• Published 21st Aug 2016
  • 16,806 Views, 5,891 Comments

Dressed to Steal - Tatsurou



Coco Pommel balances being the daughter of Sly Cooper and a member of the Cooper Gang with not disappointing her Law Enforcement mother, Inspector Carmelita Fox.

  • ...
24
 5,891
 16,806

PreviousChapters Next
Gathering: Take 20

Once we tracked down General Tsao's compound, we began making a plan of attack. Tsao apparently planned on forcing the wedding at the end of the week, so we had to work fast. Uncle Bentley intended to be our inside man by getting hired - in disguise - as Tsao's wedding planner. Meanwhile Dad and I were handling a break in on a security station. Uncle Bentley was at first worried about us handling it without him, but Deik-Beck was more than up to the task of handling the tech.


The two of us working together to get the keys simplified things immensely. The two guards with the keys we needed were in constant radio contact, and the keys had a self destruct feature. If one of the guards learned the other's key had been stolen, they'd destroy their key. I let Dad steal his key first, while I followed the other guard around. As soon as he started reacting to his radio - showing Dad had swiped his key - I hit him with a knock out needle before filching his key. After that, I met up with Dad at the facility.


Once the double padlock was unlocked, Sly, Coco, and Deik-Beck made their way into the building. The first entrance was blocked by a laser security grid. "Looks like it's up to you, Deik-Beck," Coco whispered softly.

"Beep!" Deik-Beck piped up before sending out a cable to drag himself to a pillar. He then spread tiny hummingbird-style wings to buzz around the room, using knock-out needles and hook cables to shift unconscious guards onto pressure plates to open paths forward. Reaching the computer terminal, it was a matter of moments to hack in and copy everything inside. He then buzzed quickly back to Coco. "Job done!" he squeaked out happily.

"Then let's get back to base," Sly stated firmly.


By the time we got back, Uncle Bentley and Uncle Murray had gotten back as well, both with news good and bad. Uncle Bentley had not only managed to be hired on as wedding planner, but possible ways for Dad to get hired on as a photographer. On the bad side, he overheard Jing pleading with Tsao to let her father know she was well, and learned that she was being held as a prisoner, with little to no freedom whatsoever.

However, while we were out, General Tsao found our hideout and made off with Uncle Bentley's computer! That computer had all our plans on it, and would give General Tsao an unbelievable advantage over us. Daddy and I had to get it back.

Uncle Bentley was able to get access to Tsao's personal computer, which gave us a clue as to where he was holding it. It took some time - and a bit of help from Guru - to make it there, and then Dad and I had to confront Tsao directly. The original plan was to just get the computer back...

But I'm sure Mrs. Ruby can forgive me losing my temper...especially as far as why...


As Sly and Coco crawled out the opposite end of the tunnel, Coco shivered. "Dad, be very careful," she whispered breathlessly. "There's an incredible amount of magic focused up ahead, spirit and earth magic. I'm going to drop down to the bottom of the valley to see if I can't manage to get control of some of it...or at least keep from being overwhelmed."

Sly nodded. "Tsao's up in the treetops according to scans, so I can handle it for a while." As they reached the other end, Coco slid down the stone slope while Sly leapt out to the bamboo.

"Ah, the famous Sly Cooper," Tsao murmured seemingly uncaringly as he caught sight of Sly. "It seems you and your little gang were able to follow the trail I left for you. Of course, you'll be helpless without them, as you'll soon discover."

"I'm not ashamed to rely on my friends and family," Sly stated flatly.

"Who needs friends when you can have servants?" Tsao proclaimed dismissively. "Who needs-" Sly suddenly vanished. "Where did you-SQUAWK!"

Sly had appeared behind Tsao and smacked him in the back of the head with his cane, knocking him into the mist. "For example, I already know from one friend that the energies of this battleground sustain and enhance all true warriors. En garde."

Snarling, Tsao tried to fire off spheres of dark magic energy to hit Sly, only for Sly to vanish again. Tsao spun around to deflect the expected back attack, only for Sly to strike up from out of the mist, catching him right on the beak. Tsao tried to dash across the battleground with the blades on his shield spinning, but Sly merely vanished anew to strike him right in the nuggets, sending him back onto the bamboo.

"Fine! We'll fight where the advantage is mine!" Tsao snarled as he leapt down into the fog below.

"Coco!" Sly hissed out worriedly, leaping after him.

Beneath the mist lay a forest glen, with a river flowing through the middle. "Impressive, Cooper," Tsao snarled, doing his best to keep his voice level. "I'm surprised you adapted this well."

"Stop this, Tsao," Sly snapped back. "Release Jing King, and this fight can end."

"No!" Tsao proclaimed fiercely. "Jing King is mine! Once our bloodlines cross it shall be glorious! The Panda King, in his day, was magnificent. With the Tsao name, a new generation of Kings will be unstoppable!"

"But she doesn't want to marry you!" Sly pressed insistently.

"She's a woman!" Tsao countered. "She doesn't know up from down-"

The entire glade suddenly flared with power, and an unearthly howl that issued from no mouth echoed across the entire battleground. The mist parted, the bamboo and trees leaned out of the way, and full moon light shone down upon the field, focusing upon the blazing hook at the end of the Staff of Moonfire. Coco held it up, gathering the power as the Mask of Dark Earth on her face sucked the darkness left by the moonlight not reaching the field into itself, growing endlessly in power.

Tsao staggered back in shock. "The...The Mask of Dark Earth? But that's impossible! It is consumed by wrath-"

The mask suddenly opened, letting loose the howl of fury...a howl echoed by the Staff. Coco leveled the Staff at Tsao, and a blast of Light and Dark magic lashed from Staff and Mask, twisting around each other before it slammed into Tsao. He stared in shock as he was sent flying, only to vanish into the mist as Bentley's computer fell to the ground.

"Well, we got the computer back," Sly murmured as he picked it up. "But Tsao-"

"Has nothing anymore," Coco murmured furiously as she pushed the mask up. "Let's see what he thinks of his philosophy when he's on the receiving end. Uncle Bentley?"

"Yes, Coco?" Bentley asked through the comm.

"Can you send a memo to all of Tsao's men, making it look like it came from Tsao?"

"Easily," Bentley confirmed. "Why?"

"Make the memo tell them that General Tsao's 'sister' who likes to pretend to being a warrior has arrived, and that he's instructed her to help 'boost morale' amongst his troops," Coco responded firmly. "After that, it shouldn't be long before we can walk right into the palace and retrieve Jing...and raid his treasury at the same time."

"I can do that," Bentley agreed, "but...the records here don't suggest Tsao has a sister."

"He doesn't," Coco answered, putting Mask and Staff away. "But he'll realize what my spell did when she tries to wield sword, shield, or magic. Like I said, let him be on the receiving end of his philosophy."

"...I suddenly believe that song Dimitri wrote," Panda King murmured through the comm.


Since he was free, Uncle Murray went straight to the palace to break Jing out once the noise died down. The spell I cast on Tsao would wear off...eventually. It was keyed to his empathy, and would only wear off when his understanding of being female left him with the proper respect. He might eventually learn to use weapons and magic as a woman - the magic works differently for men and women because of how we connect to the magical fields - but he'd need to find a teacher. Good luck with that.

At Panda King's insistence, we dropped Jing off with her Aunt, where he claimed she'd be safe. I may have imagined it, but she seemed reluctant to say goodbye to Uncle Murray...as did he.

PreviousChapters Next