• Published 21st Aug 2016
  • 16,805 Views, 5,891 Comments

Dressed to Steal - Tatsurou



Coco Pommel balances being the daughter of Sly Cooper and a member of the Cooper Gang with not disappointing her Law Enforcement mother, Inspector Carmelita Fox.

  • ...
24
 5,891
 16,805

PreviousChapters Next
Gathering: Take 18

The plan worked almost disgustingly well, mostly because we were able to time the assault for a moment when Magica De Spell was out of her volcano base leading some conjured goons in seizing resources she had need of. We were able to crash the ship into the magma, and ride the shockwave out with Felicia easily. She seems to be similarly minded as far as adventure to myself, Gosalyn, and the Duckberg triplets.

However, our end of the plan hit an unexpected snag. Apparently, DW's cape wasn't quite as sturdy as he believed it to be...


Gosalyn, Coco, and Felicia held one of the three corners of the cape, with Gosalyn clutching the neck with her hands while Coco and Felicia each clutched one of the bottom corners in their teeth, slowly riding the hot air down towards the water. Everything seemed to be working out perfectly as they slowly floated down.

Then a spiraling ember from the magmatic explosion fluttered down onto the top of the cape, burning a hole through it that set the trio to plummeting far too fast.

"What now?" Gosalyn demanded fearfully. "We're going too fast to hit land or water safely with a toddler!"

"Slight change of plans!" Coco spoke up after shifting her grip on the corner of the cape, hoping one hoof would be enough to maintain the grip. "Here's hoping this works!" Swinging the Staff of Moonfire over, she pressed it against Felicia's charm collar before swinging it down towards the water. As she'd hoped, a sphere of magic shot into the water below. "I hope that did what I wanted it to-"

A sudden plume of water shot up beneath them, gently wrapping around the trio and slowing their descent as Mrs. Ruby rose out of it, catching the trio on her belly as she wrapped little Felicia in her arms. "Ah, my little chile, you're safe now! Mama's got you!" She snuggled the child happily, the picture of motherly joy as she slowly descended with the group back into the water.

Gosalyn managed to surface easily, quickly supporting Coco as she struggled in the water...only for the effort to quickly prove superfluous as Mrs. Ruby's tail lifted them both out of the water.

"Coco! You came and save mah little girl!" She quickly pulled Coco into a tight hug. "What ever were ya doin' here in St. Canard, anyway? Ah see ya made friends with Darkwing's little sidekick."

Coco smiled. "Bumped into Muggshot in Holland," Coco explained. "He mentioned you were here, so we came and looked you up. Didn't really like Magica, though."

"Ah yes, that old hag..." Mrs. Ruby's eyes narrowed darkly. With a quick lash of her tail, a huge lily pad took shape, where she set the trio down. "Excuse me a moment..." Turning to the artificial volcano, she slammed her hands down on the side of it and shouted something in a language Coco didn't know.

The volcano began to shake and crumble...and then explode outward, sending hunks of rock all across the bay, leaving only a solid piece of land with a hole in the middle. Sly, Darkwing, Murray, and Launchpad stood there, staring around in shock. "Well...that's one way for a plan to go all to pieces," Launchpad observed idly, chuckling slightly.


With Magica's base destroyed and Mrs. Ruby's support withdrawn, her chances of overthrowing Morgana were completely wiped out. We were free to leave the city without further activity. Much to our surprise, Mrs. Ruby was bound and determined to pay us back for saving Felicia. While Darkwing refused any such repayment - apparently, he'd be getting all he needed from Morgana later, according to Gosalyn - Uncle Bentley did point out that the mission to the Cooper Vault did call for an underwater specialist...

Mrs. Ruby and Guru quickly began an intense discussion regarding what happened to me in Australia. I quickly decided I wasn't really eager to listen, and instead made my way to a rooftop to think. I had something important on my mind...

...and some unexpected company...


Finding the vantage point she was looking for, Coco settled down with cane in hooves to stare out across the city, looking right at the Mallard residence where it sat innocuously in the residential district. No one would guess it was the home of St. Canard's most infamous, most successful super hero...unless they had half a brain.

"I don't get it," she murmured finally. "I mean...I'm happy they're okay and no one's tried to attack them...but why not? It's so obvious! Are the villains in this city just that stupid? Or...is there something I'm missing?"

"I can fill in the pieces if you want," a dark, menacing voice echoed over the rooftop.

Coco spun around, instinct calling the Mask of Dark Earth and the Staff of Moonfire to her for protection. Standing in the middle of the rooftop was a duck who could easily pass as Darkwing's brother, garbed in a yellow outfit with a red hat. With the way the light shone on him, his outfit took on a slight orange tinge. She shivered in fear, realizing this was the one Scrooge had warned her about...and she'd managed to deduce his name. "...Negaduck..."

Negaduck grinned widely. "Well, well, well...my reputation precedes me, despite all the effort I went to to ensure it didn't. I'm impressed." He slowly walked forward, pausing when Coco lifted her Staff defensively. "Oh, put those away. I'm not here to hurt you...this time." He suddenly pulled a chainsaw out of nowhere. "Not that you could stop me if I wanted to, could you?"

Coco felt true fear grip her heart. She could see the magical aura linking Negaduck and his weapon. While most would only see a chainsaw, and those with some connection to magic could sense it was more than just metal, through the eyes of the Mask of Dark Earth Coco could recognize the weapon for what it was...a Reaper's Scythe. And it was bound to Negaduck.

"I'm so glad we understand each other," Negaduck chuckled darkly. He moved to the edge of the rooftop. "But like I said, I'm not here to hurt you. I'm here to answer questions. You were wondering why Darkwing and his little family have never been attacked in their home, what's been protecting them." He turned and smirked at her. "You're looking at him."

Coco blinked, stunned. "Ex...cuse me?"

"I knew from the moment I faced off against Darkwing the first time that he was Drake Mallard," Negaduck explained. "Knew where he lived, knew who his family was, knew who his friends were. After all...the same all applies to me. In another timeline, I'm what he would have become. And now I intend to take this city, and my cruel legend will eclipse his dark one."

"Then why not go after Drake Mallard?" Coco asked curiously.

"Because killing Drake Mallard would mean nothing," Negaduck responded flatly. "He's a civilian. I can kill hundreds of civilians. No, I intend to kill Darkwing, kill the legend, and thus eclipse it. Which is why I make sure no one ever tries to unmask him...and no one targets that family. All the criminals in town know not to cross me, and attacking that family is - for some reason they don't know - something that will make me very, very cross." He grinned wickedly. "So they're safe in their home, free to run away from me whenever they want...because whenever the masks go on, I will hunt them down. So be careful of masks...they're often worth more to those like me than the one wearing it." With that, he let himself fall backwards off the rooftop.

Coco rushed to the edge, only to see no sign of him. A terrified whimper barely escaped her throat as she dashed madly back to the hideout.


...I had nightmares about that guy for the entire trip to look up The Panda King, who Uncle Bentley picked to be our ballistics expert for the job...

PreviousChapters Next