• Published 14th Nov 2017
  • 4,304 Views, 247 Comments

Rip Van Glimmer - Rose Quill



Starlight wakes up after a battle to find two centuries have gone by.

  • ...
16
 247
 4,304

Solar Diarch

I stared in awe at the train. It was a streamlined object, glittering in smooth metal and polished crystal. Echo looked at me with a small smile.

“First time seeing a train?” she asked.

“No,” I said. “They just look different from what I’m used to.”

“Well, if we want to get to Canterlot proper to catch the connection to Ponyville, we need to board this one.”

I nodded and we climbed onboard the traincar, and I was surprised to see it wasn’t a train I was used to. Instead of cabins, it had rows of seats and ponies of all sorts just milled about, some climbing off with no baggage. Others boarded with us, briefcases and other business parcels with them.

“Why am I the only pony with luggage?” I asked.

“It’s a commuter train,” Echo whispered back. “It’s only used to ferry ponies from one end of Canterlot to the other. It doesn’t have any other stops.”

I blinked. “How large is Canterlot now?”

The young filly frowned as she thought. “Maybe a hundred square miles, give or take a hoof,” she answered finally. “Princess Sunset would know better, she comissioned the last mapping session of Equestria two years ago.”

“Princess…Princess Sunset? Where’s Celestia?”

“Headmistress Celestia is at her estate in the hinterlands as she always is when the school is on holiday,” Echo replied, a curious look in her eye replaced with understanding. “You weren’t awake for her stepping down and appointing her replacement. After a few years of mourning for Luna, she decided that her heart was no longer stong enough for ruling Equestria and passed the throne to her long lost protege, Sunset Shimmer. She’s been the Solar Diarch for nearly a century and a half now.”

I turned to her. “Can we get an audience?” I asked. “Today?”

She frowned. “I don’t know,” she said. “Day Court is usually tightly scheduled. It’s why my family always petitioned to the Night Court instead.”

“I need to speak with her,” I said. “She’s one of the only friends I have left. She’ll make time for me, I’m sure.”


The doors slowly slid shut, booming as the guards on the far side pulled them to. As soon as the echoes had died away, Sunset dropped the regal look on her face and fairly well pranced down the steps that led to the dias her throne sat upon. Even adjusting to the wings and the royal regalia she now wore, I could recognize the pony that had stumbled through the mirror all those moons ago to swap out a journal.

“Starlight Glimmer, you are a sight for sore eyes,” Sunset said as she slid up and hugged me. I returned it in kind, not realizing I had tears in my eyes until I stepped back and blinked.

“You're telling me,” I said. “And look at you, a Princess at last.”

She rubbed the back of her head sheepishly. “Yeah,” she said. “At last.” She smiled and looked at me. “How are you taking the news?”

I tilted my head downward a little. “It took some getting used to,” I said. “I don’t know a lot of the details, but you can only take in so much at a time.”

“I’m sorry,” she said. “I wish…ah, I can’t even wish for it not to have happened, because it’ll sound like I rather you had not woken up. And after listening to Twilight for the last two hundred years blame herself, I can’t be that mean.”

“Maybe to a point I wish I hadn’t woken up either,” I said softly. “But I’m sure there’s a reason I did.”

“Harmony only knows,” the Solar Diarch nodded. “Now, besides catching up, what brings you to my court?”

I smiled at her.

“I need some maps,” I said.