• Published 21st Aug 2016
  • 16,806 Views, 5,891 Comments

Dressed to Steal - Tatsurou



Coco Pommel balances being the daughter of Sly Cooper and a member of the Cooper Gang with not disappointing her Law Enforcement mother, Inspector Carmelita Fox.

  • ...
24
 5,891
 16,806

PreviousChapters Next
Hellfire

It didn't take long for Mom to give me 'The Talk'. In fact, it took longer to explain why it was called that than to give it. As Mom explained, all creatures had a biological imperative to breed that kicked in when they reached physical maturity. In 'base animals', this caused no problems as there were no conflicting mental imperatives to get in the way of instinct. With sapients, civilized thought caused problems, and the results could be unpredictable. Individuals found themselves drawn to the opposite sex, or the same sex, the same species or different species (Mom and Dad were a plain example of that last part), and lots of people had lots of opinions on all that. Mom thought most of the 'debate' was stupid, and said I should never get involved in it. In her opinion, as long as all parties involved were capable of informed consent - which to her meant 'of legal age' - she didn't care what they got up to as long as all parties involved had given said informed consent. She didn't consider it her business.

She promised that when I actually began developing those imperatives, she'd talk me through it and help me with all 'feminine issues' that developed...and that I was to tell Dad all about them, with every last gruesome detail as it happened. Given how Mom had reacted when Dad ran from giving me The Talk, I get the feeling this was meant as revenge.

After going back to Dad's place for a few good nights' sleep, we set course for the Krack-Karov Volcano in Russia. On the way there, Dad noticed a silhouette of an owl in the images included in the Thievius Raccoonus pages we'd recovered. He concluded this was Clockwerk...and that he was going to be a very dangerous foe...


As they reached the road up to Clockwerk's Fortress, Sly uncharacteristically insisted on taking the roof mounted guns to clear the path for the van, shooting out locked doors, mines, and incoming projectiles alike. "But Dad!" Coco complained. "I'm the better shot!"

"And the smaller target," Sly countered, "so I don't want you exposed to Clockwerk until we're good and ready, understand?"

Coco sighed as she settled back into her seat. "Alright..."

Once they passed the mines, an owl-shaped tower became visible in the distance. Everyone instantly knew Clockwerk would be there, and no one bothered saying anything. Sly focused the weapons fire on the robo-falcons that dove in to attack, along with falling rocks when it was revealed that the eyes of the tower contained a death ray that was being used to attempt to crush them in a rockslide.

As they finally reached the end of the path, it was apparent that Clockwerk was that second most dangerous of foes, well prepared...and could be that most dangerous of foes, competent.


In the next area, they came across yet another obstacle they needed to deal with before they could even get out of the van. 120 computers hung from the ceiling of the large cavern they entered, and they needed to destroy sixty of them for Bentley to collect enough data to unlock the far door. At the same time, fire slugs - creatures seemingly composed of living magma - attempted to consume the computers before they could crush them and collect the data.

Surprisingly, Coco's new Flame Fu skills proved useful, as she was able to draw the fire out of the slugs - drastically slowing them down - and funnel it into the van's nitro system for extra speed if she was careful. This made this particular obstacle far less frustrating than it could have been, and they were able to pass through the security gate with ease.

As they passed, they entered the control center for the tower death ray. A long path almost covered in deadly spotlights and booby trapped with dart guns led up to a glass chamber...where Carmelita was trapped.

"Mommy!" Coco gasped out in fear. Sly's eyes narrowed angrily.

"Coco, stick close to me," he instructed firmly, quickly tracking a path. Nodding, Coco hopped to his back as he leapt forward.

The very security systems guarding the path provided Sly with the path to get to a barrel that would protect the pair of them from the darts, allowing them to make it to the chamber where the capsule Carmelita was trapped in was contained. As soon as they stepped inside, however, a glass wall slammed shut behind them, and green gas began pouring in.

Clockwerk's metallic visage appeared on screens all around the chamber as a dark chuckle echoed. "Sentimental fools," Clockwerk growled out in a cultured voice marred by cold fury. "Empathy has always been the downfall of the Cooper Clan. Had your father been more concerned with his own well being than yours that day, he would have been able to trounce all five of us. If you were willing to leave this woman to her fate, you would have stood a chance against me. Instead, all of you - like your father before you - will be nothing but food for my-" Clockwerk stopped. "What...?"

The reason for his change in behavior quickly became apparent as both Sly and Carmelita found themselves in a bubble of clean air. Coco stood between them, eyes closed in concentration as energy flowed out of her hooves, into the metal floor, and back up to coalesce around them. "Probably...should have read this page of the book...more carefully..." she whimpered as she struggled to hold it. "Uncle Bentley...Uncle Murray...hurry..."

Clockwerk snarled in fury. "You Coopers always have had the devil's own luck...but today the cost for that is due-"

The gas vents shut down. "Get going, guys!" Bentley shouted through the Binoc-U-Coms. "Take this guy down hard!"

Clockwerk snarled as his screens cut out. Sly looked up at Carmelita. "What were you thinking coming here?" he demanded, his voice torn between anger, worry, and relief.

"You really expect me to let my daughter face the devil himself without me?" Carmelita demanded firmly. "At this point, I practically have you for child endangerment just for bringing her here." Though her gaze was firm, there was no true rancor in her tone.

Sly shook his head. "You are incorrigible..."

"Family trait," Carmelita countered with a smirk, ruffling Coco's mane.

Managing a warm smile, Sly led the way forward once Carmelita blasted out the back wall of the chamber.

PreviousChapters Next