• Published 21st Aug 2016
  • 16,809 Views, 5,891 Comments

Dressed to Steal - Tatsurou



Coco Pommel balances being the daughter of Sly Cooper and a member of the Cooper Gang with not disappointing her Law Enforcement mother, Inspector Carmelita Fox.

  • ...
24
 5,891
 16,809

PreviousChapters Next
Lost: Forgotten

Clockwerk gently settled down between the oasis pool and the Divine Cavern as Coco and the others scrambled out to see what had happened. He gently set Sly and Carmelita down before flapping over to perch on the cave entrance, where the sunlight would not reflect off his feathers into the others' eyes. Folding his wings, he waited calmly for the questions he knew would come.

Eventually, as he knew it would be, the one he feared to answer was the first to speak up. Coco looked up at him with sad eyes. "D...Deik-Beck?" she asked sorrowfully. "What...how?"

"I was always Deik-Beck," Clockwerk responded softly. "Or...Deik-Beck was always me. Then again...neither of those answers is entirely accurate. It is...difficult to explain, and complicated."

"Try," Sly stated firmly, moving protectively up to Coco's side.

Clockwerk nodded. He hadn't expected his assistance here to earn him any good will...or certainly not enough to balance his sins against Sly. "When you bested me long ago, despite my rage I accepted my defeat. I set out to conquer the Coopers...and was conquered by them. I would always be part of your legend...and that was enough. Then, when Nayla used my body to become Clock-La and Bentley woke me with his message...I realized it was not enough. Others sought to end your legend, and dared use my works to do so. I could not allow that.

"As Clock-La sank into the abyss, I broke off from her in a much smaller form. I made my decision that I would shadow you, and ensure that your legend would never die. Towards that end, I shaped an image and a persona that would be expected." He turned to Coco. "I thought that Deik-Beck was merely a thought construct, a mask I used to infiltrate your group to ensure you never failed...but in your tender, loving care, I discovered that it was far more than that. It was...a part of myself long forgotten. The young owl I once was, who had hope...who believed in love. An echo of it, perhaps...but enough that with your love and care, I...remembered what it was like. To love, and be loved. To want what was best for another...for their sake. To...believe in others. To be willing...to die for others." He turned to Sly. "When I offered to be cannibalized to repair the van and time machine in the prehistoric age, it came from both of us. And then you told me...that I was a Cooper."

Clockwerk lowered his head, his eyes closing. (1)"Revenge is the prime ingredient in the fountain of youth, this I've long known. Driven by revenge, I came back again and again, endlessly seeking the death of your family. For untold centuries, a steady diet of hate has kept me alive...yet it is a bitter draught and feast that I have supped on, a pale anodyne for what I lost long ago. It is a potion I can no longer stomach...not when I now remember what that power was originally for. I have...twisted it, and I am not worthy of it. I am beyond forgiveness, and all I can do now...is accept your hatred, fully justified, and the loneliness I deserve."

He waited in silence, certain that soon would come the imprecations, the hate, being cast out...or worse, the silence as they turned their backs on him. He knew he deserved all that and more, and would accept whatever they brought him. It was his coming punishment for his sins...and he would accept whatever they declared, even if they demanded his destruction. He was ready.

What he had not expected, and was not ready for...was the feeling of soft limbs wrapping around one of his metal legs. Opening his eyes, he stared down at Coco as she gave him a tight hug. "C...Coco?"

"So it was real," she murmured softly as she held as much of him as she could tight. "You thought you were faking...but our bond was real. That's what you were saying, right?"

Clockwerk stared down at her in disbelief. "Y...yes," he managed to say at last. "It was real. But...all I've done, to you and your family..."

"As bad as Neyla was, she turned even worse when she became Clock-La," Coco said softly. "The Hate Chip...it twisted her soul, and that wasn't even an hour under its effects. If you'd been using its power to survive for untold centuries...how twisted had you become?"

"Using it was my choice," Clockwerk spoke firmly. "The actions I took in those centuries were my choice. I will not claim innocence on grounds of insanity. The insanity was one of my own making-"

"I'm not saying the sins just wash away," Coco interrupted. "Nothing can truly fix that. But...when not under its influence, you chose love. You chose hope. You chose...to be good. Deep down inside, you're a good person. You just made a lot of bad choices...and a good friend doesn't turn their back on someone just because of bad choices, especially not when that someone is family."

Clockwerk's eyes widened. "But-"

"You are a Cooper!" Coco insisted firmly. "Dad said it, and it's true! You're one of us! You messed up big in the past...but you've been working hard to make things right, to make it better...and I'm not going to turn my back on you now! You...you're still Deik-Beck to me, and you're good!"

Clockwerk stared down at Coco in shock, his golden optics twisting rapidly back and forth as though quivering. At long last...he broke. Closing his optics, he wrapped the tips of his wings gently around Coco in a loving embrace, discovering in that shared warmth a magic far more powerful than revenge, and far more eternal than hatred.

Forgiveness.

"I'm so sorry..." he whispered, knowing only the absence of tear ducts in his bio-metal form kept Coco from drowning in the flood of tears that would otherwise have come. "I'm so...so sorry..."



(1) Thanks for this speech, RazDelacroix. I knew I had to use it...with some modifications.

PreviousChapters Next