• Published 24th Aug 2012
  • 5,712 Views, 116 Comments

Élégie, Op. 24 - Togashi



Vinyl Scratch catches up with Octavia, but dark memories from their past return.

  • ...
21
 116
 5,712
This story has been marked as having adult content. Please click below to confirm you are of legal age to view adult material in your country.

Confirm
Comments ( 45 )

(Joke) Alt. Title: Vinyl And Octavia Experience A Picardy Third
It's an orgasm joke. Heh. Heh. Heh.

Still no [Tragedy] ? :rainbowhuh:

Well, that was a dark and sad ending.

I would wonder what happens when Octavia runs out of drugs, assuming that she has had to cut off ties with her old life, but no doubt Pinkie Pie has some good connections

1927404

Good point, I guess this does end rather tragic...didn't really think about it.

well fuck

I'm sure someone thinks this is unbearably sweet and sexually arousing but man this is dark

I knew that it was starting to get messed up around the third and fourth chapter, but the ending was disturbing and disheartening. It makes you wonder how people (or ponies, in this case) like this even exist, and it's way more than just slightly messed up. :pinkiegasp:

I liked this fic. The story seemed to change (to me at least) after the third or fourth chapter. Still good but it seemed to shift from one thing to another.

Hmmm and we make our way back to the clop. Interesting

1929890

Drug origins are as follows:

The first drug that keeps Vinyl up for days and puts the libido into overdrive is meant to mimic Crystal meth. It can be injected or swallowed, that's how they did it in the old days!

The drug to dull her pain at Fancy's is supposed to be a (horse) Tranquilizer.

The last drug that makes her forget is a fictitious drug. The closest thing to it would be from A Scanner Darkly, where abuse of a fictitious drug called Substance D led to permanent memory loss.

This certainly is dark, but I found it to also be fascinating. The whole story turned out quite well, with solid characterization and steady pacing. My only issue is wondering why Vinyl didn't try and stop Octavia from giving her the mind wiping drug. If she had fought and lost then it would have made for a very dark and tragic story. Instead, Vinyl always seems to come off as a victim. Even after saving herself from others in a spectacular way, it all gets undercut by how easily Octavia controls Vinyl. I can't say Vinyl is a tragic hero in this story, she simply stays a victim of life, circumstance, and of course, Octavia. You did a great job of developing her as an antagonist. This story proved to be a great read, and a very good example of dark fiction, but I wouldn't give it a tragic tag.

1930079 The last drug reminded me of Retcon from Torchwood. :twistnerd:

Wow....that was so wonderfully dark....Now I have two wonderful fics to add to my faves one where Octavia is evil...or is it just really twisted...and the other has Vinyl in that role and is brainwashing Octavia.......

Well shit... now im depressed, but in a good way.:pinkiesad2:

2042341

No problem, fixed it. Thanks

Good lord that fic...
I mean... I'm speechless... Or rather I feel like I have to voice my toughts, but there are so many of them!
I enjoyed every second I spent reading those words, every single one of them. When I stumbled upon this fic I was surprised by the way you depicted Octavia and her relationship with Scratch, it was so unorthodox in comparison to most other fic based on this pairing...
The clop was good and, let me be frank here, I was looking for something akin, suffice to say I wasn't disappointed...
But what really caught my eye was your way of portraying them, because it made sense, it was cruelly "possible" and even worse (if I may use such term) it felt real.
From the very first lines, you annouced the colors, they were dark and sharp. Your readers watched the nightmare unfold, sometimes sharing the cellist's predatory grin, sometimes wishing they had a thousand needles to stab the dark colored mare for every wound and every pain she infliged upon her "friend", but mostly, hoping to see the rays of the sun pierce the mists of this bad dream, hoping for a better morning while fearing that what is waiting at the end of the trip could be worse than what was before...

In short: I loved this. May your day be excellent.

I've seen the picture as a profile picture.... But, I'm going to try this out right now!

Congratulations! You just made me hate Octavia!

On of the darkest fics I have ever read.....but also one of the better written ones. Kudos, all together this is a fin fan fic!

....I....I.....I don't know...my whole world has been distorted by this story....I'm so relieved that is all it is. a story. I cant say i would ever be so evil. i enjoy being in power and control from time to time but this...this is dark. dark, sick, and twisted to me. and i started off enjoying it so much too. I give it a 10/10. not because i loved it, but because it deserved such a score. your work is fantastic, but i wish i had known the darkness i was getting into from the beginning.

1973248
Title of that other fic, if you may sir

...aaaaaaaaaaand it's official: I no longer like Octavia. All-in-all though, a very well done piece. Disturbing and saddening, but well done.

This was one of the most beautifully well written and most disturbing stories that I have ever read. This story, My Little Ponies, is why you stay away from drugs and drug dealers. It brings you absolutely nothing but trouble. I really loved this story. I thought that the drugged up sex scenes were pretty bad-ass and the perspective throughout the story was really intriguing. I liked the occurring flashbacks and how the beginning to the story was the end of it too. I loved how this story provided a pretty intense back-story to how Vinyl and Octavia came to being roommates in Ponyville. This was really one of the most intense and psychological thrilling stories that I have ever read. You have earned my respect from this story. You have also earned a favorite and a thumbs up. Maybe even a follow. (Ps: The art for this story...totally amazing) I am quite surprised that I was able to write this much as to my thoughts on this story. I look forward to reading more from you in the future. Keep up the fantastic writing!

I've read this story through multiple times, and though I can easily say you are a very talented writer (very decent sex scenes, namely), I can't bring myself to ACTUALLY like this. I just... no. I don't need to explain it, I'm sure you won't mind my comment anyway, but if you do...

Vinyl deserves much better than this, certainly. I need to go see happy things, and nothing on your list of stories will bring that, I don't think. Sorry.

Here you are, making Best Pony look like a complete slut... not to mention what she did to Vinyl at the end of the story. :facehoof: I still wonder why exactly I finished this story... I hated it since the end of chapter 2.

Comment posted by MR scrappy deleted Jul 19th, 2013

[youtube=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kmTK_eSOCN4] this is how I feel about you, author. :raritydespair:

This is literally the best thing ever you need to make a movie about this and win 7 Grammys

Goddamnit man. Just god damn. This was amazing. I remember reading this as you wrote it back in those "Dark Equestria" threads on /mlp/ (you really need to start posting there again). Ive been meaning forever to finally finish it and I did. This story I find is just inexpressibly well written. FFS it dosnt even read like a fanfiction. Just change the names and make everything non horsey and you have an excellent short story right there. Frankly your story inspires me. Now I want to go and write the next "fan fiction epic." Now onto the acctually story. I just cant fathom that there could be people this evil in the world and even our minds. Where do you come up with this? You did such a great job portraying Vinyls innocence, than you did an even better job at completely destroying it. better than a greek/10 tragedy.

3041601
Thanks for the comment.
The story was partially influenced by American Psycho and A Scanner Darkly. I definitely feel like people with these mindsets exist. Just about anyone you run into has dark little secrets they wouldn't want anyone to find out about.

3046280
Well there are two more films on my "to watch" list.

Also any chance you would return to /mlp/ to restart those "Dark Equestria" threads? They were fun to lurk.

imscared to read should i guys im such a sucker for happry endingd snd this is my fav ship.

3405374 Then don't read it, because it certainly doesn't end well, you should be able to tell in the first chapter that it's a very dark Fic, honestly Rainbow Factory has absolutely nothing on this, all Rainbow Factory did for me was make me slightly uncomfortable, this is more like a psychological thriller, it still scares me that there are people like this... Very well written and one of my personal favorites... despite being an Octavia fan.

Written amazingly it was extremely sad though I kept hoping for at least some sort of happiness for vinyl but still very good, only thing I wish that the first half of 1 wasn't also the ending as 7

wow I don't think I've ever read a story this full of drama without rolling my eyes. This story flowed so smoothly from start to finish, and of damn that ending! Not sure of tragic or a mercy. One things for sure, Octavia plays one hell of a villain. Still, not sure if you forgot to mention them but I'm pretty sure there should of been at least one or two fried foals in that place after her little light show.

You literally put so many writers on this site to shame with this level of writing. There are not many who can craft such a grey character as you did with the grey mare here. She's so fucked in the head living amongst those freaks that it really hits you back to the first chapter as to why she just happens to play those types of somber pieces as opposed to the illusion of what those more 'upbeat' pieces do to mask the world of the rich from what really lies beneath the veil.

Is it a wonder Octavia even despises happy ponies? Maybe my own interpretation, and likely Octavia will never see or admit it, but deep down lies a broken pony whose music reflects her inner soul. She did what she did to get where she wanted to be, do be what she wanted most, but most of all so she could do more than merely survive.

The drugs. The effects on Vinyl. The emphasis on earth pony strength vs the weaker physiques of a unicorn and Octavia's sick lust for a pony she doesn't even realize she cares for.

And to say nothing of our main villain, whom I shall not name, was just the type of over-privileged bastard that gets to get away with murder given enough money and and rubbing shoulders with the right ponies.

More people need to read this story. Easily one of the better stories on the site. Bravo. Seriously. Bravo!

That ending was just chilling. Tragedy tag done fucking right. This could of been a movie. xD

4730293 Thanks for the kind words. I really did put a fair bit of effort into this one. Large portions were actually scrapped and rewritten.
I would say the most fun was writing Vinyls' overtly optimistic dialog. She truly was a pony that took things at face value, never questioning the motives of her 'friends', and because of it, she paid dearly. Most of the drug parts were interesting too, because even though I'm no saint, I have never done meth and the like, so I had to research and talk to some friends. Very interesting.
I still am very surprised that this remains probably my least popular story. I think I came off very derisive by including songs in the description, as well as making the title too 'fancy.' I did actually listen to the entirety of Elegie while writing this, but still, kind of a douche thing to do, and I probly wouldn't do either again.

What an end for a story grayer than the "antagonist's" palette. Much kudos to you, my man, for this wonderfully dark, dramatic affair, that featured sex but in no way obliged you to clop to it. It's, as they say, a fic with clop, rather than a clopfic. Very well done, my man.

4745523 I wonder exactly what drugs Vinyl was under the influence of in which chapters?


4953814
I went over some of the drug origins here: 1930079

1930079
>Crystal meth
I now suddenly imagine Octavia as freakin' Heisenberg.
Though, given the convoluted, twisted mindset she revealed, tht's not far off.

This was a really dark story.
I was personally on the lookout for some sort of redemption, but that was snatched away pretty quickly. I can't say I'm particularly fond of this type of story, but I can appreciate the quality of the story itself and the amount of time and effort that clearly went into it. Very well written.

you have no bloody idea how long I've been looking for this story. One of your best works in my opinion. Delicious darkness filled with drugs and sex.

and that is why you dont become a musician... or do drugs...

Login or register to comment