• Published 29th Oct 2014
  • 4,132 Views, 269 Comments

Better than the Best - BronyDad



Rainbow Dash convinces Twilight to enter a flying pairs competition with her.

  • ...
7
 269
 4,132

Reunion

Chapter 13

Reunion

Rainbow lowered her shaking hoof and took a deep breath.

"You can do this, Dash," Twilight said softly as she laid a hoof on her friend's shoulder.

"I know I can." Rainbow smiled. "I've got you with me."

Again, she raised a trembling hoof to the door, but hesitated. After a long moment, she pushed it open and stepped inside.

"Mom, Dad?" Rainbow called. "I'm home."

There was a loud clattering from the next room, and then a rainbow hued stallion rushed into sight. He paused in the doorway and simply stared at his daughter.

"Hey, Dad." Rainbow turned her gaze to the floor and rubbed her foreleg with a hoof. "Sorry I never write."

With a cry that could have been either a laugh or a sob, her father rushed forward and embraced her. "Rainbow, honey, I'm so sorry for what I said."

"It's cool, Dad," Rainbow replied in a voice that broke with emotion. "I know you just wanted what was best for me."

Twilight glanced toward the other room and found a mare standing in the doorway, a hoof over her mouth as tears ran down her face.

"Hi, Mom." Rainbow reared up and spread her forelegs. "I've really missed you."

Sobbing hysterically, her mother raced across the room and clutched her tightly. "My filly is back!" she cried. "My little filly is back!"

"Mom," Rainbow groaned. "I'm not a filly anymore."

"No, you're not," her mother sniffed. "You're so grown up now. And so pretty." She wiped her eyes. "Do you have a coltfriend?"

Rainbow rolled her eyes. "No, I don't have a coltfriend." She grinned at the two of them. "But I did bring a very good friend."

For the first time, Rainbow's parents looked at Twilight. "Hi," she said, smiling sheepishly.

"Princess Twilight Sparkle!" they cried in unison and hurriedly dropped to a bow.

"Just Twilight will do." Twilight smiled as they raised back to their hooves. "While I'm here, I'm simply Rainbow's close friend."

Rainbow turned toward her dad. "So I skipped my mane cut this month." She ran a hoof through her hair. "And it's getting a little long."

Her father beamed. "That's great! I was planning on getting mine done today."

With a chuckle, Rainbow said. "I know."

"And after, do you—"

"Yes," Rainbow interrupted, grinning broadly. "I want to do all of it." She glanced at her mother. "I figured me and Twilight would stay the weekend...if you don't mind, that is."

"Of...of course not!" Her mother began to trot in place excitedly. "You're welcome to stay as long as you like! Both of you!"

Her father threw a foreleg over Rainbow's shoulders. "We were just getting ready to have your mother's homemade waffles. Would you like to join us?"

Rainbow's eyes sparkled with delight. "Heck yes! I've missed Mom's waffles!"

Twilight smiled as she watched the two of them disappear into the next room, and then laughed as she heard Rainbow say, "So Dad, guess who made it into the Wonderbolt Reserves."

"I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love."

–Mother Teresa

Author's Note:

Thank you for reading!

Comments ( 28 )

6526849
You realize that there is one more chapter, right? And that the story is now complete?

6527040
Yeah...I thought about cutting this chapter up, and maybe going into the party that Lightning mentioned, and having some of the stuff (like Hans for example) happen there, but I didn't feel like I had enough content to justify that. It probably would have felt too much like filler. Anyway, I'm glad you liked it. Thanks for reading!:twilightsmile:

Regardless of my earlier critique, these last two chapters were wonderful.
I really liked how Twilight put in the trust-fall, RD remembered what's really important and even did loose on purpose and especially how she had drawn the line from her own past behaviour to Lightnings. That was psychological, compassionate and intelligent and exactly what I was looking for in the earlier review all along. Thank you :twilightsmile:

EDIT.: Oh and I would LOVE to see a follow up story where Krystal meets Scootaloo. I bet that would be awesome^^

FRIENDSHIPPING EVERYWHERE

God this is awesome.

This has been a fabulous story. I'm glad to have read this. Keep up the good work; I can't wait to see what you write next!

This is a very good story from the beginning to the end! This goes to my Top Favorite Shelf!
Well done! :twilightsmile:

Really outstanding stuff... Just the perfect tone and wrapped up so nicely! Using the trust fall to throw the competition while still showing off Dash's abilities was a clever plan by Twilight and a nice bit of plotting in general. I, for one, appreciated the full happy ending treatment as well.

Really, this whole story has been a delightful bit of true-to-show escapism. Thank you for writing it and sharing it!

Welp, the story ended. Let's see the final verdicts!

"It's cool and all, but where are the dinosaurs?"
8/10 — IGN

"What? 66k words and no trace of mutant alien zombies?"
2/10 — Kotaku

All joking aside, I really loved the story while it lasted, and this is one of the rare stories where I had a hard time picking a side between Twi and Dash. The dynamic between Twi and Dash was freaking amazing, and the end was almost fulfilling. I said almost, because to be honest, it was a little too predictable.

However, that didn't make it any less adorable xD

I absolutely loved Dash at the end. It wasn't just that she forgot about the dispute between her and Twi, but her pride was now completely gone. She was absolutely awesome, and for the right reasons this time around.

Also, aw, there was no kiss at the end :|

Still loved the story, and it's quite likely I'll be coming back to this one. I've really enjoyed coming back for more ^^
~Twi

Really nice story you have here. While I had some misgivings about parts towards the beginning, I think that it was brought together well by the end and everything wrapped up as it should. Lots of clever bits in the final chapter, as was already pointed out. I think you've done an excellent job of it over all.

In the end, I found the whole thing to be a very enjoyable read these last several months and marked as such :twilightsmile:

Almost a year after first post, this little diddy is finally done. I've been hooked the whole way through. Your attention to detail is impeccable and the characters were all consistently on point. I also got a small but sweet dose of worldbuilding as well, until continuity changed everything.

Until next time

ATS

6527235
I've been toying around with a sequel to this for a while, but I haven't been able to come up with a plot that satisfies me yet. But man, I wanna write more Nasir and Krystle! Maybe some time in the future....

6527806
And thank you for reading it! From what I've seen on some of your posts, I get the impression that you're a pretty busy person. So, it feels nice to know that you chose to spend some of that valuable free time on my work.:twilightsmile:

6526970
But of course, you are the one who posts it.:rainbowlaugh:

This is a great fic. Favourited!

"Well, if that's true, then I guess these two are better than the best."

Yes, everything was indeed awesome.

Roll credits! *ding* (CinemaSins joke)
6505520 Yeah, I can see that now that I think about it.

Oh, and for your comment, I award you this!

..............*twitch*
6527998

Also, aw, there was no kiss at the end :|

TCHKBRGFMGSTIKAVTIVE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I'll be a short time before I properly review. I have other things to do first and rereading will help me make sure I get the whole picture or remember everything right.

6529026 Toying with the idea of a sequel, huh? Maybe you could even throw in a plot for both team Krystal and team twidash that run parallel to each other? Maybe just a single plot with both teams in it, multiple perspectives? It would be interesting to see how you would expand on this; you've given yourself plenty of oppertunity and room to do so. It's a very large world. You could even focus on team Gilda. Again, you have lots of wiggle room here.
But really, after shoving that Twidash ship into our faces with about as much subtlety as a hundred tons of exploding dynamite, a sequel that could further that would be fun...




...







That Twidash ship tease was cruel.:fluttershysad:

We get a little world exploration, a little cultural enlightenment, and a warm, sweet story between two close friends. I really enjoyed it. :twilightsmile:

6536955 I hated that movie. I liked Hans, though.

That ending was really sweet...

As someone who is really close to their Da, I am happy to see Dash reconciling with her family.

:twilightsmile:

Rainbow rolled her eyes. "No, I don't have a coltfriend." She grinned at the two of them. "But I did bring a very good [mare]friend."

6642739
:rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh:

Thanks so much for reading!

6643342
You're welcome! I just regret that it took so long for me to get around to reading it. It was a wonderful ending to a wonderful story.

I'm going to get 3 hours less sleep tonight because I got absorbed in this story. Totally worth it :-)

Great Story.
I liked it a lot.
Sorta like a Princess version of Wild, Sweet & Cool. I say that as a compliment, I really liked that story too.

I do really enjoy the dynamic between Twilight and Dash. It might be why I'm sold on the TwiDash ship, if I'm allowed to choose. But, it's not really about the ship, at least not always; it's about the characters and how close they can get.
They are different yet similar.

I often look for slice of life, friendshipping, if you prefer, with Twilight and Dash interaction. And this fic is one that I found.

It did not disappoint.
This was a really enjoyable read. I enjoyed your depiction of both Twi' and Dash, as well as the situation you built here that included good portions of Dash's both canon, and some fanon, history.

So, the dynamic I talked about? It's here.
The worldbuilding, it's interesting.
The politics. The drama. The decisions. The griffin lore. The old wounds. The new ones.
And the friendships, holding out.
It's all good.

Have my thumb and fav'
:twilightsmile:

This was an amazing story. Really enjoyed it. :twilightsmile:

10825596
Thanks! I'm glad you liked it.

Well, I really liked that story. I don't typically enjoy 'redemptions' but Gilda and LD were handled quite well.

Login or register to comment