• Published 16th Aug 2017
  • 15,904 Views, 3,891 Comments

The Rock in the Gulch - Tatsurou



Maud is raised by Church and Blue Team, in Blood Gulch and beyond.

  • ...
26
 3,891
 15,904

PreviousChapters Next
Divided Forces

Once she was certain that everyone was physically sound, Texas spoke up. "Someone needs to keep an eye on Wyoming and figure out what he's up to," she stated firmly. "Tucker, Caboose, Ferdy, you guys head back to base and let everyone know what's happened...and be certain to tell Church that another Freelancer is involved. I want everyone on their guard."

"Blar-blagh blarga!" Ferdy offered helpfully.

"Oh, that's really sweet of you," Tucker responded warmly. "But are you sure it can carry all of us?"

"Blargh!" Ferdy confirmed, giving a gesture that somewhat resembled the human thumbs-up gesture, but looked quite odd given the shape of her hand...claw...gripper...thing.

"Well, that solves that," Texas stated firmly as she activated her cloak. "Get a move on, and don't wait for me." With that, she turned and headed off.

Ferdy, meanwhile, strapped Caboose and Andy to the outside of the Banshee flier, positioned Tucker between herself and the controls, and set the ship to lift off. Caboose squealed happily about how he was flying, while Tucker gave Ferdy directions to the base.

"Are you sure you don't need to get back to your people?" Tucker asked worriedly as the course was set.

"Blar!" Ferdy responded firmly. "Bla-blargl blah...blargle."

"Oh, I guess it wouldn't be 'friendship' to leave us hanging after dragging us along," Tucker allowed, trying - and failing - to hide his relief that they wouldn't be separated. "Guess this means I can show you around Blood Gulch. It's pretty fun there, though rather quiet."

"Blarblagar, blah blargle."

"Well, Maud certainly always liked-wait, our WHAT?"


Church sighed and rubbed his head as he stared across the Gulch, letting the enhanced sensors of his new body track the antics of the Reds. With Omega and Lopez still unaccounted for and any purpose behind heading for the fortress by the beach gone, Sarge had decided it was time to get back to the usual business...arranging the appropriate level of 'superior Love and Snuggles' with which to hire Maud to the Red Team. Church had pointed out that their last attempt had killed Maud's Mother - sort of - but had been brushed off on the evidence that Texas plainly wasn't dead anymore. Sarge's exact words had been, "Screw that noise, she got better! So now it's time to finish hiring away the adorable equine engine of destruction so the Reds can finally decimate the Blue menace once and for all!"

Church had been sorely tempted to pass on what Captain Flowers had told him about the Red and Blue conflict being orchestrated only to give Freelancer Agents - like Texas - real troops to train against. However, doing so would mean either being brushed off as a 'lying sack of blue shiitake mushrooms' or revealing that Flowers was a Freelancer, neither outcome he was really enthusiastic for.

As a result, he was left watching as Sarge beat out a rhythm on a drum to set time for Grif, Simmons, and Donut. They sat around a massive plush effigy of Maud, and at every beat of the drum they declared 'stroke' in unison and brushed the long mane and tail. This was, apparently, supposed to supercharge the plush effigy with concentrated 'love and snuggles', which they would then present to Maud as payment. ...Church wasn't certain whose idea it was, but it was hilarious and keeping the Reds out of trouble, so he was happy to let it happen...even if it was surreal to watch, even for what he'd already experienced.

Noticing Maud approaching, he turned his attention to her. "How are you doing, sweetie?" he asked affectionately.

"Stop that," Maud chided gently. "It doesn't suit either of us."

"Sorry, don't know where that came from," Church apologized awkwardly. "Dunno why, but ever since we went body hopping to hunt down Omega, parenting hasn't been coming as naturally to me. Guess I've been trying to overcompensate."

"Don't," Maud instructed firmly. "Just be you. That's who Dad is."

"I'll keep that in mind," Church agreed thoughtfully. "So how are you doing, Maud?"

"Mom's going to be gone longer than she said," Maud offered morosely, though it only barely showed in her voice. "Her transponder shows her going in a different direction than Caboose and the others."

"Transponder?" Church asked in surprise. "You can track her-I mean, us?"

"I can track everyone," Maud explained calmly. "Ferdy taught me how."

"Who?"

"The alien. She goes by Ferdy now."

"That thing's female?" Church asked in shock.

"Don't call her a thing, Tucker's got a thing for her."

Church stared at Maud silently. "I...I honestly have no idea how to respond to that." He let that turn over in his mind for a time, then pushed it aside. "So...transponders?"

"Not really. I just say that because the terms to explain how I really do it don't exist in our language, and if I used the closest approximations someone's brain would explode."

"So...psychic transponders, then?" Church offered helpfully.

"...let's go with that."

"So Texas is off on her own, the others are on their way back, and the Reds are...now performing a song and dance of the Cuppycake song while snuggling strands of the giant stuffed pony's mane and twirling around it. I honestly don't know whether to compare their behavior to Lord of the Flies, Disney, Mel Brooks, or Lovecraft." He shook his head ruefully. "Somehow I doubt any of those would explain their behavior."

"Go with Lovecraft, at least Cthulhu's supposed to be part-dragon," Maud observed.

"And...how is that supposed to make sense?"

"To someone else."

Church stared blankly into the distance, trying to make sense of what Maud had just said. Eventually, he found there was only one way he could respond. "...can you take care of yourself until the others get here? I think I need to check with Simmons to find out if this body he made me can process alcohol, and if it can I need to hit Grif up for some Mine Booze."

"I can, it can't, but it has a simulator built in," Maud observed thoughtfully.

"Of course it does..."

PreviousChapters Next