• Published 21st Aug 2016
  • 16,805 Views, 5,891 Comments

Dressed to Steal - Tatsurou



Coco Pommel balances being the daughter of Sly Cooper and a member of the Cooper Gang with not disappointing her Law Enforcement mother, Inspector Carmelita Fox.

  • ...
24
 5,891
 16,805

PreviousChapters Next
Voodoo Hoodoo

Following around the outside of the cauldron, the next area Sly and Coco came to had a strange vehicle in front of it. Hopping on, Sly guided it into the area as Bentley gave him a rundown. "That vehicle seems to be outfitted with some sort of high energy cannon. Use it to blast your way through to the Treasure Key. I'm not picking up any Vault in this area, though."

"Then we'll just blast our way to the key," Sly stated firmly, steering along the narrow wooden bridge and blasting their way forward.

Before long, they ended up on a moving wooden platform that floated slowly forward through the swamp. As it floated, more panther ghosts attacked them from gravestones until both ghosts and gravestones were blasted apart by the energy cannon. Once off the platform and moving over solid ground, they split the controls between them with Coco controlling the gun orientation and Sly steering. Between that and Coco's salted needles, they were able to make their way through without problems, and acquire the sixth Treasure Key.


The last Treasure Key was hidden in a granary of some sort, and Bentley had found a way to get it. "A panther ghost has the last Treasure Key, and he's willing to trade it for 50 dead chickens. He wants to make a big pot of gumbo, but he's scared of the bomb toting roosters."

"That seems...oddly convoluted," Coco murmured softly.

"Well, we have to play his rules," Bentley explained. "With the Key in his possession, if you hit him with a salt needle, the Key will vanish along with him."

"Well, we'll just have to start a big cookout, then," Sly concluded, leaping into the granary area.

"We'll go faster if we split up," Coco added, leaping off his shoulders.

The team up worked incredibly well, allowing them to whack and gather the chickens twice as fast, and Coco's stun needles left the roosters out cold until their own bombs destroyed them. Once they'd gathered the 50 chickens, the ghost dropped the final Key for them, allowing them to leave the area.


With all seven Keys in their possession, Sly and Coco unlocked the controls on the cauldron mechanism, allowing them to get to the center. Dropping onto the cap, they pressed it down until the pressure built up enough pressure to launch them into the skull temple. As they arrived, Mz. Ruby stared out at them as she swayed back and forth, her mystic energy gathered around her body. "Ah, so that's the power not of this world, Cooper. I have to say, I never expected her to be so small and adorable. Wonder just how much power she has?"

Coco narrowed her eyes as she drew her cane. "Why don't you try me and find out."

"Oh I intend to little chile," Mz. Ruby responded readily. "Let's see what the pair of you are made of."

Sly quickly made his way forward across tooth-shaped platforms, leaping from molar to incisor to molar, making sure to be off the incisor-shaped spires before the roof slammed down and the matching points directly above crushed the pair. Once they were across, Mz. Ruby slammed her tail into the ground, trying to take the pair out with shockwaves, only for Sly to strike said tail with his cane, forcing her to teleport away across a swampy area.

"You can't run away forever!" Sly shouted out angrily.

"Oh, I don't intend to," Mz. Ruby responded. She gestured to a small turtle at the edge of the swamp. "My servant Chumley will carry you across. Course, while that's happening...we're gonna play a little memory game. Let's see if you've got what it takes to handle a little magic. Repeat my movements exactly, and you won't die."

Frowning, Sly hopped onto the turtle's back, letting it carry him slowly forward. As it moved, Mz. Ruby threw off several blasts of magic, each one a different color and in a different position. As they approached however, Coco's eyes narrowed.

She could see the spheres flying towards her, focused to a single point. Something inside her mind clicked as ideas came together. The Water Bounce technique...Spire Jump...Magic... Putting them together, she leapt.

Before Sly and Mz. Ruby's startled eyes, Coco landed on the first sphere of magic before kicking off, sending the blast spiraling into the wall. She then landed on the second blast, kicking off it almost immediately before landing on the third, kicking it into the water as she finished the leap sequence to land at Mz. Ruby's feet, her hooves glowing from the magic technique she had instinctively crafted from the Cooper skills she'd memorized. Mz. Ruby could only stare as Coco whipped out her cane and struck, impacting the croc's belly and triggering her evac teleport to the next platform.

"How...?" Mz. Ruby started to say, only for a ripping sound in the air to cut her off as one of Coco's needles parted Mz. Ruby's hair, thunking into the wall behind her.

"You were part of the group that killed my grandfather, right in front of Dad's eyes," Coco stated bluntly. "You can surrender now, or the next one goes between your eyes."

Mz. Ruby's eyes widened, her hands going to her mouth. "He...he was there? Oh good lord..." To the surprise of both Sly and Coco...Mz. Ruby burst into tears.

"Uh..." Sly began, unsure what to say now.

"I had no hand in his death, Cooper," Mz. Ruby quickly offered. "None of us did. Not Raleigh, not Muggshot, not me, and not the Panda King. That...that beast that gathered us told us we were just going to take him out of the game. But then we busted in and he...he..." Mz. Ruby shuddered. "Cooper, I hope you didn't see what that beast did to your old man...or to his body."

"I didn't see details," Sly responded softly.

"Be glad you did not," Mz. Ruby continued. "And little lady, I...I wish I'd known ya when I was younger. I'd never have turned my magic to crime...if I hadn't been so alone. My folks...they could use magic, but they didn't have the gift, not like I do...but even my gift is nothing compared ta yours. I'm...I'm not alone no more..."

Sly and Coco exchanged glances, unsure what to say now.

"I know the weight on my juju is bad," Mz. Ruby continued. "But seeing you, chile..." Her eyes locked on Coco. "I can see the shining light of you if you reach your full potential. I can see what it'll do to the world..." She shook her head. "If I can give just a little help to get you closer to that...I can face what's coming to me with a smile. My vault's over there...and my spellbook's in it, too. You take it, little lady."

Sly glanced towards Coco, deciding to leave it to her whether or not to trust Mz. Ruby.

Coco stroked her chin. "My Mom, Inspector Carmelita Fox, should be here before long. Once she arrives, surrender to her and confess everything. Don't ask for any deals. Do that...and I know I'll be able to trust any magic instruction I might come to you for once you're out."

"Will do, chile," Mz. Ruby promised.

"Swear an oath," Sly spoke up. "One we can be sure you won't break."

Mz. Ruby smiled. "In my scrying of magic, I came across an oath none would dare break." Lifting one claw, she began to make motions over her chest and face. "Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye."

Sly frowned. "I don't-"

"Alright," Coco responded immediately. At Sly's confused glance, she shrugged. "I don't know why...but we can trust that oath."

Mz. Ruby smiled. "I'll just head for the entrance to make things easier for your Mama, shall I?" With that, she dove into the swamp and began to swim towards the edge.


Mz. Ruby kept her word. She swam straight to the edge of the swamp and turned herself in when Mom arrived. Her vault not only contained her spellbook, but the pages of the Thievius Raccoonus that covered Slytunkahmen Cooper's invisibility technique, which could allow us to fade from sight completely just by standing still.

It would be a while before I could master everything in the spellbook, so I put it away for after we recovered the Thievius Raccoonus. I'd have plenty of time to peruse it later. In the meantime, we were off to the Kumlun Mountains in western China, to confront the Panda King.

PreviousChapters Next