Rainbow Dash? Anypony at all?”

There was no answer and that wasn’t the only weird thing. It had been the middle of the day, but now it was suddenly night time. Had something gone wrong with the spell? Where had they all gone and just where in Equestria was she? As she examined her surroundings, that last question was soon answered.

The crumbling, ancient stone. Vines creeping in from the surrounding forest. A fancy plinth with several branches coming off the centre. Applejack knew this place, though it had been a long time since she was last here. On the night her life had changed forever.

“The Castle of the Royal Sisters,” she said to herself. “Now how in tarnation did ah wind up here? Best find the others, then we can sort this whole mess out.”

She might as well check the immediate area. Though they weren’t in this room, she knew the throne room wasn’t far off. It felt strange, running towards those stairs again. Like that feeling of… what was it called? That thing where you felt like something already happened? She made a note to ask Twilight about it later.

She climbed the stairs, memories coming back to her. Arriving here to find the Elements. Twilight getting taken by Nightmare Moon. Following a ghost-like, sparkly version of her to find her again. The realisation of what it had been. Definitely the first in what would be many strange events in the farm pony’s life.

And she wouldn’t trade it for anything.

Upon arriving at the top of the stairs, she spotted the form of another pony. A form she recognised, though she hadn’t expected to find him.

“Dusk! There ya are!” She hurried over to him. “You’ve had us worried, sugar cube. Do ya know what’s goin’ on?” He said nothing. “Dusk? Dusk, what’s wrong?”

Still no reply. The stallion’s head was hung, his eyes closed. He was upright and breathing, just clammed up. She also noticed a few things. He wasn’t wearing his hat and his cutie mark was his old one. Unity wasn’t around his neck either, even though they put it on him when they came in here. She remembered what Twilight said, about how he was bouncing back and forth between different versions of himself.

“Dusk?” She moved around to sit in front of him, gently touching his chin with her hoof. “Do ya know who ah am, sugar?”

Now, his eyes opened. There was no light in them, no life. They saw her but that was about it.

“Applejack?” he said quietly. “Y-Yes. I know you. But… you’re trapped. Sh-She put you in the moon.”

He didn’t say this with any surprise, just acknowledging what he felt was a fact. Like it didn’t make much difference either way. Applejack wanted to ask who ‘she’ was but kept it to herself for now.

“Well, ah’m back now,” she said. “Ah’m here ta help ya out, Dusk. Ya look like ya got yerself in a bit of a fix.”

“Oh. I suppose so.” He cast his eyes down again. “I’m sorry you wasted your time. Y-You should go. I’m… I’m not worth saving.”

“Now, how in the world did ya get that idea in yer head?” she asked. “A-course yer worth savin’, Dusk.”

“No, I’m not. I tried, I did but… it all went wrong. I-It’s all my fault. Nightmare Moon won.” He lay down, like he was about to curl up and fall asleep. “You have a chance now. Y-You can stop her. I’d… just get in the way.”

Nightmare Moon. That explained a few things, but she didn’t think the Elements brought them back in time. But maybe that was how Dusk was seeing it. He trained with Luna, including how to move around in dreams. Maybe the spell Twilight used had put him in some kind of super-dream, one they couldn’t just wake him out of. He was literally stuck in his own head.

Applejack’s heart went out to the poor colt. He really was like how he used to be: lacking in confidence. Alone. Kicking himself when he was already down so low, she could plant him in the orchard with the rest of the seeds. Time to bring him back up.

“Ah need you too, Dusk. We all do.” She lay down and lowered her head. “Ya can help us ta stop her.”

He shook his head. “No, I can’t. I’m the reason she won. I can’t do anything. I’m nothing special…”

“Now, who said anythin’ about bein’ special?” she asked. “I want ya with me because yer my friend.”

His ears perked up at that. Slowly, like he didn’t quite believe she was really there or had said that, he looked at her.

“You… You do?”

“Now, I remember when ah firs’ saw a similar look on that face. It was the day we met, remember?” She nudged his leg. “Ya came up ta buy one of my apples. Just as you were headin’ off, ah asked if you were new in town. Ya looked like a rabbit in headlights that somepony’d even ask ya fer the time ah day. Ah thought, right then an’ there, ‘here’s a fella who looks like he could use a friend’. Ya even walked me home when ah asked ya, like a proper gentlecolt.”

“I… I remember,” he murmured.

“Should hope so. Now, yer always sayin’ that a good gentlecolt never leaves a lady unescorted and ah never leave ma friends in a jam, if ah can help it. So come on, sugar cube.” She stood up, offering her hoof. “How ‘bout we fix both them problems?”

He stared at her hoof, then at her. Tentatively, he reached out and took it. Tears were welling in his eyes while she hauled him to his hooves. When she offered him a hug, he gladly took it.

“I’m s-sorry, Applejack.” His shoulders shook as she held him. “I-I’m so, so sorry…”

“Ain’t nothin’ ta be sorry for, sugar. Ah’m here now, it’s alright.” She broke away and smiled at him. “Come on now, dry those eyes. Ah’m gonna need yer help ta find the others. They’re somewhere about, but it’d go a lot quicker with what you can do.”

Dusk blinked. “What… what I can do?”

“Come on, Dusk. All-a yer friends, lost somewhere in the forest and yer the one lookin’. Should feel pretty familiar, shouldn’t it?” she asked with a wink. “Just this time, ah found ya firs’.”

“O-Oh. Oh, of course. Um…” He thought for a moment. “I-I don’t know who we should look for first.”

He looks so lost, Applejack thought. Whatever happened to him while he was in this ‘dream’ must have been pretty rough. Remembering how Twilight had fixed their mismatched destinies, Applejack figured it was best to go with her gut. If Unity worked using all the Elements, they’d need all of the Elements to fix it and its wielder.

“Well, right now sugar, ah’d say yeh could use a lil’ cheerin’ up and who better’n a certain mare we know?” she suggested. “We’ll probably hear ‘fore we see her at any rate.”

That brought out a little smile. He nodded and a glowing form of Pinkie Pie appeared. Immediately, it started to bounce away and they took off after it.

Dusk didn’t say much as they ran and Applejack didn’t press him. For one, having a conversation is pretty hard when you’re galloping full pelt. For another, even though some spark was back in him, it still needed some work. It wasn’t that she didn’t have any confidence in that area, but this had to be a group effort.

The form of Pinkie led them out across the rope bridge. Before long, Applejack heard the sound of somepony singing to themselves in a series of ‘la-la-las’. Only one pony she knew would be so perky in a place like this.

“Pinkie!” she called out. “Pinkie, is that you?”

“Sure is! Hey, I thought I saw something glowy over here and look! It’s a glowy me!” She came bouncing from around a thicket of trees, stopping in front of her colour puppet. “Applejack and Dusky Psychic Pony! I knew you’d find me, with those mental powers of yours.”

His cheeks flushed with embarrassment. “I um… well, I…”

“Well, this sure is a blast from the past,” she remarked. “Haven’t seen you like this for aaaages. Guess you got yourself in a pretty bad rut, huh?”

“Y-You could say that,” he muttered.

“Ah reckon this is back when we firs’ became friends and we had ta deal with Nightmare Moon,” said Applejack. “Only this time, seems like she got the jump on us.”

“I figured it was something like that.” She giggled as they both stared. “What? It looked pretty obvious to me. So what are we waiting for? We beat her once, we can do it again!”

“But how?” asked Dusk. “Sh-She’s so powerful and we don’t even have all of the Elements.”

“We don’t have all the Elements yet,” said Pinkie. “But look at that! We’re already one more than we had, so let’s go and get the rest.”

Dusk sighed. “You make it sound so easy.”

“Never said it would be, but we won’t know for sure until we do it.”

“But look at what’s happened.” He gestured up at the night sky. “H-How can we possibly make any difference?”

“That’s easy, silly. With a smile!”

Dusk’s expression soured. “I really think we need more than that.”

“Aww, don’t be like that, Dusky. I know just one smile doesn’t seem like much. But the thing about smiles is, they always start out small. Then it catches and before you know, everypony else is smiling too!” She bounced at the thought. “You give it enough time, Dusky and the smallest things can be the biggest things of all. You just gotta make a start. So come on! Lemme see that smile.”

“I… I don’t know…”

“Sure you do! You’re Mr Psychic Pony.” She leaned into his face. “Come on, guess what I’m thinking.”

“Pinkie…”

“Come ooon…!”

He chuckled reluctantly. “You’re um… you’re thinking that… that you want to see me smile?”

“Righteroonie! I knew you’d get it.”

“I-It was rather obvious.”

“You still got it. And look at that!” She pointed at his face. “That looks like a smile to me.”

He laughed again. “Just a small one.”

“And it’s getting bigger all the time,” she replied. “Let’s see if we can help it along by finding more of our friends. But first! Looks like somepony could use a hug.”

Already looking a little better, Dusk accepted Pinkie’s offer. She hugged him firmly, but not so much that she was crushing him. He didn’t cry this time, but he looked a lot lighter than before.

“Thank you, Pinkie.” He was still smiling when they broke apart. “You’re amazing, I hope you know that.”

“Aww, you charmer. Thanks Dusky. You are too.” She gave him a friendly nuzzle and beamed. “Now come on! Let’s go win this Hide and Seek game. I don’t know about you, but I know somepony who gives even better hugs than me.”

Dusk nodded and weaved a shape of cream yellow with swirls of pink. The puppet of Fluttershy set off into the forest.

“There, see? Psychic!” Pinkie declared. “Let’s go find our Fluttershy!”

Dusk started, then stopped. He looked down at his hooves, then around at them. His eyes lingered on one, then the other. Applejack couldn’t tell what was on his mind, but he seemed to be deep in thought about something. Not unusual, but something about it made Applejack feel… uneasy. A glance at Pinkie told her she felt the same.

“Uh, Dusk? Everythin’ alright?” she asked.

“Hmm?” He’d been staring at the puppet of Fluttershy. “O-Oh, I’m fine.”

“You sure? You look like you’ve got a bit knocking in your noggin,” said Pinkie.

“It’s nothing.” He turned away from them. “I just… I need to prove him wrong.”

He said this last part so quietly, Applejack almost didn’t hear it. She was about to ask what he meant when he set off. She looked at Pinkie who shrugged and followed, Applejack doing the same.

The trio galloped after the colour form, guided along by its gentle light. Applejack caught Pinkie’s eye and the two shared a grin. Applejack knew she’d been on the money with tracking her down first but she was keen to find Fluttershy. Though she’d proven able to tame even the most fearsome of creatures, they’d all feel a lot better knowing she was back with them.

Dusk seemed to have some vigour renewed in him. Determination was all over his face and he ran with purpose. In fact, he ran faster than Applejack expected him to. More than once, he tripped over a tree root or got himself tangled briefly in vines. When either Applejack or Pinkie tried to help, he’d push them off or shake his head until he got himself free.

“Slow down there, sugar,” said Applejack. “Ya don’t want ta run yer head inta a rock ya didn’t see.”

“I can see just fine,” he insisted. “We need to find her and we need to hurry.”

“Yeah but we gotta stick together too,” said Pinkie. “You can’t save her all by yourself!”

Dusk said nothing to this and galloped on.

A stench filled Applejack’s nose. They had arrived in some kind of boggy marsh. The water was still and covered in a green, foul-smelling layer that made her nostrils wrinkle. Trees covered in the same stuff grew from the rank water, their roots visible as they crept down below the unseen surface.

Applejack looked up at the puppet. As she feared might be the case, it was leading them into the marsh. Well, she wasn’t one to shirk from getting her hooves dirty. She was about to test its depths when Dusk held her back.

“I wouldn’t, if I were you.”

He picked up a stone and threw it near one of the trees. The moment it splashed against the water, the tree began to move. The roots lashed out like snakes, probing the water before settling again.

“Tendril trees,” Dusk explained. “Unique to the forest. They’ll drain the energy of anything they can get their roots on.”

“Even ponies? But that could mean-!”

“Help! Somepony help me, please!”

They all froze at the sound. They ran around the marsh’s edge. Within sight of the shoreline, in the grasping tendrils of a tree, Fluttershy tried to get herself free. The tendril was around her leg and more were trying to get a grip.

“Oh everypony! Thank goodness!” She pulled harder, but so did the tree. “I-It won’t let go!”

“Don’t worry, we’re comin’!” cried Applejack. “Okay, we can get her out if we- Dusk, what in the hay are ya doin’?!”

The stallion leaped onto a white cloud of colour, floating across the marsh towards her. Fighting the urge to throw something at him, Applejack watched as he neared. Maybe he’d be able to pull this off.

“I’ve got you, Fluttershy!” He reached out as he neared her. “Quick, duck!”

She did so and he fired a stream of colour pellets. It was enough to make the tree let go. She started to fall, but he veered the cloud underneath so he could catch her. Breathing heavily, she latched onto him in a hug.

“D-Dusk… thank you, oh thank you!”

“It’s alright, you’re safe now,” he said. “Come on, let’s get you back to-“

He was cut off when a grasping tendril wrapped around his leg and pulled him off. Crying out in surprise, his hoof flashed orange and he tried to hit it. But another tendril got his hoof, wrapping it against his body and pulling him in.

“Dusk, no!”

Fluttershy grabbed his other hoof while she hovered in place, trying to pull him free. He fired more pellets at the tree, but with trying to keep hold of Fluttershy, his attention was divided and the shots went wild. Worse, the tree’s tendril was reaching for Fluttershy again. At this rate, they’d both be trapped.

“Hold on, y’all!”

Applejack yanked some vines down from a nearby tree. She tugged to test their strength, tied them off in a knot and looped them around a branch. Fortunately, it was just from a regular tree and didn’t move. She tightened it, leaving a single dangling line between where they were and where their friends struggled.

“Pinkie, go! I got this!” she said with the vine clenched between her teeth.

“On it!” With a running start, she jumped for the vine and swung from it. “Weeeee!”

She angled it around, sticking her rear legs out so they kicked the tendrils holding Dusk. They let go and she scooped up the stallion, soaring around to drop him off near Applejack and landing with a flip.

“Ta-da!” She bowed. “Dashie’s not the only one with tricks.”

“Oh thank goodness.” Fluttershy had flown out of the tree’s reach the moment Dusk was safe and touched down. “I’m so relieved you’re all okay.”

“That was a close one.” Applejack spat out the vine and strode over to Dusk. “Now, speakin’ as somepony who’s also close friends with Rainbow Dash, that was pretty darn stupid. What in land sake’s were ya thinkin’?!”

Dusk winced at her tone, frowning like a child not happy about being told off.

“That I had to save Fluttershy,” he muttered.

“Which we all coulda helped out with!” argued Applejack. “Instead, ya went and did somethin’ that nearly got ya both hogtied by that thing.”

“So I’m just being a stupid stallion again?” he shot back.

“Sure as sugar looked like it ta me. Didn’t help that you were chargin’ head first on the way here too.” She let her voice soften a bit. “I wanna save our friends too, but that ain’t no reason ta get all reckless like that.”

He looked away. “It’s not that simple.”

“Then make it simple, Dusk. Tell us what’s eatin’ ya.”

“You wouldn’t understand.”

“Well, that’s pretty silly,” said Pinkie. “Of course we won’t understand if you don’t tell us. We’re not psychic too, you should know that.”

“Pinkie, I’m not in the mood for jokes.”

“Good, ‘cause I’m not joking,” she said simply. “Like I said, you can’t do it all on your own. We help each other.”

“But I have to!” He looked up with a glare. “Don’t you see? I have to!”

“No, ya don’t!” Applejack retorted. “Ah know ya blame yerself for what’s goin’ on but that ain’t-“

“Yes, it is!” he shouted. “It is my fault, all of it! But I can fix it, I have to! I need to be able to do this! I can’t always rely on other ponies to pick me up again! I have to do this, I need to do this otherwise… what good am I to myself? Or anypony?”

For a long moment, nopony made a sound. Dusk’s breathing slowed in the wake of his outburst. Regret and anger flashed over his face. Before Applejack could offer up anything, a voice broke the silence.

“So accepting help from others makes you weak?” Fluttershy’s voice may have been quiet, but in that moment nothing sounded louder. “Is that what you think? Does that make me weak?”

“Fluttershy…” Dusk started towards her. “I-I didn’t mean it like-“

“Dusk. I want you to listen and listen carefully.” Her voice was firm, but assertive. She didn’t yell or shout and Dusk obeyed. “I was scared when that tree had me. When I thought nopony would find me. But what was even worse was… was seeing you be trapped too. Not when you didn’t have to put yourself in danger like that.”

“B-But… but I…” He looked away in shame. “I h-had to try…”

“But you had Applejack and Pinkie Pie here too. You didn’t have to do it by yourself.” She pressed her hoof against his cheek. “You’re never weak because you need somepony else’s help. Life is really hard and really frightening, a lot of the time. Some ponies can do it all on their own but that doesn’t mean you should have to. Not when you have ponies that care about you. If you’ve made a mistake, there’s nothing wrong with your friends helping fix that either.”

“And how,” said Applejack. “Ah learned a long time ago ta not be a stubborn mule when it comes ta takin’ help from folks. Take it from a pony who tried ta harvest a whole orchard by herself.”

“Or refused to come home until she’d earned the money she felt she owed everypony?” added Pinkie.

Applejack chuckled. “Exactly. We’re all here ta help each other out, Dusk. Y’all did the same with me an’ my family with the Flim-Flam brothers. So quit tryin’ ta shoulder the weight-a the world an’ let us share the load. Sound good?”

Dusk gazed around at them all, settling on Fluttershy. She smiled and hugged him. He returned it gratefully. He sniffed loudly, wiped his eyes and took a few breaths.

“You’re right,” he said quietly. “I’m… I’m sorry.”

Fluttershy patted his shoulder. “It’s okay. We’re all here now, that’s what matters. I-I mean, not all of us and… oh goodness, we need to find everypony else!”

“On it.” He weaved the shape of Rainbow Dash, which soared off towards Ponyville. “At least we seem to be heading closer to the town.”

“Let’s get movin’ then!” Applejack ran alongside Dusk. “Sorry fer callin’ ya stupid, sugar cube.”

“It’s alright. Though maybe um, we could start to dial down on the misandry a bit?” he said with an awkward laugh. “I-I’ve said it before but um… none of you are guiltless of so-called stupidity either.”

“Ah’d say that’s fair enough. Now let’s go find Rainbow! She can be reckless fer all-a us.”

They pressed on and ended up finding two ponies for the price of one in a large forest clearing. Rarity was with Rainbow Dash and the pair looked to be in a state. About a dozen scaly creatures with large ears and malicious grins were swiping at them with their claws.

Rainbow spotted the glow of Dusk’s puppet and waved them over, flinching as one of them hit her leg.

“I thought I recognised that! Mind giving us a hoof here? These things are-“ She yelped when something struck her flank. “Alright, come here you little…!”

“Oh no! Gremlins!” Fluttershy retreated behind her mane. “Th-They’re really nasty. Even I-I don’t like dealing with them.”

“Hey Dusk!” Rainbow yelled. “These guys don’t like bright lights, remember? Give ‘em a taste!”

“What? O-Oh yes! Shield your eyes!”

Rainbow and Rarity did as he suggested, just as he exploded a couple of lilac colour orbs. The gremlins screeched in annoyance, reduced to swinging blindly. Not a problem for the pony friends.

“Yeehaw!” cried Applejack, bucking one of them. “Take that, ya lil’ varmint!”

Rarity flip-kicked over the head of one, slamming her rear hooves down on its head. Rainbow scooped up two of them and slammed their heads together, dropping them from the sky. Pinkie bounced on their heads like stepping stones. One of the gremlins managed to open its eyes, but was subjected to the full force of Fluttershy’s Stare. Dusk grabbed one with his shadow tendril and hurled it at another, firing colour pellets at one further away and slamming orange hooves into a gremlin that tried to charge.

The little monsters could see the fight wasn’t in their favour. With panicked shrieks, they fled back into the surrounding darkness.

“Yeah that’s right, go on and run!” jeered Rainbow. She landed and faced Dusk. “Too bad you weren’t wearing the old Shadow Spectre outfit this time, huh?”

“I-I suppose,” he muttered. “I’m glad you’re both okay.”

“As are we, darling.” Rarity dusted off her hoof. “I never engaging in such uncivilised behaviour, but when needs must.”

“And you guys all found each other. Awesome! But we’re still one pony short.” Rainbow zipped up to Dusk. “Come on, whip up another puppet and let’s go get her!”

“W-Well… I’ll gladly help find her, but…” He rubbed the back of his head and stepped away. “Y-You’d be better of rescuing her yourselves. I’ll… watch from the side-lines.”

Rarity frowned. “Dusk, whatever do you mean? This is Twilight we’re talking about. I expected you to be leading the charge.”

“I… I don’t deserve to lead anything, e-especially not with regards to Twilight…” He turned his head away. “I-I’d only make things worse. Just like I already did…”

“You said something like that before,” said Fluttershy.

“An’ ya said somethin’ about me bein’ trapped in the moon,” added Applejack. “Sugar, why don’t ya tell us what happened? Maybe we can help make sense-a things.”

Dusk looked around at them all. They were all willing to listen. He took a moment, then told them everything. How he’d woken up on a normal day in Canterlot and then things started to get strange. Getting memories of things that he’d never done and ponies he’d never met. Winding up being chased by Celestia and her guards, sent away by past versions of themselves and ending with helping Nightmare Moon conquer Equestria.

He seemed to hesitate before finishing and Applejack got the feeling he was holding something back. But she decided not to press him for it. He looked pretty plum tuckered just admitting all of that and reliving it. The others all seemed to agree. Rainbow was the first to speak up.

“Yeah, sounds like you messed up pretty bad.”

Fluttershy gasped. “Rainbow!”

“What? It’s true. If I didn’t know him and he’d come out with all of that, I’d think he was nuts too. But here’s the thing…” She smiled awkwardly. “I’ve… screwed up once or twice myself.”

“Only once or twice?” asked Applejack pointedly.

“Okay, maybe a little more than that. Point is,” she went on, “I’ve made a mess of things too. I mean, we just relived one of them. Remember the whole town hero thing?”

“Aaaand being too competitive with Applejack, getting possessed by a fairy which made you hit on Dusk, breaking into a hospital rather than admit you like reading-“

“Yeah, got all that, thanks Pinkie.”

“And I’ve not exactly got a clean sheet myself,” said Rarity. “What with the debacle with Sweetie Belle, getting all swept up in the glamour of Canterlot, disagreements with both Applejack and Ray. The point is, everypony makes mistakes, Dusk.”

“Mistakes so bad that they doom the world to a tyrant?” murmured Dusk.

Rainbow shrugged. “Well, maybe not that bad. But hey, we all got turned around by Discord and his tricks, you became a whole other evil pony from that whole thing and you’ve run away when you’ve so much as accidentally chipped somepony’s hoof. Like, a lot.”

“’Sides, Dusk,” said Applejack. “All of this stuff here? It ain’t real. Yer stuck in some kinda dream because of some weird mix-up with a spell.”

“What does that matter? Real or not, it felt real to me and everything that happened is on me,” he argued.

“So what, you’re just gonna feel sorry for yourself about it? Because that’s not the Dusk I know,” said Rainbow. “Yeah, the Dusk I know felt sorry for himself about it for a bit, but you know what else he did? He picked himself up, brushed himself down and he dealt with it. Even if it was tough, even if it hurt, he did it.”

Dusk made a dismissive gesture with his hoof. “But all the things I’ve done… that he’s done, i-it’s all been because of somepony else. Celestia o-or Luna or some ancient prophecy. Not because of me.”

Pinkie giggled. “Well, that’s just not true! Sure, Celestia gave you a helping hoof and Luna tweaked a few things and your ancestor wrote it all down in a prophecy. But you know what the thing they all have in common is? You!”

“I… well, yes but…” Dusk frowned in confusion. “I don’t follow.”

“Well, it’s like a party. You have the snacks and the games and the presents and all the ponies you invited along. But what happens if you take out just one of those things?” Pinkie smiled. “No snacks, no games, no presents. You can make do without any of those, but no ponies? That’s not much of a party and you, Dusk, are all the ponies at that party.”

“I believe what Pinkie is trying to say,” said Rarity, “is that these opportunities were presented to you but it was you who acted on them. Celestia didn’t make you come and find us in the Everfree Forest. Luna didn’t tell you to stand with us against Discord, when you didn’t even know you were an Element. A prophecy didn’t lead us against the changeling horde and that’s just the big things. What about all the little things, Dusk? Like always having time for tea and a chat?”

“Helping me out with flying practice,” said Rainbow.

“Making sure I didn’t miss out on my own surprise birthday party,” said Pinkie.

“Lookin’ out fer me an’ my family,” said Applejack.

“Looking after my animals and even giving one of them a home,” said Fluttershy. “Not only that, but offering another lonely stallion the kind of friendship he’s never had before, giving us another wonderful friend and for me… something much more, despite all he’s been through.”

“There, ya see?” Applejack beamed at him. “All those things, that’s all you, sugar cube. Not because somepony made ya, but because yer you. An’ we like you, along with the unicorn who thinks yer pretty darn special, no matter what ya say.”

“You mean… th-the memories I’ve been getting, the visions… they’re all real?” he asked. “They… they actually happened?”

“Every single one of them,” said Fluttershy. “You’re our friend, Dusk. Whatever mistakes you’ve made or your shortcomings, we wouldn’t change that for the world.”

He stared around at them all in shock. One by one, he looked into all their faces. He settled on Pinkie Pie, a smile steadily growing again.

“The smallest things c-can be… the biggest things of all,” he echoed.

“It all adds up, doesn’t it?” she replied. “So how about we do one more extra special big thing and go save our favourite bookworm?”

He nodded, tears trickling down his cheeks again. “Th-Thank you. Thank you all, so m-much. I… I don’t deserve any of you…”

“Yeah, we’re pretty amazing. But hey? By extension, that means you are too,” said Rainbow with a wink.

“Well, I… uh…” He looked down at himself. “Do any of you happen to know why my chest is glowing?”

Applejack saw what he meant. A faint glow was hovering around the area just below his neck. Right around where he’d wear his Element of Harmony. She could make out the faint marks of the colours of the jewels that made them up. And was it her imagination, or was his old cutie mark starting to become faint?

“I dunno,” said Pinkie. “The cleaning power of Daz?”

“I’m not sure that’s right,” said Fluttershy. “But you must know, Dusk. You already started to realise it in your visions.”

“You mean…?” He stared at the glow in awe. “My… my Element of Harmony?”

“Sure looks like it. But I think it knows we’re not quite done yet. So come on!” Rainbow cried. “Let’s go find Twilight and get ready to kick Nightmare’s flank all over again!”

“Yes ma’am,” said Dusk with a salute.

He crafted an image of Twilight. It started to canter away, then abruptly stopped. They waited for it to move, but it remained motionless.

“Uh, I think it’s broken.” Pinkie tried tapping it but her hoof past straight through. “Maybe try turning it off and on again?”

“Come on, that won’t work.” Rainbow raised an eyebrow as Dusk vanished it and remade it. “Oh wow, you actually did it.”

“Might as well try. But,” he said, when it still didn’t move, “I don’t think that’s the problem.”

“Maybe she’s already here,” suggested Fluttershy. “She might be nearby or some creature has her and we need to help!”

“But she ain’t anywhere here,” said Applejack. “Unless…”

They all shared a look. Then, at the same time, they all looked up to the sky. Just in time to see something hurtling towards them.

“DOWN!”

Rainbow and Applejack shoved those nearest away. Dusk as the closest, only just managed to raise a shield in time. They were all knocked aside by the force of the object crashing into the ground. An object made of smoky starlight, that reformed into a grinning visage of an old enemy.

Applejack tensed as Nightmare Moon cackled.


Even with his shield, Dusk was still dazed from the impact. Pinkie and Rarity helped him to his hooves, but his head was ringing and he really had to focus. Not that it was difficult. The sight before them was hard to miss.

“Well, well,” Nightmare Moon purred. “It seems my faithful acolyte was nothing but a deceiver this whole time. How disappointing.”

Dusk flinched in shame, but he didn’t back down. He wasn’t alone against her anymore. He had his friends back and they’d stop her. But they needed Twilight. He looked for her, but there was still no sign.

Nightmare grinned. “Looking for somepony?”

She gestured to a floating orb of moonlight next to her. Within it was Twilight, banging against the surface though no sound escaped.

“I thought I sensed a build-up of familiar energy.” She glared at the others. “At first, I thought you somehow managed to escape until I heard the farm pony share something most enlightening and I realised the truth. This is a dream, though even I didn’t realise it at first. You all came from outside this realm of existence.

“You fiend! Release her at once!” yelled Rarity.

“Oh ho! And who are you, to command me?” Her horn flared and magic sparked from the orb into her. “Now that you’re here and you’ve brought me the Elements, rather than trapping you in the moon, I had a much better idea. I will use them to escape this dream and bring my eternal night to the waking world! Equestria will be mine and nothing will stop me!”

She fired a bolt of lightning, one far more powerful than others. His head was still fuzzy, he didn’t process it until it was much too late. Dusk shut his eyes, calling on a shield spell but knew he’d acted too slowly.

The bolt struck, rendering the ground it hit…

… yet they were completely fine. A shimmering yellow shield surrounded them all.

“We’re okay? We’re okay!” cried Pinkie. “Nice work with the shield, Dusk!”

“That… that isn’t me,” he said.

That was when they saw Fluttershy. She had moved to the front of the group, her hooves outstretched. Her Element was burning brightly and though she was clearly afraid, she wasn’t backing down.

“Fluttershy?” Dusk stared at her and the shield. “That’s… that’s my magic. You’re using my magic!”

“I am? Oh my!” She looked at her hooves like they were about to fall off. “I-I didn’t even think, I didn’t know this would happen! I just wanted to protect everypony!”

“I’d say you’re doing pretty good at it! And hey, your Element is glowing too!” Rainbow pointed at it. “Hey, you coloured your magic after us right? You think maybe…?”

A screeching reached their ears. Nightmare Moon had summoned a swarm of demonic bats, eyes shining red and fangs bared.

“Lower it, quick!” Rainbow flexed her wings. “I wanna try something.”

The shield flickered away. As the bats swarmed towards them, Rainbow took off. Her Element glowing, she fired a rapid stream of cerulean colour pellets at them. Dusk joined in as well, adding a sweeping field of fire. The bats vanished in puffs of smoke and what few were left veered away.

“Aw yeah!” she cheered. “We’ve all got access to your magic!”

“So it would seem.” He looked at his glowing chest. “My Element must be channelling my magic to all of yours.”

“Who cares how it’s happening? Now we have a shot at saving Twilight!” She swooped down in front of them. “Come on guys! Let’s show Nightmare Moron what we’re made of!”

She corkscrewed at the Mare of Darkness, firing off colour pellets as she went. Nightmare blocked them with her own shield and sent down lightning but Rainbow was already veering off.

“Yer magic huh? Let’s give it a whirl.” Applejack’s hooves turned orange and she slammed them into the ground, making it crack. “Well cover me in treacle and call me a candied apple!”

She slammed them again, causing two large chunks of earth to dislodge and bucked them with her hooves. Nightmare’s eyes widened and she became formless, dodging them by seconds. She reformed, snarling in anger only to have something pink smack into her.

“What in the-?!” It smacked into her again. “Who dares show such insolence?!”

The answer came in the form of a giggling Pinkie Pie. Not content with just making her hooves bouncy, which was pretty much her default, she’d encased her whole body in a magical pink bouncy ball. She bounded off trees, the ground and Nightmare herself like an oversized pinball.

“Enough!” Spreading her wings, she took to the skies. “You foals! You think you can best me?!”

“Most certainly, darling! Allow me to demonstrate!”

She only had time to look before a well-manicured hoof kicked her in the face. Rarity, floating on a glittering white cloud, smirked roguishly at her. Nightmare shrieked and unleashed her fury.

She spun away from Nightmare’s lightning onto more clouds, pirouetting and cartwheeling in a deadly dance. Nightmare tried to intercept her, but Rarity tricked her with a feint. She jumped onto a cloud in front of her, making Nightmare target one next to her and punched her twice. She landed on a cloud and double kicked her in the chest.

“Take that, you over aggrandising witch!”

Nightmare’s eyes flashed. “Begone!”

Drawing more magic from Twilight, she summoned an entire storm of lightning. It was too much even for Rarity to avoid. Just as a bolt struck her, she was saved by a shield projected by Fluttershy. She lowered Rarity back down while Rainbow swooped in to run interference and angled away shortly after.

“Wow, this is so cool!” Pinkie squealed. “Using your colours is so much fun, Dusk!”

“Fun won’t do us much good, if we don’t find a way ta rescue Twilight,” said Applejack. “We just need ta bust that bubble.”

“But we can’t just hit it. What if we hurt Twilight?” asked Fluttershy.

“You little fools! You don’t stand a chance against-!” Nightmare winced. “What? What’s happening?”

Dusk could see Twilight in the orb. Her face was screwed up in concentration. The stream of magic between the orb was becoming tinged with purple aura.

Nightmare snarled. “Oh no you don’t!”

Her horn flashed and Twilight cried out silently. But she resumed her efforts, albeit with greater exertion.

She was up to something. She just needed time to do it and Nightmare’s attention to be elsewhere.

“Everypony! Rush her!” he ordered. “Don’t give her a moment to breathe!”

With a collective cry, they charged this time with Dusk in tow. Taking a step up from lightning, Nightmare sent a hail of meteors towards them but he added his magic to Fluttershy’s to double the shield strength. They winced from the impact, but held.

Pinkie surrounded herself in the bubble and let Applejack buck her. The added strength from the orange magic hooves made her zoom in even faster. Nightmare managed to deflect her, but didn’t see Rainbow dive in behind her with a stream of pellets. Snarling in annoyance, she attempted to strike the Pegasus, only to be struck by Pinkie’s rebound.

Meanwhile, Rarity conjured a white cloud while Dusk and Fluttershy kept them protected. They soared up towards Nightmare, still being distracted by her other attackers. Fluttershy projected the shield around her, trapping her in it. She broke free with a shockwave of magic, but it gave Rarity and Dusk long enough to get in close on a white cloud.

Rarity went high, Dusk went low. He punched the backs of her legs, forcing her to kneel while Rarity struck her on the back, further buckling her. Dusk used the shadows to hold her in place while Rarity repeatedly punched and kicked the dark alicorn right in the face.

“ENOUGH!” She emitted another blast of starlight, though the blow was softened by shields from Fluttershy and Dusk. “I will suffer no further… nggh!”

Twilight had used the time they’d brought her well and increased the power of her spell. It looked like she was giving Nightmare Moon more energy than she could handle and the alicorn was feeling the strain. The orb containing her was flickering, a stream of lilac and blue aura pushing against Nightmare’s draining darkness.

Moments later, the orb burst and Twilight started to fall. Rainbow was already moving and caught her in a second. Nightmare Moon was sent reeling from the burst of energy, knocking her to the ground. It looked like she was down for the moment, but not permanently. Still, it brought them a reprieve and a chance for Rainbow to bring Twilight safely down to earth.

“I wasn’t sure if that would work,” she said weakly. The Element of Magic was still atop her head. “Good work, everypony. Thanks for keeping her attention.”

“Happy to help, darling though I think our stallion here should be commended for seeing what you were up to,” noted Rarity.

“I had a feeling he might have.” Her eyes turned to him. “Hello, Dusk.”

“T-Twilight…” The last time he’d seen her, she looked like she hated him. Now, it was like there was nopony in the world she’d rather see. “I… I’m glad you’re okay.”

“You too. You look so… so different,” she murmured. “Like the day you first came to Ponyville. When we first became friends.”

“So… it’s true?” he dared to ask. “W-We’re really friends?”

“And so much more,” she answered with a nod. “I’m so sorry for what you’ve been through. But you’re not alone. Not anymore.”

There was no lie in her voice or her eyes. This wasn’t some ridiculous fantasy or unbidden memory of a future time. This was real. This was here and now. She cared for him and he cared for her. More than that, they both… no, it had be said.

“I love you, Twilight Sparkle.”

“And I love you, Dusk Noir.”

The distance between them closed and their lips met. Suddenly, it didn’t matter if the world had ended, that he had failed. Because he was with her. With all of them. They would fix this and they would do it together.

The glow near Dusk’s chest reached a climax and lifted him off the ground when the kiss ended. Seven jewels winked into existence, circling around each other before zooming towards the glow. Memories and feelings flowed into him, though they were not intrusive this time. It felt more like waking up from a very strange dream.

When the glow died down, Dusk looked to see the result. A shining necklace of silver had been embedded with the jewels. The same pattern had also replaced the scroll on his flank.

And he grinned.

“Well, looks like everything’s in order,” he declared.

“Sure looks like it!” Pinkie crushed him in a hug. “Welcome back, Dusky! Missed you.”

“But Pinkie, I never went away.” He spun her around and set her down. “I just needed a bit of a kick in the flank.”

“To say the least.” Twilight kissed him briefly before looking sorrowful. “Dusk, I just… I wanted to say-“

“It can wait, Twilight. I have some things to say as well. But right now,” he said, looking across at their enemy, “we have a loose end that needs tying up.”

“No! NO!” Nightmare Moon glared with the intensity of a thousand stars. “I will destroy you!”

She took off, rending chunks of rock and earth from the ground beneath. Storm clouds gathered about her, thunder and lightning flashed. Meteors spun about her head, ready to rain down upon them.

“Wow, she’s trying really hard to make herself look scary,” said Pinkie, snorting. “I mean, way too hard.”

“I almost feel a little sorry for her,” said Fluttershy. “All this, just because she didn’t feel appreciated enough and now she’s just making so much noise to be noticed.”

“I know what you mean,” said Rarity. “Like a filly throwing a tantrum.”

“How many fillies you know that can call down stars an’ lightinin’?” asked Applejack.

“Right now, only one and I’d say she needs a timeout,” said Rainbow.

“This should be interesting. I was only lurking in the background when you all fought her the first time.” He frowned. “Doesn’t sound good when you say it like that.”

“Not really,” said Twilight. “But you’re with us now, so how about we go and show her what that really means?”

“I couldn’t agree more. By your leave, Miss Sparkle,” he said.

She nodded. “Alright everypony! Let’s stop her, for good this time!”

Dusk channelled his magic to Rarity and Fluttershy, lifting them on a white cloud whilst protecting them with a shield. It withstood the initial lightning strikes, but started to buckle when the meteors came down.

“I got it!” Pinkie’s Element flashed and pink spots appeared along the meteors. “Go, go, go!”

Rarity changed their course. They all had to hold on as they bounced off them, zooming closer to their target. Then, a much larger rock came straight at them, too big for them to avoid and too close for them to change course.

“Rainbow, soften it up right there!” commanded Twilight. “Applejack, Dusk! When I say now, split it wide open!”

Fluttershy dropped the shield, allowing Rainbow to send a hail of pellets into the meteor’s centre. It chipped away at the surface, causing cracks form from the point and spreading out. Applejack and Dusk moved to the head, with Pinkie causing pink platforms to appear under their hooves.

When Twilight yelled ‘now’, they bounced towards it and their hooves flashed orange. With their combined strength, the rock split into two halves and fell away. Another hail of meteors came at them, but a rainbow streak shot past them. The meteors were destroyed when a shockwave of coloured light reduced them to dust.

“Did you guys see that?!” Rainbow cheered as she re-joined them from behind. “We are awesome!”

“Dusk?” Twilight gave him a look. “Mind helping me lift something?”

“Ah, the real reason you keep me around,” he chuckled.

Joining his magic with hers, they lifted the two massive halves of the meteor above them. Their brows sweating and their minds pushed to their limit, they hurled the two halves right back where they came from. Nightmare Moon, panicking, desperately flew above them but was still struck by dozens of debris chunks and robbing her of her protective circle.

Her expression was one of sheer fury. The shriek she let out was enough to shake mountains.

“You… you… you… YOU! You horrid little ponies!”

But her rage did nothing to stop their charge. Lightning and shadow erupted all around them, but they didn’t slow down. The power of the Elements was surging through them. They all looked at one another, united in purpose. In friendship.

They were ready.

“Unlimited friendship!” Dusk cried.

One by one, the ponies moved into position in a floating circle. As they did, they called out the name of their respective Element.

“Honesty!”

“Kindness!”

“Laughter!”

“Generosity!”

“Loyalty!”

“Unity!”

“Magic!”

Dusk took his place in the centre of the circle, while Twilight floated ahead of him. The rainbow stream of the surrounding elements flowed into Unity and channelled into Magic as their energy was refined and focused.

“Final friendship beam!”

The power of the Elements coalesced together, blasting right at Nightmare Moon. With one last cry, she was consumed by the energy and all they could see was a single, all-consuming beam of rainbow brightness…


When Dusk blearily opened his eyes, he could feel something soft beneath him. He realised it was his couch. He was… in his home. In Ponyville. And he wasn’t alone.

“Dusk? Dusk!” Something green latched onto him. “Oh, you have no idea how good it is to see your eyes open and not full of weird magic!”

“Ray?” He managed to return the stallion’s hug. “Does this mean you’ve been watching me sleep?”

“Shut up, your mother and I have been worried sick,” he quipped, though the relief on his face was genuine. “So, I guess they did it.”

“It seems so. Though I’m not entirely sure what ‘it’ was,” he said.

“Yeah, it’s been a really weird day. I mean, weirder than they usually are,” said Spike. “Actually, is it weird if it’s also just the usual?”

“You’d think so, but no.” Dusk pulled him in for a hug too. “Have you been worried too, Spike?”

“Yeah, but not as much as him,” he replied, gesturing at Ray. “You should have heard the sorts of promises he was making to try and get you to snap out of it.”

“Hey, I’m not the one who was pacing up and down the floor!”

“Can you guys maybe keep it down?” Rainbow shook her head, looking groggy. “My head hurts enough as is.”

“This must be that famed ‘stallion bonding’ I’ve heard so much about,” said Rarity, patting down her mane. “Rather a peculiar sight.”

“Hey, don’t knock it.” Ray grinned around at them all. “What in the hay happened while you were all out?”

“I’d say you probably won’t believe us,” said Fluttershy. “But knowing you, I think you probably would.”

“Yeah, probably.” Ray nodded, then did a double take. “Hey, what’s that meant to mean?”

“It means you’re a silly goof, but it makes me smile,” she said and nuzzled his cheek. “Thanks for looking after us all, Ray.”

“Heh, no problem, Flutters,” he murmured. “I don’t think I did all that much.”

“Eh, you stuck by Dusk and all of us when it counted. Always have.” Rainbow glanced about. “Hey, Ray? We’re cool.”

He blinked. “We are? I didn’t realise that we… oh. You mean with-?”

“Yep and that’s all that needs to be said.” She punched his shoulder lightly. “We’re cool.”

“Okay then.”

He smiled gratefully at her and she returned it. But Dusk’s attention turned to Twilight. Everypony seemed to sense what was happening and Applejack gestured to the door. They all filed quietly out, leaving the unicorns alone.

At first, neither of them said anything. Dusk moved along the couch and patted the space next to him. Twilight took it. He didn’t push her or prompt her, just waited. Gradually, she told him all that transpired and the cause of what had happened. Dusk didn’t interrupt or speak, only listened.

“… and I’m really, really sorry, Dusk. I don’t know if you remember all that happened during your… your episode. I really had no idea what that spell would do, but that isn’t an excuse. I should have been more careful and… I’m sorry.”

Silence fell again between them. Twilight looked anxiously at him. He took a bit of time, deciding what to say first.

“I do remember,” he said at last. “And it’s okay. It was an accident, Twilight. I don’t blame you, not one bit. Besides, I think it might have done me some good, in a strange sort of way.”

“It did?”

“I think so, which brings me to what I want to say.” He took a deep breath and looked at her. “Twilight, when I first started out I… I really wasn’t the best of ponies. I mean, I spent ten years looking at you from afar, but never actually talking to you. Not really the sort of behaviour a well-adjusted pony engages in.”

“Yeah, that doesn’t sound great,” she agreed. “But then, you definitely weren’t the most well-adjusted of ponies.”

“Coming from you?” They both laughed a little. “But you’re right. Quite frankly, I’m lucky you didn’t call me out for the self-deprecating, pathetic little creep I was. I know I’ve said this many times before, but I am sorry for the difficulties I’ve caused, indirectly or otherwise. I’m not that pony anymore. At least, I don’t think I am…”

“No, you’re not and for the record Dusk? You’re being too hard on yourself. I mean, yes, the whole watching-from-afar thing isn’t something you should be doing again with anypony. I mean, ever,” she added with emphasis.

“On this, we’re certainly agreed.”

“But aside from that,” she went on, “even back then, there was still a lot to admire. The way you care, how you always tried to help out me and our friends, the fact you were willing to learn and improve. We all have things we look back on and cringe at, Dusk, especially when we were young. I know it feels like you want to take that stuff and pull it right out of your head. But without it, how would ever know how far we’ve come since then? How much we’ve grown and changed. I liked the pony you were then, even despite all that and I definitely like the pony you are now.”

“Y-You do?”

“I do.” She booped his nose. “And I can’t wait to see the pony you end up becoming.”

She paused. She looked like she wanted to add something else, then suddenly blushed and closed her mouth. Dusk waited, tempted to ask her if there was anything she wanted to say. But he decided not to. They’d both been through a very draining time of it and right now, he was just happy it had reached some kind of conclusion.

“Thank you, Twilight. I feel the same way about you,” he said. “Though I can’t help but wonder what that original spell was meant to do.”

“I can’t say I know either, but it’s a good thing we fixed it. Now come on, we’d better go and see the others. Oh, don’t forget this!” She levitated his hat to him. He looked at it, then gently pushed it away. “Is something wrong?”

“Not wrong, no.” He took it from her, turning it over in his hooves. “When I first picked this out, it was from a desire to be… different, I suppose. I felt different from who I used to be, so I wanted to show that off, separate myself from that pony. But really, I don’t think I ever needed to. Not anymore, at least. Besides, my current accessory is quite garish enough.”

He gestured to the Element of Unity, still around his neck and Twilight giggled.

“Well, if you say so,” she said. “For the record, you do look more handsome without it. Even with that scruffy mane of yours.”

“Hey, the scruff is part of the appeal,” he argued. “Even you pretty much admitted it.”

“I’m not saying anything. Now come on, you dork.”

She led him outside, where everypony gathered around. If they had any thoughts on Dusk’s lack of hat, they didn’t comment on it.

“I take it those smiles mean you haven’t broken up?” asked Ray.

Twilight stared at him. “What? Why would you even think that?”

“Hey, need to account for all possibilities. Glad you didn’t though. I’d hate to lose out on Dusklight,” he said.

“Ugh, I still can’t believe you’re saying that sincerely,” groaned Rainbow.

“Ya feelin’ better then?” asked Applejack.

“Much, though there is one last thing I want to address. Twilight? I want to perform that spell Celestia gave us.”

“Which one? Oh.” She saw the look on his face. “What’s he done now?”

“That’s what I want to speak with him about.”

With expressions ranging from grim to apprehensive, they arranged themselves in a circle. Calling upon the Elements once more, they tapped deep into a realm which held no meaning and brooked no master, other than its sole occupant.

When the Element’s magic died down, there he stood. He was dressed up in a patchwork suit and appeared to be in mid-conversation.

“And so anyway, I says to Mabel, I says…” Discord trailed off when he realised where he was. “Oh, hello there everypony! Correct me if I’m wrong, but I do believe it was Dusk who told me you have to give your friends a heads-up before you have them over. I was actually in the middle of a little soiree, you know.”

“Please, like anyone would spend time with you,” said Rainbow.

“I do have a life outside you ponies, you know.” He snapped his fingers and his evening wear vanished. “But since I’m here, what can I do for you? Is there a friendship problem that needs my help? I’m honoured, truly.”

“In a manner of speaking.” Dusk stepped up to him. “I’m surprised you didn’t realise the bout of chaos we’ve been having today, Discord.”

He raised his eyebrows. “Oh indeed? Well, I might have felt a little twinge of something but really, the lot of you generate such low-level chaos as it stands that I tend to just tune it out. Was there anything fun?”

“Depends on your definition,” said Dusk. “You see, I became trapped in something of a self-made dream. One which saw Equestria doomed to eternal night because of my mistakes. And it’s the oddest thing, Discord. You were in it, even though you were very much still trapped in stone when it took place. You seemed to find my predicament very funny.”

The spirit of chaos smirked. “Indeed? That is most peculiar.”

“You happened to say a few things in passing.” He looked him in his mismatched eyes. “That I rely on other ponies to fix my problems. That I displayed creepy, obsessive behaviour. That when it comes down to it, I’m nothing all that special.”

“Discord.” Fluttershy appeared next to him, a harsh glare in her eye. “Is all that true?”

“Well…” Suddenly, the draconequus didn’t look so self-assured. “Who’s to really say? Dreams are such odd things.” He tried a smile. The glare didn’t relent. “I mean, come now, would I really do a thing like that?” He smiled wider. The glare didn’t relent. “Fluttershy, please. There’s… there’s no need for such…” Sweat poured down his neck in buckets. Literally tiny buckets that dropped to the floor with a clank. “Oh fine! I admit it! I may have taken the opportunity for a bit of fun, but I wasn’t lying! It wasn’t my fault what happened to you. For that, you need only look to-“

“Twilight? Yes, I’m well aware,” said Dusk. “Apparently, it was all an accident and has now been rectified.”

“How come ya didn’t say anythin’ about this earlier?” asked Applejack.

“Because then it would have been too easy to just blame him, when in all honesty…” Dusk sighed. “He was right.”

“You see? Right away, blame poor Discord for…” He blinked a few times as he processed Dusk’s words. “Come again?”

“You were right, Discord. It’s fair to say I had a lot of issues, before I met these ponies. There was a lot I had to learn. About friendship, about myself. Even now, I’m still learning and always will be. Sometimes, it helps to have a friend to throw those things into sharp focus. Life won’t coddle you when it comes to the truth and it’s good to have a friend to remind you not to be too complacent and comfortable in that regard.” He held out his hoof. “So, thank you.”

Discord stared Dusk’s hoof like it had started tap dancing in a little top hat.

“You… you consider me a friend?” he repeated quietly.

Dusk nodded. “In a strange way, yes. But then again, what better way is there to consider the Lord of Chaos?”

“Yes, well.” Discord looked like he didn’t quite know what to do with himself. In the end, he shook Dusk’s hoof. He didn’t even use a joy buzzer. “Happy to have helped, Dusk.”

The tiniest of smile tugged at the spirit’s lips which Dusk returned.

“Having said that,” he went on, “you still laughed at my misfortune and decided to twist the knife in when I was at my lowest.”

“Ah.” He swiftly let go and looked the other way. “Yes well, I… I suppose.”

“Oh no you don’t, mister,” said Fluttershy sternly. “You’re not brushing this under the rug. Just before, you even said yourself you only did it for a bit of fun. If you want to be a good friend, Discord, you shouldn’t be so nasty about it or find it funny. Now, apologise to him.”

“Yes, yes of course.” He plastered on a shaky smile and hanged his head. “I’m sorry for my behaviour, Dusk. I promise the next time you find yourself stuck in an alternate dream world, I won’t take anywhere near as much entertainment in it.”

Dusk chuckled. “Good to know. Apology accepted, Discord.”

“Good. Now, you,” said Fluttershy, pointing at Discord, “I want you to go away and think about what you’ve done.”

He snapped to frightened attention. “Yes ma’am. Are we… still on for tea later?”

Fluttershy raised an eyebrow. “I’ll think about it.”

With one last attempt at an easy grin, Discord vanished. Fluttershy nodded in satisfaction and turned to see Ray, staring open mouthed.

“What?” she asked.

“You… you just sent a reality bending chaos spirit to bed without his supper.”

She blushed at the admiration in his voice. “O-Oh. I suppose I did.”

“Will you marry me? I-I mean!” Ray flushed heavily. “N-Not actually marry, of course! Way too early for that, you know? Wait, wait, that’s not actually what I-“

She silenced him by hovering over and kissing him briefly on the lips.

“You silly goof,” she giggled.

“Dating a pony with a demon in his head and telling off Discord.” Rainbow snickered. “Remember when Fluttershy used to be scared of her own shadow?”

“Well, we’ve all changed a great deal from who we used to be. I’m not the only one and for that, I want to thank all of you.” Dusk looked around at them. “Over a year ago, I never would have thought I’d have such a great group of friends. You didn’t have to accept me into your lives, but you did and I’ll be forever grateful for it. I love you all, truly and sincerely.”

“Aww, you big softie!” Pinkie hugged him. “We love you too.”

“We do,” said Fluttershy. “We’re glad you’re with us too, Dusk.”

“And I’m glad you let me tag along for the ride,” added Ray. “Not many ponies would have done that, considering… well…”

Rarity sniffed. “Well, even a ruffian like you has some redeeming qualities.”

“Thanks snob.”

“Yeah, we did it!” cheered Spike. “The Elements are restored and you’re all back to normal. I’d call that a pretty good day.”

“I have to admit, I do feel rather invigorated. In fact,” Dusk felt his smile growing, “I feel like indulging in something I haven’t done for a while. That is, unless Ray objects?”

Ray chuckled. “Well, you know how I feel about the whole ‘singing’ thing. But if it makes you happy, you go right ahead, buddy.”

Dusk felt his smile widen as it felt like music was surging through his very being. With his friends galloping alongside him, they took off towards Ponyville. The power of the Elements surged through them, allowing him and Twilight to levitate them all with their magic. At the same time, Dusk cast ribbons and streams of his colours, creating a spectacle for anypony who saw it. Dusk let the song welling up inside him be known to all.

A sky with stars so bright
The colours feel so right!
I’ve never felt like this,
I’ll keep on running

A sky with stars so bright
The colours feel so right!
Just take my hoof,
We’re gonna reach for the stars

Tonight!

He waved and smiled at ponies who were out and about. Lyra and Bon-Bon, out for a stroll. Derpy Hooves, delivering her mail and beaming away. The Mayor out on official business. Octavia and Vinyl, practicing out in their yard. Frequency Stream was with them too, the wind whistling through his wings. Gentle Dream was painting the town square, outside her shop. Mr and Mrs Cake, peering out the window of Sugarcube Corner while placing pies on the windowsill.

They soared towards Sweet Apple Acres. Nightfall emerged from his observatory with Shimmer, waving when they flew by. Zecora was gathering herbs in a field, watching on with a smile. Big Mac paused from bucking apples to nod towards them. Granny Smith was woken suddenly from her nap, but she hooted and cheered at the sight like a mare thirty years younger. The Crusaders hurried along beneath and they came down, to let siblings and idolisers embrace the ponies they knew.

Embracing the adventurous spirit coursing through them, Twilight teleported them above the town of Appleloosa. The townsfolk, Braeburn included, called out with joy. The buffalo herd was stampeding nearby and Little Strongheart laughed in happy surprise, letting them gallop with them for a fashion before flying off. Another teleport and they were on the Badlands outskirts. From his camp, Phoenix Wing gazed in wonder at their passing. Dusk even spied the pack of diamond dogs, hauling away some gems. Spot, Fido and Rover stared openly, caught between apprehension and interest.

They teleported again to Canterlot. Dusk glimpsed his parents, Chord and Abacus Noir out at a café. Even his father seemed to smile brighter at seeing his son, flying so free. Further along were Twilight’s parents, Night Light and Twilight Velvet. The former whooped for his daughter while the latter urged them to be careful, though with a smile. Prim Proper and Mirror Shine toured the School grounds with Jock and Muscles, staring in silent amazement. Fancypants, hosting a little party, raised a glass to them.

They flew towards the Palace. Sombra spotted them flying by his room, bemused but pleasantly so. Cadence and Shining looked to be visiting from the Empire, along with Trixie and Doom. Shining stomped his hooves and grinned, while Cadence took off to join them in their flight. She and Twilight nuzzled, while she winked at Dusk before banking back to her husband. The showpony sent a few fireworks their way with a wave while Dusk’s former dark side rolled his eyes.

Celestia and Luna, curious at the noise, came out onto a balcony. The Princess of the Sun radiated pride in her smile at the sight, while the Princess of the Moon laughed with joy. They spread their wings and joined them in the air, royal dignity temporarily forgotten. They circled around, Dusk twirling his colours about them before landing again, waving them off as they soared back to Ponyville. On their way back, they passed Gilda in the company of Singer. The two had been in conversation and were quite surprised at their passing.

Ray and Spike caught up with them on the road back to town. Dusk placed his forelegs around them, bringing them in for an embrace and taking them up as their impromptu flight came to an end. Ray noogied him and Spike gave him a fistbump. The whole town came out to see them land and cheered when Dusk sent out a final wave of colours

Just take my hoof
We'll take a chance tonight!
Reach for the stars
Tonight...!

“Worth it?” Ray asked when the glow of the Elements faded.

“Worth it,” replied Dusk. “Twilight? Is something the matter?”

Twilight didn’t reply at first, deep in thought “A mark of one's destiny, singled out alone, fulfilled…” She suddenly gasped “Wait a second, that's it! I understand now! I know how to fix the spell!”

They followed her back to the library as the sun began to set, where she pulled out a very old looking book. Starswirl’s unfinished spell. Levitating a quill over, she dipped it in ink and spoke as she wrote the modified incantation.

From all of us together, together we're friends. With the marks of our destinies made one, there is magic without end!”

She ended it with a full stop. Overcome with pride for her, Dusk was about to offer his congratulations.

Until the Element of Magic began to glow. Twilight looked at it in confusion. The other Elements reacted as well, blasting streams of magical energy in the colour of their jewels. Dusk’s was a multi-coloured wave, encompassing Twilight in a blindingly white ball of light. The power built and built until it exploded in a blinding flash.

When it faded, all that was left of Twilight was a single, smoking black stain on the floor of the library.

“Uh, guys?” Ray asked over the growing commotion. “Did… did you just disintegrate Twilight?”

Author's Note:

The song referenced is Reach for the Stars from Sonic Colours.

There will be no shorter chapter this week. The next chapter will be on Friday 28th October. See you then!