• Published 30th Mar 2013
  • 3,651 Views, 56 Comments

We Apples, Three - 8686



Big Macintosh only has one job - to take care of his family. Everything he's ever done has been in service of that. So what is he supposed to do when he feels that, maybe, his job is nearly finished?

  • ...
2
 56
 3,651

Chapter 1

We Apples, Three

The autumn sun was halfway toward the horizon when the sound of hooves on wood finally ceased. Pausing for an instant after her final kick, Applejack was rewarded with the familiar sight of dozens of apples raining down neatly into her carefully placed baskets. Peering upward, she satisfied herself that there were no stragglers high in the boughs and gave a contented nod before setting to gathering up the few wayward apples that had made it all the way to the ground.

A quiet rumble heralded the return of Big Macintosh with the cart, ready to help load the final half-dozen baskets and haul them back to the barn. Applejack looked up and gave a warm smile as he pulled up next to her. She pulled her hat a little lower on her head to shield her eyes from the ever-descending sun, and without ceremony began hoisting the baskets onto the flatbed. Macintosh, unhitching himself, did the same. It was the work of a few minutes, carried out quietly and with the efficiency of a routine long since perfected. Once they were all loaded, Applejack and Big Macintosh shared a look at the final tree to give up its bounty, gave each other a satisfied nod, and that was that.

Applebuck season at Sweet Apple Acres was over for another year.

Re-hitching himself into the cart, Big Macintosh began pulling the final load of cargo back in the direction of the farmhouse. Applejack fell in alongside, but found her gait a little slower than usual. Her legs felt heavy and it was a little too much effort to hold her head up. Both she and Mac had done their fair share of bucking of course, but for whatever reason the last couple of days seemed to have really taken the wind out of her. Noticing his sister falling behind, Macintosh slowed his pace and glanced back over his shoulder.

"Y'can ride on if ya want," he said, nodding towards the cart.

"Nah, I'm alright."

"Ya look tired."

"I said I'm fine. I could buck another hundred trees if needs be!"

Shaking his head, but smiling all the same, Big Macintosh settled for slowing his pace to match his sister. She still had a stubborn streak, he mused, even if it wasn't quite as wide as it used to be.

They ambled homeward in comfortable silence through the rows of now-fruitless apple trees in the south field. As they walked the shadows slowly lengthened and by the time they reached the farmhouse the sun was just touching the horizon beneath a perfectly cloudless sky. A cool breeze stirred occasionally, promising that the warm evening would be followed by a chilly night.

The apples were quickly stored in the cellar and the cart and buckets put away, leaving Applejack and Big Macintosh together outside with one final task to tend to before the season was closed off for good.

A little way away from the homestead stood the only apple tree still bearing its apples. Known as the Grandfather Tree, it had been the first apple tree that Granny Smith's family had planted when they'd settled the land. In the early years it had grown by far the fastest and borne the most apples. It had effectively sustained the growing family during those initial, lean harvests and now it was the oldest, largest and ugliest apple tree on the farm. Almost as tall as the barn, its trunk was three feet thick, gnarled and twisted. It sprouted long thick branches, irregular and unruly and, to the extent that a tree could sustain a character, it presented an air of 'grumpiness.'

One who had done his duty, but whose pesky kids wouldn't let him retire in peace. 'Grandfather'.

It had become tradition to harvest the apples from the Grandfather Tree last of all every season. The seeds of Grandfather Tree's apples would be collected and when the time eventually came, would be used to expand the orchard with fresh saplings. Every tree on the farm could trace its lineage back to Grandfather, and through it to the founding of Ponyville itself.

And ever since Applejack had been old enough to buck, it had become the source of an annual competition between her and her older brother.

The rules were simple. Each contestant took turns to buck the tree, and victory was awarded to the pony whose kick ultimately caused the final apple or apples to fall from Grandfather's clutches. The catch was that unlike his well-behaved children out in the fields, the Grandfather Tree was famously stubborn and did not give up his apples at all easily. His thick, twisted and heavily knotted trunk made making a good buck difficult, and it required considerable effort and skill to get the tree to release any of his bounty.

As for the stake in the competition, that changed every season.

"So, whaddya reckon this year Big Mac? Maybe days doing chores?" Applejack said as they approached the hallowed ground.

"Apple pies?" Big Macintosh suggested hopefully, earning a derisive snort from his sibling. That had been the prize last year, and even then AJ had described it as 'uninspiring'.

"Come on Big Mac, think bigger," she said, a cocky gleam in her eye. "I got a good feelin' about my chances this year." She turned to stare up at the old tree. "How 'bout cartloads of firewood?"

Big Mac mulled that over. Heading outside on a freezing winter's night to fetch a fresh cart of logs for the hearth was a necessary, but never pleasant task. It'd be nice not to have to do it for a while once the nights started closing in. He glanced back over at Applejack...and imagined her trudging through belly-high snow in the pitch dark, struggling to haul the heavy cart laden with logs from the wood store. Then he thought of himself inside, warm and dry, and sighed inwardly. This was a problem every year – agreeing to a prize that he could live with if he won. Apple pies had been a brilliant suggestion! He was about to shake his head in disagreement, but Applejack met his gaze. She was wearing that determined smile of hers that brooked no argument. Stubborn. Big Mac simply sighed and nodded. Arguing would take all day and get him nowhere. He couldn't come up with a better suggestion, and there were worse alternatives, after all.

"Carts of wood." Brother and sister both spat on a forehoof, and shook on it. Applejack grinned.

As the reigning champion from the previous year, Big Macintosh regarded the tree first. He examined it carefully, sizing it up. The Grandfather Tree never gave up all his apples on the first kick, even for a pony as strong as him, so it became a question of strategy. Kicking too hard might cause too many apples to fall at once and the advantage would likely fall to his opponent. Not kicking hard enough meant it might be that no apples fell at all, and his adversary would get an extra turn next round. On the few occasions that had happened in previous years, it had proven decisive.

Satisfied he'd found a good place to begin, Mac readied himself in front of the trunk and kicked. A satisfying thud followed as hooves struck bark, a dozen apples raining down around him. Gazing up at the tree he gave a small smile. Still far too many apples up there to buck in one go. He might have misgivings about the stake this year, but he would never try to lose on purpose. He respected his sister too much for that.

Applejack, never one for the subtle approach, simply walked up to the tree, found her favourite spot on the trunk – a small flat indentation the size of a dinner plate – planted her hooves, and let fly.

Turns were exchanged, apples were felled and little by little the Grandfather Tree was robbed of his fruit. The rounds continued until Big Macintosh mistakenly bucked too forcefully, leaving only six or seven apples that he could see dangling among the loftier branches – easily few enough for his sister to win. He felt relieved actually, but kept his expression neutral.

Applejack sauntered confidently up to the trunk and in one swift motion turned and kicked out with as much force as she could muster. Even so, Big Macintosh couldn't help but feel her buck wasn't as strong as it should have been, and he noticed now that she looked more tired than she had earlier. Nevertheless even a fatigued Applejack was more than a match for the remaining apples which swiftly dropped to earth. Both ponies scanned the tree, searching for any rebellious fruit.

"Whaddya say Big Mac," Applejack said, her breathing a little heavier than normal. "I win?"

Reluctantly, Big Macintosh slowly shook his head. "Nope." Raising a forehoof he indicated two offending stragglers high in the tree, dangling defiantly from the same branch. The last two apples.

"Aw, ponyfeathers!"

Approaching the trunk, Big Macintosh prepared to put an end to proceedings and claim victory, when he was interrupted by a desperate wail from the direction of the farmhouse. It quickly grew louder, closer, until he could make out words.

"Wait! Applejack! You promised!"

Big Macintosh turned in time to see his youngest sister racing towards them like a mare possessed, and shouting as loud as her lungs would allow. Confused, he looked back to Applejack who was suddenly wearing an expression of shock and guilt.

A distraught Apple Bloom skidded to a stop before the two older ponies. Her countenance was a forlorn presentation of disappointment and her mouth hung open as though she wanted to say something, but the words inside were nowhere to be found.

For a moment, Applejack just stood there, stunned. Then, noticing Big Macintosh's confusion, she opened her mouth and forced herself to speak.

"I...made a promise to Apple Bloom that she could watch us buck Grandfather this year. I was gonna go get her after we were done out in the field," she said sourly. She turned back to her sister, but found she couldn't meet her gaze. "I'm so sorry AB. I just don't know how, but I guess I...I forgot." She almost choked on the final word. Applejack could only look at the ground, sheepishly rubbing one foreleg with the other. "I didn't mean to break my promise, sis." It was almost a plea.

For long moments, Big Macintosh could only look at both of his sisters standing there, avoiding each other's eyes.

Big Macintosh knew it to be a point of personal pride to his eldest sister that, when Applejack made you a promise, you could already consider it fulfilled. Now she thought she just had broken one to her own family. It wouldn't matter that it had been an honest mistake – likely due to her increasingly apparent exhaustion – she would blame herself anyway. It would take hours, if not days for Applejack to forgive herself, and until then she was going to be miserable.

He turned to Apple Bloom. The young filly originally crestfallen at not getting to be a part of something she'd been looking forward to for a week, but doubly upset now that she also realised she'd made her big sister feel bad. She hadn't meant to. She never would. He could see the beginnings of tears forming in her eyes as she too stared at the ground, eyes fixed on the same spot that seemed to hold Applejack's attention.

As for Big Macintosh himself...he thought he was simple enough. He had only ever had one job, and that was to take care of his family.

Taking a breath and drawing himself up, Big Macintosh walked over to his eldest sister, put a hoof gently on her withers and gave her a warm smile.

"Don't reckon you broke anythin', sis."

Quickly turning to his younger sister to forestall the question or, more likely, indignation he already knew threatened to spew forth from Applejack's mouth, he carried on, "Grandfather ain't all bucked out yet." He indicated the final two apples high in the branches.

Apple Bloom seemed less than placated.

"Two apples?" she said, "But I wanted to see..." she glanced at Applejack again and trailed off, the remaining words dying in her throat. She tried to look anywhere else, but all she could see were the scores of apples she'd already missed fall. It didn't help.

Unfazed, Macintosh continued, "Havin' a hard time gettin' those two, ain't we AJ? Reckon I'm a mite tired." He turned his lazy smile on Apple Bloom. "Y'wanna take my turn for me?"

Apple Bloom's eyes lit up. "You mean it? Really?"

"Eeyup."

"If I buck them two apples, does that mean I win the Prize?" She sounded more and more excited as she spoke, her despondent mood brightening like sunlight through breaking clouds. Big Macintosh simply nodded, still smiling.

"Eeyup."

Applejack, for her part, looked completely aghast. She was clearly trying to find some words somewhere but evidently there was currently some fault between her brain and her mouth.

Apple Bloom stared wistfully at the two apples high above her. "I could win the Grandfather Prize..." before coming back down to earth, "Uh, which is what this year exactly?"

She'd addressed her question to Applejack, but Big Macintosh broke in before she could ruin the moment with the truth. "A big apple pie. Just for you. No sharing." He winked at her and she giggled.

Fixing her face with a determined grin, Apple Bloom approached the Grandfather Tree in predatory fashion. She found a good spot on the trunk between two large knots and at just the right height for her. She turned, squared herself, planted her hooves, rocked forward, and bucked with all her might.

Only to find that she had slightly overestimated how far her hind legs would reach.

"Whoa!" she cried as her flailing limbs initially found nothing but air. Now off balance, she didn't so much kick the tree as she fell into it, rump first.

"Ow," she complained, but she was already looking up at the two delinquent apples with somewhat unwarranted optimism.

As though in sympathy, one of the two apples did have the good grace to release its grip on the tree and fall to the ground. Whether this was, strictly speaking, the result of Apple Bloom's enthusiastic misfire or rather a stiff breeze that happened to jostle the branches at about the same time, could be debated at length. It wouldn't though, because every pony around the tree immediately accepted that the cause was the young filly who was just now getting to her hooves again.

She seemed rather pleased.

"I did it! I bucked an apple off Grandfather!"

Considering the thickness of the trunk, the height of the apples, and the fact that the tree had a reputation for being difficult, Apple Bloom, small as she was, could rightly consider herself proud. Congratulations and hugs were given by her two older siblings, and long seconds were waited hoping that the final apple would have the good manners to follow its brother earthwards.

It wasn't to be. After a minute Big Macintosh cleared his throat and gave Applejack a quick look. Reluctantly she stepped up to the tree and gave it a swift kick. The offending fruit plummeted to the ground, landing with a thud to complete the formality.

Applejack had won. She looked disappointed.

Until she saw Apple Bloom. The filly had retrieved her apple from the ground and, holding it in her forehooves, was talking excitedly.

"I got you, Grandfather Apple. Just wait 'till I show you to Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo!"

She stared at it, wide-eyed, as though it was the most valuable thing in the world. A little part of history from the first days of Ponyville. And it was hers!

A distant peal rang from the farmhouse – Granny Smith ringing the dinner bell, and with it came the promise of a hearty meal in good company – for all those who got there before it went cold.

"Oh boy, supper! Come on y'all!" Apple Bloom said as she raced toward home, her precious trophy in tow.

The two older ponies smiled, watching their younger sister race away. Only now did they become aware that the evening around them had given way to full dusk. The fading light had crept up unnoticed, as it tended to.

"Thanks, big brother."

"What for?" Big Macintosh asked innocently.

"You know what for, ya big Galoot!" Applejack paused. "Look, about this," she looked sheepish again as she nudged the final fallen apple with a hoof. "We'll just say it don't count–"

But Big Macintosh was already waving his foreleg to cut her off.

"Nope. Ya won fair and square, sis. A bet's a bet."

"But you would've won if ya hadn't given up your turn!"

"My choice." Big Macintosh said simply.

"But...it feels like I won because I broke my promise...like I cheated it from you or somethin'. Don't feel right. You should'a won," she finished weakly.

"I win every year, sis," came Big Macintosh's reply with a small grin. "Reckon it's about time you beat me."

As far as he was concerned, that ended the discussion on the matter. Applejack had cleared the tree with her fifth kick, so under the terms of the contest, he would have to haul that cart to the wood shed an extra five times come winter. That was all there was to it and if Applejack wanted to argue, he could be just as stubborn as her.

"Guess we'd better get to gatherin' up Grandfather's young-uns," began Applejack, who then broke out into a wide, full yawn. She blinked to clear the cobwebs but couldn't stop her eyes from staying closed a fraction too long. She dipped her head to retrieve the first apples from the ground when a hoof on her shoulder stopped her.

Big Macintosh just smiled. "I'll take care of it. Go inside and rest, sis. Ya look tired."

---

Dinner was eaten, the plates washed and put away, and the late evening was filled with the sounds of four ponies happily chatting in front of a warm and crackling hearth. Eventually, Apple Bloom was persuaded that it was time for bed and she trotted upstairs taking her hard-won apple with her. Granny Smith followed soon after, leaving Applejack and Big Macintosh alone together in front of the cozy fire.

Applejack lay flat, muzzle resting on her forelegs, eyes closed. She would have drifted off into sleep but her brain refused to disengage. She kept replaying the events of earlier over in her head and the gnawing sense of guilt still bothered her. It didn't matter how she sliced it – she'd, unforgivably, broken a promise to her own sister, Big Macintosh had sacrificed victory to bail her out, and he'd ended up indebted to her to the tune of five cartloads of firewood as a result. It was wrong, and she had to make amends.

"Hey, Big Mac?"

"Mmhm?"

"Reckon I owe ya for today."

Big Mac just shook his head. "Weren't about to watch both my sisters get themselves all upset over an honest mistake. Y'don't owe me nothin' fer that."

"At least let me let y'all off the bet," she tried again.

"Ya didn't cheat. You won. We shook on it, and I gotta keep my promises too," he said. Then in a low voice, added, "Besides, wasn't keen on just sittin' back watching while ya fetched all that firewood."

Applejack almost let out a frustrated cry. Big Macintosh was being noble, and it was exasperating! It made her want to hug him and kick him in equal measure. She and Big Mac didn't see the situation the same way, she knew, but why didn’t he understand that she wouldn't feel right in herself if she couldn't find some way to pay him back – to show him how much she appreciated what he'd done? She didn't really have anything to give him: almost everything they had they shared anyway, as a family, but he wouldn't even accept a gift in this mood. She furrowed her brow, thinking.

Perhaps if she couldn't give him something, she could help him with something. Or do something for him. Or with him. She brightened at that. When was the last time they'd done something together that wasn't work? That was just for fun?

She realised she couldn't remember.

A fresh wave of guilt descended on Applejack like a thick, smothering blanket. Big Macintosh was one of the most important ponies in her life and she couldn't even remember when she'd last spent any real time with him. How had that happened? Growing up, they'd done everything together. Folks had used to call them 'Mac n' Jack' for short, because you'd never see one without the other. They'd always managed to get themselves into – and out of! – all kinds of good natured mischief.

What had changed?

She didn't have an answer. But, she quickly resolved, the Why and the How didn't matter half as much as setting it right. And then inspiration struck her.

Opening her eyes and looking toward her brother, Applejack offered a warm smile.

"Let's all go camping."

Big Macintosh put his confused face on. From his point of view, the conversation had jumped tracks slightly.

"All three of us," Applejack carried on. "Apple Bloom and I had a great time up at Windsome Falls, and I can't recall the last time we all did somethin' together..." She paused at that. Saying it out loud brought with it a fresh pang of regret, but she found her smile again quickly. "Reckon that means it's been too long."

Big Mactintosh thought. It had indeed been a long time since they'd done something together. Unlike his sister though, he could remember exactly when it was. He suspected that Applejack would have been quite surprised, and maybe upset, if she knew just how long it had been. He kept it to himself.

"You want me to go camping with ya'll?"

"Why so surprised? We used to go camping together a lot, you an' me."

"Just don't reckon ya need me to help pitch your tent any more, lil' sis."

"Ya really are a big Galoot. That ain't why I want ya to come and you know it. Do I really need an excuse to want to spend time with my big brother?"

Big Macintosh grinned, "Eeyup!" Then paused. "And the farm?"

"Applebuck season's over. Ain't no chores that can't wait for a week, and Granny Smith can take care of herself. The farm won’t hurt."

There was a lengthy silence. Big Macintosh just sat still, and Applejack swore she could hear the gears turning in his head as he thought. He was now collating every possible implication of leaving the farm unattended and scanning for problems. Sometimes that stallion thought too much.

"Come on Big Mac. You'll have fun. We all will. I promise."

Big Macintosh eyed his sister as, inexplicably, she raised a forehoof, made a small cross in the air, and then covered one eye. He called a halt to his mental risk assessment. It was a fairly simple equation after all.

If it took his company on a camping trip to make Applejack happy, then so be it.

"Okay," he smiled back, "where're we going?"