• Published 21st Aug 2016
  • 16,803 Views, 5,891 Comments

Dressed to Steal - Tatsurou



Coco Pommel balances being the daughter of Sly Cooper and a member of the Cooper Gang with not disappointing her Law Enforcement mother, Inspector Carmelita Fox.

  • ...
24
 5,891
 16,803

PreviousChapters Next
Training With Mommy

Of course, I learned just as much from Mommy as I did from Daddy and my Uncles. She seemed bound and determined to 'counteract' their influence as much as possible, to raise me up as skilled law enforcement. At first, she'd thought about strict lessons...but she quickly saw I was simply not emotionally equipped to handle that. Instead, she took a different approach, figuring out what my skills were, and turning that into a way to teach me crime fighting skills. Course, most of those could easily be adapted to crime skills...


Carmelita smiled down at Coco as they sat together in her apartment, going over some pictures she'd prepared to teach Coco some investigative skills. "Do you think you have it?" she asked softly.

Coco nodded. "I think I'm ready!" she agreed. She loved this game.

Smiling, Carmelita put the picture away and pulled out one that seemed identical at first glance. "Alright. What's different?"

Coco took the picture in her hooves and examined it carefully. "Hmm...wasn't this green before?" she asked, pointing to a small logo on a shirt one of the people in the picture was wearing.

"Was it?" Carmelita asked carefully, holding up a scorepad and pencil.

Coco thought about it for a time. "...yes, yes it was," Coco stated firmly. "And...this light was yellow before. And this sign was in English before, now it's in Irish." She looked at the picture for a time, pointing out several other remembered differences.

Carmelita smiled as she marked them down, seeing that she was getting all of them. However, as she reached the last one on her list, she asked, "Anything else?" After all, the mind could easily trick an observer if they thought there were more differences.

Coco examined the picture for a time. "Hmm...I don't think..." She hesitated, then turned the paper over. "Was this printed on a different printer than the original? The paper feels different, and there's a different smell to the ink."

Carmelita felt her jaw drop. She had fully expected Coco's senses to be a bit more acute than those of herself and others from this world. It was only natural, considering her body structure marked her as being closer to nature, more 'feral' in a way, like the wild animals she'd encountered before. Civilization brought a trade off of slightly deadened senses and weaker instincts, though it seemed Coco's race had a better trade if she was able to distinguish that much. The picture had in fact been printed on a different machine, as the first one had run out of colored ink and it had been easier to send the job to a different machine than futz with replacing the cartridge. She hadn't planned on testing that, however. "Indeed it was," she confirmed, deciding to mark it down as a bonus point. "Very good, Coco."

Coco grinned widely as she examined the sheet a bit more. "Umm...I don't think there are any others..." Hesitantly, she handed the sheet back. "I think I'm done. H-how'd I do?"

Carmelita smiled widely as she pulled Coco into a tight hug. "You did flawlessly, Coco. I'm very proud of you." Coco's grin at the praise split her face, and she nuzzled into the embrace. "So, what would you like to do next?"

Coco fidgeted a bit. "Umm...can we sew?" she asked hopefully.

Carmelita blinked in surprise. She'd introduced Coco to sewing mostly because she'd been altering some of her own clothes to fit her so that Coco could wear something other than Sly's usual colors. Much to her surprise, the little pony had discovered an absolute passion for it, especially when it came to making outfits. "You really like sewing, don't you?" she asked warmly.

"More than target practice..." Coco whimpered softly. "I can't hold it right..."

Carmelita couldn't stop her sigh. She'd tried to teach Coco marksmanship, but without fingers she had trouble manipulating traditional gun grips. Even toy guns weren't viable, as their grips were all standardized. Carmelita had since been debating whether to shell out the cash to make customized grips for hooves of both live weapons and toy guns, or asking Coco to get Bentley to do it. Doing it herself meant there was no chance of illegality about it, but getting Bentley to do it meant there would be no record of it, which was better for Coco. Beyond that, she didn't actually have that much ready cash, which was why she'd been altering her old clothes rather than buying new ones. "Alright," she responded warmly finally. "Let's see what you make today."

Coco squealed happily, reaching into the bags hanging off her sides - Carmelita disliked referring to them as saddlebags, even if that's exactly what they were - and pulled out her sewing kit, eager to see what project Carmelita had for her. Carmelita, for her part, pulled out several old clothes of hers that needed repairs or modifications.

While Carmelita had been somewhat hesitant to spend so much of her own time sitting around sewing, Coco's enthusiasm had swept her up. She wasn't as good as Coco at it, but she found a sort of relaxing domesticity in it. Sitting there with her little girl in her lap as they sewed together, she found herself shifting idly back and forth in her chair, imitating the motion of a rocking chair. It was...peaceful. There were very few things in her life that were peaceful.

After a time, Coco set down the project she'd been working on. "There!" she said happily, putting thread and needles away and reaching for scissors.

"What have you got there?" Carmelita asked curiously.

"I tried needlepoint!" Coco proclaimed happily. "Like it Mommy?"

Carmelita looked over the needlepoint design. It was a warm scene of the inside of a cabin, with a fire burning beneath a chimney. Details were vague, as Coco had only so much material to work with in terms of space, but certain shapes were readily recognizable. An orange shape in the rocking chair was obviously Carmelita herself, with a cream Coco in her lap. What caught Carmelita off guard was the grey and blue shape beside the chair could only be Sly from the shape of the cane he was resting on, and the pink and green shapes at the table were thus readily recognizable as Murray and Bentley, respectively.

Carmelita struggled to find a way to respond to this, only to be distracted as she heard a familiar buzzing. Looking up, she spotted a mosquito buzzing around the apartment. "Damn," she muttered under her breath, reaching for a rolled up newspaper. The last thing she wanted to find out was if Coco had the proper immunities for the world by letting her get bit.

She heard a swish in the air, and before her very eyes the mosquito became pinned to the ceiling by a sewing needle. Turning, she saw Coco lowering her hoof. "Don't like bugs," she murmured softly.

Carmelita brought her hand up to her chin. "Hmm..."


After that, Mommy started off training me with thrown weapons. Worked much better for me than trying to adapt a gun to my hooves, and just as effective as a stun cannon when using short needles dipped in a knock out agent. She was so proud of me...

PreviousChapters Next