• Published 16th Aug 2017
  • 15,899 Views, 3,891 Comments

The Rock in the Gulch - Tatsurou



Maud is raised by Church and Blue Team, in Blood Gulch and beyond.

  • ...
26
 3,891
 15,899

PreviousChapters Next
Insubordinariation

"You want me to what?"

Captain Flowers winced at Private Church's intensity, though this wasn't visible through his helmet. "It's a good, workable idea, Private," Flowers explained gently. "It means there won't be any casualties on either side, and will be excellent combat training for everyone involved."

"That's my daughter you're talking about putting up as a prize!" Church snapped back angrily. "And she's barely old enough to talk! And you want to just make her a prize for whoever wins a fight, while she watches us shoot at each other? Are you insane?"

And it's you who's asking, Flowers thought to himself. "Private, before we go any further, I'd like to approach this in a different way. At the moment, it's just a suggestion and a plan, so your refusal is just a disagreement. Now what if it were an order?"

"Then I'd kill you where you stand," Church countered flatly.

Flowers actually took a step back from the sheer intensity of Church's words, and from the completely emotionless way he said it. Had he sounded more feminine, I'd have thought it was Texas...or Carolina, he thought to himself. It must run in the family. "I honestly believe you," Flowers responded readily. "And I honestly believe you'd be capable of it...which is why it's a good thing it's not going to be an order, since I'd hate to have you brought up on mutiny and murder charges. That would hardly be good for Maud."

Seeing Church glance down at that, he knew the tack he would have to approach things from. "But let's look at things from that perspective, shall we?" he pressed. "You are plainly effective in combat, especially when you think or feel her safety is on the line...but just as plainly you don't take care of yourself in the process." He looked pointedly at Church's cybernetic arm. "We're all out of replacement limbs, after all. How long of that, protecting her alone, would you last?"

"I..." Church began, unsure what to say.

"As you said, she's barely old enough to speak," Flowers confirmed. "She needs to have her Father around a lot longer than that. Which means she needs more protectors than just you, especially with how reckless you are with yourself."

"I...I guess you're right," Church allowed worriedly. "But...who can I ask?"

"Well I count five potential helpers right here in this canyon," Flowers offered warmly.

"Five?" Church asked in confusion. "But there's only the three of us."

"And the three Reds," Flowers confirmed. "And that's the beauty of this plan. Not only does it keep all of us in peak condition and skill to protect Maud, it gives the Reds a chance to get to know her and become as charmed by her as you have...and that after less than a week." More proof to my theory of parental affection being the one 'fragment' still inside you, he added silently. He then continued aloud, "And it would be easy enough to convince Sarge to agree that the Reds will work with us to protect Maud from any threat that isn't Red that comes after her for as long as she needs protection...which will be agreed as when you feel she's ready for guns."

"Well...I guess that all makes sense," Church allowed reluctantly. "But how do we know they'll keep their word?"

"Because according to Sarge, all three of them are abjectly terrified that Maud will play jump rope with their intestines if they break their word," Flowers answered readily. "She's already trying to 'be like Mommy' as far as beating people to death with their own skulls, after all." He glanced around nervously. "Where is she, anyway?"

"With Doc," Church responded readily. "He's trying to figure out what pink means on his medical scanner."

"Well, there you have it," Flowers allowed. "I'd count him as a protector, but he's a strict pacifist. So what do you say?"

"Well...I'll talk to her," Church allowed. "No guarantees."

"All I can ask," Flowers allowed happily. "Let me know what she says."


Maud stared up at her father curiously. He'd taken her aside for a private chat, but hadn't said anything yet. So far, he'd just knelt before her looking like he was struggling with something. "Dad?" she asked worriedly.

"Maud...what do you think of the Reds?" he asked finally.

Maud tilted her head in confusion. "Why?"

"It's...it's important."

Maud thought about the three she'd met who were dubbed 'Red'. One was loud, one was squeaky, and one was heavy set. None had been helpful when she had wound up in Red Base without meaning to, but they had made funny noises when she'd made her demands. They were scared of her. "Is Mom scary?"

"Tex?" Church asked in surprise. "Oh yeah, she's terrifying when she wants to be! But why-"

"The Reds are scared of me," Maud explained simply. "I like that."

Church managed a chuckle. "Well, how would you like it if you could go anywhere you wanted in the canyon?"

"Yes," Maud agreed firmly. She would like that very much.

"Well, there's a way to do that," Church explained. "Would you like to see us using guns?"

"Dad...hurt?" Maud asked, her eyes quivering slightly as she frowned.

"Nope, none of us will get hurt. That's a guarantee."

Maud thought about that for a time. "...I get gun?"

"When you're old enough," Church allowed.

Maud thought some more. "Explain?"

"The Red leader really likes you," Church explained. "He'd like an opportunity to convince you to like him, and the best way he thinks to do that would be a situation where you agreed to spend time in Red Base. But being him, he wants to earn it. So we're going to have a mock battle once a week where nobody dies, and you stay at the Base of the winner until the next battle. If you agree."

"Dad?" Maud demanded insistently.

"I'll make sure it's agreed that we can always see each other," Church promised. "You can make more friends. Besides, as gorgeous as you are now, you might as well get used to guys fighting over you. You're going to have plenty of that when you're growing up."

Maud looked up at him for a time...and a small smile graced her face.

"...yup, just like Tex..." Church murmured idly.

PreviousChapters Next