• Published 21st Aug 2016
  • 16,784 Views, 5,891 Comments

Dressed to Steal - Tatsurou



Coco Pommel balances being the daughter of Sly Cooper and a member of the Cooper Gang with not disappointing her Law Enforcement mother, Inspector Carmelita Fox.

  • ...
24
 5,891
 16,784

PreviousChapters Next
Lost: Disaster

Coco waited worriedly and impatiently as her family slowly stirred. Sly and Carmelita were the first to awaken, and seeing Coco nearby resulted in the first action being a tight hug. It took Coco a few minutes to calm them down, and by then the others had awakened and everyone was staring around at their surroundings. The pyramid, the oasis, the desert...

"So...what now?" Bentley finally asked, standing on his own legs as the mechanisms of his wheelchair hadn't survived the transfer. He would have to salvage the components later. Penelope gently braced him to help him stay upright.

"There's a hidden cave by that oasis down there," Coco explained, gesturing. "Someone's waiting for us there."

"Who?" Murray asked curiously. "Who would know we were here or want to talk with us? I mean, pretty sure this is ancient Egypt, right?"

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you," Coco answered ruefully. "She told me, and I'm not sure I believe it."

"Who, Isis?" Penelope joked playfully.

"Given all I've seen of the Thievius Raccoonus and our trip through time, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a God was getting involved," Carmelita pointed out with a smirk as she fanned her jacket to try and cool off. "It's about the only thing that would top everything we've been through."

"Wadjet, actually," Coco pointed out, feeling somewhat relieved.

Carmelita turned to stare at her in shock. "...I was being facetious..."

"Well if there's one thing I've learned from love, it's that you don't keep a goddess waiting," Sly told Carmelita playfully. "Let's go."

It didn't take the group long to make their way down to the oasis, and from there they could see the cave Coco had mentioned...somewhat. It only seemed somewhat there, like a mirage but far too close. "Are you...sure that's really a cave?" Bentley asked worriedly. As he spoke, the cave entrance seemed somehow to become less real.

"I'm pretty sure now that it's a place of divine origin," Sly spoke up, the cave starting to become more real. "It's only there for us if we genuinely believe it is there." Confidently, he stepped up to the cave entrance and vanished.

"Dad!" Coco called out worriedly, racing in after him.

As the group followed, they found themselves in a massive cavern, pleasantly cool as two wide rivers flowed through it, one upon the ground and one across the underside of the roof. The one upon the ground flowed straight and true through the cavern, slowly shrinking from a wide river to a shallow stream and beyond as it stretched out into the distance. The river on the underside of the roof was anything but placid, twisting and turning in on itself as eddies, rapids, and snarls caused it to endlessly divert and spill out of its banks, odd protrusions causing distressing blockages.

As everyone took this all in, Murray spoke up. "Is anyone else thirsty?" he asked, pulling a mug from somewhere and reaching towards where part of the river above arced along the wall near him.

"If you drink from that river, you will be dussssst in mere moments," Wadjet spoke calmly as she slithered down from the ceiling, the mass of her body filling a good portion of the cavern. "That issss the River of Time, and I am itssss tender...amongsssst other thingssss..."

As everyone stared in awe, Murray slowly lowered his mug. "So...what about the other one?" he asked curiously.

"That is the Divine River, birthplace of the Godssss," Wadjet explained softly. "I watch over it, and tend the Godssss that emerge from it until they are ready to asssssume their fated rolessss. If a mortal drinks from it, they will have great power for a few weeks and then die as their life force issss burned out." She glanced worriedly at a murky part of the River, then turned back to the group. "Have you told them what I showed you, Child of another World?"

"I wanted to get them to shelter first," Coco explained. "Dad and I are the only ones who have mastered the technique to regulate our body temperature relative to our environment, and none of the others are really built for this climate. I was worried about heatstroke."

"A good choice," Wadjet observed thoughtfully. "You will have time to adapt, though not much. Allow me to-" She paused, then reared up until she could touch the roof. Part of the River of Time frothed and spun, a whirlpool trying to breach its boundaries. Watching carefully, Wadjet lifted the tip of her tail and inserted it into the center of the whirlpool, twisting the other way until the torrent subsided. She then slowly lowered back to the group. "Forgive my rudenesssss-"

"Your duties have to come first," Sly agreed readily. "And I'm pretty sure a whirlpool in the River of Time is very bad for the space-time continuum."

"Untended, it would unravel time itssssself," Wadjet confirmed. "It takessss all my power to contain the dissstortion that hasss been brought to time, which isss why I cannot act against the one who hasss causssed it. The other Godssss are in ssssimilar sssituationsss, ssstruggling to maintain the balance of the world againsssst the workingsss of thisss one. When you fell uncontrolled through Time, I plucked you from the River as the only onessss who could lend aid in thissss time, before the eddiesss could erasssse you all."

"Is that why the Staff of Moonfire and the Mask of Dark Earth are unstable?" Coco asked worriedly.

"That...and the Sssstaff hasss not yet been desssstroyed in this time," Wadjet confirmed. "You will not be able to usssse them while in thissss time, Child of Another World." She turned to the group at large. "Cooperssss and alliessss...will you help resssstore what hasss been undone?"

"We will," Sly agreed readily as the others nodded their assent. "What's happened?"

"The one you call Ssssseft fell out of time and landed in the Divine River," Wadjet explained worriedly, glancing towards the murky portion again. "Mosssst mortalssss would have panicked, drank, and been little threat to Time. He did not panic. He remained within the River longer than mosssst could...letting it wash away his mortal impuritiessss as it flowed into an old wound. He hassss thusss become a Fell God, a divine that should not have exisssssted. And hissss firsssst act when he left the cave was to track down the grandfather of Slythunkamen I before he could have children and sssslay him."

Everyone gasped as they heard that. "But...but he's the one who started the Thievius Raccoonus!" Penelope gasped out. "If...if he was never born-"

"That issss the leasssst of our concernssss at the moment," Wadjet interrupted insistently. "If Seft continuessss, the chaossss he sssspreadssss will unleash Set upon the world. If that comessss to passss, Apep may awaken assss well. Then all issss lossst. The chaos Seft createssss must be contained and sssstopped." She turned to Sly. "When you firsssst met Sssseft, you were unhappy with yoursssself because you went assss an assassin, and not a thief. I must asssk you all to do ssso again. I mussst asssk you to kill a God."

PreviousChapters Next