• Published 14th Nov 2017
  • 4,317 Views, 247 Comments

Rip Van Glimmer - Rose Quill



Starlight wakes up after a battle to find two centuries have gone by.

  • ...
16
 247
 4,317

Sleep

Twilight stepped away, her horn still glimmering slightly. “There is some fading chaos residue in your mantic aura,” she said. “Though, honestly, I still find your story difficult to believe.”

“Likewise,” Sunset remarked as she brought in a tray from the hallway, some food on it. “It’s hard to believe that Twilight or myself wouldn’t help a friend that asked, no matter how jaded we might become with age.” She set the tray down on a table and nudged it over to where I could reach the items on it. “Especially if Spike felt it was important enough to stay and help.”

“The entire time I was there, nothing felt right,” I whispered, glancing over at where Trixie dozed. “You and Sunset ruling Equestria and not speaking to each other, Flurry Heart not understanding how the Elements worked, even the events not lining up with what I was hearing between you and Echo.”

“It’s an eerie thought that she managed to latch onto you and pull your mind into the future,” Twilight said with a shiver. “We both know the kind of damage that can have on the timeline. And just to get a spell, too.”

“For a while after we got you here, you showed no brain activity,” Sunset mused. "That must have been while you were waking up in the alternate timeline. Then you started seizing here, your body trying to pull your mind back.”

“I had some seizures there, too,” I nodded. “And I could hear the doctors shouting.It didn’t make sense at the time, though.” I tried to levitate a spoon of peas to me, but my horn just sparked. “And apparently I’m in the middle of mantic burnout.”

“Well, that’s to be expected,” Twilight giggled. “Between your concussion and the fact that you burned through part of a Royal Regalia’s stored mana in the other timeline, you’ve been a pretty active filly.”

“It was pretty gutsy towards the end, Starlight,” Sunset grinned. “And despite what you said, I think you’re important enough to the world. You’re one of my friends, after all.”

“Agreed,” Twilight smiled. “Though it was really noble, being willing to sacrifice yourself to save your friends. That takes true courage, such as you’ve demonstrated before. I’m so glad you were willing to learn friendship from me!”

I giggled as well and patted my hooves in the air. “I wouldn’t go that far," I whispered nervously. “I was operating on the edge of my horn most of the time when my other self revealed herself. The whole thing with the Pony of Shadows was a wild gambit.”

“That paid off,” Sunset rebutted. “You think I knew what I was doing when I faced Twilight down at the Friendship Games? For all I knew, throwing that amulet of hers down could have just broken the thing.”

“Or when we rescued Nightmare Moon,” Twilight added. “I didn’t know any of those ponies, especially when AJ told me to let go. I was scared stiff.”

I smiled. “Seems like we do an awful lot of last ditch moves,” I quipped.

“It is kind of our thing,” Sunset agreed.

A doctor poked his head in. “Alright, now,” he spoke kindly. “I know she’s been asleep for a while, but I must insist she get some rest after the ordeal.”

I looked at the stallion. “Doc,” I began with a groan. “I’ve been in a coma for a week. I think I’ve rested enough.”

“Nonsense,” he puffed. “Comatose states are not adequate rest for the brain. You’ve passed the observation window for concussions, so its safe for you to try to sleep now.”

I slid down, my eyelids suddenly heavy. I looked at my two friends, then at the sleeping Trixie in the corner.

“Will you be here when I wake up?” I asked, a tiny shred of fear worming it’s way up my spine.

They both smiled.

“Of course we will,” Twilight said.

And I smiled, closing my eyes.

“Good,” I slurred as sleep came up on me.

“I’ve had enough of missing my friends for one lifetime.”

Comments ( 25 )

intresting ending their

Well, that was an interesting ride.

So, what? How much of the past actually happened? The bit with Starlight's coma I get. But what about Luna? Or was that just bulshit too?

Damn it author. You're not answering all the questions here.

8764745
When in doubt, question all that was said in the future.

...and it all comes to an end. Well read friend, well read.

This was a very good story. I am glad that the ending was good.

This was an interesting little fic. Thanks for taking the time to write it :twilightsmile:.

Here you go, Starlight. A set of wings. You've earned them. :pinkiehappy:

A nice way to wrap up this tale. :twilightsmile:

*Claps*

Another great story done! Great job!

You know, I don't really remember the whole plot (been a while since I read it), so I can't be sure, but it was a good story... I think. Cheers! :twilightsmile:

Good story but it seems improperly tagged, more of an adventure/mystery then a sad/slice of life.

8771609
It started as a one-off, so at the time the tags were correct. I just forgot to update them...:twilightsheepish:

Awesome story, good job! :pinkiehappy:

Not bad, for a time skip, parallel universes story.

Is Dash still dead or was that all a ruse?

Holy smokes that got so awesome!

Wait, I’m confused. Regardless of whether it was all a dream or it actually happened, the natural assumption for Twilight and Sunset to make would be that it had been a dream, so why did this chapter immediately start out with both of them completely convinced that Starlight actually went to the future?

For that matter, was it ever actually established that it wasn’t just a dream? I started this fic a while ago and only just now got around to finishing the last two chapters, so it’s entirely possible that I forgot some key detail, but the ending of the second to last chapter seemed to pretty strongly imply that it had all been a dream. That wouldn’t necessarily be a problem but then in this chapter the dialogue seems to suggest that it had somehow already been proven that it wasn’t just a dream.

8825841
Fading chaos energy in her magic aura, a truth spell possibly, multi-modal reflective sorting...

I suppose I could go back and tweak...

8826181
There are definitely ways to explain why Twilight and Sunset are convinced that, but how that came to be is definitely something that should be included in the actual story, especially since, as it stands, it would make a lot more sense for the chaos magic to have been caused by the monster that attacked Starlight in chapter one and for everything else to have been a dream. At least, that’s how I see it.

Hmm...

Not sure if I buy that explanation. There are just too many ambiguities and inconsistencies for it all to properly mesh as actually happening. It seems more like the other Starlight concocted an inmersive dreamscape, which would do a lot to explain why everything started to fall apart after her horn got lopped off.

Don't get me wrong, this was an engrossing story, but the details just don't add up. Also, there's the question of what really did happen to the Pony of Shadows, but that's secondary to the emotional catharsis at the end.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

Absolutely wonderful. Instant fave.

Comment posted by StarfallGlimmer deleted Feb 5th, 2019
Login or register to comment