• Published 21st Aug 2016
  • 16,795 Views, 5,891 Comments

Dressed to Steal - Tatsurou



Coco Pommel balances being the daughter of Sly Cooper and a member of the Cooper Gang with not disappointing her Law Enforcement mother, Inspector Carmelita Fox.

  • ...
24
 5,891
 16,795

PreviousChapters Next
Gathering: Take 3

Once Dad finished placing the explosives Uncle Bentley had prepared to deal with all the advertisements, Octavio tried to kidnap Uncle Bentley. Had I heard about this before they got back, I would have definitely done something. Unfortunately, their operation went down at the same time as I was working with Uncle Murray on the oil drums, so I wasn't able to. Dad was able to save him, though, and Uncle Bentley made a mental note to add weapons to his wheelchair that could be used to prevent such a snatching in the future.

Once we were all gathered, all that was left was planning how to handle Octavio's recital, and stopping his plan for good to clear the canals. The first step was Dad using the disguise to get Bentley into the pump room, so he could destroy the main pump. Once that was done, we were to take out Octavio himself...and make sure Mom found him with the detonation switch, giving her more than enough to throw him in the clink for a long time.

My job in all of this was to make sure Mom got there at the right time, and then to make sure Murray saw the clear waters. The first part of that was rather easy. I just went right up to the door of the police precinct and asked to see my Mommy...


Coco smiled up at Carmelita as she was shown into her office. "Hi Mommy!"

Carmelita shook her head as the door closed, leaving her alone with her incorrigible equine child. "What are you and your father up to this time?" she asked dryly.

"We're going to bust Octavio!" Coco declared happily. "And set it up so you can snatch him for attempting to hold the entire city of Venice hostage to force the citizens to listen to his opera."

Carmelita raised an eyebrow in surprise. "Really? How are you going to manage that?"

"Dropping a chandelier on him before he can attack Bentley for showing him up at his recital," Coco replied easily.

"...you realize if we actually see that happen, we'd have to arrest you, right?" Carmelita pointed out dryly.

"But if you happen upon the scene when the chandelier's on top of him, it'd be your duty to dig him out and see to it he got medical attention," Coco countered. She then grinned mischievously. "Which includes documenting all his personal effects to make sure he gets everything back once he's better, right?"

Carmelita's eyes widened, and she returned the grin. "So we're going to get into position, and you send us a signal for when we should charge in and 'assist' him?"

"The signal will be a loud crash!" Coco confirmed eagerly, giggling a little wickedly.


Getting Uncle Murray into position was a little harder...mostly because it involved searching the entire city to locate him. Once I did...


"There you are!" Coco called out happily as she finally found Murray, rushing up to his side.

"You were looking for me?" the large hippo asked in surprise. "Did you need my help with something else?"

"Actually, I need you to come watch something," Coco pointed out. "We're about to trap the guy who was doing the tar pumping, and not long after that the waters will turn clear. Don't you want to see him taken down?"

Murray hesitated. "Well...I do like seeing - or being in - a good fight..." He shook his head. "But no. I'm supposed to be peaceful. I really shouldn't take pleasure in things like that anymore..."

Coco blinked in surprise. She had been certain the idea of seeing another bad guy taken down would have grabbed Murray, but apparently it took more than that. She decided to try a different tack. "Well...you can't get much more peaceful than an opera recital, right?"

"Opera?" Murray gasped in shock. "Gag me! I hate that stuff! I wouldn't listen to that for a triple chocolate fudge sundae!"

"But Uncle Bentley's going to be performing!" Coco complained. "It can't be that bad!"

Murray blinked in surprise. "Bentley...can sing opera? I never knew he had that kind of talent."

Coco's eyes widened as she saw a strategy that might work. "Honestly, I don't know if he can. He seems confident...but I'm sure knowing you're there to give him emotional support would do wonders for him."

Murray hesitated, then sighed. "I...I owe him all the support I can give him," he stated finally. "I'll be there."


I'd wanted to reassure Uncle Murray, tell him he didn't really owe Uncle Bentley anything and that Uncle Bentley felt the same way...but I was pretty sure he wouldn't listen. It would either be because I was 'just a kid', or because they needed to work it out between themselves. Either way, I got him there.

The plan worked flawlessly. Murray's old destructive thrills came back as he watched the chandelier fall, trapping Octavio beneath it and destroying the stage he was standing on at the same time, sending pieces flying up into the air in flaming pinwheels as the chandelier sparked the tar that was underneath the stage. Dad and Uncle Bentley vacated immediately as Mom came with her squad and carted Octavio off...officially for medical attention, but shortly to arrest him. After that, it was just waiting for the waters to turn clear with no more tar pumping out of them.

Thankfully, we were all able to do that together as a family. Mom was even able to join us now that Octavio was behind bars. Uncle Murray and Uncle Bentley were a little awkward with each other...but things smoothed over as Jean Bison drove up in the van, complete with all the repairs and upgrades Uncle Bentley had designed just for Uncle Murray. Seeing his beloved van so lovingly cared for really made Uncle Murray happy.

PreviousChapters Next