• Published 21st Aug 2016
  • 16,784 Views, 5,891 Comments

Dressed to Steal - Tatsurou



Coco Pommel balances being the daughter of Sly Cooper and a member of the Cooper Gang with not disappointing her Law Enforcement mother, Inspector Carmelita Fox.

  • ...
24
 5,891
 16,784

PreviousChapters Next
Gathering: Take 19

Our choice of Panda King as our demolitions expert was an easy one, as he was a friend - somewhat - and an expert in all things explosive...not to mention a real powerhouse in his own right. I was happy to learn he'd been spotted in the Kunlun Mountains in China, apparently pursuing a spiritual life of deep meditation. We could only hope he wouldn't be too upset about us disturbing his meditation.

When we arrived at his place of meditation, we found he was in deep trance atop a central pillar, with no obvious way to get up to him and wake him. At first, I thought it would be easy to make a way up, but...


The group stared out at the pristine oasis within the mountains. The icy lake, the peaceful pagodas, the soaring bamboo... Coco breathed deep of the tranquility, letting it push the last of the nightmares Negaduck had left her with away. Sly quickly spoke up. "Okay, we need to get up to that central pillar. Coco, Mrs. Ruby, do you think you two can-"

"Don't even think it, ringtail," Mrs. Ruby interrupted. "Can't ya feel the aura the King's givin' off? My magic won't work here while he's in deep trance, and askin' Coco to reshape the land at her level is askin' fer trouble."

"I guess we'll just need another way," Murray grumbled. "But I hope it doesn't involve more walking. I've got blisters on my feet the size of eggplants."

Perhaps you could use your Ball Form to bounce up the pillars to the higher ground? Guru suggested carefully.

"The bamboo would let Sly and Coco get up there," Bentley added, "if there were more jump points...and they weren't so high..."

"I could use my lightweight RC car to split the bamboo without letting it sink into the ice lake!" Penelope offered quickly, pulling out her controller.

"I could carry the rest of ya up the mountain if Coco leads the way," Mrs. Ruby offered. "She leaves a little magic in stone and wood when she walks up it, and I can grip those points."

Once we are there, I can more closely observe his trance state, Guru offered. Perhaps even guide Sly into entering the trance with him to bring him out of it.

"Alright then, let's do it," Sly stated firmly.


The plan worked out perfectly as far as it went. Once we were all up there, Guru led Dad into the trance with Panda King. He was in there for a while, and refused to discuss what he saw when they both came out of the trance. What they had to tell us, however, was of far greater significance than any idle curiosity regarding what happened in his head.

His daughter, Jing, had been kidnapped by General Tsao, a ruthless Rooster who reigned over a good portion of China through force and fear. He intended to solidify his rule over the entire area by forcing Jing to marry him, and had exiled the Panda King to keep him from interfering. Panda King had entered his deep meditation to try and find why he hadn't been able to bring himself to fight back, why he hadn't been able to protect Jing from Tsao's warriors.

We weren't about to let Tsao get away with this, however. We didn't need Mrs. Ruby's urging to decide that saving Jing from this took precedence over everything else. However, it seemed to catch Panda King off guard...


"...but that is enough of my problems," Panda King concluded as he finished his litany of what had happened. "You did not come all this way here just to listen to an old fool. I saw in your mind, Sly Cooper. You wish my assistance in accessing your ancestors vault. A...worthy endeavor-"

"We can get to that later," Sly interrupted. "First, we need to save Jing."

Panda King blinked, but nodded. "And in return, you desire my help-"

"No," Sly countered. "We're going to save Jing. No 'in return', just statement of action." He rested his hand on Coco's head. "I know your pain, Panda King. I'm not going to let anything happen to your daughter...just as your actions in their own way protected mine, time and time again. After Jing is safe, then we'll discuss whether you want to be involved in this job."

Panda King stared at Sly for a time, then bowed deeply. "You have grown much, young Cooper. I am in your debt for this." He smiled softly. "Though I doubt my Jing would allow me to choose a suitor for her once this is all over and done with, if you were not already spoken for..." He smirked as Coco burst into giggles.

"Whoa there, King!" Sly called out worriedly. "I've got my hands full just trying to keep Carmelita happy. Two women's more than any sane man can handle. What kind of crazy fool would even try?"

The entire group shared an amused chuckle at Sly's expense.

"So what can ya tell us about this General, huh?" Mrs. Ruby asked curiously. "Anything we need to watch out for?"

"Something your group seems well equipped for," Panda King observed. "He is skilled with blade and shield, but hand to hand combat is not his preference. He has an entire tribe of warriors at his beck and call, and he prefers to send them into battle while commanding them as their general. When he is forced to fight for himself...he relies heavily on his mastery of dark magic."

"Well that's not going to be pleasant," Coco murmured worriedly.

PreviousChapters Next