• Published 21st Aug 2016
  • 16,783 Views, 5,891 Comments

Dressed to Steal - Tatsurou



Coco Pommel balances being the daughter of Sly Cooper and a member of the Cooper Gang with not disappointing her Law Enforcement mother, Inspector Carmelita Fox.

  • ...
24
 5,891
 16,783

PreviousChapters Next
Sunset Scenario

Because of the broadcasts Dad set up, Mom was able to swoop in with her men to bust Raleigh and his crew for all his crimes, and we made a clean getaway without problems as we'd already made it back to the van by the time Mom arrived. Mom got credit for the bust, and we got the pages we needed, and the name and location of the next member of the Fiendish Five. Muggshot was based specifically in Mesa City in Utah.

It was a long trip there, during which Dad put a lot of thought into that conveniently placed page of the Thievius Raccoonus. He definitely felt there was something fishy about it, but for the life of him, he couldn't put together what. No matter how he tried to make sense of it, nothing beyond 'coincidence' fit in any known realm of physics we understood. Uncle Murray's suggestion - that this just meant that whatever explained it wasn't necessarily bound by the physics we knew - was far too disquieting to give serious consideration to as of yet, so we eventually accepted it as a lucky coincidence. That sometimes happened for Master Thieves, after all.

Instead, we turned our focus to researching Muggshot himself. I won't say much about what we learned of his past, but it did make me glad that there was no chance I'd ever end up in the public school system. Even so, it passed the time well until we arrived in Mesa City...


The van pulled to a halt at the end of the stable road winding around the stone pillar that led to Mesa City. Beyond there, a stone bridge stretched over the deep chasm below, not strong enough to support the van and everyone in it driving across it. While not the only entrance to the city, careful study showed it was the least guarded by patrols as nature did a good job keeping anyone from using this route. While an effective deterrent to law enforcement, a momentary obstacle at best for Coopers.

Climbing up to the top of the gate barring the path, Sly and Coco gazed out over the city as Bentley gave them information through the Binoc-u-com. "Sly...didn't you say Mesa City was going to be loud and boisterous?" he asked worriedly.

"That's what the papers said," Sly confirmed. "It was going to make it easier to sneak through the place."

Coco took in the damaged buildings, the dead signs, and the tumbleweeds. "It looks like a ghost town. ...are there such things as ghosts?"

"Normally I'd say no," Bentley began, "but since it's the pony from a world of 'magic' asking, I can only say that no one has ever reported a viable sighting."

"My thief training says that just means no one's reported one," Coco whimpered, clinging tightly to Sly.

"Don't worry, Coco," Sly offered comfortingly. "Look at all the poles sticking up out the top of the roofs. We won't even have to go into the streets to make our way in. We can take the high road with the Ninja Spire Jump."

"That's a relief," Coco breathed out, relaxing. "And I think I just spotted a thug, so it's not a complete ghost town." She reached for her needles.

"Don't knock him out unless we need to to get past him," Sly cautioned. "The longer we go without doing that, the longer it'll take before Muggshot learns we're here."

Sighing, Coco nodded and lowered her hoof. "Let's go, Daddy."

Hopping from strung light to strung light, Sly was able to make his way part way in. At one point, he had to hop down to ground level, which drew the attention of a large guard dog who sat up from his bone to growl threateningly. Sly got ready to act, but felt Coco leaping off his back, kicking off a stone wall near the dog to land at its side, scratching it behind one ear as she stuffed a plushy into its mouth. The dog began to pant happily, its tail wagging and its leg jerking as it worried at the plushy. After a time, its eyes slipped closed and it slumped to the ground, snoring. "Good puppy," Coco whispered softly, stroking its head before rushing back to Sly's back, slipping the plushy out of the dog's mouth in the process.

"What's in that plushy?" Sly asked curiously.

"Chemically enhanced turkey flavoring," Coco explained. "Makes the systems sluggish and encourages sleep. Between that and the relaxing caresses, it'll be out for an hour at least."

"Clever," Sly praised. "Just keep it away from Murray." Coco burst into giggles at that.

It wasn't the only guard dog the pair encountered on the way into the city, but each was dealt with the same way, and the scent of the other guard dogs' saliva on the plushy made each successive guard dog that much more trusting, as they all apparently came from the same kennel.

Before long, they caught sight of a passage lined with blinking lights on the floor. Coco immediately recognized it from Bentley's lessons. "Electronic floor sensors," she whispered. "They'll fry us if we step on them while they're lit up."

"Then we won't do that," Sly offered teasingly, moving swiftly past the obstacle.

At that point, the only path forward led past guards, forcing Coco to make use of her knock-out needles. "At least this way they won't know for sure where we entered from, since we left conscious guards behind us, right?" she asked hopefully.

"Very good, Coco," Sly praised, stroking her mane. "That's exactly right."

A brief detour from the main path to a distant pinnacle led the pair to the Vault, which Coco was able to easily open. This revealed yet another page of the Thievius Raccoonus, this one covering Rob McCooper's 'Explosive Hat' technique, which involved infusing inner energy into copies of one's hat to turn it into a mine that could be lobbed out where guards might stumble across it, knocking themselves out from the release of energy.

As the pair made their way to the end of the path where - once again - the first Treasure Key was right in front of the locked gate into the rest of the city, Coco voiced a curious question. "How come they leave these things out like this? The vaults with the pages, I mean."

Sly stroked his chin thoughtfully. "Not sure. But it's helpful for us, isn't it?"

PreviousChapters Next