• Published 16th Aug 2017
  • 15,914 Views, 3,891 Comments

The Rock in the Gulch - Tatsurou



Maud is raised by Church and Blue Team, in Blood Gulch and beyond.

  • ...
26
 3,891
 15,914

PreviousChapters Next
A New Voice

By the time the sparring match finally finished - with no clear winner - Texas was both impressed and confused by what was going on in this canyon. One thing she knew, however, was that she needed to get those answers...and also talk to 'Church'. Maud had described him as a Schrodinger, and Texas knew what that meant. Of course, the hard part would be managing to find him so she could talk to him. She turned to Maud. "So where's your Dad?" she asked firmly.

"Over there," Maud said calmly as she looked at a nearby hill. "He always watches the sparring matches. He's in and out just now, though."

Nodding, Texas walked over to the hill in question. "About here?"

Maud nodded.

Texas took a deep breath, then let it out. Intellectually, she knew it wasn't her lungs, and yet the exercise still helped calm her...even if what she was calming herself for was a disconnect. "Maud, I'm going to...pull a little in-n-out myself," she explained calmly.

"Bow-chicka-bow-OW!" Tucker called out, only for his taunt to be interrupted as Texas easily kicked a small rock into his faceplate without even turning to look.

"And while I'm doing that, i need you to do something for me," Texas continued.

"The glowy not-Dad in your head?" Maud asked calmly.

"Exactly," Texas confirmed. "While I'm...out, he might try something. Can you make sure he doesn't?"

Turning, Maud reached up to Texas' shoulder and drew back clutching a glowing grey sphere between her front hooves. "I've got him," she stated calmly.

Texas tried not to stare. "...Maud, when you meet people outside this canyon, a lot of them are going to complain about how the things you do shouldn't be possible. When that happens...flog them with their own spinal cord, then put it back so they can feel it afterwards, okay?"

"I can do that?" Maud asked in surprise.

"It honestly wouldn't surprise me," Texas offered warmly. "Just don't test it on anyone you're worried about putting back together in one piece. Your aim with anything smaller than a boulder could still use some work." Knowing Maud had everything in hoof, Texas...stepped out.


She found herself in an odd reflection of Blood Gulch, with muted colors and a grey sky. Standing right in front of her was a figure she knew all too well. This was Alpha, although here he was known as... "Church."

Church looked at her in shock. "Texas? Are...are you dead, too?"

"Just astral projecting," she responded easily. "Needed to talk to you about a few things, figured this was easier since it's apparently a strain for you to manifest so I can see and hear you. Or you might have been avoiding me because you were scared I'd still find some way to break several of your limbs over making me a Mom without asking permission despite you not currently possessing limbs to break."

"Bow-chicka-bow-OW!" echoed through the ether.

"And Maud's aim seems to be getting better," Texas observed in wry amusement.

"But...but how are you astral projecting?" Church demanded in confusion.

"My daughter had to get it from somewhere," she answered flippantly.

"That doesn't make any sense!" he countered in frustration.

"Said the ghost father of the talking pony," Texas indicated wryly.

Church sighed ruefully. "Point made. So...you're not mad about Maud seeing you as Mom?"

"Had I heard it from you? I'd have definitely broken something," Texas confirmed. "But having met her first, I think she can live up to it. Now her 'idiot baby brother', on the other hand..."

"Oh fudge," Church groaned, his body briefly flaring pink when he didn't curse, only to fade back into white.

Texas stared at him thoughtfully. That was...interesting. "Now, perhaps you can tell me why the conflict in the canyon is so...odd."

"It was Captain Flowers' idea," Church explained. "He told me it would lead to everyone being stronger fighters and thus better protectors for Maud."

More like for you, Texas thought silently in her mind. That explained quite a bit of Agent Florida's motivations. This canyon was here to hide and protect Church...whatever form he was in. Florida had used Maud as a way to shape the canyon so even the standard conflicts worked to better protect Church. "And now you and Flowers are dead," Texas observed. "Why isn't he here?"

"I think he already passed on," Church suggested thoughtfully. He briefly blazed pink again. "But I can't. I need to look after Maud."

"I'll lend a hand," Texas offered, deciding to think about pink another time. "She's a cute kid. Besides...I wanted a talking pony at some point in my life, I'm certain."

"It's...it's good to see you, Tex," Church offered warmly. "Do...do you think we can...fix what went wrong?"

It took a few moments for Texas to parse what Church meant. He still thought her words about them 'used to be together' was that she was his ex-girlfriend...which meant they broke up. He was asking about fixing what caused them to break up. ...but that wasn't even close to what really happened. "It's not something that can be fixed, Church," she pointed out, hiding her own sadness. After all, she couldn't fix him. "But...I think we can work around it. For Maud."

"I...I'd like that," Church replied happily.

"For now, I'm going to step back in," Texas explained. "Shouldn't leave Maud unwatched too long...and I need to talk to Sarge and Tucker about the role I'm going to play in this canyon." With that, she slipped back into her body.


She found herself staring at Sarge. "What do you want?" she demanded coldly.

"Oh, good!" Sarge replied happily. "You're back in! Maud said you were out! It's time for introductions! First up is someone Maud hasn't met yet either!" Stepping to the side, he revealed a brown-armored soldier that Texas was immediately able to identify as being artificial. "This is Lopez, our mechanic! I haven't brought him around much because I built him from a kit that didn't include a voice chip, and I didn't want Maud to feel like she had competition in the 'barely talks' category!"

Lopez waved.

"I've got a spare voice modulator," Texas spoke up. Spare in the sense I'm not going to use it anymore, she added silently. "I could probably tweak it for him to use."

"He needs a voice," Maud agreed, grabbing the modulator off Texas' armor and jamming it into Lopez' circuitry.

"Seriously?!" Simmons screamed out from nearby. "Can't you do anything the way it's supposed to be done? At this rate I feel like the only way to deal with you is to have a drinking game where I take a shot every time you do something that should be impossible, but my liver's nowhere near strong enough for that and there isn't nearly enough booze in the canyon-"

"Actually, I've managed to make some good booze out of what I've mined...somehow," Grif offered. "Want some?"

"...actually, I think I do," Simmons agreed, turning to follow Grif.

"I want to call them on drinking on duty...but that mine booze sure sounds good...but Grif made it...I'm so conflicted!"

"Wait, Lopez isn't a real person?" Caboose asked Sarge in confusion once the red leader managed to stop ranting to himself.

"Him never talking, flipping vehicles over to work on them with his bare hands, and drinking motor oil didn't tip you off?" Sarge asked in confusion.

"I do those second two things!" Caboose pointed out happily.

If half of these troops were female, I'd be convinced this canyon was a super-human breeding experiment by now, Texas thought to herself. A failed one, but still...

<"So this is what it is going to be like from now on,"> Lopez observed in Spanish. <"Somehow I shouldn't be surprised.">

"Lopez!" Sarge spoke up angrily. "Why are you speaking that nonsense jargon?"

"He's speaking Spanish," Texas pointed out. "Probably a result of Maud shoving it in skewing the settings. I could probably fix it-"

"If Maud wants him speaking Spanish, then by God Lopez is gonna speak Spanish!" Sarge insisted firmly.

<"And there is the joke,"> Lopez observed sadly. <"Either Maud will be the only one who speaks Spanish, or no one will understand, or Maud will understand but pretend not to because she finds it amusing. But whichever way it goes, I am doomed to never being understood except by other machines. ...at least the readers will have subtitles and get the joke.">

PreviousChapters Next