• Published 30th Mar 2013
  • 3,653 Views, 56 Comments

We Apples, Three - 8686



Big Macintosh only has one job - to take care of his family. Everything he's ever done has been in service of that. So what is he supposed to do when he feels that, maybe, his job is nearly finished?

  • ...
2
 56
 3,653

Epilogue

"I did not!"

"Yes you did Rainbow Dash, and don't try to deny it! You blabbed about my novel after you promised not to tell!"

"I didn't blab about anything! I mentioned it once! As an example!"

"Oh yeah? An example of what? How dumb ponies can be sometimes I'll bet!"

"No..." Rainbow Dash allowed herself to float back to the ground. She kept her wings flared though, in case she had to make a quick exit after all. "Scoots was looking kinda down that day. She was frustrated about flying or cutie-marks or whatever, so I said 'Hey squirt, you can do anything you set your mind to. And you can be good at whatever you want to be good at.'"

Applejack eyed her suspiciously. Rainbow Dash groaned in exasperation.

"Look, I was trying to tell her one of those life lesson type things, you know, like you're always doing with your sister. I'm just...not as good at that stuff, so I said 'Y'know, like AJ, she's writing a novel.' That was it! I even said it was good!"

"Oh, Really?" Disbelief reigned in Applejack's tone.

"Yes! Obviously not Rainbow Dash good, but still pretty awesome. Besides, your book's full of stuff like that. I figured you'd understand."

"So you did read it?"

"Yeah yeah, okay, I read your book, you read my book, yadda-yadda-yadda group hug." She looked seriously at Applejack. "Look...are we cool?"

Applejack gave a small grin. Giving Dash a hard time was always fun, but she decided to show mercy. She'd heard more than enough to forgive her, and for once Dash looked genuinely worried that she'd upset her.

"We're cool RD. Just don't go mentionin' it to nopony else for a while though, huh?"

Rainbow Dash breathed a sigh of relief. "You got it. Uh...so now are you gonna tell me why you have lots of pink and grey fluff in your mane?"

"Oh, Big Macintosh rescued me from a snake," she teased. Dash would go crazy trying to figure it out. "Speakin’ of which, we’re spendin’ the rest of the day together in town so I gotta run. Catch ya later," she called over her shoulder as she quickly trotted off, leaving Dash with an expression of confused concentration that was just priceless.

---

"What's this, sis?" Apple Bloom studied the paper bag handed to her. She looked up at Applejack, as if waiting for permission to open it.

"Well, I keep thinkin' about that night at the lake. It still don't sit right with me that I got angry at ya'll, especially over somethin' so silly as a book. So...there you go. They say ya should write about what you know anyway."

Apple Bloom looked apprehensive. She had after all promised never to read it.

"It's okay. Go on."

With trepidation, Apple Bloom carefully extracted from the bag a brown leather-bound notebook. She studied the cover, reading the red lettering written in her sister's familiar scrawl.

A Tale of Two Sisters,
By Applejack

"It ain't finished yet though, so don't go gettin' disappointed."

Apple Bloom simply clutched the book and held it close. She looked back up at Applejack.

"That's ok, sis. I think I can guess how it ends."

Comments ( 27 )

If it's the South Korean thriller A Tale of Two Sisters, it'll end pretty damn tragic! :derpytongue2: But I'm guessing it's a story about Applejack and Apple Bloom, so it should be alright. :ajsmug:

Just finished the whole thing, and really enjoyed it. I've always liked Big Mac stories, and this is definitely one of the finest ones I've read in quite a while.

This story is one of the best things I've seen on this site for quite some time.
Bravo!

Just read the whole damn thing in one go.
Ah, feels so refreshing to read a all-around well writen,f rom both a technical and a creative point of view, and cute slice of lifey story, and about the apple siblings no less.
10/10 :ajsmug::eeyup:
I can safely say this is one of my all times favorite and I thank you for it.

Aw... If only I could give it fifty more upvotes!

JBL

This was *cue Mr. Burns voice* eeeeexcellent!

AJ
AJ #7 · Nov 18th, 2013 · · ·

To 8686:

Whoever you are, you are what some people call a hidden gem, a diamond in the rough, a light amidst darkness. I read very little on fimfiction, mostly because almost everything is either incredibly out of character and/or incredibly off tune with the simplicity and innocence the show radiates. Your work is not among those. It's true to the Magic of Friendship :pinkiesmile:

3507757 Well excuse me! I was mainly going by how my word document underlines realize when it's spelled with an s. What do you care anyway? You're not even the writer. And no I'm not from the UK, I'm from West Virginia. Not that I'm always the best speller either, I was just trying to be helpful to the writer (not aware of s being a proper spelling with realize). If you write realize with an s on here it underlines it as a misspell too, so I wasn't technically wrong.

Just beautiful.:twilightsmile: Coming from a family of three younger siblings, there was a lot that resonated with me in this fic. Five out five, thumbs up, and faved.

Jesus christ I didn't even read this story and already it's a feels trip. As a brother that has two sisters,(and a little bro) good shit, bro.

Now that was good.

A friend of mine linked me this today, and for the first time in over a year, I sat down and read a pony fanfic(had to remember my friggin password to this site), and I am beyond glad he did.

Coming in already with a love for these three characters, I was pleasantly surprised with how well you handled the characterization. It was incredibly fun to read, and in the end it had warmed my cold, nearly dead heart just a tad. And aside from the very few, countable on one hand really, errors I noticed (I can point them out of you wish to correct them), the story is exceptionally well written from beginning to end.

Thank you for writing this, honestly. I really needed a kick back into reading, and this certainly helped! I'll be sure to recommend it to others.

Just finished reading this. It was very sweet. It's funny too, because I just recently got caught up on "Keeping it Simple" which is telling kind of the same story about Big Mac wanting to feel needed, and yet you've done it complete in 16k words, while that one is as 200k and still going. :twilightsmile: Anyway, I really liked this. Nicely done.

This was a delightful read.

Thank you for writing this. :heart:

That was great!

I gotta say, it really hit me in the feels. I was kind of surprised it did it so hard! Those simple interactions between siblings acutally carried a lot more emotional weight than some of the over-the-top deaths in Tragedy tagged fics:twilightsheepish:
That scene with Apple Bloom in the brambles! Aww!

You wrote a cute, believable, heartwarming story, and I really hope it gets more views and likes:eeyup:

I accidentally thumbed this up on the first chapter, thinking that was it. Imagine mah surprise when there were four more sitting in my favorites!

And now it's even more worthy of the thumb. :moustache:

5145486
I only relatively recently became aware that, 'McIntosh' is the preferred, more canon spelling. I actually prefer to write 'Macintosh'. because to my ears, reading 'McIntosh' puts the emphasis on the second syllable (Mc-IN-tosh) whereas we all know it falls on the first.

I worry about details like this more than I should.

I have no idea how this happened, but I completely missed that this existed back when I read the story. I really don't know how I missed this. I'm horribly, deeply confused.

Anywho, that's a real nice book AJ has there. Quite the way to wrap up the story.


5148812
On top of missing the Epilogue, Fimfiction never notified me of your reply here. One day, Fimfiction. One day.


I definitely agree with why you prefer Macintosh.

Amazing work. You have a strong grasp of the characters that pulls the reader in with the simple interactions, without any need for over the top dramatics or life-endangering perils or hammy villains. Simple and sweet and touching and real and honest, just like the family the fic portrays. Thank you very much for sharing this!

A very entertaining story.

Thank you for posting.

This is one of the most adorable stories I've ever read. It didn't have much of a plot, but it didn't need one. It's the characters and their relationships that shine here. I really felt for Big Mac, thinking his sisters didn't need him anymore. I'm glad AJ made him feel appreciated.

I forgot to mention this in my review for BBBFFBR, but I love the way you write the country accent - there's just enough of a hint so you know it's there, but not so much that it's distracting (like in 90% of FIMfics).

I know I just commented two other of your fics but this story is just amazing and I just wanted to point that out. With love.

Perfection, as usual. I need to stop reading so much of your work at once, because I can't help but comment on how well it captures the tone of the show, the character interactions, and the love that's evident in every chapter.

Oh!!! This is the perfect ending to a perfect story, so cute and fluffy and full of feels!!!

Login or register to comment