• Published 13th Feb 2013
  • 3,481 Views, 36 Comments

My Little Pony: The Last Goodbye - Darthvalgaav



Today is a very special day for Twilight. It's her 80th anniversary of the day she came to Ponyville. And she has a little tradition she likes to do on this day.

  • ...
4
 36
 3,481

Goodbye

"And done," said an ancient purple mare to herself. Once she had been an active unicorn who fought in the name of her princess and mentor. Now all that was left was what some ponies believed a shell of her former self. Her mane had long turned grey and had lost its pink stripe. Wrinkles covered her face and now she wore glasses. On her back was a plaid blanket to keep her old bones warm. Yet despite what time had done to her body, Twilight Sparkle's mind was just as sharp as ever. Perhaps it was because she did daily brain exercises.

Slowly, she set down her quill and closed the book she had been working on for the last three months. And just in time too for the sun was now rising outside. Soon ponies would be waking up to begin getting ready for the Summer Sun Celebration that would be taking place tomorrow.

For Ponyville, it was going to be a big deal. It was going to be the first time in twenty-five years that Celestia was going to be visiting the town to celebrate. All of the towns citizens were going to be hard at work all day to make sure everything was perfect for their princess. All except for one.

"Oh no! I overslept again!" Twilight didn't bother to hide her smile as she heard several crashes from upstairs. Moments later a grey unicorn mare came charging down the stairs. Her green eyes were wide with worry. Her black mane and tail were disheveled which was a pity. Usually her tail was tied up near the end making it resemble a paint brush. Her cutie mark was a fathered quill and an ink bowl.

Inky Quill looked up at her mentor with fear in her eyes. She could see that Twilight's horn was still glowing, despite not using any magic. Or at least no magic that the eighteen year old mare could see. Lowering her head and flattening her ears she walked up to Twilight.

"I am so sorry I overslept," she began, but Twilight raised a hoof to silence her.

"I told you yesterday and the day before that we are on break," said Twilight with a kind smile. Her pupil, whose face had been the very definition of fear, suddenly looked a bit more relieved.

"So you're not going to have me removed as your apprentice and sent back to magical kindergarten?" Twilight rolled her eyes.

"I only did that one time," muttered Twilight

It had been fifty years since Celestia had told Twilight that she had learned everything the princess could teach her. However, that didn't mean that Celestia didn't have another job for her. From time to time the princess would send her former student a young unicorn that had great potential to take as an apprentice.

Sadly, most of them Twilight found to be spoiled due to Canterlot life. The first one to show up at Twilight's door had complained non-stop how he was being forced to live in such a dull and barbaric town. He treated Twilight like she was his servant, not his teacher. The unicorn mare did her best to keep calm, but after two days she sent him back to Canterlot along with a very angry letter to the princess about his behavoir. After that she got a mare who talked bigger than Trixie. For three solid days Twilight had listened to the mare go on and on about how amazing she was and that Twilight was lucky to have her as a student. But on the fourth day Twilight learned that this mare couldn't even do a simple levitation spell. Nor did she seem to understand the most basic concepts of magic, something that was taught to Twilight back in magical kindergarten! So much for 'great potential'!

On and on it seemed to go. Twilight had no idea why the princess thought that any of these foals were...above average. Then after two years, Celestia sent her a student that at least seemed like he was trying. He studied under Twilight for six years before Twilight felt he had learned enough. Shortly after he left Celestia sent her a letter and finally explained the situation. Apparently several members of the admissions board for her school were suspected of taking bribes. So for whatever reason, Twilight had no idea, Celestia sent suspected students to Twilight as well as potential candidates for her next private student.

Right now, Inky was the fourth student that Twilight had decided to keep around. To be honest, she had never seen a more nervous filly in all her life.

Inky had arrived at her doorstep ten years ago, looking scared and nervous. When asked a question she would respond so quietly that Twilight had to use a volume control spell and ask her to repeat what she had said. Each time she made a mistake, Inky acted like she had committed the worse crime in Equestria. Twilight liked her enough, but she had her doubts about these fillies abilities since they were just in the average range. However, as time went on, Twilight learned from the fillies mother that Inky looked at the purple mare the same way the Twilight had (and continued) looked up to Celestia. Inky had grown up on stories of the mare who had defeated Nightmare Moon, Discord, Sombra, and many others. To her, Twilight was a greater hero than Celestia because Twilight started off as just a common unicorn like her.

After that, Twilight took a more personal interest in her latest apprentice. While they still studied magic together, Twilight made sure that her student didn't make the same mistakes that she had made. For example, Twilight made sure that Inky spent time outside the library and made friends. She made sure that Inky got to experience the Running of the Leaves and many other things that Twilight didn't do until she came to Ponyville at a much older age. And as time went on, Twilight began to see Inky as the granddaughter that she never had. Normally she would keep an apprentice for six to eight years before sending them back to Celestia. Inky had been here for ten.

"How about I make breakfast," said Inky with a smile. "After all, today is a special day for you."

"That sounds lovely." In a flash, Inky raced to the kitchen to begin the morning meal. Smiling, Twilight walked over to the door to see that the mail had already been delivered. After picking them up the old mare walked into the kitchen to see that two well prepared meals were already on the table. "That was fast."

"Actually I should have done it fast," said Inky. Suddenly her eyes widened in fear. "Oh no, my 'Super Sonic Breakfast' spell lagged by .4 seconds! Does this mean that my magic is beginning to fail? Should I see a doctor or something? I just-I just-"

"Need to take a deep breath," said Twilight gently as she sat down. She then took a bite of the meal before her and smiled. "It's good. You’re probably just a little slow since you woke up only a few moments ago. Nothing too terrible. Oh, by the way your mother sent you a letter."

With a relieved sigh, Inky took the took the letter that Twilight handed her and sat down. As they both ate, Inky read the letter with a grin. Finally she sat the letter down, wanted to tell Twilight the news.

"Great news Twilight," she said. "You remember my little brother Spotted Quill? Well my mother wrote to tell me that he has joined the Cutie Mark Crusaders! Isn't that wonderful?!"

"That is very good news," answered Twilight with a smile.

It was amazing how the CMC had grown over the years. It had started out as three friends that did activities together in order to find out what their cutie marks were. Then Babs came along and when she went back to Manehatten she got other fillies and colts to join the CMC. Ten years after that, there was a CMC group in just about every town and city in Equestria. However due to its size, as well as its lack of structure, it was in constant disarray. In the end the original three founders were asked to help set rules and guidelines.

Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle worked for weeks as they came up with rules and guidelines for what had once been their little club. They had matured and were now able to look back at their past...excursions with new understandings. They wrote down rules in order to keep fillies and colts safe, but still have fun. In the end the CMC took on a whole new look. Badges and awards were given after completing various activities as well as ranks given to those ponies who had gained enough of the two. They also thought that having the new CMC help out the community might also help the little ones gain what they all wanted: their cutie marks.

"So what time will Spike be getting here at?" asked Inky as she finished breakfast.

Twilight sighed. "He's not coming this year."

"B-But he has to!" shouted Inky. "I mean, today is the eightieth anniversary since you came to Ponyville. He knows how important today is to you."

"Calm down," said Twilight sternly. "He sent me a letter last night. It seems Sapphire came down with a bad cold earlier this week. He was hoping that she'd feel good enough to travel, but her cold was more serious than he thought." Twilight paused for a moment as a small smile appeared on her face. "I am, however, glad that he knows what's important. Today is just a silly little thing. He has a family to take care of and I don't want him to risk their health just to make me feel better."

"Oh, I see," said Inky as her ears flattened.

It had been close to forty-five years since Spike left Twilight. For one thing, he had gotten too large for the library. Also, he was no longer a baby dragon. It was time for him to go out into the world and make a living for himself. He had found a tribe on earth dragons like himself and settled down with them. He was now married and had one daughter.

Still, Twilight missed him a lot. And she would be lying if she said that she wasn't sad that he couldn't make it this year. This was a very special day for her as well as Spike. They had so many good memories that, on this day, they would talk a very special walk to remember the day they arrived. Even after Spike left, he always showed up on this day. Until now.

"It'll be fine," said Twilight as she adjusted her blanket. "Now, we both have a very busy day ahead of us. Weren't you planning on seeing your coltfriend today?"

"W-W-What?" stammered Inky with a heavy blush. "I just... I have no idea what you're talking about! Oh, look at the time. I gotta run!"

Twilight chuckled as she watched her student run out of the room and into the streets. Soon, the old mare also left the library to begin her little tradition. But on the way to her first stop, Twilight picked up several flowers.

Luckily for her the first stop was a short distance away from the flower stand. And while there had been some changes to the town over the years, Twilight's mind could clearly remember the spot the chariot landed when she first came here. A few more steps ahead and she was standing at the spot where she had first met Pinkie Pie.

While standing at this spot, Twilight allowed herself to think back on her memories of her bouncy pink friend. Pinkie always seemed to be running around, making sure that every pony in Ponyville was happy. But then the Cakes died in a train crash, leaving Pinkie their two year old twins. Most of the ponies in Ponyville thought that this meant the end of Pinkie Pie's amazing parties.

They were wrong! Pinkie somehow managed to do it all. She ran Sugar Cube Corner by herself, raised the twins, and still managed to throw a party whenever the occasion called for one. And, in her book, nearly every occasion called for one. Not to mention that every once in a while she would go help save the world. Never once did she seem tired nor did she complain about her work load. She did it all with her famous smile.

That was until thirty years ago when she went to the doctors. She thought she was feeling a little dizzy and asked Twilight to come with her. The news wasn't good. According to the doctor, her heart was stressed. He told the two mares that if Pinkie didn't want a heart attack then she needed to slow down a bit. That meant hire some ponies to help her out at work, less sweats, and no more parties. After giving her some medicine he wished her the best before they left.

The entire way back, Pinkie didn't say a word. She just walked with her head down, hiding her face. Twilight knew that this news was hard for her friend. The doctor was telling her not to do the one thing that made her special. It was like asking her not to breath.

And the very next day Pinkie decided to take once last gulp of air. Fliers were all over the town for 'Pinkie's Last Party-Party!' She had pulled out all the stops with more of everything. There were two DJ's, a large swimming pool of punch, more game stations, and a mountain of sweats. And while all this was going on, Pinkie was running around making sure that every pony was having a great time. Twilight tried to talk to her pink friend, reminding her what the doctor had said. But Pinkie just smiled, saying that this was going to be her last party and she wanted to go out with a bang. While Twilight didn't approve, she allowed her friend to continue. She did, however, keep a watchful eye on her just in case.

The party went from mid-afternoon all the way till the next morning. All ponies wanted one last party from the party queen herself. If this was going to be her last one then they wanted to enjoy it to the very end.

When the last guest had left, Pinkie Pie let out a loud yawn. She turned to Twilight and asked her to help her get into bed. Twilight agreed and the two slowly walked into Pinkie apartment about the bakery. She never moved into the Cake's old room, preferring to stay in the room they had originally gave her. Yet twice along the way, Pinkie tripped on the steps. Twilight helped her into her bed and then tucked her in. Before she left Twilight asked Pinkie if there was anything she wanted.

"No silly," Pinkie Pie had said with a smile. "Everything is alright now. Thank you for being here."

And with that, Pinkie closed her eyes for the last time. Then next day, when the store didn't open, Twilight went to her friend’s room to find her dead. A smile still on her face.

To this day Sugar Cube Corner still stood. The Cake twins took it over after Pinkie died and then left it to Pound Cake's daughter, Strawberry Cake. There had also been several ponies who had tried their best to fill the party pony void left by Pinkie Pie. However, none of them could ever seem to capture the charm that Pinkie Pie parties had.

As a tear fell from Twilight's eye, she began to walk to her next stop.

It took a while, but she finally made it to Sweat Apple Acres. Normally it would take so long thanks to Spike, however age had slowed her movements. Some would have told her that the order she went in didn't matter. That she could have saved time if she had just gone from spot to spot as they came up. But for Twilight, the order was important. This was the order that she met her friends and she was going to continue to do this in that order.

"Granny Twilight," came a loud voice as Twilight approached the gate. Looking up, Twilight saw Sweat Apple, one of Applejack's grandchildren. She was a bright yellow mare with a braided red mane. She had green eyes, freckles, and her cutie mark was a red apple with a bite taken out of it.

Applejack, it Twilight’s opinion, had lived the most fortunate life out of them all. She didn’t become rich or famous but instead lived a life that most of the others wished they had. She had been the only one out of the group to get married. They had their up’s and down’s, but they were always together. Applejack gave birth to three foals, each one caring on the Apple family traditions.

She died about twelve years ago. There was nothing neither tragic nor sad about it. It was simply her time. It was simply her time to go and she went peacefully surrounded by her children and grandchildren. Right now Sweat Apple ran the farm with her older brother.

“Granny Twilight, are ya here ta taste test the grubs for tomorrow’s shindig?” Twilight shook her head.

“No, no,” said Twilight. “I gave up that kind of stuff years ago. I was just going on my yearly walk. So tell me, how are things?”

“Not so good,” said Sweat with a groan. “Sour and me had a fight yesterday. He’s no better than a stubborn mule.” She turned her head to look at a mule that just so happened to be standing nearby. “No offence.”

“None taken,” said the mule before walking away.

“There you are,” came a stallion’s voice. The two girls turned to see a dark red pony with a black mane that had a single green stripe in it. His cutie mark was a green apple that also had a bite taken out of it. It was Sour Apple, the elder of the two siblings

“Hey there bro,” said Sweat with a grin. “What’s up?”

Sour narrowed his eyes. “What’s up is that there is still a mountain of work left to do. You said you would start on the treats for the Summer Sun Festival while I work the fields, but you haven’t gotten anything done yet. And here you are blabbing away with Grandma Twilight.”

“Ah come on,” whined Sweat.

“I don’t want to hear it,” snapped Sour. “Now get!” Lowering her head, Sweat slowly made her way back to the house. Once she was gone, Sour’s expression softened as he turned his attention towards Twilight. He saw that Twilight’s horn was glowing, something he had noticed for a while now but didn’t say anything about. “I’m sorry ya had ta see that.”

“It’s no big deal,” said Twilight was she waved her hoof. “Now then, what’s this I hear about you two fighting?”

“Well, ah, it was about you really,” said Sour as he shifted his gaze away. When he turned about to look at her he saw that she had an eyebrow raised. Sour sighed. He had wanted to do this differently, talk to her after the Summer Sun Festival. But it looked like it was now or never. “See, the argument was actually about you moving in with us.”

“It’s a nice gesture,” said Twilight, “but I’m doing fine.”

“No your not,” said Sour as he took a deep breath. He had to be strong right now. He couldn’t afford to back now. “I’ve been thinkin’ about this since you fell down in the market place a couple months back and had to go to the hospital. You’re a hundred and two years old! You should be taking it easy right now. But Celestia keeps giving you students and sending you out to do who knows what. Sweat thinks that your fine an all, but ah can’t stop worrying about ya.”

“But what about the library?” asked Twilight calmly.

“The mayor will just have to get some other pony,” said Sour. “And if you’re worried about Inky then she can move it to. Ah don’t care if ah have to invite the entire town to move in with us as long as it means getting you the help you need.”

“But I think you would prefer it if it was just me and my student,” said Twilight as she winked at him. Sour felt his cheeks darken but didn’t say anything.

“Grandma, could you please just think about it. For me?” Twilight placed a comforting hoof on the stallion’s shoulder.

“I’ll think about it,” she said. “Now, you get in there and talk to your sister. I think you were a little hard on her.” Sour’s expression hardened.

“I have ta be hard with her,” he said gruffly. “If ah don’t then she just lays around like a lazy daisy.”

“Still no reason why you can’t try to be a little nicer to her,” said Twilight as her smile fell. “Believe me; you’ll never realize how much you’ll miss her once she’s gone. Laziness and all.” Sour took a deep breath, exhaled, and then nodded. A smile returned to Twilight’s face as she said goodbye before heading off to her next stop.

It was some time later when Twilight made it back into town. Her hooves were beginning to her and her movements were slowly. Part of her wanted to stop and rest for a bit, but she pushed through. She still had several more stops to make before the day was over. Her next stop being near the old white water well where she met Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow had lived a life that many ponies would call spectacular. Four years after meeting the young racer, Rainbow had been accepted into the Wonderbolts. For years she thrilled the crowds with her racing skills and stunt works. Over the years she had come up with several new tricks, but the one the crowds always came to see was the Sonic Rainboom which she did at the end of every show. During her career, she set seventeen records and had a wing dedicated to her in the Wonderbolts Hall of Fame.

Yet as time went on even she realized that she was getting slower. During training practices she needed to take more breaks and her wings kept cramping up. Also she began to feel a bit more tired. Nothing was wrong with her, she was just getting older. So with a heavy heart Rainbow Dash announced her retirement before an open crowd, giving them one last Sonic Rainboom. A banquet was held in her honor reserved for teammates and friends only. One by one they all stood up to say a few words about Rainbow, most of them good. There were some more honest ponies, however, that retold some of her more brash moments before the crowd. Still there were no hard feelings and Rainbow Dash was able to laugh them off. When it was her turn to get up and say a few words she thanked them all for being her teammates and that if they ever needed her again she would be there.

Allowing her career as a Wonderbolt, Rainbow became an instructor at flight camp. While she couldn’t fly like she used to, she was still more than capable to teach the young ones a few of her tricks. She pushed them as hard as she pushed herself back in those days. Also, under her watched, she didn’t allow any bullying. She had seen enough of it happen to her and Fluttershy and would not allow any of it to happen under her watch. And if she ever caught any of that kind of stuff then she sent them packing home.

Then it happened. Rainbow was taking her campers to a Wonderbolts show to reward them for all their hard work and to show them that they could be the ones flying out there someday if they kept working hard. But when they got there Rainbow heard that, for the first time ever, the Wonderbolts might have to cancel a show. Apparently there had been an accident in training and they were one short. So, naturally, Rainbow stepped in and offered her assistance. At first the team politely told her no, that they doubted that she could still keep up with them. However Rainbow held firm and in the end they allowed her to fly with them.

The crowds cheered like they hadn’t cheered in years. Even after all these years, Rainbow’s fame hadn’t diminished and those that attended were given a very special treat of seeing her fly once more. And despite her being a bit out of practice she was still able to keep up with the others, despite some slight discomfort in her wing. When the show was nearing the end, the ponies began to chant “Sonic Rainboom!” over and over. Smiling widely, Rainbow flew up high and preformed the last Sonic Rainboom that would ever be seen by the fans. The multi-colored explosion it caused knocked most of the fans off their plots as Rainbow soared off into the distance.

Yet several hours later, she still hadn’t returned.

Twilight, her friends, as well as several others went out looking for her. She was found around midnight in a crater she had created when she crashed into the ground. From what the purple mare could see, her friend had several broken bones and was most likely bleeding internally. Twilight did her best to keep Rainbow alert on their way to the hospital. Then, without warning, Rainbow reached out one of her hooves to grab Twilight.

“Did they like the show?” asked Rainbow as she looked at her friend in the eye. Twilight could see that Rainbow was in a lot of pain, that it most likely hurt her to talk. Yet she wanted to know about her fans, about the fans of the Wonderbolts. The ponies she had never let down before.

“Y-Yeah Rainbow,” choked Twilight. “Everypony loved it.”

“That’s good,” said Rainbow as she released her grip. Soon after that she fell unconscious. By the time they arrived at the hospital she had been declared dead. According to the doctors, they believed her wings had cramped up while moving at super sonic speeds causing her to crash land.

She was the first of the six to die.

Luckily for Twilight, town hall wasn’t too far away. Inside, ponies were busy decorating for the arrival of Princess Celestia. The ceiling was full of banners of reds, golds, and blues. Twilight thought it looked nice but then again, if Rarity was still here, she would have said that it was an absolute mess.

Rarity had been the last of her friends to pass away. After years of hard work her talent had finally been fully recognized by the ponies in Canterlot. Once that happened she moved Carousel Boutique to the capital. Her fashions were worn by the best of the best. To have a Rarity original soon became the symbol of a high class pony.

Then, twelve years after she moved to Canterlot, she returned to her home in Ponyville. Apparently she felt that her designs were becoming far too common and that the crowded atmosphere was choking her creativity. At least that’s what she said. But the real truth of the matter was that she missed her friends. Canterlot parties were a complete bore and missed Pinkie Pie parties. She missed the days when her friends would model for her or just go out for a picnic. She missed the simpler days. Now if any pony wanted a Rarity original they would have to come to Ponyville. This made the dresses even rarer and thus more elite and expensive.

As time went on, both unicorns watched their friends die one after the other. And as they got older themselves, they decided to help each other out. Rarity closed down the boutique and moved into the library with Twilight. Sure they bumped heads at first, each with their own lifestyles, but they soon got the hang of it.

Then, one day, things changed. It started small with Rarity forgetting where she put her scrap book. But as time went on she began to forget more often. A couple of times she forgot where the bathroom was. Eventually Twilight convinced her friend to see a doctor who confirmed that Rarity had Alzheimer’s. At first, Rarity was in shock not wanted to believe that she would slowly forget everything that was important to her. It was only thanks to Twilight and Applejack that she was able to try and live a normal life while she still could.

Not knowing how much time she had, Rarity set to work on a very important dress. The white unicorn took over Twilight’s basement and refused to allow her inside. For three weeks she worked on this final project of hers and when she was finally finished she called Twilight down to show her the fruits of her labors. It was a magnificent feathered dress with an equally feathered hat.

“Twilight, do you remember the time when I went to Canterlot a few days before your birthday?” asked Rarity. “Well this was the real dress I wanted to make fore you. Instead I spent my days going from party to party when I should have been working on this dress to thank you for setting things up with me and the princess. I always intended to make this for you it’s just things kept getting in the way. So, while I’m still me, I wanted to make this for you.”

“It’s beautiful,” said Twilight. After that, Twilight wore the dress on every special occasion. Birthdays, going out to eat at a fancy restaurant, going to Canterlot, and so forth.

As time went on Rarity’s condition got worse and worse. It happened slowly, but soon she was forgetting who ponies were. She forgot who Blueblood was and when Lyra died Rarity wanted to know who she was. Other times she seemed to be stuck in the past. One day she woke up screaming, wanting to know why she was in the Ponyville library and not in Canterlot. Then the time came when she began to forget who her friends were. Those days were the hardest on Twilight as she did her best to try and remind her friend who they were and what they had done together. But it was like reading stories to a child. They were just stories to her and nothing more.

During the last days of Rarity’s life, Twilight found herself wearing the dress her friend had made for her more and more. Then the day finally came. Twilight walked into Rarity’s room to see her friend staring at her.

“Darling, where did you get that beautiful dress?” she had asked.

“You made it for me,” said Twilight. Rarity’s eyes widened in surprise.

“You mean I finished it?” asked Rarity. Twilight nodded as Rarity laid down in her bed. “Thank goodness. I thought I wasn’t going to make it time for your birthday. Now you have a dress that will put those snobby Canterlot ponies to shame.” And with that, Rarity fell asleep and died a few days later.

From town hall it was a short distance to her next destination, an old tree where she had met Fluttershy. When she first came to Ponyville the tree had been young and thin. Now it was a mighty tall oak full of leaves. Deciding to rest for a moment, Twilight laid down in its shade as she remembered Fluttershy.

Fluttershy had been, well, herself throughout the years. No matter what happened she still remained the same shy pony she met eighty years ago. She usually stayed close to her home and tended to her animals. Sometimes Twilight and the others felt that she was withdrawing farther away from other ponies as she seemed to spend too much time with her animal friends.

The one major thing that she did do was sent up her own little vet. Sure, it wasn’t as big or fancy as the towns vet, but she could handle just about any animal no matter how rare. She also helped pet owners with various problems they were having with their pets. Like, for example, how to get a bat to stop pooping of the carpet and go outside. And every once in a while there would be a filly or colt that would come by wanting their own pet. Naturally Fluttershy would do her best to match the little one up with the best pet for them.

She died on a dark and stormy night, one of the worst in Ponyville history. It would have been one of those nights were Fluttershy would have hid under her bed throughout the night until it was either morning or over. Instead she was outside walking through the storm while she searched for one of her missing bunnies. She had found the poor thing near the river. When she went to get him the ground below them collapsed into the raging water. The next morning her body was found, still clutching the baby rabbit whom was still alive.

Her cottage still stood to this day. Several times in the past the residents of Ponyville had tried to take down to put up more modern homes. However the number of animals that still lived there kept the ponies at bay. Some believed that the place was haunted and that the ghost that lived there used the animals to protect its home.

Whenever she heard that, Twilight would chuckle. Ghosts were one of Fluttershy’s many fears. If she was haunting her old home then that meant she was a ghost. And if she was a ghost, did that mean she was afraid of herself?

Still, all in all, Twilight missed Fluttershy’s talents almost as much as she missed her. Last time Princess Celestia came for the Summer Sun Festival, the town had decided to use the school band for the music. Not the best idea since they were out of practice for the summer and they were only given two days to get ready.

After a little while longer Twilight got up and headed to her final destination before she headed home. Her legs felt weaker than ever despite her rest. Still she continued. Her last stop wasn’t part of her normal tradition. In fact, she preferred not to go there on a day like today. However she knew that she had to. And about a half an hour later, Twilight stood in front of the graves of her five friends.

The tombstone stood in a row. Each one had a pony’s name, their cutie mark, and finally what element they once held. Twilight looked around only to notice that no pony had been there since her last visit three months ago. The only evidence of her last visit, a flower placed at each grave, was long gone. If she had to guess they were most likely destroyed by nature’s elements.

“Hello girls,” said Twilight softly as she placed new flowers on their graves. However she was unable to go any further. She didn’t want to talk to graves that couldn’t talk back. She wanted to talk and laugh with her friends again. She wanted to hear they laugh and bicker with each other. But she couldn’t.

Twilight was a scientist. For the most part, Twilight didn’t believe in anything that she couldn’t see, understand, or explain. Before any of her friends or family died she would have stated that when a pony dies they simply cease to exist. There was no ‘other side’ or ‘afterlife’. To her, such things were simply created to make the living feel better with the promise that they would see their loved ones again. But now that Twilight had lost nearly everypony she had ever cared about she wanted to believe that there was something out there. Something she couldn’t explain like Pinkie’s Pinkie Sense.

Yet there was still one thing that still held true to Twilight despite the passage of years, something that was clear to her as she looked at these graves. One is only truly dead when there was no pony around to remember them. Right now, she was the only pony that visited these graves. Few ponies remembered Pinkie Pie or Fluttershy. Sure Rainbow Dash was still talked about and there were plenty of stories told about Twilight. But how long would those last? How long before their names and deeds were completely forgotten about? Fifty years? Twenty? Ten? Her friends deserved better than that. Hopefully, if everything went according to her plan, their names would live on long after these tombstones vanished.

Twilight turned around and began to leave when she suddenly stopped. She turned her head around to say goodbye when her eyes grew wide with shock. Standing before each grave was her friends. Each one looking see through as well as looking as young as the day she met them. Twilight quickly rubbed her eyes and when she looked back at the graves she saw that they were gone. Was her mind and eyes playing tricks on her or had she seen the spirits of her friends? Shaking her head, Twilight walked back to her home.

Several hours later, Twilight sat on her favorite couch. It was dark and she was all alone. The only light she had was a single candle. She wouldn’t see Inky until dawn when the princess raised the sun. Most likely due to a party or something of that nature. She was happy that Inky was out and about, making friends and having fun. As for Twilight, she had pulled out several photo albums and was looking over them intently.

Her eyes wander, looking at picture after picture of her friends and family. She paused to look at Applejacks wedding. The farmer mare had let Rarity dress her up ‘nice an fancy’ making her natural beauty even more radiant. Next to her was the blushing groom who looked like he wanted to take her away right then and there. Also in the picture was Rainbow Dash who had been the Best Mare.

Twilight turned the page and saw a photo of her and Rainbow when they met the author of the Daring Do series. Rainbow looked like she was about to jump out of her feathers as the author signed her book.

Turning the page again, Twilight saw a picture of Pinkie Pie. It was taken at the train station as the twins were heading off to study under one of Celestia’s royal bakers. It was a real honor to say the least. Pinkie Pie looked like she was about to cry at any moment while Pumpkin was failing to keep her tears under control.

On the next page, Twilight was looking at a photo of Rarity. The white unicorn was standing outside her new place in Canterlot looking so excited. Of course on the way there she had been moaning and groaning the entire way about the price just to rent the place. However all her whining and complaining ended once the deed was in her hooves.

Fluttershy’s picture was next. Well, to be honest the rest of this book and several others were full of Fluttershy. Each one was taken next to a different animal. Once she realized that she had her picture taken next to one of her cuddly little friends, she didn’t want the others to feel left out. So she asked Twilight if she wouldn’t mind taking a picture of each one of them with Fluttershy standing next to them.

As Twilight sat the book down the light on her horn began to flicker. As it did this Twilight began to gasp in pain as she grasped her chest. Her eyes widened in fear as she began to hear her own heartbeat. She then lost her support and fell off the couch. ‘No’, she screamed in her mind. ‘Not now! I just need a little more time! Please, just a little more!’ Slowly, the light on Twilight’s horn began to stabilize, however it was fainter. Slowly Twilight’s breathing became more relaxed and controlled.

She laid on the ground for an unknown period of time. She was weak from that sudden attack and could barely more a muscle. She had known for a long time that she was living on barrowed time. But there was still one thing she had to do. But now it seemed that she would be unable to do it. She looked over at the wall clock and saw that it would soon be dawn. There was no way she could make it in her weakened state. Slowly Twilight began to sink into despair when the door to the library suddenly opened.

“Twilight Sparkle,” came the commanding voice of Luna. “We did not-” Her words were lost as she saw Twilight on the ground. She raced towards the mare and noticed her lightly glowing horn. Using some of her own magic, Luna scanned Twilight’s body. A moment later her eyes widened in shock. “How long have you been doing this?”

“Long enough,” muttered Twilight. “Could you please help me? I need to get to town hall.”

Luna looked at the purple mare for a moment before levitating her onto her back. For any other pony she would have taken her to the hospital. But Luna’s spell had revealed the truth to her. Slowly Luna took Twilight to their destination. Once they arrived, the two felt all eyes were on them. Some ponies whispered amongst themselves, wondering what was going on.

Then the music began to play. As the mayor began to announce Princess Celestia, Twilight pulled the last of her strength. She slowly slid off Luna’s back and began to push her way through the crowd like she had done when she was a little filly. Once she was at the front she bore witness to her princess as she raised the sun. It was just as bright and brilliant as when she had seen her do it the first time. And as it happened the glow of Twilight’s horn finally faded.

Twilight fell down to the ground, much to the shock of the ponies in the crowd. Twilight could hear them calling out to her, but it was like they were so far away. She could see the worried face of Princess Celestia, but it was like looking down a long dark tunnel that just seemed to keep getting longer.

Suddenly there was a light behind Twilight. She turned around to see what it was only to have her jaw drop in shock and awe. A moment later a smile appeared of her face as she began to gallop towards its source. As she did her wrinkles vanished and the color of her mane returned to what it had been in her youth. Also, as she got closer, she heard voices of the figures that waited for her at the other end.

“Lookie, lookie! It’s Twilight! I think this calls for a party!”

“Geez Twilight, what took you so long? We’ve been waiting forever!”

“Oh my, I hope we don’t look too anxious to see her. Would that be bad?”

“Darling what is that dreadful thing you are wearing? You simply must allow me to make you something better.”

“Nice ta see ya again sugarcube.”

As Twilight entered the light she looked around and saw everypony there, waiting for her. Her friends, her family, everypony that mattered who had been a part of her life they were all here. Twilight felt tears of joy running down her face.

Twilight felt a small tug pulling her back from where she came from. Looking back, she could barely make out Celestia who was using her magic to try and bring Twilight back to life. However, Twilight simply shook here head and walked with her friends further into paradise.

Two days later Celestia found herself standing in Twilight’s library, still reeling from her student’s death. Some many things seemed unfair. Like, for example, her being unable to save Twilight’s life. Then there was the matter of Twilight’s will. In it she had asked that she be buried in the Ponyville cemetery. Celestia had wanted Twilight buried in Canterlot near the castle in a special place reserved for those ponies who had done a great service to the crown. Yet she felt she had to respect Twilight’s wishes. But what was most unfair was the fact that Twilight had kept her condition a secret from everypony.

“I spoke to the doctors,” Luna had told her that morning. “Three months ago she had a heart attack in the middle of the market. She used her magic to keep it beating until she got to the hospital. However when she got there the doctors said it was too late, she needed a new heart but she was too old to be considered for a transplant. Once her magic stopped so would her heart. Still to keep her magic going day and night for three months is an amazing feet.”

Celestia heard this, but didn’t care. All she felt was the sting of betrayal from her former student. Why hadn’t she confided in her? Didn’t Twilight know that she would have done everything in her power to save her life? But then again, that was the downside to immortality, watching everypony you meet grown old and die.

Celestia’s eyes suddenly widened when she saw something that shouldn’t be there. It was Twilight, looking like she did when she was twenty. She was looking at something on her desk before she turned her head to look at the princess and then smile. Tears filled Celestia’s eyes as she reached out a hoof to Twilight.

“Princess?” came a voice behind her. Celestia whipped her head around to see Inky. The princess looked back at the desk to see that Twilight was gone. It was just her mind playing tricks on her. Perhaps it was also because this place had been a part of who Twilight was. Taking a deep breath to calm her nerves, Celestia turned to face Twilight’s final student.

“Inky, how are you holding up?”

“Barely,” replied Inky with her head down. “I just can’t believe she’s really gone. Sour’s been helping me cope, but it still feels unreal. I keep expecting her to walk through those doors any moment.”

Celestia nodded. “I understand. Will you now be returning to Canterlot? Twilight wrote to me that you would make a great student.” Inky gave the princess a sad look.

“If you had asked me that last week then I would have said yes in a second,” said Inky. “But…I want to stay here. This library meant so much to Twilight and holds so many of her memories. I want to keep it like it is and make new memories in it. I know it must seem selfish of me, but I feel that’s what I have to do. And also, there is a stallion…”

“Say no more,” said the princess with a smile. “I understand. You should follow your heart on this one.”

“Oh, one more thing,” said Inky as she walked over to the desk. She levitated a letter and a large book and handed them to the princess. “I found these last night. Twilight wanted you to have them when she…you know.”

“Thank you,” said the princess. With that, Inky left the room so that Celestia could read the latter in peace.

‘Dear Princess Celestia,

By the time you read this letter I will be dead.

I am so sorry for not telling you. But if I did you would be working around the clock trying to save my life. However, I have accepted my fate. Like any other little pony I will die someday. And it wouldn’t be fair for you to keep me alive while so many other’s don’t get the same benefit.

Still, I wasn’t ready to go just yet. As the doctors were telling me about my condition, I realized that I hadn’t done anything with my life. Sure I saved a couple kingdoms, but what was I leaving behind? Will me and my friends be remembered? I fear the answer is no. Sometime soon, the stories that are being told about us will end and then we will all be truly dead.

I refuse to let that happen!

So, for the last three months I have sent writing down everything. Every moment since I came to Ponyville is written in a book which I assume you are holding right now. Everything we have learned about friendship, our adventures, and so forth are in this book. I now entrust it to you to do with it what you will. Perhaps you can show it to your next Faithful Student.

I feel my time is short. I can only hope I can last till my anniversary and see you raise the sun once more. You still mean the world to me and I love you like a mother. I hope you can one day forgive me for this.

Love your Faithful Student,

Twilight Sparkle’

Celestia looked at the paper and then at the book with teary eyes. The book was thick and on its cover were the cutie marks of Twilight and her friends. This one book contained Twilight’s last hope that they wouldn’t be forgotten. And Celestia would make sure that happened. She would see to it that this book was published and made available to the public.

And with that, Celestia walked out of the Ponyville Library for the last time.

Author's Note:

Up until now, I have been writing MLP stories with my girlfriend Darth Cookie. However, when the idea for this story came up she flat out refused to do it saying that it sounded too sad. At first I said ok. Then season three began and I began to fear that this was the last season of the show. It's not hard to see why. I mean they were only doing 13 episodes and it just gave out a feeling that they were trying to wrap up some loose ends. So I wanted to write this story before the final episode.
Luckily, I have recently heard that there will be a season 4 and with 26 episodes. YES!

After this, I need to decide on my next story. I have two good ones which Darth Cookie says I don't need to do. One is about what would have happened if Luna built the Lunar Republic a thousand years ago and Twilight was her prized student. I also really like the framing of the story and I think you will two. The other is something like the Nyx stories, but with changlings instead.

Well, I hope you all enjoyed this story. If you cried then I've done my job!

Comments ( 33 )

A beautiful story!:fluttercry:

Good bit of story, just two cases I'm not sure you meant it-

"Sweet Apple" rather than "Sweat Apple", and "feat" rather than "feet", right? :)

May Celestia give her blessings. I love your story from top to toe. However numerous the spelling errors seem, you story... may your story grow to be a classic never to be forgotten. :fluttercry::twilightsmile::pinkiehappy::pinkiesmile:

GOD DAMNIT MY ROOM IS NOW FLOODED YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD!

Manly tears were shed over this story. 'Nuff said.

:fluttercry: so sad, but so good.

G-Good story. It gave me a good cry.

You only truly die when no-one remembers you anymore. Well, Twilight decided that she and her friends would be remembered as long as there was a pony civilisation. A simple enough wish for a mare who did so much for everypony in Equestria.

2118147

Sometimes, its the simple things that matter most. People just don't realize that.

2116469>>2116638>>2116935>>2117035

To be honest, I was tearing up while I wrote this story. :derpyderp2: And as long as I made you cry, then I did my job!:facehoof: There where some other things I had planned to put in this story. Like the fate of DT and SS. Also, I had planned on having Spike rush over to the library as soon as he found out. However, I felt this was good enough. Oh, also there would have been a secret Big Mac and Twilight flashback, but I also decided against that.

Well, he's hoping that you read my works in the future.

2118666

Oh, I most definitely will. Once again, great job.

The feels... I can't breathe... I love you, you splendid bastard

2118666 I will.good story, here are sad ponies for the sad story.:applecry::fluttercry::pinkiesad2::raritydespair::raritycry:

wow i gotta give you mad props: that was beautiful! not only that but everything just flowed perfectly and ended on a fitting bittersweet note. A story well written!

2121575>>2120979

Glad you enjoyed it. My next story, whichever one I do, won't be so sad. I think :rainbowwild:

This, was pretty good. I don't read a lot of fanfic, and this is the first in a while, and it was a good one to pick up with. A bit sad, but well written. Also for whatever reason I was hoping "Tears in Rain" would pop in, though I guess the general theme of that did :twilightsmile:

Good work, mate!

2123269

Never heard of 'Tears in the Rain'. Oh well. Glad you enjoyed this story.:twilightsmile:

2116442

Well I am looking for a beta if you are interested.

I am crying really hard right now. Wonderful job, you magnificent author!

*sniff*... THE FEELS!:raritycry::raritydespair::fluttershbad::fluttershysad::fluttercry:

This is a nice story, but you might want to make another proofreading pass. Among other things, you've consistently used "Sweat" instead of "Sweet" for all things apple-related (sweating is what you do after exercise, and isn't very appetizing).

If you want, I can proofread it for you, but that would involve mailing hardcopy back to you (I'm of the "use red ink on a printout" school). Having a friend who's local to you proofread it might be more convenient for you.

I still certainly enjoyed the story, and I've added "thousand year change" to the to-read queue as well.

4038877

I have said this before: I cried while writing this story.

This is a very sad tear-jerker. :pinkiesad2::fluttershysad::fluttercry::fluttershysad::raritydespair:

I didn't cry, but it made me sneeze. Well Done.

Urrrrkk! My heart! Stop tugging on those strings, I need them!

You heartless, sad making bastard....

That story was so beautiful... And heart wrenching....

How did I suffer through t without a heart attack?

"Then, twelve years after she moved to Canterlot, she returned to her home in Ponyville. Apparently she felt that her designs were becoming far too common and that the crowded atmosphere was choking her creativity."

Wow, you predicted the real reason she almost closed the Boutique well over 2 years ago! Spooky... :applejackconfused:

ok for some time Im going trough people I follow to read things I have missed before.
I had found you trough your main story "thousand year change "
I know this is older.

Now I would probably do few things differently and focus on few other things. Still ending had so much feelings that I cried. And that managed only two other pony things before - some scenes from Fallout: Equestria and SFM Remembrance by Argodaemon... well done

Have to admit that gramatical and spelling errors nagged me but still it is worthy of my fav.
PS: please finish Thousand Year Change. If you decide to make a hardcover print I would definitely buy it.

It took me long enough to get around to reading this, but I'm glad I finally did. I fully agree with the lesson being taught by this story: so long as we remember, they're still alive. :pinkiehappy:

Straight into my Top Faves Short List, this goes! :twilightsmile:

I have reviewed this story as a part of the Reviewer's Cafe, you can find the review here. If you have any questions please feel free to message me!

I feel like, to make it apt, you need to publish this as a hardcopy. I would sell the world for this kind of stuff on my bookcase.

Login or register to comment