• Published 4th Jul 2018
  • 554 Views, 18 Comments

Amereep's Anthology of Flashfics - Amereep



A series of unrelated stories that are 150 words long. All written by some loser.

  • ...
3
 18
 554

PreviousChapters Next
Atmosphere

Author's Note:

September 2020

One of the things that I find that makes a great story/movie/show/whatever is something that appears simple, but has a deeper meaning to it. A ring being an invisible tether that ties souls together, gripping an apple indicating a sign of wisdom, a broken sword implying a shattered will. A good story is one that gets across a point, and symbolism is the thread that ties it together. Unfortunately, the message might not come across quite clearly at times.

Before doing these monthly contests, I participated in another monthly contest called 'The 11 Second Club'. It's a lot like these 150-word flashfics, the difference is that you're given a sound file that is 11 seconds long to animate to. What's more, the winner is decided through the community and gets their animation reviewed by a professional animator. But the communications over there is terrible as there's no way to reply or PM anyone. There's a forum and you can comment on animations, but it's only during the judging and your comment only appears after the winner is announced.

The comments I was given were mostly pointing out flaws that I overlooked, and I agree that it was an oversight. I'm more of a storyteller than a dazzler, so I often glance over places and focused on specific areas more than other.

The 'Money Shots' were given their treatment, but the last shot of the last entry was special to me. I focused on the subtle eye movement and the twirl of her wrist, but the one I was strongly devoted on was the camera's position and the book's location. It wasn't to keep me from animating her mouth, it was to imply something for the audience to pick up on. I could've touched upon a few places outside of the quality, and when someone left a comment that said...

'For the final shot, the camera needs to be in a different position, or the female character needs to lower the book to see her facial movements.'

...I was infuriated. I wanted to tell him what I was going for, yet there was no way to contact him; but judging by the second portion of his comment about how the first shot needed more movement, he only cared for motion and not the message. He didn't catch the symbolism I was making in this animation, so I want to try to retell the event through a media that quite literally, 'writes it out for you'.

It'll be different for continuity sake, but the message should stay the same.


Hell Has No Fury Like..... (Adaptation)

"Come on, Twilight. I said I was sorry."

Twilight's face stays deadpan on the book she reads while sitting on the wooden stool.

"Did you hear me?" Spike asks for his unreplied apology.

Twilight lifts the book up to eye level in her aura, practically buried within its pages.

Spike starts to feel the anxiety swirling inside himself, worried at the fact that he was unheard once again. Despite the close proximity, Spike never felt more farther from her. If only he could get a better look at her face to get a sense that he's reaching her.

Spike stretches his neck to see her expression, but Twilight shifts in her seat, blocking his attempt.

"So I goofed up." Spike tries to soften the issue, "It isn't that-" he quivers upon seeing Twilight leering at him. Peering over the hardcover wall that she constructed to keep his distance from her.

PreviousChapters Next