• Published 21st Aug 2016
  • 16,809 Views, 5,891 Comments

Dressed to Steal - Tatsurou



Coco Pommel balances being the daughter of Sly Cooper and a member of the Cooper Gang with not disappointing her Law Enforcement mother, Inspector Carmelita Fox.

  • ...
24
 5,891
 16,809

PreviousChapters Next
Monsters and Men

Once Coco was out of hearing range, Sly looked Panda King right in the eye. "You said you'd give me answers?" he asked calmly. "Here's my first one. What did you think would happen when you went after my father that night?"

The Panda King shrugged. "Clockwerk told us the plan was to break both legs and his dominant arm as a message to stay out of our business. It seemed logical at the time. The five of us would be able to overpower him, a Master Thief would never go to the police, and no matter how well the limbs healed he would be out of action for years, if not forever. The Cooper Techniques only work if you have full command of your body, after all. Badly healed old injuries - or fresh ones - would make most of them quite difficult...or so Clockwerk told us."

"Clockwerk?" Sly asked intently.

"The one who gathered us to do it," The Panda King explained. "It was only when we arrived that we discovered his true plan. When he went for Conner with beak and talons rather than other weapons...we knew we had been used." He lifted his head. "And then I made the only choice I could accept...when I saw Conner shove the son we didn't know he had into a closet, a son the same age as my own daughter, Jing. I moved to the closet...and closed it all the way, standing in front of it as I watched what Clockwerk did..."

Sly blinked in shock. He remembered being pushed into the closet, staring out at the shadowy figures that had attacked his father until the door slammed shut on him. He had long thought the shifting of furniture had saved and protected him...

"He did not come to wound, or even to kill," The Panda King continued, his voice sounding ill. "He came to raven..."

Sly's eyes went wide as his face took on a greenish cast. "You mean..."

"Clockwerk is an ancient owl, who has replaced nearly his entire body with metal, keeping himself alive on pure hate," The Panda King continued. "Hate...for the Cooper Clan. Your father was not his enemy...but his prey. And that is how he will see you when he learns of your existence."

"He'll find this prey isn't so helpless," Sly growled, clutching his father's cane tightly.

"Which is why I fought you," The Panda King pointed out. "To be sure that, now that you've entered this world, you will be strong enough to face him." He put one hand over his face wearily. "When I took you to that orphanage, I had hoped I could protect you from this world, as I protected Jing by keeping her out of it."

"You took me to the orphanage?" Sly gasped in shock. He could just barely remember the shadowy figure that had picked him up and packed his things when he'd been found crying in the closet, carried to the orphanage in silence.

"Yes," The Panda King continued. "Chosen carefully. Prosperous enough you'd get three squares each day, but isolated enough that it never entered any news...and close enough to your father's destroyed home that it would be the last place Clockwerk would look for you if he suspected a Cooper Heir had been hidden from him. When I reached there, I saw two other children being dropped off there in your age group...a turtle and a hippo. I placed you with them in the hopes you would also find friends, and in that way seek normality, and then faded into the shadows." He chuckled softly. "Imagine my surprise when years later I learned that not only had you instead brought them into this world...but that you were able to meet Seft in battle without the skills of your legacy. Truly, you have grown strong."

"I owe that to my friends and family," Sly stated firmly, thinking on Coco, Bentley, Murray, memories of his father, and...

"And the Inspector?" The Panda King asked teasingly. "That hut is in direct line from my telescope. Quite an...energetic warm up." He gave a paternally evil chuckle as Sly's cheeks turned red. "Oh, to be young and in love again. I remember what it was like when I first met Jing's mother...oh what a whirlwind..."

"So that's everything then?" Sly asked quickly, trying to get past the embarrassing situation.

"Yes, that is everything," The Panda King concluded. "You will find Clockwerk in the Krack-Karov Volcano in Russia. Now that I know how strong you have become, I can give you this knowledge freely. Good luck. You will need it to purge this monster from the world."

"You've seen my daughter," Sly responded readily. "You've seen my Gang. And you've seen Coco's mother." He smirked cheekily. "A good deal of her, at that, from what you've said. I think good luck is something I have in great supply."

"Pray it hasn't run out," The Panda King concluded as Sly left, sitting back to wait for the Inspector to come arrest him.


Dad never told me what happened during that conversation with The Panda King - or TPK, as I came to think of him - but he seemed more pleasantly disposed towards him after that. He also knew exactly where to go next, but he felt a trip home to plan and collect our thoughts and recover our energy would be a good idea first.

It was just after we got home that I asked Dad about what he and Mommy were doing in that little hut on the snowy mountain that they had to take their clothes off. That led to a different side trip...


(1)

Carmelita groaned as she dropped her jacket over her chair and flopped into it. Processing The Panda King had been exhausting, physically and mentally. Not only had there been more legal loopholes to jump through than she'd thought even to get him locked up - in the same wing Muggshot and Mz. Ruby were locked up in, since Coco had recommended all three of them as redeemable - just dealing with those involved had been frustrating. On top of that, The Panda King had kept shooting her knowing, paternal smirks. When she'd finally demanded to know what he found so funny as he was leaving her custody, all he'd said was, "Telescopes on mountaintops spy many windows."

She was very, very glad her shift had ended immediately after. She was going to kill Sly for not closing those curtains...

A knock at her door drew her attention. Groaning, she got to her feet and went. Opening the door, she was surprised as Sly shoved Coco into her arms.

"You need to give her the birds and the bees talk!" he said quickly before leaping off the building and swinging away.

Coco looked up at Caremlita with a warm, loving, confused smile. "What does he mean by that, Mommy? I didn't see any birds or bees in the hut back on the mountain..."

Carmelita felt her cheeks color yet again. God damn you, ringtail... she growled silently.



(1) This scene inspired by Kenshinryuu

PreviousChapters Next