• Published 21st Aug 2016
  • 16,783 Views, 5,891 Comments

Dressed to Steal - Tatsurou



Coco Pommel balances being the daughter of Sly Cooper and a member of the Cooper Gang with not disappointing her Law Enforcement mother, Inspector Carmelita Fox.

  • ...
24
 5,891
 16,783

PreviousChapters Next
Turf Wars

With the gate open, the pair made their way through a short tunnel to the rest of the city. Once on an overlook, they moved along until they were able to get a view of the central building, with a neon sign reading 'Muggshot' at the top of it, along with a giant inflatable character of himself - a large gray bulldog, tall and muscular - floating over the roof. "Well, he's certainly not shy..." Coco muttered dryly.

"How are we supposed to find him, though?" Bentley asked through the Binoc-u-comm. "Mesa City's a big place."

"Maybe the big building with his name on it?" Coco asked speculatively. "Don't dogs like to mark their territory?"

"And that would explain the giant fire hydrant on the roof," Sly added, focusing in on the named structure.

"Logical," Bentley admitted. "You still need to find a way to break into the base of the building."

Sly shifted the lock on, noticing a crimson convertible held in place with three Treasure Locks. "I think I've got something..." he purred softly.

"So more hunting Treasure Keys?" Coco asked quietly. "This should be fun."


The first Treasure Key was at an old building on the edge of town, out of reach for any attempts Sly or Coco would make to retrieve it. Fortunately, that wasn't the plan. "Here's the deal," Sly explained to Coco. "Murray's going to be making a run for that key, and there are going to be guards and the like along the path. We're going to cover him from here-"

"I can't throw my needles that far!" Coco squeaked out in shock. "Well...not with any accuracy, anyway..."

"That's why you're going to use this blasting station we've commandeered," Sly continued, pointing to the terminal in front of the mounted gun turret. "You're the better shot, so you're going to be scanning ahead of Murray and clearing his path. "Can you do that?"

Coco nodded slowly. "I...think so..." Walking up, she checked the controls and smiled. "Yeah. I don't need thumbs for the buttons. I'm ready."

Nodding, Sly lifted his Binoc-u-com. "We're ready to go, Murray."

"Got it Sly!" Murray replied. Shortly thereafter, he became visible on the trail.

Coco focused on and through the turret before her, taking out locked gates and charging thugs with equal alacrity. Once she saw that thugs came out of garages, she focused on each garage as Murray approached them, taking a shot as soon as the door started to open and taking out the thug inside before they could even start rushing. She also made sure to take out the explosive barrels that lined part of the path well before Murray got in reach, so that the explosion didn't injure him.

Within a few minutes, Murray had reached the Treasure Key, taking it back to the van to be transferred to Sly.


As Sly and Coco began to explore again, they got a brief message from Bentley informing them that Murray had gone to grab a snack and somehow come back with a second Treasure Key from winning a race. After chuckling together a bit about that, the pair made their way into one of the larger buildings, a casino by appearances. As they approached, they knew defenses would be high as Muggshot announced over loudspeakers that 'a cop was sniffing around', and ordering a high alert.

"Mommy must be coming," Coco whispered happily, her eyes beaming.

"Hope not too soon," Sly whispered back. "We still need to get the Thievius Raccoonus pages and take out Muggshot before she gets here. Otherwise things get dicey."

Once inside the casino, Sly cut the power both to open the front gate and to give them shadows to hide in as they made their way inside. They made their way over the top of the slot machines, carefully avoiding the machine gun wielding guards. Coco couldn't carelessly knock them out with her needles, as seeing one of their fellows drop would put the others on high alert.

Once the last of the guards were down, Coco hopped off Sly's back. "I'm gonna take a look forward-whoops!" Slipping off the slot machine, she caught hold of the arm, tugging it down as she slowly slipped to the floor. "I'm okay!" she whispered as the tumblers spun. When they stopped, the bells started ringing as coins started spilling out, burying Coco. "...still okay," she mumbled from under the massive pile. "Bentley provided a super tough fabric for me to make my thief suit out of."

"That's...different," Sly mused, hopping down. Picking up a handful of the coins, he tried a few other slot machines...only for them to constantly come up with mismatched symbols that gave nothing back. "And this is why I don't gamble-"

Another series of bells and whistles called Sly's attention to another slot machine, where Coco was once more being buried under a jackpot. "I was just curious," she offered contritely.

Rolling his eyes, Sly pocketed the coins. He'd have to trade them on the black market for a major discount before taking Muggshot down to get any value out of them, but it would still be a profit. "In that case, we won't go to any casino until you're of legal gambling age," he concluded firmly, scooping her back to his shoulders.

Continued exploration of the casino proved exceptionally frustrating, as the lower levels seemed to be flooded, with the craps tables and roulette wheels turned into floating platforms Sly had to jump across carefully with Coco clinging to his back. On top of that, the vault was on one of those floating platforms, making Coco nervous as she rolled the tumblers, and she gave them an extra spin just to make sure she'd heard them click right.

Inside was another page of the Raccoonus, this one covering B.F. Cooper's meditation technique that allowed one to maintain absolute focus in times of inactivity, making it seem as though the world around the user was moving faster than normal. With the page memorized and pocketed, they went on to the giant floating roulette wheel where the Treasure Key was protected. The security was disabled by leaping onto the green space three times, letting the pair grab the Treasure Key.

"Four down," Coco murmured softly. "Think it's going to be seven keys total like last time?"

"We'll find out," Sly replied as he took them back out.

PreviousChapters Next