• Published 21st Aug 2016
  • 16,774 Views, 5,891 Comments

Dressed to Steal - Tatsurou



Coco Pommel balances being the daughter of Sly Cooper and a member of the Cooper Gang with not disappointing her Law Enforcement mother, Inspector Carmelita Fox.

  • ...
24
 5,891
 16,774

PreviousChapters Next
Lost: Gathering

Coco stared up at Hades, the Greek God of the Underworld, as he swayed gently back and forth, his body alternately seeming to give off light or suck it right out of the air. After her magic lessons with Mrs. Ruby and her experience with the Dreamtime, Coco had studied up on various mythos on the off chance they had more reality to them than the modern world believed...and on the off chance she'd encounter them. Of all the Greek Gods, she knew Hades was the most...reasonable of the lot. He made his rules and he played by them, he put his duty before his desires, he didn't screw around with mortals or sleep around with them, and if he gave his word he stuck by it. To her lights, if she was to encounter one of the Greek Gods, he was the best one to encounter.

Then again, he was also the God of the Afterlife, and when he did hold grudges he tended to wait until you were firmly in his domain before doing something about it, at which point you had all of eternity to regret crossing him...and he could be fiendishly creative when it came to said punishments. Not only that, of all the Gods he was one who had the least remorse when it came to his firm decisions. While he was the most fair and even-handed of the Greek Gods...it was with a cold-blooded practicality. He didn't get emotional when it came to his dealings with mortals...at least, not until after he wedded Persephone and his love for her led him to understand such things better. She was the one that brought out his mercy.

And this was a young Hades. He hadn't fallen for Persephone yet, hadn't wed her by whatever myth about that would prove accurate, and hadn't come to empathize with mortals yet. Not only that, Wadj-Wer's comment about the Young Gods 'growing out' of the attitudes they showed in the myths...suggested the possibility that a young Hades hadn't 'grown into' such an attitude, and might still be in the 'cruel, callous, self-centered' phase the other gods were stuck in for the entirety of their myths and legends.

"Issss thisss what passsesss for mannersss in the Birth Landssss now?" Hades asked coldly. "You have my name...but I lack yoursss..."

Coco swallowed nervously. Whatever happened, she dare not cross this god. "Forgive me, Lord Hades," she offered meekly. "I have heard of you before, and realizing I was actually in your presence...unseated my reason for a time. I am Coco Pommel Cooper-Fox-"

"Ahhh..." Hades interrupted, his eyes lighting up briefly in interest. "I wondered when your path and mine would crosssss. How fortuitousss that it isss sssso ssssoon. What bringsss you to our landssss, young one?"

Coco did her best to calm herself. Well, so far so good, she thought silently. He's interested. Clearing her throat, she spoke up. "I come at the behest of Wadjet, to retrieve Adamantine and Orichalcum Ore, in order to forge weapons to slay a Fell God. I..." She hesitated. What she would say next was greatly daring, and likely a little too far...but if she didn't say it, she might be too late from searching or get in trouble. "...I understand you might know of where I might find the first?"

"You are correct," Hades confirmed. "The Adamantine minessss are in my territory, under my direct control. The material issss required for the Gatessss."

Coco couldn't prevent herself from swallowing nervously again. This next part would be especially hazardous, for reasons completely unrelated to the prior questions. "Might I prevail upon you to part with some?" she asked hopefully.

"That dependsss..." Hades allowed thoughtfully. "What'ssss in it for me?"

Coco blinked in surprise. While she had expected that Hades would want some form of compensation or reparation for granting her access to his resources, she hadn't expected him to be so...blunt about it. "If...if Seft is not stopped, Set could awaken...and Apep could be unleashed. Wouldn't that...destroy this land as well?"

"Not my problem," Hades allowed. "The Gatesss will be completed well before then, which will make the Land of the Dead a sssseparate layer of exisssstence, one unaffected by the dessstruction of thissss world. I merely need sssslip in and watch the fireworkssss." He lowered his head to stoop over Coco. "And no, I don't care about the other Godssss here. My ssssiblingsss are all undergrown assssessss who think reality revolvesss around them. I couldn't give two shedssss about what happensss to them. And even if Apep is unleashed, Wadjet will sssurvive to guard the next River of Time and Divine River, to mother the next ssset of Godsss...and she'sss the only God of the Birth Landsss I know, let alone care about."

Coco felt herself pale under her coat, despite how pale her coat already made her appear. "I...I see..." she stammered out.

"But it mattersss to you if thissss world endsss..." Hades hissed out smugly. "And you need the Adamantine to prevent it. Sssso the quessstion becomesss...how far are you willing to go to get it? What issss the sssalvation of thisss world and your family worth to you?" His smile turned...lascivious.

Coco cleared her throat and swallowed. Dealing with Greek Gods, she had half expected something like this. She had hoped she would be able to avoid it, or find a way around it...but she'd already decided what she would say if she couldn't. "...Lord Hades...I offer you whatever you desire of me in exchange for what I need for my quest. But name it, and...if it is within my power, I shall give it freely."

Hades' smile widened. "I dessssire..."

The tip of his tail swung up and around, depositing a book in front of Coco. On the front cover was an image of Sly, his cane hooked around a power line above the dark Paris streets as he slid down it like a zip line, with Coco hooked onto a red band around his leg by her own cane.

"...your autograph."

Coco stared at the book, her eyes and jaw widening as she struggled to comprehend what just happened. She then looked from the book to Hades and back again, before looking back up at Hades. "Uh...?"

"I wassss a mossst obedient child while being reared by Wadjet," Hades explained softly. "Well behaved and curiousss...I asssked her about her dutiesss, about time...she looked through time for bedtime sssstoriesss for me. Yoursss was alwaysss my favorite. Such gentle compassion, fierce loyalty, ssstaunch moralsss...and hidden within, the dephtssss of cruelty. I will have to come up with punishmentsss for thossse whossse sssoulsss are weighed down by ssssin...and yoursss were fiendishly clever. Given Clock-La her dream, only for it to be an eternal nightmare...dropping Contessssa to the Golemsss where she thought she would die brutally...only to leave her trapped in their grassssp asss she did not know if or when they would begin the torment, ssso that she welcomesss imprisssonment by mere mortalsss once freed..." He let out a hiss of excitement. "Insssspiring...mortals are ssso much more...creative than Godssss..."

Coco continued to stare up at him as she flipped the book open. "You...you made me think...you let me think...you wanted..."

Hades' grin widened even further. "Asss you sssaid in Parisss...it isss important to know thessse thingsss about ourssselvesss...about how far one will go in the right circumssstancesss..."

"You..." Coco struggled against what she was about to say for fear of giving offense, even as she signed the book. "You utter troll!"

"Deliberately misssrepresssenting myssself to force unexpected and entertaining reactionsss from othersss that reveal more of them than I?" Hades asked teasingly. "Quite a fun way of being, I should ssssay. I am csssertain one of my manifessstationsss will fully embrace that." As he turned, for a brief moment a different Hades was superimposed onto him, a human-shaped one filled with dark purples, bright greens, and a cape that flowed like blood or miasma. Then the serpent was back. "Come...I have both Adamantine and Orichalcum sssstoresss. I shall even give you a little extra of each, as a treat for your little robot friend since he likes eating unique metalssss."

Breathing a sigh of relief and shaking her head in bemused exasperation, Coco followed Hades into the woods towards his domain. She knew now she was safe with him...physically, anyway. No telling what mental state she'd be in if he kept this up, though.

PreviousChapters Next