• Published 21st Aug 2016
  • 16,795 Views, 5,891 Comments

Dressed to Steal - Tatsurou



Coco Pommel balances being the daughter of Sly Cooper and a member of the Cooper Gang with not disappointing her Law Enforcement mother, Inspector Carmelita Fox.

  • ...
24
 5,891
 16,795

PreviousChapters Next
Beasts and Burdens

Once back in the center of the swamp, Sly and Coco looked around for the next Treasure Key. Signals led them to a large stagnant lake with torches scattered around it, with a locked gate at the opposite end, sealed with voodoo and protecting the Treasure Key.

"If this were one of Uncle Bentley's video games, we'd have to light all the torches to open the gate," Coco observed thoughtfully. "Of course, there'd only be four..."

"You're actually on the right track," Bentley responded over the Binoc-u-com. "I've managed to cobble together a swamp skiff with a flamethrower to light the torches. But I wasn't able to get a proper fuel source installed. You'll have to collect it."

"How are we supposed to manage that?" Sly asked curiously.

"There are piranha swimming around the lake," Bentley explained, illuminating one of the fish through the Binocs. "Run them down, and you'll get enough oil for one shot of the flame thrower, and the container can only hold enough for five shots at a time. But once you start, the noise from the skiff will draw larger predators, since this area is actually within that giant snake's enclosure. You'll have at most two minutes before it arrives and starts hunting you down. Given previous behavior, I doubt it likes fire and will likely be much more determined to get you this time."

"Then we'll get it done faster than that," Sly murmured, racing to the skiff.

Even with the pair working together in their planning, they cut things pretty close. Coco's needles did manage to stun the fish for a time, and she also spotted a few places where the torches were close enough together that a pair could be lit with a single shot if the flame thrower was activated as the skiff drifted past at high speed on a half spin, but even before a minute was up they could hear the serpent's approach. Thankfully, they managed to light all the torches, grab the Treasure Key, and get out before the serpent got there.


The pair attempted to find more paths to Treasure Keys in the central swamp area, but found none they could readily access. However, there was a gate sealed with three Treasure Locks. As they possessed four Keys, Sly popped it open...only for the massive snake to immediately swim out with a roar. It swam around the swamp for a bit, smashed through a bone gate, and then swam back into its enclosure, closing the gate Sly had opened behind itself.

"...guess it wanted to stretch out before taking a nap?" Coco suggested nervously.

"Maybe," Sly allowed, tugging at his collar briefly. "Either way, we have a new part of the swamp to explore for keys."

Beyond the bone gate was a massive cauldron, the top just above the surface of the swamp with a massive device slowly stirring it as Mz. Ruby's henchmen tossed bones into it. Bentley spoke up as Sly and Coco examined it through their Binoc-u-coms. "This looks to be the focus of the paranormal energies...and that's some sort of voodoo egg beater. Seems to run on steam."

"Look!" Coco whispered. "Treasure Locks on the beater."

"If we unlock it, it might thrash their production," Sly mused thoughtfully, "and that could build up enough steam pressure to launch us up into the Skull Temple."

"You're going to need to be careful," Bentley warned. "There are guards all over that thing."

"The giant voodoo masks doing the mixing cast shadows," Coco observed. "Could we...hide in them?"

"That should work," Bentley confirmed. "Be careful."

The strategy worked well, and the pair made their way into a deeper part of the swamp in pursuit of the remaining Keys.


The first area they went into seemed like an overflowing swampy catacombs, with flowing green waterfalls carrying bones into a river of sludge. "This probably feeds straight into that soup Mz. Ruby is making," Sly murmured softly as they raced along narrow bone bridges, Sly climbing underneath while Coco used a modified Rail Walk and her lighter frame to cross on top.

"Then let's cut off the flow," Coco murmured as she made sure to evade the spotlights of the voodoo rats patrolling the platforms above them.

The pair carefully made their way deeper across rotted wooden bridges and web platforms, fighting their way past spiders and constructs that threw flaming skulls. Their path led them upward towards the top of the waterfall, past more of the same obstacles.

As they climbed, Mz. Ruby's voice echoed out to them. "Sly Cooper! I know you're there. I've seen you in the stars, and you're all over my tea leaves! But there's something about you...a power not of this world. It's not your power, either, but something riding on your shoulder like a guardian angel! Whatever it is, I intend to find out. I'll be waiting for you...and you will tell me what power this is!"

"Well, she's definitely after you, after all," Sly murmured softly. "But she's not getting you." He expected an affirmative response, but received only silence. "Coco?"

Coco remained silent, but nudged Sly's cheek with one hoof to show she was okay. Inside, she was steeling herself. If Mz. Ruby could sense her power but not read her, logic suggested Ruby's voodoo and Coco's magic used similar energies. If that was the case, Coco might be the only one who could meet the priestess on her own level. She was determined to be ready.

Just past the top of the waterfall, they came across the Vault. Coco quickly popped it open, revealing another page of the family tome. This one covered Matthew de la Coopeur's improvements to Dev Cooperinda's techniques, allowing the altered perception of time at any time, not just while jumping.

A long vine rail led them into a cavern behind the waterfall, where the Treasure Key was hidden. After that, it was only a quick jaunt back out to the main part of the swamp, leaving only two Treasure Keys to be found.

PreviousChapters Next