• Published 22nd Sep 2021
  • 2,475 Views, 56 Comments

I Thought I Knew Him - Omegathyst



As Twilight learns that her brother is getting married to another stallion, going against everything their parents taught them about gay relationships being bad, Twilight finds herself not only confused about their love but her own feelings as well.

  • ...
49
 56
 2,475

But Do You Know Yourself?

Twilight stirred awake from her slumber as her alarm clock went off. Using a stray hoof to turn off the device, Twilight got up from her bed and rubbed her eyes with her hooves as she stared on the writings on the wall. It took her a few moments to realize that the writings were not the ones she had written over the past week.

“Follow your heart” and “Be more compassionate towards yourself” were written several times on the wall, “Forgive yourself” and “Love triumphs over hate” were written once. And then there was the main words in the center of the room.

“Wonderful Pony”

Twilight gripped the blankets before she dropped them, burying her face in her hooves as she broke down into tears.


Twilight had washed her face and put on her full wedding outfit by the time she walked to her brother’s side, with Celestia, her friends, and many other ponies waiting for Bolero to come through the doors. The Cutie Mark Crusaders had already galloped down the aisle with baskets full of flower petals, and the Prince of Love was expected to enter the room at any moment. Fluttershy was off to the side with her birds, waiting to give them the signal to sing. Twilight looked at her brother in his red suit, and nudged him with her foreleg.

“How exactly did you even get the Prince of Love to marry you, anyway?” Twilight asked.

“Well, I told him that not only would he be getting a husband out of it, he’d be getting a wonderful sister out of it too,” Shining told her.

“Does he still believe that?” Twilight frowned as she stared at the doors ahead.

“Of course he does,” Shining gulped as he remembered those words that were once in the center of her temporary room. “Twilight, how are you feeling this morning?”

“Well, it’s been a lot better than yesterday,” Twilight sighed. “Especially with the sweet words my big brother wrote for me.”

“Well, I definitely agree with everything that was written,” Shining smiled. “But it technically wasn’t me who wrote them.”

“Then who did?” Twilight tilted her head, and as she put two and two together, the doors opened, revealing Prince Bolero in his royal purple tux as he walked down the aisle, a big rainbow flower adorning his short mane. Twilight glanced over at her friends to see Rarity in tears, Applejack glancing at her as she put her hat back on. As Applejack smirked, her signature hat mostly unnoticed, Twilight smiled. Perhaps after the wedding, Applejack will have softened up towards her. Twilight took her eyes off the farm pony before she caught her staring, realizing that the butterflies she felt years ago were coming to the surface as she stared at Applejack’s toned legs and long blonde mane. Twilight gulped, shaking her head and looking at the rest of her friends. There was Fluttershy, who joined the others and didn’t hesitate to look into Twilight’s eyes and grinned from ear to ear. Pinkie, wearing a golden dress with her mane tied back, winked at Twilight and caused heat to rush to the unicorn’s face. Twilight looked away from her friends and at her future brother-in-law as he joined the top of the platform near his aunt and facing her and Shining Armor.

“Mares and gentlecolts, we are gathered here today to celebrate the union of Prince Bolero and Shining Armor,” Celestia smiled and nodded at the two stallions. “Shining Armor, we will start with your vows.”

“Thank you Celestia,” Shining glanced at her before turning to look at Prince Bolero. “Prince Bolero, before I met you, I was just a colt that had little more than his O&O buddies at school. And then not only did you start foalsitting Twily here, but you started talking to me, even as the most popular cheerleader tried again and again to make her yours. And then at the Fall Formal, you chose me over her, even after you two were announced King and Queen. I’m telling everypony this because that magical night? I couldn’t speak of till today. Certainly not when I still lived under my parents’ roof, and now? I can scream my love from the balconies, they can’t stop me now. So thank you, Bolero, for not only helping me embrace myself, but for being there when ponies made it harder. I vow to do the same for you, and prove that you made the right choice for the rest of my days.”

Twilight winced, looking down at the floor as Prince Bolero began his vows.

“Shining Armor, one of my favorite ways you love me is the fact that you refer to me as your sister’s former foalsitter or fiancée before referring to me as royalty,” Prince Bolero explained. “In that cheerleader’s heart was nothing but young lust, but you? You had so much pureness in your heart as you just wanted to always be at my side. It brings me so much warmth to know you want to spend the rest of your life with me, and I vow to take care of you and prioritize you even when the royal life isn’t easy.”

In the few seconds of silence, Celestia glanced at Twilight before looking back to the two stallions.

“The strength of these stallions’ commitment is clear, and their love is undeniable,” Celestia smiled before she looked at Twilight. “May we have the rings, please?”

Twilight looked up to meet Celestia’s unreadable gaze, and the unicorn used her magic to place the rings on top of the couple’s horns.

“I now pronounce you colt and colt!” Celestia grinned, stepping back as Bolero lunged forward and kissed Shining Armor.

Twilight felt her heart jump in her chest as she saw them kiss for the first time, but instead of feeling the cold wave of disgust washing over her, all she could feel was a calm warmth as she realized that it happened. They were married, despite her, and Twilight didn’t have to worry about her brother anymore. Especially not when she could feel their energy from where she stood, hot and fiery, yet calm and sweet at the same time. She was trying to pick the imaginary speck in her brother’s eye when she had a log in her own, and now the real problem in her heart was clear.

“Rainbow Dash, that’s your cue,” Celestia said as she leaned towards the pegasus.

Rainbow Dash grinned as she launched herself off the balcony and soared high, a Sonic Rainboom of many colors bursting into the sky. As Shining Armor and Prince Bolero walked out of the room to start the reception, Celestia walked beside her student.

“Twilight Sparkle,” Celestia spoke, and Twilight flinched as she looked up at her teacher. “Your brother spoke to me about how your parents raised you, I’m not going to pretend that it’s a perfectly good excuse to rip into your brother for finding love…”

Twilight looked away, bracing herself.

“...but I’m relieved to see you turn around in time for the wedding,” Celestia admitted. “I don’t even know what lies they might’ve told you, they probably own the historically inaccurate books that claimed that I only bedded stallions.”

“Wait, what?” Twilight stopped in her tracks, and Celestia looked over her shoulder as she stopped as well.

“Ponies will tell themselves what they want to believe, I suppose,” Celestia rolled her eyes before gently smiling at Twilight. “This doesn’t change anything, does it?”

Twilight felt her heart race as she processed what she just heard, and looking into Celestia’s soft gaze, she was confident about one truth in the sea of confusion that she was still lost in.

“No, of course not,” Twilight caught up with Celestia, walking beside her close enough for their pelts to brush against each other as the two mares followed the married couple.

As Prince Bolero and Shining Armor stepped outside and began to dance, Twilight stood outside the door and watched them. She felt Celestia’s wing resting on her back, and didn’t dare to move it away. The intoxicating excitement rushed throughout her body, and she didn’t stop it nor indulge it. She let the feeling exist as it was, and in that moment, her loud thoughts ceased into silence.

Author's Note:

Thank you lovely people for reading this through to the end! I'm just super proud that not only did I finish this in time, but it ended up being the longest contest entry I've ever written. Regardless of what happens, I'm thrilled to have garnered such praise and helpful feedback in the comments, especially from my sweetheart ShinyStarBoi. Yes, when I'm not backed up with other contest projects and hiatus stories, I'll definitely work on a sequel to this. I will give you only two words for what to expect next: Queen Umbra.

I will post more commentary about this story, and future stories, on my blog. So if you're not following me already, please do if you're interested in my future stories! 😃

Comments ( 11 )

Wonderful ending! Can't wait to see more!!!

Hey! I thoroughly enjoyed this. The pacing did feel slightly rushed at times, but that was due to time constraints.

It might be just me, but this feels more like a story about Twilight coming to terms with the fact she likes mares with a M/M ship as the catalyst for that rather than being centered around a M/M ship. Shining Armor and Prince Bolero almost felt like side characters. That's not to say it wasn't a great story! I just know it's entered in the M/M contest and wanted to point that opinion out. (Oh, boy, am I going to get downvoted for that...)

I loved Twilight obliviously crushing on her friends, and kind of want them to all date each other. 😆 Love that Celestia's bi! (Kind of hoping she does something to Twilight's parents...)
Thanks for a good read, and I look forward to reading more of your work in the future!

11046061

It might be just me, but this feels more like a story about Twilight coming to terms with the fact she likes mares with a M/M ship as the catalyst for that rather than being centered around a M/M ship. Shining Armor and Prince Bolero almost felt like side characters. That's not to say it wasn't a great story! I just know it's entered in the M/M contest and wanted to point that opinion out. (Oh, boy, am I going to get downvoted for that...)

Yeah, I realized that three chapters in, which is why I implemented a lot more scenes with them in the last two chapters. That way, the judges actually had chemistry to rate the story on.

I was almost expecting the parents to show up and cause trouble only for Twilight to tell them off. Maybe in the sequel, IDK

Howdy, hi!

You have been successfully entered into the MxM contest! Thank you very much for your participation and we look forward to reading!

This was an interesting read.
I really hope that there will be a sequel to this involving Night Light and Twilight Velvet being confronted by Twilight, Shining Armor, and Prince Bolero (and maybe Princesses Celestia and Luna) about all the abuse they put Twilight through. And maybe put on trial for it. In addition, their could be a sequel finding out what became of Flashy, the filly Twilight had loving feeling for.

Twilight gripped the blankets before she dropped them, burying her face in her hooves as she broke down into tears.

yay

“Well, I told him that not only would he be getting a husband out of it, he’d be getting a wonderful sister out of it too,” Shining told her.

aww! to say that even knowing how Twilight thought. Shining had a lot of faith in his sister to come around, and i'm glad it worked out

Pinkie, wearing a golden dress with her mane tied back, winked at Twilight and caused heat to rush to the unicorn’s face.

canon

I couldn’t speak of till today. Certainly not when I still lived under my parents’ roof, and now? I can scream my love from the balconies, they can’t stop me now.

this was very nice!

“I don’t even know what lies they might’ve told you, they probably own the historically inaccurate books that claimed that I only bedded stallions.”

grr straightwashing!

She let the feeling exist as it was, and in that moment, her loud thoughts ceased into silence.

and a lovely line to end on.


depicting gay/queer themes in this canon is tricky. it's a world so different and so much kinder than our own that transplanting how humans do homophobia directly makes stories feel a bit off to me. the same feeling i get when i see stories featuring direct analogues of things like Playboy, strip clubs, and the like. at the very least, it makes the story not feel as if it is taking advantage of its setting. but you get around it in a brilliant way, writing a homophobia that is fitting with the feel of what is possible in Equestria but no less damaging to the ones it hurts.

but i see what you mean now, about how the story might have too much of it focus off of the M/M ship that it is about. it definitely qualifies, as the story is about an M/M ship, but the main character arc is Twilight's, and on top of that is an arc of F/F self-discovery, which meant that in the end this fic worked better as an F/F fic than an M/M fic! and as a fic about that self-discovery, i felt for and identified with Twilight strongly, and loved it."

A wonderful ending all in all, Twilight might be busy with her newfound gay acceptance. Bolero was such a sweetheart to her, and this shows that their relationship could've gotten just as close with a chrysalis event. Gotta love Celestia revealing her casual pansexuality, I mean might as well get adventurous with immortality.

11071311
Hey, I really appreciate the thorough reviews you gave this story even though it didn't win. It means a lot to me, and I'll try to get my Woman X Mare entry done on time lol.

Dang, I didn't realize this story was so new (relatively). I was really hoping for a sequel to this- focusing more on twilight and after.

I only have one question: Tf happened to that Flashy mare?

Login or register to comment