• Published 29th Oct 2014
  • 4,129 Views, 269 Comments

Better than the Best - BronyDad



Rainbow Dash convinces Twilight to enter a flying pairs competition with her.

  • ...
7
 269
 4,129

Confessions

Chapter 11

Confessions

As she continued down the path toward Mt. Aerie, her injured wing fully extended and bouncing awkwardly as she walked, Twilight fumed over the things Rainbow had said.

She had been shocked by Rainbow's rage; never before had she seen her friend lose herself like that. Her desire to beat Lightning Dust had transformed her into a near identical clone of her rival, and as long as Rainbow remained that pony, Twilight wanted nothing to do with her.

But worse still had been Rainbow's complete disregard for her injury. Twilight glanced back at her wing as she felt another twinge. She had no idea how badly she had hurt it, and a new surge of anger rose within her as she remembered Rainbow's reaction. How could she have acted so indifferently?

She sighed. The train should arrive in Ponyville early in the morning, and if her wing was still hurting then, she would visit the spa. Fluttershy had once told her that there was an excellent masseuse there that specialized in wing therapy.

"Twilight!"

Upon hearing her name called from a distance, Twilight turned around, careful not to move too quickly lest she cause further injury to her wing. Finding nopony behind her, she frowned, but then raised her gaze to the sky.

Far above, she spotted Gilda gliding toward her, waving a talon to get her attention. Twilight returned the wave and sat, wondering what more damage the Griffon could possibly cause. It wasn't that she was angry with Gilda, although she did wish the Griffon would have kept Rainbow's secret from Lightning, but the entire situation the three of them had found themselves in was infinitely frustrating to her.

As Gilda reached Twilight, she began to fly slow circles overhead. "Do you know where Dash is?"

Twilight rolled her eyes. "I don't know, and I don't care."

"What?" Gilda landed directly in front of her. "What do you mean 'I don't care'? How could you not care? Didn't you see how upset she was?"

"Maybe because she's a huge jerk?" Twilight sidestepped Gilda and continued down the path.

Quickly taking to the air and landing in front of her again, Gilda said, "I was a huge jerk too, but you gave me another chance."

This brought Twilight pause. Gilda made a good point; if she had deserved a second chance, then didn't Rainbow? After everything they had done together, all the great things they had accomplished, was she really willing to just throw it all away?

But then she remembered Rainbow trying to coax her back into the air, and her blatant disregard for her injury, and the anger coiled inside her chest reawoke.

"This is different," she muttered as she tried to push past Gilda.

"Is it?" Gilda asked as she blocked Twilight's escape. "You're angry right now, Twilight, and trust me, I know what that can do to your judgment." Seeing that Twilight was about to retort, she quickly added, "I just don't want you to make the same mistake I did."

Twilight blinked. "The same...mistake?"

"I spent the last couple of years regretting what I did in Ponyville," Gilda admitted, turning her gaze to the dirt path. "In just one afternoon, I lost my best friend. But she was more than even that, she had become a part of me. I hadn't even realized it until she was gone, but suddenly, I felt so empty. I thought about going back to Ponyville and talking to her, a lot, but I always talked myself out of it. I believed that she wouldn't want to see me again. I know now that I was just letting my fears get the best of me.

"And then I met Lightning Dust. She was so much like Dash, I just had to be her friend." Gilda chuckled humorlessly. "That's when my hatred for Dash began. Hanging out with Light, it became really easy to place all the blame on Dash, and it wasn't long before I believed that she had been the one who betrayed me. From then on, my anger toward her grew and grew, and when I finally met her again, I was convinced that I had something to settle."

Without warning, Gilda reared up and gripped Twilight's shoulders, and she was surprised to find that the feathers around the Griffon's eyes were wet. "If you don't make up with her now, you'll regret it later. And by then, it could be too late."

Twilight swallowed hard as thousands of memories began flashing through her mind. Was her relationship with Rainbow really going to end over a stupid tree branch? She knew she owed her friend more than that.

With a heavy sigh, Twilight nodded. "You're right, Gilda. I suppose I should try to find Rainbow, and at least try for some measure of damage control."

"Now that's the reaction I was hoping to get from you." Gilda smiled and then leaped into the air. "Let's go find Dash!"

Twilight sat back on her haunches. "I can't..."

Gilda skidded to a halt and looked back at her incredulously. "What do you mean? You just agreed to go look for her."

"No, I mean I can't fly." Twilight indicated her wing. "I hurt my wing."

"Oh no." Gilda quickly landed. "How'd you do it? Is it okay?"

Twilight shook her head. "I don't know. I clipped it on a branch. It hurts when I try to fold it, or when I flap."

"Ouch." Gilda grimaced. Then, after a brief hesitation, she said, "I could take a look at it, if...uh, you don't mind."

"That would be great," Twilight said with a self-conscious smile. "I'm really worried about it, I have no idea how much damage I've done." As she watched Gilda move closer and inspect her wing, Twilight couldn't help but say in a resentful tone, "Rainbow didn't even care. All she cared about was getting me back into the sky again."

"Yeah," Gilda nodded. "That's what I think you should do too."

With a start, Twilight backpedaled away from Gilda. "Wait, what?"

"You bruised it pretty good," Gilda said, "but there isn't any real damage."

"No damage?" Twilight repeated. "Then why does it hurt so badly when I move it?"

"Our wings are very sensitive," Gilda explained. "Even the smallest bumps and scraps can be really painful. Haven't you ever banged them on something before, or even rolled over on one?"

"Oh yes," Twilight affirmed, "I've laid on them awkwardly many times. And I banged one on a doorframe once."

"And what did you do after?" Gilda asked. "Did you walk around with it fully extended like you are now?"

"No, I flex them," Twilight answered. "A few flaps usually help ease the pain."

"Right, and this is the same sort of thing," Gilda said. "It hurts way more than you're used to, but if you get up there and start flying, the pain should get easier to bear pretty quick. But if you keep babying it like you are now, it's gonna keep hurting longer."

"Really? I thought I'd hurt it worse than that. So...then maybe Rainbow wasn't being insensitive..." Twilight's eyes went wide as she covered her mouth with her hoof. "Oh my gosh, she knew! She was giving me the best advice she could, and I didn't trust her. I'm such an idiot!" She turned an imploring gaze toward Gilda. "I've got to find her! I've got to tell her I'm sorry!"

"Then, let's go!" Gilda cried as she lifted off once more.

Resolutely, Twilight extended her other wing, and with several hard flaps, lifted into the sky. Immediately, the pain in her wing intensified, but with a newfound determination, she kept flapping.

As Twilight bit her lip against the pain and struggled to gain altitude, Gilda swooped down and took her hooves. "It hurts a lot, I know, but it's cool. Flap it off, just flap it off."

The pain slowly began to ease off as Twilight continued to ascend until it was nothing more than a dull ache. This confirmation of what Gilda had said upset her greatly, and further fueled her desire to find Rainbow.

"You cool?" Gilda asked.

"Yeah." As soon as Gilda released her hooves, Twilight threw her forelegs around the Griffon's neck. "Thank you for coming after me. You saved me from making the worst mistake of my life."

She felt her friend stiffen against her embrace, but slowly relax until finally, she returned the hug. "Thank you for the second chance, Princess."

For some reason, Gilda's choice to use the word 'Princess' just seemed to fit, and for the first time, Twilight felt a stirring of pride from the title.

Once Gilda pulled away, Twilight stated, "Let's head back toward the competition grounds. If we don't find her by then, we can split up and search."

"Right."

Ignoring the ache in her wing, Twilight followed Gilda back toward the competition grounds. As they flew, she scanned the forest below, as well as the numerous clouds in the sky above, watching closely for a glimpse of the telltale rainbow hued mane.

Gilda nudged her. "Look, it's Krystle's dad."

Twilight turned her gaze straight ahead, and spotted Nasir racing toward them. He slowed as he neared. "Are you looking for Rainbow?"

"Yes," Twilight responded eagerly. "Do you know where she is?"

Nasir turned and pointed to a clearing in the trees off in the distance. "She's at the lake with Krystle." He patted her shoulder. "Go get your friend back, Princess."

"Thank you, Nasir," Twilight said as she started off.

Her injured wing all but forgotten, Twilight outpaced Gilda as her desire to reach Rainbow enveloped all other thoughts. She had no idea what she was going to say, or what she could do to make up for her past actions, but she didn't care. All that mattered was that she be there for her friend.

As they drew closer to the lake, Twilight caught sight of Rainbow sitting on the bank, facing away from them. Directly beside her sat Krystle, and as she watched, the little Griffon skipped a stone across the surface of the lake.

Suddenly, Gilda surprised Twilight by going into an early dive, but she quickly followed suit. They landed in a clearing several yards away, and without a word, Gilda began to lead the way through the brush.

"Why did we land back here?" Twilight asked.

"I don't think it's a good idea for Dash to see me right now. She's pretty angry with me." She offered a small smile as she tentatively raised a talon to her face. "And my beak still hurts."

Twilight cocked an eyebrow. "Then why were you even out looking for her in the first place?"

Gilda shrugged. "I guess I hadn't thought that far ahead yet."

A small smile crept onto her face at the Griffon's words, but quickly died as she reached the tree line. Standing motionless, she watched Rainbow's slump form lift a rock and skip it across the water as a subdued Krystle readied her next one.

"That was a good one," Rainbow said in a voice that brimmed with sadness as she watched Krystle's rock bounce toward the center of the lake.

Krystle remained silent as Rainbow selected another rock, but just as she was about to throw it, the little Griffon asked, "How did you get so good at this?"

Rainbow paused with her foreleg cocked, then let the rock drop with a sigh. "I used to do this with my dad."

Krystle perked up. "Really?" But then she tilted her head. "Wait, didn't you just say that you don't like skipping stones?"

"I never liked it." Rainbow hung her head and poked at the small pile of rocks beside her. "My dad was head weather pony of the southern region of Equestria, so he was away a lot, and didn't have much time for me. But once every month, on the third weekend, we would go get mane cuts together. Then he would take me wherever I wanted to go for lunch, and then we would head down to the lake and skip stones. I don't know why he liked it so much, but I never had the heart to tell him. It was our time together, and even though I hated skipping stones, when I was with him it was my favorite thing in the world."

"Does your daddy have time for you now?" Krystle asked.

Twilight heard Rainbow sniff. "No. I haven't talked to him in a really long time."

"How come?"

"Because I'm stupid. Because I push ponies that care about me away."

"Like Princess Twilight?"

"Yeah," Rainbow spoke in a shaky breath. "To me, Twilight is more than a friend, more than a princess even. Twilight's the best thing that's ever happened to me. I've learned so much about myself in the time I've spent with her. It's because of her that I'm in the Wonderbolt Reserves, and it's because of her that I've finally decided to go back and face Dad.

"But I let my need to win ruin everything. I wanted to beat Gilda and Lightning Dust so badly that I...I lost myself. And I yelled at Twilight and treated her like garbage." Rainbow suddenly growled and kicked the pile of stones, sending them skittering across the bank. "Why am I always so stupid?"

Twilight took a deep breath and wiped her eyes before stepping forward. "The last thing I'd ever call you is stupid, Rainbow Dash."

With a start, Rainbow whipped around. "Twilight!"

In her haste to reach her, Rainbow stumbled on the rocks that she had piled and nearly went facedown into the dirt. Somehow managing to keep her balance, Rainbow raced forward and embraced her. "I'm so sorry, Twi. For everything. I've been such a lousy friend."

Twilight squeezed her tight. "I know you are, Dash. And I haven't been the best of friends myself." She released her friend and stepped back. "I tried flying, and you were right. My wing is fine. I-I should have trusted you. I'm sorry."

"How could you have trusted me with the way I was acting?" Rainbow shook her head. "I didn't stop to think about how new your wings are to you, or how scary it must have been to feel that kind of pain. Actually, I haven't really been thinking much at all lately. I've just been...reacting." Her ears drooped as she met Twilight's gaze. "And you've taken the brunt of it."

"Rainbow, it's—"

"Hold up a sec, Twilight. I've got something to say, something I've been wanting to say since I told you about my parents. The problem is, it's ridiculously sappy." Rainbow offered a small smile. "And you know me. Give me a minute too long to think about it, and I'll find a reason to not say it.

"The truth is...I really look up to you, Twilight. You're everything I want to be." Rainbow sat back on her haunches, her eyes roaming everywhere except for Twilight's. "At the Wonderbolt Academy, Spitfire said I was a leader, but you're tiers above me. You led us against Discord, and even saved us all from his powers, you found the crystal heart and made the decision to send it with Spike to save the Crystal Empire, and you were even brave enough to give up the elements to save the Tree of Harmony. I know I wouldn't have been brave enough to make that decision.

"The only reason I made lead pony in the academy was because I turned in Lightning Dust, and ever since then, I've wondered if I would have achieved it if she hadn't been there." She shook her head. "And I didn't know. But I do know that I would never have passed that Wonderbolt's history test without you. So I started to ask myself, do I even deserve to be a Wonderbolt? And again, I didn't know."

Rainbow finally met her gaze. "And then I overheard a couple of Griffons talking about this competition while we were at Rainbow Falls. I'd forgotten about this competition, and hearing about it again made me think of how much I missed Dad, which made me think of how close I was feeling with you. Then it suddenly hit me, you know? You were still a novice flier, and not very confident in your abilities. It was perfect! I could take you under my wing and coach you, teach you everything I know and turn you into a flying ace. I would lead you in the competition, and if I succeeded, then I would finally know that I did deserve my place as lead pony at the academy...and maybe even deserve to be a Wonderbolt."

Twilight scratched her head. "So then...you didn't bring me here to impress the Wonderbolts?"

"Like I said a little bit ago, it'd be really cool if we did well and they heard about it, but no, that's not why I brought you here. I came here to prove to myself that I can be a leader, but I think you know how that turned out." Rainbow hung her head as her entire body seemed to slump. "I never intended to put so much pressure on you, and I didn't come here to win. Honest. I let Lightning and Gilda get to me, and I lost sight of what was important. So...I guess I got my answer now. I'm not cut out for leadership.

"Still...I learned a lot about myself here, and not all of it was bad. I'm ready to go back to Dad. I may not be the success that I've always fantasized I'd be when facing him, but I know that you were right when you said that he'd be proud." Without warning, she took Twilight's hoof in her own. "I really owe you big time for this, Twilight, and I'll do anything to make it up to you. Just name it, and it's done."

"Rainbow Dash..." Twilight paused as the Pegasus's sentiment caused a lump to form in her throat. "You're not the only one at fault here. I've made a lot of mistakes, more than I even knew.

"I just assumed that you were here to prove yourself to the Wonderbolts. That you weren't happy with being in the reserves and that you wanted to wait until you were a full-fledged Wonderbolt so you could prove your father wrong. That was foolish of me." She turned her gaze away, suddenly finding it difficult to meet Rainbow's eyes. "I also haven't been as understanding and supportive as I should have been. I knew how upset Lightning and Gilda were making you, and I knew that your competitive spirit was getting away from you, but instead of simply sitting down and talking to you about it, I let my frustrations get the better of me. I guess...I lost sight of what was important too, and I'm sorry."

Rainbow hugged her tightly as she began to cry. "I love you, Twilight."

Smiling through her tears, Twilight said, "I love you too, Dash."

Hearing a sniffle from beside them, they both turned to find Krystle wiping her eyes.

"Aww...come here, squirt," Rainbow said as she scooped Krystle up and embraced her.

Suddenly remembering Gilda, Twilight cleared her throat. "Umm...so Rainbow, I've got a confession to make."

Rainbow looked at her over Krystle's head. "What's up?"

"Yesterday, after our fight, I sort of had dinner with Gilda."

"Really?" Rainbow replied, her eyes widening in surprise.

"Yeah." Twilight nodded. "It wasn't intentional. I just ducked into a restaurant to get away from everyone bowing to me, and she just happened to be there. She approached me and we talked, and then Pinkie showed up because you know her, she always seems to know where you're at. Anyway, the two of them made up for what happened in Ponyville, and well...I consider her a friend now."

Rainbow frowned. "Why didn't you tell me?"

Twilight lowered her gaze to the ground. "I was afraid you would be angry if you found out. I know I shouldn't have kept it from you...I guess you can just add it to my pile of mistakes."

"Well, seeing as how I've lost my head more in the last three days than I have in the last three months, I totally understand why you didn't want to tell me." Rainbow playfully punched her shoulder. "Don't worry about it, Twilight. It's cool."

Twilight offered a small smile. "I'm very glad to hear that."

"So, that's why you were so pushy about me talking to Gilda, huh? I was wondering about that. You seemed so upset when I refused." A slow smile formed on Rainbow's face as she contemplated what she had just learned. "If it's that important to you, then maybe I will talk to her."

Twilight shuffled nervously. "There's one more thing."

Rainbow made a face. "Oh, please Celestia, don't tell me you befriended Lightning too."

This made Twilight laugh. "No, I think that would be well beyond me." With a glance at the brush behind her, she turned serious. "I was so mad at you, Dash, that I was on my way to the train station. But someone talked some sense into me and made me realize how much you meant to me. They made me see what a huge mistake it would have been to leave."

Rainbow looked as though the air had just been knocked out of her. "You...you were leaving? Oh my gosh, Twilight, I had no idea I'd hurt you that badly. If you would have left...I would never have forgiven myself."

Twilight had to struggle to talk around the lump in her throat. "Honestly, Rainbow, if I had left, I probably wouldn't have forgiven myself either."

"So...who stopped you?" Rainbow asked. "Was it Nasir? He knew how upset I was. I think that's why he sent Krystle with me."

"No, Dash, it was Gilda, and she's here now." As Rainbow gasped in surprise, Twilight waved toward the brush and Gilda emerged.

"Hey, Dash," Gilda said hesitantly.

"H-hi...G..."

For a long moment, neither of them would look at the other, but then Rainbow took a step forward. "So...does your beak still hurt?"

Gilda kept her gaze determinedly focused on the ground. "A little."

"Good." Rainbow nodded curtly, but then her ears drooped. "But I appreciate you being there for Twilight since, you know...I wasn't."

"No prob," Gilda replied quietly.

Scratching the back of her neck and sparing a quick glance at Twilight, Gilda finally met Rainbow's gaze. "I'm really sorry I told Light about your parents, Dash. At the time, I didn't think I'd ever see you again. I-I know that's not a good enough excuse, that I still should have kept your secret, but that's all I've got. If you want to hate me for it, I don't blame you, but there's something I need to say. It's something I've wanted to say for a long time.

"I'm sorry, Dash. I'm sorry for the way I treated your friends back in Ponyville, for leaving like I did and never coming back, and I'm especially sorry that I let Lightning convince me that everything was your fault. It was just so much easier to hate you than to face the pain of losing you." Gilda smiled humorlessly. "I guess I'm the one who turned out to be queen lame-o."

"Yeah, I guess so," Rainbow mumbled.

Gilda sighed heavily, and slowly nodding her head, she began to turn away.

"But then," Rainbow continued, "I've been pretty lame recently myself." She totted over and raised her hoof. "And you know what they say about Pegasi of a feather."

Beaming, Gilda bumped her hoof. "Thanks, Dash."

"Don't thank me," Rainbow retorted. "Thank Twilight and Pinkie. If they count you as a friend, then so do I." Her ears laid back and her eyes narrowed. "But if you want us to be the way we used to be, then you need to make up with Fluttershy. She's really sensitive, and the way you screamed at her really upset her. A lot. She's probably gonna be terrified of you, so you'd better be patient."

"Okay..." Gilda swallowed hard. "Uh, which one is Fluttershy?"

Rainbow scowled. "The one in the marketplace that was leading a line of ducks."

"Ugh." Lowering her head, Gilda covered her eyes. "I forgot about her. Is it even possible to apologize for something so mean?"

"It is with Fluttershy," Rainbow replied matter-of-factly. "If you can manage that, then I'll forgive you for everything."

"Consider it done," Gilda said. Then she grasped Rainbow's hoof, and they both turned sideways and slapped wings. Suddenly, they laughed and hugged fiercely.

"It's really great to have you back, G," Rainbow sniffed.

"You too, Dash," Gilda whispered.

"So, Twilight," Rainbow said as she released Gilda. "You ready to go get the others and head back home?"

"What?!" Twilight exclaimed. "You want to go back home? What about Event Three?"

"Pfft, Event Three, Shmee. I don't need this stupid contest anymore. I've got the most totally awesome friends anypony could ever ask for, and if I deserve to be with you, then I definitely deserve to be a Wonderbolt." She tilted her head toward Krystle. "Besides, team Pony Princesses are Pretty have this in the bag."

Krystle giggled. "I think I want to change my team name now."

"Oh, really?" Rainbow blinked. "To what?"

"Dads Rule!" Krystle cried with a bright smile.

Rainbow laughed. "That's an awesome name!"

"Rainbow, are you sure about this?" Twilight asked with concern.

Waving a hoof dismissively, Rainbow answered, "I know now that I'm Wonderbolt material, and I'm finally ready to face Dad." She grinned and nudged her with a foreleg. "And who knows, if I keep hanging out with you, maybe I will be up to snuff as a leader someday. What more is there?"

Rainbow's words resonated deeply in Twilight's mind, and her thoughts immediately turned to what Nasir had told her earlier that day. He had said that everyone, even Hans and Princess Celestia, sometimes needed to be held up by their friends. He and Rainbow were right. Twilight now understood that Celestia had chosen her to be princess, not because she was deemed better than the others, but because the others loved her so adamantly.

The true value of a pony isn't by their deeds, but by how much they are loved. Because when a pony is loved, they become something greater than what they could ever be on their own. And if they allow that love to blossom, and are careful to never devalue it, then they can never fail. Twilight knew then why she had ascended while Star Swirl the Bearded hadn't. She had an open heart that accepted all of her friends' love, and treasured it for its true worth, and that in turn had completed his unfinished spell. Now she knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that she deserved her title. Her friends had raised her to the crown, and thanks to them, she would never fall.

Feeling happier than she had since arriving at Mt. Aerie, Twilight smiled. "Okay, Rainbow. Let's go home."

"Actually, you might wanna stay, Dash," Gilda suddenly spoke up.

Rainbow cocked an eyebrow. "Why?"

"Well, I promised I wouldn't tell anyone, but," she glanced over at Twilight, "you're a princess, so I don't really feel bad telling you.

"Remember Gus? The guy you suckered me into spending the evening with? Well, he told me that he's received two reservations from the Wonderbolts, Spitfire and Soarin. Apparently, they're gonna make a surprise appearance tonight to watch Event Three."

Twilight and Rainbow looked at one another, and she saw the excitement dancing in her friend's eyes. With a wide grin, she said, "I kind of like the idea of showing the Wonderbolts just how well you trained me, Rainbow Dash."

"Are you sure, Twilight?" Rainbow looked a little worried. "Because you don't have to do this."

"I know." Twilight stepped forward and nuzzled her affectionately. "That's why I want to."

With an excited laugh, Rainbow blasted into the air and performed a couple of advanced aerial maneuvers that made Twilight dizzy just watching. "We are totally going to blow their minds, Twilight! I didn't want to say anything back in Ponyville cause I didn't want to make you overconfident, but you've got our routine down pat! You're gonna look as good as me out there, Twi!"

"Who wants to race back to the competition grounds?" Krystle challenged.

"Bring it on, squirt!" Rainbow cried as she landed directly beside the little Griffon.

"I'm game," Gilda agreed with a grin.

Twilight laughed as she watched the three of them. "Only if I get a head start."

Rainbow rolled her eyes. "Fine, whatever." Suddenly she gave her a scandalous look. "But no magic this time!"

"Don't be a sore loser!" she called as she took to the air and flew as fast as she could; the pain in her wing all but gone.

Moments later, the others were rocketing past her, and the four of them laughed all the way back to the grounds.