• Published 21st Aug 2016
  • 16,803 Views, 5,891 Comments

Dressed to Steal - Tatsurou



Coco Pommel balances being the daughter of Sly Cooper and a member of the Cooper Gang with not disappointing her Law Enforcement mother, Inspector Carmelita Fox.

  • ...
24
 5,891
 16,803

PreviousChapters Next
Time Out: Where the Caravan Camels Roam

Sly, Carmelita, and Coco stepped into the curtained off area of the boat Ca li-Ta had guided them to, uncertain what to expect. Salim al-Kupar was one of the most legendary of the Cooper ancestors, after all, and that legend held a sense of power to it. On the other hand, they'd seen what Le Paradox's handiwork had done to the other ancestors, and Ca's assertion that Salim was 'not himself' left them with concern about his ability to help them bring some semblance of normality back to the situation.

What they were not prepared to see was an elderly raccoon dressed like a rich merchant indulging himself with berries from a bowl. "Salim al-Kupar?" Sly asked nervously.

"And who are you?" Salim demanded incisively, not even bothering to look up from his bowl long enough to see who was talking.

"That's...rather complicated," Sly allowed worriedly, unsure how he was going to explain the situation if Salim wasn't going to even bother looking at him. "I'm...a thief new in town," he began carefully, "and I was hoping I could learn from someone as great as you. How about you come meet the rest of my gang, and I can explain further?"

"How about you go lick a camel's hump?" Salim snapped angrily before reaching for some nuts.

"Okay...look, I know you're in trouble-" Sly began awkwardly.

"You think you know trouble?" Salim interrupted angrily as he cracked the nuts open in his hand with a single squeeze before eating the meat within. "As young as you are with that on your arm?" He gestured dismissively towards Carmelita. "Why don't you go try telling the sandstorm you know how much life blows? It might be in the mood to listen to you, but I am not!"

"There's no need to be rude-" Carmelita began.

"I do not speak to unveiled women!" Salim snapped out angrily. "They are either someone else's wife and trouble I don't need, or no better than they should be and even worse trouble! Now get out!"

"No better than they should be, hmm?" Ca suddenly asked firmly as she stepped in, stepping around a fuming Carmelita as she pulled her own veil aside.

Salim seemed to wilt in on himself as she entered. "Ca li-Ta..." he wheedled placatingly. "Please, put your veil back on? What will people think?"

"The truth, probably," Ca responded acerbically. "After all, I am an unmarried woman with children, am I not?"

"You know we can't wed when my wealth is as a thief," Salim countered, though he remained pleading in his tone. "And you know I will never turn my back on you or our children, and will always provide-"

"Will you?" Ca snapped out, strutting forward in a way that demonstrated her anger and managed to flaunt her sensual curves. "Samun and Ki-sa still nurse but are without proper clothes, and La-di already prowls the streets with that monkey friend of his!"

"Bu-bu is a perfectly respectable-"

"Do you want our son having the reputation of 'street rat'?" Ca demanded angrily. "He is the one you say will grow to be your heir, after all! The one you want great things for? But no, you will just sit here in your boat and whine and whine, instead of doing what is right for the city, your children, and me!" She turned around. "But I am just a woman, after all. What right do I have to complain, when I'm no better than I should be?" Putting her veil back on, she stomped out of the boat.

Salim stared after her despairingly, then turned grumpily towards the trio. "So she told you I was here?" he asked flatly. "Fine. The reason I am in this state is because of a new Fine Lady in town, an elephant calling herself Miss Decibel, whatever that's supposed to mean. She's been throwing lots of money around, pretty much buying up the whole place. Ca's House of Secrets is one of the few she doesn't already own outright!"

As he ranted, Sly and Carmelita exchanged glances. It was relatively easy to see who Le Paradox's ally was here. Coco, however, kept her eyes on Salim, even as she slipped on the Mask of Dark Earth and gripped the Staff of Moonfire. While she didn't actually need a magic boost right now, she felt if she was going to get through to Salim to get his willing cooperation, she'd need to look the part of someone who knew ancient magic. The Mask resting atop her head rather than over her face did that quite well, she thought, especially with the glow of the Staff's hook.

"So I gathered my three remaining comrades who had not abandoned the city after having enough money to go wherever they wished to pull one last heist on this Decibel lady!" Salim continued, beginning to pace. "With the city under that lady's sway, I wanted enough I could afford to take Ca, our children, and her whole establishment across the desert to Agribh, where I hear the Sultan has interesting ideas regarding how to handle the succession when he has only one daughter...who is about La-Di's age." He gave a playful smirk. "I do want to look after my family, after all." The smirk faded into a scowl. "But as soon as we made it into the place, we were confronted by evil beams of light, sound with teeth, and fireworks that shot repeatedly and ate flesh and bone! She has a Djinn at her command, that is the only explanation! There is no other way she could wield weapons that cannot exist and deny all that has been discovered of science and magic so far!"

He slumped back onto his divan. "I had to abandon my thieving outfit to keep them from tracking me. I tried to sell it for enough to get Ca and the children out of town...but the elephant lady is determined to hunt me down! I have been...stuck, ever since. If you can bring me the outfit and show mastery of its hidden power, then maybe I can assist you."

"Perhaps I can do more for you than that," Coco spoke up, stepping forward so she could be seen. "I may be mistaken...but I believe your problems predate Decibel's arrival...or perhaps I should say, your real problem?"

Salim frowned somewhat nervously. "And what would you know?" he demanded cautiously.

"I have been trained in both the mystic and medical arts," Coco explained, "and if the right ingredients are available, then I believe I could mix you up a tonic that can prove most...beneficial. Is this of interest?"

Salim stroked his beard. "I'm...listening..."

Coco turned and handed a list to Sly. "Father, I have most of what I need and can work here...but you and the others will need to locate a few herbs, berries, and other things. It should not be too difficult."


Dad and the others worked together, both on getting my list of ingredients and getting Salim's thief outfit back. Getting the outfit back was rather straightforward. The merchant who had the outfit stayed very secure, so it had to be straight up bought with flawless gemstones, ones Dad, Uncle Razor, and Uncle T-Bone were easily able to retrieve. A few modifications to the Binoc-U-Coms from Bentley and Penelope made it easy for them to locate the ingredients I needed as well.

To our surprise, not only did the outfit allow Dad to literally slow down time - unlike the Slow Time Cooper Technique which only enhanced reaction and awareness to make it seem time had slowed - but Dad was able to spy on a meeting between Miss Decibel and Le Paradox himself! Not only did we discover part of Le Paradox's plan - falsifying a 'royal lineage' for himself - Dad was able to trick the locations of Salim's compatriots out of Miss Decibel!

Once everything was gathered, the entire gang met up in the second of three floors in Ca's establishment...the lower floor being the business floor, and the third being the living quarters for herself, Salim, and their children. While Dad showed off the thief outfit, Ca fetched some refreshments while I finished mixing up the 'tonic'...


"So this outfit used to belong to a genie?" Sly asked Salim as he looked over the new outfit. It certainly fit the environment with the vest, tiny hat, and harem pants, and Coco had confirmed she could feel the magic in the staff.

"Yes indeed," Salim confirmed, not really paying attention as he was focused on Coco and the 'tonic' she was mixing up. "So...this will help me?"

"Indeed," Coco confirmed as she finished mixing it. "I just need to measure the dose." She poured a small amount into a cup. "Taking it undiluted would be...most unpleasant, so I would suggest mixing it with water."

"Not wine?" Salim asked in disappointment.

"It would dull the effects," Coco confirmed as Salim ruefully filled the cup the rest of the way with water before stirring. "Now drink up."

Shrugging, Salim downed the contents of the cup in a single swig, only to shudder at the taste. "Pfaugh! Perhaps just some juice next time, if not wine?"

"It might react with the fruit," Coco explained softly. "However, I am certain that it will be of great assistance to you...and Ca li-Ta."

"Do you think so-" Salim began, only to freeze as he saw Ca li-Ta enter from the upper floor.

Rather than the outfit she wore on the 'business' side, she was clad in a simple silk robe that gave her complete modesty, but still shaped well to her curves. "I do hope you 'travelers' will enjoy my cooking," she offered playfully as she set out the dishes. "I'm certain it isn't what you're used to."

"I'm sure it'll be great!" Murray declared excitedly as he began to chow down. "Delicious!"

Ca chuckled as she moved towards where Salim was sitting. "Well, as long as everyone's comf-MMM!" Her voice was cut off as Salim startled her by leaping to his feet and pulling her into his arms and locking lips with her, holding her tight against him. She struggled at first, but quickly melted into both kiss and embrace. When Salim pulled back, her eyes were wide and quivering. "Salim..." she breathed desperately before glancing at the others. "W-we're not alone..."

"Let me fix that," Salim responded eagerly, grabbing a nearby rope and zipping them both up to the third floor.

"So...what problem were you helping him with, anyway?" Bentley asked curiously as he and the others began to eat.

Coco smirked. She had to tell them this way. Looking up the rope, she called out, "Check with me if it lasts more than 4 hours!"


By the makers, their faces! And I think Murray's spittake actually shot completely over the boat out the window!

PreviousChapters Next